PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson playing point guard?

JustBlaze31
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Does anyone else believe Iverson should play point guard next year instead of Carter? Iverson is arguably better at the SG position, but their backcourt is too small and can get killed by a backcourt like the Lakers. Plus, J.R. Smith is better then Carter so I'd like this lineup.

pg-AI
sg-J.R.
sf-Carmelo
pf-K-Mart
c-Nene

Kohaku
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Problem is that AI would much rather play sg than pg cuz he's shoot first pass second type of person.

3RDASYSTEM
08-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Iverson Shoulda Been Playin Point Jus Like How He Flourished When Obrien Was Coach In Philly, Cant Recall His Stats But He Didnt Have No Where Near Talent Level Like He Has Now In Denver, I Dont Believe In Moral Victories But I Do Believe Nuggets Blew Like 5-8 Games Last Yr But So Did Other Teams, But 55-58 Wins Would Have Them At The 1-3 Seed Instead Of 8, They Need Start Jr And Ai Not Only Cuz Of Size But Athletic Abiltiy And It Would Make The Offense Way More Lethal Cuz Teams Dont Play Carter But Havin Smith On The Floor To Start Teams Cant Load Up On Melo/ai, Only Way They Dont Do It Is If They Sign Livingston Who Is 6'7"

DenButsu
08-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Problem is that AI would much rather play sg than pg cuz he's shoot first pass second type of person.

And the next problem is that George Karl would much rather let AI play any damn way he wants than actually coach the team as it needs to be coached, and delegate responsibilities to the players in order to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the roster.

TheFuture6
08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't want Iverson to be the PG?

C-Dub
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
haha....not me, unless we get like Hinrich or somethin

JustBlaze31
08-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Iverson Shoulda Been Playin Point Jus Like How He Flourished When Obrien Was Coach In Philly, Cant Recall His Stats But He Didnt Have No Where Near Talent Level Like He Has Now In Denver, I Dont Believe In Moral Victories But I Do Believe Nuggets Blew Like 5-8 Games Last Yr But So Did Other Teams, But 55-58 Wins Would Have Them At The 1-3 Seed Instead Of 8, They Need Start Jr And Ai Not Only Cuz Of Size But Athletic Abiltiy And It Would Make The Offense Way More Lethal Cuz Teams Dont Play Carter But Havin Smith On The Floor To Start Teams Cant Load Up On Melo/ai, Only Way They Dont Do It Is If They Sign Livingston Who Is 6'7"

Exactly, having JR on the court can help Iverson and Melo score as well but dam George Karl wants to start Carter who I think would be better off the bench

Game_Over
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I agree with this, who freakin cares what AI wants he should want whats best for the team!! JR should be starting and AI should be making more passes.. That won't happen though cause just like the last guy says Karl has a man crush on Carter for some unknown reason.. I tell you what though I think this is a make or break for Karl and if it doesn't start going the right way him and Melo are going to collide.. Just a prediction I don't think both will be back next year maybe niether one but I see bad things next year with those two..

chaugh970
08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Is there anyone who doesn't want Iverson to be the PG?

Actually id rather see JR step into the starting point guard roll. He can guard the bigger guard on D and AI stays at the SG. JR has showed small signs of brilliance when they give him the load at point. He's also young enough to mold his game still.

hoopitup
08-19-2008, 01:15 AM
iverson pretty much is the point guard all he does is dribble the ball around. and why dont we just trade for a good point guard...

TheAnswer037108
08-19-2008, 03:21 AM
I would love to see that. It would make our team a lot more potent than having Antony Carter. But then our bench would be a lil weak. Either way ya look at it, the Nuggets need a BIG combo guard....

BenFrank
08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Now were starting 2 make some sense, Iverson might wanna play the 2, but he's a pg, he was drafted a pg, he's the size of a pg, and when he's in the game.. he guard's pg's..

I don't care what nobody say's.. Anthony carter suck's, that's why thay tried to bring in chucky Adkins 2 replace him but we all kno that situation

Karl gone have 2 man up.. he's only hurtin the team, if thay play the laker's thay gone get swept again because of matchup problems, Iverson could dominate at the point, he's a good underrated passer.. either start JR, or find a starting 2.. and get a 4 or 5 who's can score in the post.. I don't see why thay didn't go after mike miller or ron artest

If Iverson really want's 2 win.. he gotta except his roll and play point

TheAnswer037108
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Now were starting 2 make some sense, Iverson might wanna play the 2, but he's a pg, he was drafted a pg, he's the size of a pg, and when he's in the game.. he guard's pg's..

I don't care what nobody say's.. Anthony carter suck's, that's why thay tried to bring in chucky Adkins 2 replace him but we all kno that situation

Karl gone have 2 man up.. he's only hurtin the team, if thay play the laker's thay gone get swept again because of matchup problems, Iverson could dominate at the point, he's a good underrated passer.. either start JR, or find a starting 2.. and get a 4 or 5 who's can score in the post.. I don't see why thay didn't go after mike miller or ron artest

If Iverson really want's 2 win.. he gotta except his roll and play point

Agreed. Either start JR or get Shaun Livingston!

zamudio_jorge
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
thats always been a problem with allen iverson (the team adapt to iverson and iverson not adapt to the team) nuggets make a bad deal with sixers.

they could play good years and maybe win a first round series with :

pg miller
sg smith
sf anthony
pf martin
c camby

TheFuture6
08-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Actually id rather see JR step into the starting point guard roll. He can guard the bigger guard on D and AI stays at the SG. JR has showed small signs of brilliance when they give him the load at point. He's also young enough to mold his game still.

I wouldn't be opposed to that either, J.R. did play the point for most of preseason, and a bit while Carter and Atkins were both hurt at the beginning of last season. Either way Iverson and Smith should be the two starting guards.

GoCubbies65
08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
J.R. Smith in my opinion should be the point guard, he can shoot the three ball fairly consistently and has some good driving and passing skills. It also gives AI the chance to get open for shots like he should be.

If JR is given the chance to be a PG I also think he could mold his game into a good PG.

Thats my thought at least. What do you guys think?

DenButsu
08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I think the main problem with having JR start at the point - or play too many minutes there at all - is that he's really just too turnover prone to be the primary ball handler. Now granted, he did make a good amount of progress in reducing his tendency to make costly mistakes over the course of last season. So he is probably better qualified to take that role now than a year ago. I do like his ability to make quick decisions - he's not a "dominate the ball" type guard, generally. He'll either dish it off or shoot within a few seconds usually. And I think the time he did spend at point at the beginning of last season when both AC and Chucky were injured did help him shift towards a more pass-oriented mentality.

Basically, if both AI and JR are on the court for the better part of the game, I think that's the best scenario - whether JR starts or not, and whether he or AI is the point. JR needs 30 minutes. If he's getting that kind of pt, I really don't care whether he or AI is at the 1. My two main concerns would just be that they don't turn the ball over too much, and (as always) that AI distributes it around better and in a more timely fashion on the possessions when he doesn't shoot. (And sometimes even on the ones when he does shoot he'd get a much better look if he gave it away and let it come back to him after a couple passes. He really seems afraid to let go of that rock sometimes).

Mario
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
AI is the best passer on the team, yea he's shoot first but he's drops 7-8 dimes a night, he can play point

C-Dub
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
and thats when he plays both the 1 and 2, not just 1

DenButsu
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
AI is a great passer. But he's a slooooooow decision maker. He gets his share of dimes, but they usually happen with about 6-11 seconds remaining on the shot clock, after he's dribbled the rock around for a while.

C-Dub
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
hes just a patient passer, he doesnt like to rush things, lol