PDA

View Full Version : A Bat?

cocossox
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking we need a right handed bat to help out off the bench also to take some of the sting away from losing Lowell any ideas?

BoSox47
08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Waiver deal for Raul Ibanez. Put Ibanez at first base and move Youk back to 3rd base

Edit: another option could be picking up Richie Sexson, he hasnt been doing great this season against right handed pitching but he has been destroying left handed pitching .325 avg 6 hr 18 rbi .414 obp. Plus Seattle is paying off the majority of his contract so the red sox could easily pick him up.

He would fit will into situations when the Sox face some tough competition such as the Tampa Bay Rays and Kazmir is on the mound, and Joe Saunders of the Angels.

With the loss of Lowell Richie Sexson and Ibanez can be a quick fix. Ibanez would be my first selection though he is having a great year and Sexson is slumping and would be more of a situational hitter off the bench

NESports2004
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
so much rather see ibanez but may not be worth what would give up.

Yankees tried Sexson and look where it got them, no thanks ill pass on him.

The Intimidator
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Didn't Ibanez get claimed on waivers by someone? And then didn't whoever claimed him not work out a trade with Seattle? That's what I heard.

sboyajian
08-18-2008, 10:09 PM
our offense is fine.

lil'papi
08-19-2008, 08:45 AM
our offense is fine.

Go back and look at quality pitchers and how we hit them. What scares me and does with any team is how they do against top pitchers. This is basically a playoff preview.

We aren't very good as it was very evident against the BJ's.

I'd say they are good against weak pitching. Top pitchers seem to own us to often this year.

Nickday
08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
our offense is more than fine right now. we never do well against the Blue Jays. learn to live with it. not like we're ever gonna have to worry about them knocking us out of the alcs or anything...
francona doesn't use the bench THAT MUCH anyway. he gets crapped on for it, too. a new face wont change that. the trade of bay's changed the look of this team for the better. everyone looks happy to be playing (except beckett after his last start) and is playing well.

lil'papi
08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
our offense is more than fine right now. we never do well against the Blue Jays. learn to live with it. not like we're ever gonna have to worry about them knocking us out of the alcs or anything...
francona doesn't use the bench THAT MUCH anyway. he gets crapped on for it, too. a new face wont change that. the trade of bay's changed the look of this team for the better. everyone looks happy to be playing (except beckett after his last start) and is playing well.

We are 2-8 iirc against them , the reason good pitching. THEY CAN knock us out we have a bunch more games with them 10-11 or something.....
We go 2-8 or 2-9 we could be out looking in.

futureheisman
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
very unlikely

yaowowrocket11
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I believe that Ibanez is not eligible to be claimed.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
The Red Sox were one of a few teams, according to a major league source, who put in a trade waiver claim on Seattle outfielder Raul Ibanez, but the Sox were not awarded the claim as an undisclosed team with a worse record than the Red Sox had a 48-hour window to work out a deal with the Mariners. The Seattle Times reported that the Tigers and Twins also put in a claim on Ibanez. The Twins were also trying to land Jarrod Washburn so they could move one of their starters to the bullpen. The paper reported that both players - Washburn and Ibanez - were likely staying put in Seattle.
Source: Boston Globe

cocossox
08-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Go back and look at quality pitchers and how we hit them. What scares me and does with any team is how they do against top pitchers. This is basically a playoff preview.

We aren't very good as it was very evident against the BJ's.

I'd say they are good against weak pitching. Top pitchers seem to own us to often this year.I 100% agree that's why imo an extra bat can't hurt if we could get one right handed i'm hoping for.

futureheisman
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
aubery huff

yaowowrocket11
08-24-2008, 09:11 PM
aubery huff

:nod:

Would be the Red Sox best choice IMO.

Osiagledknarf
08-25-2008, 12:11 AM
I said it in one of the other threads, but I think it bears repeating...

At some point you have to just buck up and deal with what you got. There's not much out there...they're gonna have to step it up and hope for quick heals from Lowell, Drew, and others.

There's not much out there.

lil'papi
08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Well we have guys going down weekly at some point what we have ain't enough.

JD Drew 's on a milk carton now.
Lowell we have no clue about , but rumors are NYY this week.
Lugo, done.
Casey slept on Drew's pillow and has a sore neck.
Beckett hopefully is ok.
Wake does he carry over.

We need some warm bodies. Ellsbury ran full steam into the chicken wire last night.

Aubrey Huff for some reason it seems the RS aren't interested or feel they have little chance of landing him. Or flat out don't want him.
We NEED guys to step up too.

Tek seems to be waking up at the right time. Coco even.
I have a feeling they are waiting for the callups.

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 08:23 AM
The problem with Huff is that he's on the books for $8M next year. Realistically we need him only as a stopgap this season so signing up for another $8M back up IF does not make a lot of sense. I suppose he'd be more versatile than Casey, but also 10x more expensive.

lil'papi
08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't believe the Orioles will deal with us.
We could always move him over the winter , worst case. I think they are just holding out seeing they know more than we do. (injury wise)

They probably want Lester in any deal.:rolleyes:

Crucis
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
The problem with Huff is that he's on the books for $8M next year. Realistically we need him only as a stopgap this season so signing up for another $8M back up IF does not make a lot of sense. I suppose he'd be more versatile than Casey, but also 10x more expensive.

I also doubt that a guy in the final year of his contract and at his age (Huff, not Casey) would be happy to be a backup on the Sox, rather than starting somewhere else.

Let's face it. You're rarely going to every end up with really good players who will be happy to be backups in the best earning years of their career, particularly in a contract year. They're going to want to play full time, so that they can enhance their value on the free agent market.

It's why you end up with either older veterans, only marginally talented journeyman, or youngsters on the bench.

NESports2004
08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
I also doubt that a guy in the final year of his contract and at his age (Huff, not Casey) would be happy to be a backup on the Sox, rather than starting somewhere else.

Let's face it. You're rarely going to every end up with really good players who will be happy to be backups in the best earning years of their career, particularly in a contract year. They're going to want to play full time, so that they can enhance their value on the free agent market.

It's why you end up with either older veterans, only marginally talented journeyman, or youngsters on the bench.

then why would Huff wanna play off the bench. You just completely disproved your statement!?!?!?!?!

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
then why would Huff wanna play off the bench. You just completely disproved your statement!?!?!?!?!

Uh, he wouldn't and that was his point. "I also doubt..." means that Crucis is giving another reason why Huff might not be an ideal fit for the Sox.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
if drews injury was season ending, yu'd probably see huff in a sox jersey but it isnt.

Crucis
08-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Uh, he wouldn't and that was his point. "I also doubt..." means that Crucis is giving another reason why Huff might not be an ideal fit for the Sox.

Exactly. Oh, it'd be nice to have a player of Huff's ability around, particularly if either Lowell or Drew is less than 100%. But, as I describe above, just because his talent might make a nice addition, it seems likely to me that Huff wouldn't be particularly happy being a bench player going into the final year of his contract, particular since he's a talented player who should be able to command a reasonably decent salary on some team. Being a bench player would only depress his value.

Crucis
08-25-2008, 03:33 PM

I haven't the slightest clue how you could have read my comment and thought that I was saying that I thought that Huff would want to be a bench player.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Well we have guys going down weekly at some point what we have ain't enough.

I think my point was...at this point, if they can't get it done with what they have...they might not get it done, and we'll have to reform in the offseason.

lil'papi
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM
I think my point was...at this point, if they can't get it done with what they have...they might not get it done, and we'll have to reform in the offseason.

Reform as in Holliday, CC and Putz did that include Tex or no? ;)

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Haha...reform as in make a spot for Teixeira somehow, move Youkilis to third, and majorly overhaul the bullpen.

I doubt you can get Putz to set-up...the Mariners are gonna have to go into rebuilding mode, and to trade their closer they're going to ask a king's ransom.

I'm no longer interested in Holliday, and as for Sabathia...well, you know where I stand on that.

I'm A-OK with the rotation, we'll have a very strong 1-2-3...and a formidable 4-5 just based on what we have already.