PDA

View Full Version : Should Nba last longer?

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Ok, here in Europe soccer season normally starts by end og august and last untl june, thats almost 10 months, 2 months of vacation ( if there is not a world cup or euro cahmpionship) adn they play less games than NBA.

average Basket season in a fiba country starts in mid september and lasts until mid may and then tehere is ALWAYS some international competition.

so you basically dont come to miss your sport for more then 1 month a year.

Nba on the other side becomes PAINFULLY unbearable during summer, come on mid june until november thats 4 and a half months of nothing but stupid rumours and no real action it drives you insane...

How much rest do this guys need??????

i think it woudl be better to start the season in mid spetember and end it mid june, two months are ENOUGH to relax and that would allow too to have more time between games wich would lead to more tactical training time and better games, it would also avoid players injuryng so much since they woudl bemore rested for each game and would help the playoffs to be better since there would be more time between games so tireness would not be a factor, just quality.

what do you think

King Koopa
08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Bro you put up a new forum every 5mins, thats funny.

Born2BWild
08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
no way. i like the nba the way it is. minus the cheating referees.

weebs
08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I actually think the NBA season is too long.

PhxGiant
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
It's fine the way it is. You have to remember that in the playoffs each round you can play up to 7 games, so a team could end up playing 100+ games a year.

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
players need their rest to perform and the higher the performance level the more soar you are the next time, fatigue is big in the nba thats a reason why many players are going to europ, i personally enjoy seeing lebron and dwayne dunk on guys and if they play more games the chances of them just doing a lay up increases and that would make the game less exciting ... for me

fins08
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
it is fine.

dick butane
08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
The season is fine as is. 82 games followed by playoffs. Followed by finals. The winners actually end up playing almost too much by years end.

superkegger
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah, the NBA season is, if anything too long. I don't mind the 82 games, but it is quite a grind, and often times it can be quite uncompelling to watch. A midweek game that doesn't feature your team often goes unwatched because its just meh. But still 82 games is fine. The playoffs last too long, they need to go back to a 5 game first round.

Just look at what Kobe had to do this year.

82 regular season games.
21 Playoff games
Team USA training camp
4 (I think it was 4 anyway) pre-olympic exhibition games
5 Olympic Pool Play games
and lets say they win gold, thats 4 more games I believe.

So in the course of is 08-09 season and 09 offseason he will probably play 116 games or so. Not too mention all the training camp and practice.

I would say they play plenty.

tonyd3b54
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
i think the season is just right... basket ball is a very physically demanding sport and to ask the players to play more is asking to much i think... this is y football is only 16 games and once a week...

Jay22Redd
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Players already be worn out by the end of the regular season and have injuries. No need to extend the season.

njnets
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
when guys get 110 million dollar contracts, they deserve to rest, not to play in some games that would not count and tear an ACL or something like that.

JIDsanity
08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I wanna see basketball, but you can't demand that much from players. They are people, they will tire out. However, with the ridiculous amount of money they make it shouldn't be a problem for them

HoopsMachine
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I think what he means is keeping the same amount of games but stretching those 82+playoffs over a longer period of time. This would effectively minimize or eliminate the need for back to backs and the hectic road schedules that teams face. Also it allows for the team to fcous on each game more as they have more time to prepare and practice. I actually wanted them to shorten the season but given the business aspect of the NBA that would never happen.

Wrigleyboy25
08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Why not expand the playoffs from 2 months to 4? :rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
you didnt get the point, i meant play more months not more games.

still 82 games but with more free time betweeb them

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
If anything is too short it is football season. 82 games for basketball is enough.

superkegger
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
you didnt get the point, i meant play more months not more games.

still 82 games but with more free time betweeb them

No, that would be a bad idea for several reasons.

The NBA already has its start during the NFL, which is king when it comes to American sports. Plus the NBA playoffs would be later in the summer, which would push them deeper into MLB season, which would take away viewers.

Regardless of whether or not theres no more games, the amount of time it would take would make people lose interest. In an instant gratification culture, if the NBA were to expand its season a month, it would most likely drop viewership at some point. Too many casual fans already have lost interest in the NBA as it is.

Plus when international competitions come around, it would interefere with the season then, and that is not something the NBA would want to do. Because then some teams would be at a disadvantage, as would the US team in any international competition, because teams with players on the US team would be playing extra during the season, and other teams with no players on the team would get extra rest. Plus some teams would really discourage their players from playing on the US team because it would be in season.

There's just too many cons and not enough pros for it to work.

bogdanrom
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
If anything is too short it is football season. 82 games for basketball is enough.

Agreed. They only play 16 games per season without playoffs. I think they should make it at least 20-25 games per season, and maybe make more than just one game per week.
The basketball is good as it is. Here in the US we have other sports, and if we mix them all up, the ratings will go down for all sports. The season is not long, but not short either.

HoopsMachine
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
No, that would be a bad idea for several reasons.

The NBA already has its start during the NFL, which is king when it comes to American sports. Plus the NBA playoffs would be later in the summer, which would push them deeper into MLB season, which would take away viewers.

Regardless of whether or not theres no more games, the amount of time it would take would make people lose interest. In an instant gratification culture, if the NBA were to expand its season a month, it would most likely drop viewership at some point. Too many casual fans already have lost interest in the NBA as it is.

Plus when international competitions come around, it would interefere with the season then, and that is not something the NBA would want to do. Because then some teams would be at a disadvantage, as would the US team in any international competition, because teams with players on the US team would be playing extra during the season, and other teams with no players on the team would get extra rest. Plus some teams would really discourage their players from playing on the US team because it would be in season.

There's just too many cons and not enough pros for it to work.

Yes those are very valid reasons OUTSIDE of the NBA why it shouldn't be stretched over a longer period of time. Stretching out the season is to improve the product which will lead to increased viewership overall with lesser star players getting injured from overuse and games becoming more competitive.

Seventh King
08-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting proposition; 82 games spread out. I'm sure Stern and the Networks would love it.

Beno7500
08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh hell yea it needs to be longer! How about a 102 game season?