PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the center position?

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I remeber back on the 80s than Center was a cornerstone for the franchises, you could go nowhere withouth a good center, oh and dont care to talk to me about the bulls, because cartwright was a veteran but he had been a stud in his younger years. you had Akeem, Robinson, Ewing, Mo malone, in the first ninenties came along Shaq , there was lambieer, parish too my good people used to make jokes about 18-10 centers and dub them as bad centers like Joe Barry Carroll for example. he woudl start nowdays in any team!!!.

Th thing is if you make today a top 10 list of centers considering ONLY TRUE CENTERS; TRAINED AS CENTERS FROM NCAA or HS and leave out all the Power Fowards that are playing FALSE CENTER ( Thats, Okafor,Dwight,Horford,JO,Rasheed,Noah,Stoudemire,G asol,Biedrins,TD,Milicic,Chandler,Okur,Nene) you would make a very depressing list.

Its Ming the only real center star and there is some promise on Bynum and Oden, but thats it, the rest of a top 10 TRUE center list would be an absolute joke, Miller???? Curry???? Ilgauskas!!!!1????????? None of them could lick Blair Rassmussens or Kevin Duckworths boots!!!!!

Knowledge
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Well i think its just because guys that would have played center in the 80s are now SF/PF. Guys that are 6'8 and up now can handle the ball and shoot, which was probably a trend that developed because of Magic Johnson's influence on young players.

Lebron is a prime example of a guy who plays the on the outside in todays game, but would have been forced to be a big in the 80s.

Sixerlover
08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
You don't think Biendris, Dwight or Chandler are true centers?

mitch91
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM

dwight wasnt brought into this league as a centre ans yes i no how he rebounds and he plays the centre position but he is not a centre he is a pf

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
i think the game has evolved, to a more of a running game were quickness and athletisim wins games, todays nba is alot on the perimeter and inside toughness is not everything

i think in the future the game will have 2 PF, 2 SF and a point
the center position is slow and PF's like amare bosh rasheed JO TD .. they can defend the center buy still act like a pf on offense... i mean good post moves like a center and strong rebounding but the ability to drive jump and shoot from 16 feet makes them a PF/C .. which is better then just a center

nba now has hybrid players << they are the stars
prime example is Lebron who is a point forward he can be a starter for PG,SG,SF,PF

mitch91
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
i think the game has evolved, to a more of a running game were quickness and athletisim wins games, todays nba is alot on the perimeter and inside toughness is not everything

the center position is slow and PF's like amare bosh rasheed JO TD .. they can defend the center buy still act like a pf on offense... i mean good post moves like a center and strong rebounding but the ability to drive jump and shoot from 16 feet makes them a PF/C .. which is better then just a center

prime example is Lebron who is a point forward he can be a starter for PG,SG,SF,PF

agreed

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Howard had played PF on all his previous career chandelr too and was supposed to be the PF to Eddy Curry c, biedrins actually played the 3!!! uin europe.

Knowledge
08-18-2008, 01:10 PM

didnt i just say this but with less words?:eyebrow:

njnets
08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
the 3? thats insane.

Mr. 3 Stacks
08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Well i think its just because guys that would have played center in the 80s are now SF/PF. Guys that are 6'8 and up now can handle the ball and shoot, which was probably a trend that developed because of Magic Johnson's influence on young players.

Lebron is a prime example of a guy who plays the on the outside in todays game, but would have been forced to be a big in the 80s.

YEZZIRRRM the evolution of basketball....its the same with any sport really, just in different contexts.

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
didnt i just say this but with less words?:eyebrow:

yes i just felt like putting my own twist on it and adding but you are on the same track as i am

Thatruth32
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
small ball

Nets fan 93
08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope Brook Lopez becomes a true center

fins08
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
When Oden was picked, I didn't like it. But now I see the C position dwindling and we need the 7 footers to come in here and play.

dick butane
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
dwight wasnt brought into this league as a centre ans yes i no how he rebounds and he plays the centre position but he is not a centre he is a pf

You can't be a PF when your team keeps starting you at Center.

dick butane
08-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Don't miss out on Kaman when you make a list like this.

superkegger
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
It's just the evolution of the game.

People want to be wowed every second of the game. Fast paced ball wins games and draws fans. Plus the international influence on the game has also been a large part of the transition away from having true C's out there.

rrude
08-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Been saying for years that the big--I won't say problem--issue in the NBA is that the 2 and 3 position is only 40% of the positions on the floor but, it seems to me 2's and 3's make up the majority of the NBA talent pool.

How many teams have 2 NBA-level true point guards?

How many 6' 10" or taller guys are really 3's by the way they play? (Bargnani, Zach Randolph, etc.)

I think one reason a lot of the rule changes have been made is to accommodate the glut of players at these positions, so it's possible put more than two guys out there who are 2 or 3 (G St., Phx, etc.) De-emphasize lane-clogging defense, open things up and let the slashers/shooter types go to work.

Sometimes I think the league over-expanded, especially with the lack of real points and centers to fill out a lot of rosters.

BRADfromOZ
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree with what was said earlier. The true C is becoming extinct because the athleticism of the game has greatly improved since the 80's.

dre1990
08-18-2008, 05:51 PM

what are you on bro

lakers4sho
08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
With lesser centers and big men over time the NBA will evolve into a European style of basketball.

rapswin98
08-18-2008, 06:45 PM

With lesser centers and big men over time the NBA will evolve into a European style of basketball.:clap::nod:

SLY WILLIAMS
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Why would Lebron have been a center in the 80's? I watched the 80's not to mention the 70's and Lebron is nothing like the bigs from the 80's . Magic Johnson was taller than Lebron and played PG.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Dwight Howard is more of a power forward. Same with Biedrins. Chandler is a true center, but he has almost no offensive ability besides dunking the basketball.

Dsouth
08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Chandler is a true center, but he has almost no offensive ability besides dunking the basketball.

What else do you eexpect from a center at the offensive end than that. Dunking is pretty much u want from a center unless you want Yao who is a phenom. A real center is shaped like shaq, even though i believe centers should have a better FT% than shaq but still not an impressive %.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM

The Warriors start guards at forward spots and forwards at center spots...It does not mean that the players true position is the one he plays. An example on the Magic besides Dwight Howard is Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis playing the power forward spot occasionally when their true positions are really small forward. Anyone who knows the game of basketball, knows that Dwight Howard is a power forward. Coming out of high school, he was billed as an athletic power forward and if the Magic find a really good center then I am sure he will move to the power forward spot.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM

The Warriors start guards at forward spots and forwards at center spots...It does not mean that the players true position is the one he plays. An example on the Magic besides Dwight Howard is Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis playing the power forward spot occasionally when their true positions are really small forward. Anyone who knows the game of basketball, knows that Dwight Howard is a power forward. Coming out of high school, he was billed as an athletic power forward and if the Magic find a really good center then I am sure he will move to the power forward spot.

LAcowBOMBER
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Why are people acting like a pf and a center are so diferent. It's kinda ridiculous to say Dwight is clearly a pf. Honestly, what is the difference?

IndiansFan337
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
I remeber back on the 80s than Center was a cornerstone for the franchises, you could go nowhere withouth a good center, oh and dont care to talk to me about the bulls, because cartwright was a veteran but he had been a stud in his younger years. you had Akeem, Robinson, Ewing, Mo malone, in the first ninenties came along Shaq , there was lambieer, parish too my good people used to make jokes about 18-10 centers and dub them as bad centers like Joe Barry Carroll for example. he woudl start nowdays in any team!!!.

Th thing is if you make today a top 10 list of centers considering ONLY TRUE CENTERS; TRAINED AS CENTERS FROM NCAA or HS and leave out all the Power Fowards that are playing FALSE CENTER ( Thats, Okafor,Dwight,Horford,JO,Rasheed,Noah,Stoudemire,G asol,Biedrins,TD,Milicic,Chandler,Okur,Nene) you would make a very depressing list.

Its Ming the only real center star and there is some promise on Bynum and Oden, but thats it, the rest of a top 10 TRUE center list would be an absolute joke, Miller???? Curry???? Ilgauskas!!!!1????????? None of them could lick Blair Rassmussens or Kevin Duckworths boots!!!!!
Chandler is certainly a pure C. Howard has become a true C. And Duncan is a true C, regardless of his refusal to be labeled as one. You forgot one of the true C's left in the NBA, Shaquille O'Neal.

There aren't a lot of star C's today. Shaq is on the downside, there are no Robinson's, Olajuwon's or Ewings left. It's a changing of the guard. 7 footers aren't common. And 7 footers with talent, motivation, and will to be great are even less common.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Chandler is certainly a pure C. Howard has become a true C. And Duncan is a true C, regardless of his refusal to be labeled as one. You forgot one of the true C's left in the NBA, Shaquille O'Neal.

There aren't a lot of star C's today. Shaq is on the downside, there are no Robinson's, Olajuwon's or Ewings left. It's a changing of the guard. 7 footers aren't common. And 7 footers with talent, motivation, and will to be great are even less common.

Tim Duncan is purely a power forward. He is definitely and most certainly not a true center. Neither is Dwight Howard. People like you are mistaking true centers with power forwards that can play the center position. Those are two totally different things. Tim Duncan is truly a power forward, but has the versatility to play the center position. Dwight Howard is a power forward that has the versatility to play the center spot. These players are versatile and can play both positions although power forward is where they are most suited at playing. True centers are players that are most definitely centers and have the body and build of a center. Yao Ming, Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden, and among a few others are some of the true centers in this league.

heyman321
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Dwight Howard isn't a PF, he's a C. You can't debate that. PLus, PFs can shoot and Howard clearly cannot.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Dwight Howard isn't a PF, he's a C. You can't debate that. PLus, PFs can shoot and Howard clearly cannot.

Most centers have post moves and Howard clearly has no post moves. How does that make any difference? He is an athletic power forward who can also play center. He mainly plays center, but many players play out of their position so it is not like this is something new. Like I said before, Howard has always been billed as a power forward. He has just played the center position, but I guarantee if the Magic find an above average center then Howard will move to the power forward spot.

cahawk
08-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Stern & NBA wanted higher ratings, they have changed the game both officially and unofficially.

23LBJCleBrowns
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Ilgauskas is a true center and one of the best centers in the NBA

SAVAGE CLAW
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
We are in the way to play with 2 Shooting Guards , 2 Power fowards and then either a third Sg or a third PF.