PDA

View Full Version : Did Dirk Deserve Mvp 2 Years Ago

Z-ray21
08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I Think He Did Because He So Good And Dallas Had The Best Record

What Do Yall Think. If You Thought No Who Did You Think Should Have Been Mvp

Raptors27
08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
No he didn't. it was one of the quiestest winnings of mvp too. Once he won nobody talked about it or anything.

NYMetros
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
He was the best player on the best team. I didn't have a problem with giving it to him.

J-Relo
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes he deserved it... That's why he got it...

Ph1lly Diehard
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Did he deserve it? No.

Does it really matter? No.

It happened 2 years ago...

Mythman13
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Of course he did
Dirk is top 5 every year
That year he was #1

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
he did deserve it his team won like 65+ games << i forget the exact number, but they killed it Mavs were the team to beat in the west and Dirk had great numbers and leadership and his team mates were solid but not all star, he played well in the 4th of alot of games when the pressure was on him

MVP is for the season when the 82nd game is done thats when the votes should be locked not play offs cuz in play offs they got kicked, dirk isnt tough enough to run and gun with Baron and the warriors, but HE DID DESERVE THE MVP he played exeptional during the whole season and owned the best record
unless David Stern is on PSD no one has the right to say he doesnt deserve it, and i know enough kobe fans will say that

superkegger
08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
They won 67 games, and he led them to it, the playoffs not so much, but thats irrelevant. What he led his team to during the regular season was nothing short of spectacular.

Cavs_Fan24
08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
after what happened in the first-round of the playoffs that year, no he didnt.

AirJordanXVIII
08-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Nope. He's soft.

And Cavs_Fan, voting was done before the playoffs I believe.

NYKnickFanatic
08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Nope.

My reason?

Two words:

Steve Nash.

JIDsanity
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Nope.

My reason?

Two words:

Steve Nash.

:clap:

North Yorker
08-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Nope.

My reason?

Two words:

Steve Nash.

I concur

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I Think He Did Because He So Good And Dallas Had The Best Record

What Do Yall Think. If You Thought No Who Did You Think Should Have Been Mvp

He won 67 games without another superstar on the team. No other team has won 65+ games without 2 supestars of course he deserved it.

kkkobbee
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
no, because i think players like kobe and lebron deserved it more even though there teams sucked back then..

lakerboy
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
He deserves it.

Chi-Town Finest
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I think so simply because if you think about it he might have been the most valuable player to his team that year wich is what the award encompasses. If you took Nash off that team that year they would have won more games that a Dirkless Mavs team and the same for Kobe and the Lakers I believe.

_Sn1P3r_
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
He deserved it. He had a good season team, but in the playoffs they sucked.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
yes certainly cause he led the mavs to a 67 win season he had amazing mvp plays that was on his top ten its just that he and the mavs got routed in the first round to the warriors..

Spurred1
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Why is this being brought up again? Yes-he deserved the award because he was the best player on that team for the regular season, unless you think Howard was the best player on the team for that time.

theimortalone
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Nash should have won his 3rd straight MVP award!! He had a better season that year then he did in the previous 2 MVP runs!

crew158
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Of course he didnt deserve it but it was worth it b/c of the look on his face when he accepted the MVP after his team was eliminated in the 1st

#1Mavericksfan
08-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know why people are still taking about this...get over it...he won the MVP because of what he did in the season not the playoffs...I don't here anybody taking about did Kobe deserve the MVP because the last time I checked Kobe didn't win the NBA title this past season...and calling Dirk soft is getting old now come up with somthing else.

SwaggaIke
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Nash should have won his 3rd straight MVP award!! He had a better season that year then he did in the previous 2 MVP runs!

Nash should have 1 MVP, IF THAT. 04-05 belonged to Shaq. 05-06 arguably could have went to Kobe. W/o Kobe in 05-06 the Lakers would have been terrible.

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Was that the year Kobe scored 35 ppg and had a 82?

NYMetros
08-18-2008, 11:26 PM
He deserved it. He had a good season team, but in the playoffs they sucked.

The MVP only accounts for play during the regular season, so everything he did during the playoffs did not matter.

Goon.Weezy
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
he deserved it because he was the best and his team was the best during the REGULAR SEASON

still1ballin
08-18-2008, 11:58 PM
heck no!

yojoe792
08-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Of course. He was the best player on one of the best teams in the NBA. He won it because he deserved it. I don't see how anyone is voting NO.

stevefrancis
08-19-2008, 12:15 AM
that best player best team crap doesn't mean anything. when the nets made the finals those 2 years they were the best east team and jason kidd didn't win mvp even though he should have. same goes for mj he should have won it every year then.

jetsfan89
08-19-2008, 12:15 AM
no, because i think players like kobe and lebron deserved it more even though there teams sucked back then..

than whats the freaking point of an MVP.

It was an MVP award for the regular season and he definitly deserved it without a doubt what he did for that team was spectacular.

Chaudhry
08-19-2008, 12:23 AM
he wasnt undeserving but the problem i had was his numbers didn't change at all from the previous year... josh howard just got much better... so he wasn't the reason for the teams improvement... steve nash deserved it more that year then he did his 2nd mvp... certainly not kobe or lebron cause your team should be one of the top atleast...

Lone Maverick
08-19-2008, 01:17 AM

By your logic if Nash kept getting better stats each year then he should keep getting MVPs :rolleyes:

that best player best team crap doesn't mean anything. when the nets made the finals those 2 years they were the best east team and jason kidd didn't win mvp even though he should have. same goes for mj he should have won it every year then.

Actually it does matter, at least to the people that actually have a vote, and at the end of the day they're the only ones that get a say so ummmmmm yeah. :rolleyes: Also when Dirk won it his team wasn't just the best in the West, they were the best team period.

What do you people want? Its a regular season award, it has absolutely no bearing on the playoffs. The award for the playoffs (if you make it that far, is called "The FINALS MVP") The writers that vote on the award are constantly changing the criteria. It used to be the "who's having the best year" award, then it became the "who's the best player on the team with the best record" award, and back and forth.

If you have a problem take it up with the writers, or become one yourself, get a vote and try and sway everyone else to share your opinion. =/

I don't really get why anyone can say he didn't deserve it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but he got it, just accept it and move on.

Chronz
08-19-2008, 04:33 AM
He actually deserved it more the year before, it was his finest individual season and he still led his team to 60 wins and went on to justify his MVP selection (the next year) by taking his team to the finals, its just that people needed to see Dirk get passed Duncan before giving him an MVP. The year Dirk won it, it shouldve actually gone to Nash but he had already won 2 undeserved so Dirk made the most sense.

Tom81
08-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Nash should be a mvp this year.

innovator
08-19-2008, 06:30 AM
the played that led his team to 67-15 OBVIOUSLY deserve it

BrizzleBear
08-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Nope.

My reason?

Two words:

Steve Nash.

:clap::clap::clap:

rhino17
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeas he did. He was the best regular season player in the league and led the best team

he def deserved it more than nash did his

CowboysKB24
08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I voted no but I can understand why he got the MVP. He was on the best team and was the best player on that team. It looks bad when you give some one the MVP and they lose the first round or not make it to the finals. Steve Nash won it twice and they lost in second round then then the third round.
When you think about it though who else could have won the MVP that year?
Nash (who got it two years straight) or Kobe who was great on a bad team or Duncan (who didn't have the stats but in the end had the best team).

CowboysKB24
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
When you look at his play now? It is like damn he wasn't good enough but at that time he was the man of the league. Dominating the western conference

SwaggaIke
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
How about the NBA starts giving the MVP to the player who truly deserves it when they earn it instead of giving it to the player that got jobbed in years past.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
after what happened in the first-round of the playoffs that year, no he didnt.

It is a regular season award, period.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM

It is impossible to win the MVP unless you are the best player on a top 3 team record wise. Hence, LeBron had no chance this year.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Kidd should have won it that year, yes. Really, you have to be on one of the top 3 teams or so. When KG won it, Indiana had a better record, and JO was awesome, but KG was a landslide winner. Let the NBA in total points and rebounds. easy winner. Shaq should have won one of the Nash trophies, but yes Dirk deserved it

Raidaz4Life
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
No... it is stupid to think a player has so much value to his team if the roster is stacked. Kobe and Lebron both lead teams that would be near worse in the league without them yet don't win because of luck of the draw. Not a doubt in my mind that if Lebron or Kobe played on that Mavs team that it would have been just as if not more successful. I mean assuming Detroit manages to finish with the best record in the near future should Rip Hamilton win the MVP? Its just a stupid system.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I voted no but I can understand why he got the MVP. He was on the best team and was the best player on that team. It looks bad when you give some one the MVP and they lose the first round or not make it to the finals. Steve Nash won it twice and they lost in second round then then the third round.
When you think about it though who else could have won the MVP that year?
Nash (who got it two years straight) or Kobe who was great on a bad team or Duncan (who didn't have the stats but in the end had the best team).

First off, the Laker have never been a bad team. They missed the playoff in the early 90's once. Laker fans have no idea how good they have it. Free agents all want to play there, nightlife, money, fame, great weather, hot women. You have NEVER suffered through hard times. Stop it.
The MVP is a regular season award. It should in all reality, just be given out quickly after the regular season so whiners can't jump in after a playoff loss

Raidaz4Life
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
First off, the Laker have never been a bad team. They missed the playoff in the early 90's once. Laker fans have no idea how good they have it. Free agents all want to play there, nightlife, money, fame, great weather, hot women. You have NEVER suffered through hard times. Stop it.
The MVP is a regular season award. It should in all reality, just be given out quickly after the regular season so whiners can't jump in after a playoff loss

I believe that was the year we had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown starting for us.... we are lucky to have Kobe or we would EASILY be one of the worst teams in the league.

BigSteve
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't have a problem with Dirk winning it, but that does not mean I think he should have. The MVP voting has become a joke. Voting for the best player on one of the best teams does not even began to tell the story of the season and why that person deserved it. I agree with alot of people on here that Nash deserved it that year with Dirk a close second. That said, some sports writers said giving Nash three in a row puts him into a very elite company. I think that played into their voting.

BigSteve
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I believe that was the year we had Smush Parker and Kwame Brown starting for us.... we are lucky to have Kobe or we would EASILY be one of the worst teams in the league.

I honestly believe that no player in the NBA is more valuable to his team than Bryant. If you took him away from that team since Shaq left they would have been horrible. Its actually a little bit of a shame he does not have more MVP's. I don't like the guy, but I definitely think he is deserving because he is the definition of the term. He is the most valuable player to his team, and the best player in the league.