PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone expect from the Raptors this year?

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
What does everyone expect from the Raptors this year?

Considering they have Bosh and JO up front and Calderon in the backcourt, is this a team you expect to be in the conference finals?

bball1217
08-18-2008, 12:26 AM
They certainly have a chance to go far.

JJ81
08-18-2008, 12:29 AM
What does everyone expect from the Raptors this year?

Considering they have Bosh and JO up front and Calderon in the backcourt, is this a team you expect to be in the conference finals?

With the East being pretty weak, I think they'll do very well but I doubt they'll make it to the conference finals as I think Cleveland, Boston and Detroit are far stronger

Halladay
08-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I'd give us a shot at the East finals depending on O'neals health. If O'neal stays healthy we have a legit front court who can matchup with just about any other front court in the league. Calderon's minutes will increase and if his numbers are impressive as last season and if Ukic is as good as he can be then our PG play will be exceptional. Our bench is above average, we'll get decent play from the SG/SF postion with Parker, Moon and Kapono. Like I said, it all depends on O'neals health. If O'neal stays healthy and plays to his ability, we could be a threat in the East.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I Predict failure and Americans and Canadians blaming it all to Calderon since they have been overating him lately.

He is good, but he is not going to post up 15 points 12 assits.

My points to declare they will fail:

1 They lost a lot of depth in their roster when Ford, Garbajosa and Delphino Left.

2 Neither Kapono or Parker is a Conteder team level Starter, and yet one of the two will start.

3 They have a lot of Hope on Moon, but he is a late bloomer that probably peaked last year so SF is a concern too.

4 Bargnani has been very dissapointing so far, he cant play the three in the Nba because he is not quick enough to guard other threes and he cant play the Center as it was shown last Year, too skiny and Soft, so he will be in the bench.

5 They have absolutely no depth at Center position, i dont expect anything good from Jawaii, they lost rasho, not the best in the world, but had good hands and attitude and was hustle, he will be missed.

6 An injury prone JO will be their starting Center when he himself stated he didnt want to ever play center again in his life while he was in the Pacers.

So basically it does not sound promising to me.

In their Division they will finish Below Celtics and Sixers For Sure and Nets , or a Suddenly Reborn Knicks could even send them into the Bottom of the Class.

In their Conference Celtics, Sixers, Magic,Wizzards,Pistons are Bound to end above of them with Cleveland almost a sure thing, they could eventually be overpassed by Nets, Knicks,Heat,Bulls or even Bucks.

Its sad, since i kind of support them in behalf of Jose but i think they are going to be the Dissaponting team of the Year in the east.

Best case scenario 7th Seed and out in the first round.

Worst case Scenario Only above Pacers , Hawks in the east.

lavis
08-18-2008, 12:47 AM
With healthy JO, I can see them in the ECF.

bogdanrom
08-18-2008, 12:58 AM
It depends. I can see everyone gelling together, no injuries and being a really good team, maybe ECF. But I can also see JO getting injured, Calderon does do good, can't handle the pressure and they will slip to 7th or 8th.

goku
08-18-2008, 01:05 AM
second round

phxman22
08-18-2008, 01:14 AM
no injuries second round

tuk420
They make it to the second round of the playoffs.... ECF only if they can pull a trade deadline deal that upgrades their small forward/ shooting guard position.... or they trade for Ben Gordon(wishful thinking) It Really all depends on their defence this year the offence was great last year but I think with J/O and Bosh preaching Defence that we will be good next year.... and watchout for Bargnani coming off the bench he looked great against second tier players in his rookie season.

dre1990
they will go to the 2nd round

Dol-Fan
08-18-2008, 01:15 AM
I Predict failure and Americans and Canadians blaming it all to Calderon since they have been overating him lately.

No he won't, but 13/9 is still solid, especially from a point who never turns the ball over and shoots a high percentage in all 3 categories.

1 They lost a lot of depth in their roster when Ford, Garbajosa and Delphino Left.

Garbo never played, we were better without Ford, but Delfino will be missed just for the sake of depth and his tenacity.

2 Neither Kapono or Parker is a Conteder team level Starter, and yet one of the two will start.

Didn't Kapono start on championship Heat team? Or was it Posey? Either way, you have a point as we don't have a Wade to play alongside Kapono. JO and Bosh are pretty good company though.

3 They have a lot of Hope on Moon, but he is a late bloomer that probably peaked last year so SF is a concern too.

True, he will be decent maybe 8/6/1.5 BPG,1.5 SPG but the wing is definately something that needs to improve.

4 Bargnani has been very dissapointing so far, he cant play the three in the Nba because he is not quick enough to guard other threes and he cant play the Center as it was shown last Year, too skiny and Soft, so he will be in the bench.

Bargnani has been disappointing, although his first year was promising. If he can go back to that, stop worrying about being a true center and play his game, he can be effective as offense off the bench. We'll see what happens.

5 They have absolutely no depth at Center position, i dont expect anything good from Jawaii, they lost rasho, not the best in the world, but had good hands and attitude and was hustle, he will be missed.

Rasho was good, no doubt. But either Bosh or JO will be on the floor all 48 minutes of a game so long as they are close (health permitting). Backup center is the least of my concerns, Hump and Bargnani can both play the 4.

6 An injury prone JO will be their starting Center when he himself stated he didnt want to ever play center again in his life while he was in the Pacers.

Bosh and JO will both be taking plays at center, neither of them is a true center but they can each guard the position for likely alternating periods of time.

The rest of your post was somewhat silly, so I left it out. Raptors finished 6th last year without JO and the Nets got worse, and the Knicks? Hmmm...

phils07
08-18-2008, 01:31 AM
im really getting pissed off at how people LOVE to say that calderon is being overhyped. there arent many better more efficient PGs in the game. and everyone LOVES to mention that TJ ford took some of his minutes and thats how he was able to stay fresh and be said efficient. the stats say something different. when TJ ford got injured, which he does all the time, HE AVERAGED 15 and 10 ON 55 percent shooting from the field and 51 percent from the 3 point line while playing 38 minutes a game. the statistical splits indicate that the more minutes he plays the better he is. TJ ford was holding him back. they knew it, i knew it, and calderon sure as hell knew it. so tjs gone. and now jermaine oneal is on the team. jamario moon was a rookie and he just played well. thats all. hes old but hes still going to improve. the notion that he "peaked" is just stupid. whats even more ridiculous is the extreme probability that calderon hasnt peaked. with anthony parker/kapono, moon, bosh, and JO, he may get even better. plus it was only calderons 3rd year in the league. JO was on the worst franchise of all time so hes probably got the utmost of motivation and happiness being on a contender. so hell probably play well. and bosh has really won me over in these olympics. if he can utilize some of that defensive intensity in the NBA get could get better instead being basically just a scaled down version of amare stoudemire. the raptors are good no matter how u look at it. after losing ford/garbajosa/ and delfino theyre just better cuz they all suck. well garbajosa and delfino definitely suck and Ford was exendable. and they dont even need bargnani basically. as long hibbert can provide some solid minutes, their big men will be ok. an improvement from bargnani will just be a welcomed surprise

as a sixers fan, i am scared of this team mostly because i dont know what to expect from them. if JO is healthy, the raptors could be really good. i still think we are better with our offseason addition of brand because were just better defensively and just a little less talented on the offensive end.

rapswin98
08-18-2008, 01:38 AM
if most of our key players stay healthy, watch out.

knowledgeGOD
08-18-2008, 01:43 AM
IMO 1st round or 2nd round exit.. we're missing that one piece to make it to the ECF. i just hope bosh and jo could work together.. and jo to stay healthy. i think our bench isnt that great from what i think.. ukic, solomon, hassan, are players im concern with.. other than that.. they're still my team lol i swear i started a thread like this before

Halladay
08-18-2008, 02:03 AM

So basically it does not sound promising to me.

In their Division they will finish Below Celtics and Sixers For Sure and Nets , or a Suddenly Reborn Knicks could even send them into the Bottom of the Class.

In their Conference Celtics, Sixers, Magic,Wizzards,Pistons are Bound to end above of them with Cleveland almost a sure thing, they could eventually be overpassed by Nets, Knicks,Heat,Bulls or even Bucks.

Its sad, since i kind of support them in behalf of Jose but i think they are going to be the Dissaponting team of the Year in the east.

Best case scenario 7th Seed and out in the first round.

Worst case Scenario Only above Pacers , Hawks in the east.

:rolleyes:No need to be so optimistic.

Jay22Redd
08-18-2008, 03:08 AM
I think the raptors are probably going to be a 4th or 5th seed and will get knocked out of the second round.

Jay22Redd
08-18-2008, 03:09 AM
They just dont amazed me though

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I think they are unbalanced, they dont have enough power in Sg and SF positions but still Jose, Jermaine and Chris is a good trio and since the east is still weaker they could make the playoffs again or fail by a little bit 9th seed?.

But i cant see them going into the second round unless they face Sixers and their players Unexperience on Playoffs holds them down.

Lakersfan2483
08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
They have a solid team but they are not better than: Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Detroit and a healthy Wizards' team. They have issues at the 2 guard and I don't know how much Jermaine O'neal has left in the tank. O'neal has had some major injuries and has not played a full season in quite some time. Bosh is awesome, but I don't think they can beat the teams mentioned above. I think Boston and Cleveland are the top 2 teams out East. Also, I think Detroit will be in the top when it's all said and done.

heyman321
08-18-2008, 05:09 AM
I think they are unbalanced, they dont have enough power in Sg and SF positions but still Jose, Jermaine and Chris is a good trio and since the east is still weaker they could make the playoffs again or fail by a little bit 9th seed?.

But i cant see them going into the second round unless they face Sixers and their players Unexperience on Playoffs holds them down.

Do you even know what the HELL you are talking about? Honestly, you're probably a Lakers homer. First, I agree that our wing is weak but 9th seed? Do you even know basketball? Who do you see making it past the Raptors besides the Sixers, Celts, Pistons, Magic, and possibly Cavs? Plus, the Sixers are looking pretty nice too so don't except them suddenly crumble. Please, be more knowledgeable.

hockeypro68
08-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Equal/Better than the Sixers, Equal/Worse than Cavs&Magic

carlo4444
08-18-2008, 05:52 AM
if most of our key players stay healthy, watch out.

i agree

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 08:11 AM

A team doesn't need great players at every position. Boston has Rondo and Perkins, 2 guys who wouldn't start on most teams.

Mile High Champ
08-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I think all you have to do is look at the front court and the talent that it has. No team I dont think can offer a bigger nightmare in terms of matchups than what the raps can offer. I reall think they make it into the second round, after that who knows right, all it takes is for your shots to be falling and staying healthy. It is way to early to guess what any of the teams in the east will do after this crazy off season. Some time needs to be given to this question in order to give it an appropriate response. I do think JO and Bosh this year will be bringing great things to the raps though.

MiamiHeat
08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
they gotta stay healthy
if they do 2nd round and even farther

J-Relo
08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
4-6 seed, probably second round...

North Yorker
08-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm tired of people ripping Anthony Parker. A lot of people don't know this but he was our second leading scorer on our team last year. He's very, very consistent and you know what ya gonna get every night. He's a great 3 point shooter and that will be very important with Bosh and JO in the post. This team is gonna score A LOT of points just because of the great post game and our great 3 point shooters. Plus with a PG that knows how to pass, score and not turn the ball over.

The things that could hold them back are injuries, their perimeter D, and if Bargs and Moon don't improve on what they did last year.

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
jermain staying healthy through the season would be nice but we really need him for play offs, with the regular season we can play bargs, he will be better then last year although he plays with no emotion he is very streaky and once it hits he will be fine most likely for the whole year, jose staying healthy is big for me because he is definetly the pilot of the raps, if he can break it down like he did when tj got hurt ... 14-9-2, with max 2 TO's our team will be efficient ...
what other teams forget is that with Rasho, Bosh was doubled or half doubled with the other teams center playing close to bosh, now with jermain there can not be a double cuz they will get dunked on, and jermain will play with heart we all know he can we saw it with Reggie
jamario is definetly not a strongest position but he works hard and hustels and he is very athletic if he can put up 9-6 ill be happy
AP is solid Defense and can shoot the open shot, all he is needed for, we dont expect him to dribble penetrate or create for his team mates < joses job
Rasho and Delfino will be missed, Garbo you were useless

i think raps have a solid chance being 3-5 in the East and making it deep into the second round, if they pass the second round ... ill drink to that

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Jordansbulls, are you comparing KG,PP and RA to Calderon, Bosh and JO ? lol :) oh and please compare cassell, house, posey, pj etc to humphries? ukic?

And as for the other matter

Raptors are for sure worst than CELTICS,SIXERS,MAGIC,PISTONS,CAVALIERS

They are for sure better than BOBCATS,KNICKS,NETS,PACERS,BUCKS.

they are Slightly better than HEAT,BULLS.HAWKS

ANd on the same level than WIZZARDS.

If you do the math they SHOULD be in the Playoffs with the 6th or 7h seed but of course if things for whatever reason dont click on well ( For example Jo injury......yeah like that is impossible to happen.......) they may slip out , or simply maybe Bulls and Heat do much better than expected, remember one of them was a champion not so log ago, abd bulls slipped last year but where playoff before that.

ANd you also have to count that at least 1 of theones i rated as worst than them will be surprise team of the year , but i guess you can balance it because at least 1 of theones i rated as better than them will be the Dissapointment of the year.

North Yorker
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Jordansbulls, are you comparing KG,PP and RA to Calderon, Bosh and JO ? lol :) oh and please compare cassell, house, posey, pj etc to humphries? ukic?

And as for the other matter

Raptors are for sure worst than CELTICS,SIXERS,MAGIC,PISTONS,CAVALIERS

They are for sure better than BOBCATS,KNICKS,NETS,PACERS,BUCKS.

they are Slightly better than HEAT,BULLS.HAWKS

ANd on the same level than WIZZARDS.

If you do the math they SHOULD be in the Playoffs with the 6th or 7h seed but of course if things for whatever reason dont click on well ( For example Jo injury......yeah like that is impossible to happen.......) they may slip out , or simply maybe Bulls and Heat do much better than expected, remember one of them was a champion not so log ago, abd bulls slipped last year but where playoff before that.

ANd you also have to count that at least 1 of theones i rated as worst than them will be surprise team of the year , but i guess you can balance it because at least 1 of theones i rated as better than them will be the Dissapointment of the year.

You can't say for sure. I'd say they are even with the Cavs and 6ers. But thats your opinion

Cavs_Fan24
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
My expectations for the Raptors dont have them getting past the second round of the playoffs.

They dont have a consistent outside scorer and experience as a team yet so you cant have your expectations too high.

They're a good team, but you have to consider if JO will have a significant impact. Then they dont have a scorer out of the low post really, besides 3-point shooting from guys like Kapono and Parker. If and when they do get that scorer, they'll be a top team without question.

Right now I say they'll be the 4-6 seed in the East.

RapsFan4Life
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
My expectations for the Raptors dont have them getting past the second round of the playoffs.

They dont have a consistent outside scorer and experience as a team yet so you cant have your expectations too high.

They're a good team, but you have to consider if JO will have a significant impact. Then they dont have a scorer out of the low post really, besides 3-point shooting from guys like Kapono and Parker. If and when they do get that scorer, they'll be a top team without question.

Right now I say they'll be the 4-6 seed in the East.

i dont think you need a low post scorer to win a championship, Jermain will be low post defender i think thats more important and our bigs CB4 and JO will be able to do ENOUGH damage in the paint not necessarily in the post but 16 foot jump shots and draw fouls like no tomorow

rapswin98
08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
i think our bench will be the only thing holding us back if healthy. imo the farthest we can go is the second round but anything past that is not a surprise

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
i think our bench will be the only thing holding us back if healthy. imo the farthest we can go is the second round but anything past that is not a surprise

What is your backcourt like?

superkegger
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I expect the Raptors to make it out of the first round and at the very least put up a good fight in the 2nd round. Anything less would be dissapointing.

Master P
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
everyone is drunk.

no consistant outside scoring? calderon, parker, and kapono shoot outstanding percentages. sure none of them lights it up for 20 points per game, but together they are effiicient and reliable.

parker is a solid, while unspectacular player. his offensive game consists of the corner 3's and turn around pull ups off of screens. he also swings the ball well, which was a major part of the raptors team game in 2007. his defense is very reliable and can only improve as the team focusses more on that area of the game anchored by oneal.

then in regards to the rest of the east? why does everyone love cleveland so much? obviously they have lebron, but the rest of the team is a mess. mo williams isn't the answer (look at the bucks record with him leading the charge). last year lebron only lead the cavs to 44 wins or so...are they really going to jump into 50 this year? common.

RaptorsFAN11_12
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
"In their Division they will finish Below Celtics and Sixers For Sure and Nets , or a Suddenly Reborn Knicks could even send them into the Bottom of the Class."...

They'll finish below the Nets and possibly the Knicks? Do yourself a favor and never comment on basketball again. Not to your family, not to your friends, not to anybody. Yah the Celtics will have a better record and the Sixers very well may as well but almost every expert has the Nets and Knicks finishing 14 and 15 in the conference. Watta terrible comment. For the record, I am a Raptors fan and I did agree with most of the post but c'mon that's just stupid

Cavs_Fan24
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
i dont think you need a low post scorer to win a championship, Jermain will be low post defender i think thats more important and our bigs CB4 and JO will be able to do ENOUGH damage in the paint not necessarily in the post but 16 foot jump shots and draw fouls like no tomorow

yes, i agree, but you have to have other scorers around them to really make them a contender.

rapswin98
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
What is your backcourt like?
calderon- he'll only get better. could help us with scoring, but we have to see how he handles the starting job for all 82 games

parker-aging might slightly go downhill, i still expect him to be consistent and be the third highest scorer on the team

backup pg- Beno Ukic- looked very impressive in euroleague, but has never played at the NBA level. it will be a learning process for him.

backup sg- adams- I don't no much about (if someone can help me out here)

Bargs is going to have to lead our bench and look for moon to help. as for the backcourt it could be better imo