PDA

View Full Version : Defense Ranking?

Brock77
08-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I was looking at some stats from last year

We were 22nd against the run, 22 against the pass and 25th in total yards.

I know we lost BY but we seem to have an improved pass rush which should help out our DB's.

Also I Think that our overall depth on D has improve as well.(DL and LB)

We have some very good player on D (J.Smith, Willis, Clements, M.Lewis, Lawson, Mcdonald looks good too)

So my prediction is we should be near the top 10 in total Defence!!

Mystic Niner
08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Remember our Def ranked that low last year, because:

1) We lead the League in punt
2) Top 5 I'd bet in 3 and outs
3) 32nd ranked Off

meaning Our Def was on the Field WAY to long

charlsdq7
08-17-2008, 11:57 PM
itll get better with Spikes in the lb corps

Boozerguy47
08-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Remember our Def ranked that low last year, because:

1) We lead the League in punt
2) Top 5 I'd bet in 3 and outs
3) 32nd ranked Off

meaning Our Def was on the Field WAY to long

Thats what I was going to say... Tough to be one of the better defensive units when you're on the field for 2/3 of the game. But yeah, if your offense can learn to stay on the field you should definitely improve. I wouldn't say you'd be top 10 this year, maybe next year once your defense has another year playing together.

bornFrisco49er
08-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Thats what I was going to say... Tough to be one of the better defensive units when you're on the field for 2/3 of the game. But yeah, if your offense can learn to stay on the field you should definitely improve. I wouldn't say you'd be top 10 this year, maybe next year once your defense has another year playing together.

:clap: i definitely hope so though..we have the players on d, but o needs to help our d out a little bit by not putting them in such bad position. all about chemistry for us..if they can bond,communicate and play well together sooner the better, but it always take some time so we won't know for sure until we see it..

Thatruth32
08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
said it from day one..... i think we will be a top 5 D u might think im crazy but im stickin iwth it

jbeezy
08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I dont know where we will be ranked but if our offense can sustain some drives then we will be pretty good.

NinerNation
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
If our O can keep our D off the field a little more this year, which they should because of martz style, than our D is def a top 10.

Magic12ball
08-18-2008, 02:28 PM
17th if the Offense plays like it did last year. If the offense can hold a drive and whoever ends up playing QB can avoid errors, I would say this D will be around 12th.

Top ten is hard. I don't think the Hawks defense last year broke top ten, and Niners fans would probably be very happy if their D played near that level.

You guys have some newcomers too. Chemistry and understanding takes time; don't expect the world next year.

bornFrisco49er
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
if we were a 12th/17th ranked defense, but won 7-9 games id be happy..

Thatruth32
08-18-2008, 04:13 PM
i say we need to avg 17 ppg..... if we can just do that we can 8-8 easy

bornFrisco49er
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
i say we need to avg 17 ppg..... if we can just do that we can 8-8 easy

:clap:we definitely need to score TOUCHDOWNS this year..

NorCalzimm
08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Top Ten was kinda my mindset- Our offense has to come together for this to happen though!

KenTHEsfKING
08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
it has often been said the last couple of years that we had been lacking a legit pass rush - and other than when mike nolan was calling the d himself in 06 this was true. (and that was more of a scheme rush than a pass rush)

however last week was our d against a legit o-line with playoff quality linemen. (namely Tauscher of the Pack) and we had solid success form guys on the d-line vs. only with line backers. smith and macdonald were getting a good inside push and that is exactly what has to happen for our pass rush to be successful deep into the season. (after week 1 and 2 there will be film of our 08 blitz schemes).

macdonald was particularly impressive, becuz he made sacks happen with the bull rush - if our 3-4 d ends continue to do that that will be ****ing awesome!! we could really have a great d on our hands if they can consistently squeeze the pocket.

i have faith that Sop will do it form the nose becuz the man is a beast.

if smith and mac can sqeeze form the ends that will make our blitzes and corresponding zone schemes that much more effective -

btw was anyone else witness to goldson's improved play thus far in the preseason vs. last yr. he looks like he is seeing things slow down out there - it would be nice to have a quick guy(aka him) turn into a ball hawk out there for us at FS.

Very excited about our d this yr!

ninerfan609
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
i may have liked watching the D on saturday more than the offense. i was glad they brought so much pressure

Mystic Niner
08-18-2008, 10:59 PM
:clap:we definitely need to score TOUCHDOWNS this year..

hell, Ill take actually moving the ball to get into field goal range,lol

Baller1
08-18-2008, 11:10 PM
said it from day one..... i think we will be a top 5 D u might think im crazy but im stickin iwth it

You're right, I think you're crazy.

Baller1
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
if we were a 12th/17th ranked defense, but won 7-9 games id be happy..

I'll give you 17th at the best. I don't get why you all think you have such an amazing defense out of nowhere?!

DownSouth49er
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I'll give you 17th at the best. I don't get why you all think you have such an amazing defense out of nowhere?!

it may be out of nowhere to you because you're not a niners fan and i doubt you follow them as closely as we do, therefore you don't see the pieces of the puzzle coming together

wonkman22
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
it may be out of nowhere to you because you're not a niners fan and i doubt you follow them as closely as we do, therefore you don't see the pieces of the puzzle coming together

hahaha how bout them seahawks! they dont know what the FAITHFUL is all about:hi5:

Baller1
08-19-2008, 12:05 AM

That didn't give me anything. Again, you gave me a childish answer because you don't have one with facts or proof.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
hahaha how bout them seahawks! they dont know what the FAITHFUL is all about:hi5:

Aren't you the dumbass who said "mock my words" in my sig? I thought so...

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 12:36 AM
17th if the Offense plays like it did last year. If the offense can hold a drive and whoever ends up playing QB can avoid errors, I would say this D will be around 12th.

Top ten is hard. I don't think the Hawks defense last year broke top ten, and Niners fans would probably be very happy if their D played near that level.

You guys have some newcomers too. Chemistry and understanding takes time; don't expect the world next year.

that was a hawk fan i believe that brought up the prediction baller..i replied on his thoughts...did i say amazing? no..us niner fans have high expectiations because we know the niners d is better than what they showed last year and how bad u think they are...stop trying to start something...dont bring up "trolling" either because all i have said in ur hawk forums is logical and intelligent information/opinions..

NinerNation
08-19-2008, 12:37 AM

whats wrong with mock? You really need to have something WAAYY out of the convo in order to make fun, especially for a sig. You can easily use Mock in that sentence, so its not funny.

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 12:42 AM
enough about the facts(from last year) 2..*******..seriously..im not hiding from the facts its just annoying..ok heading into this season thats where we stood, but wtf u want us to do now? :confused:the season hasnt started yet the niners cant change your opinions yet! we've heard your crap about the stats already..weve made changes on paper, and us niner fans know theyre better than that..of course we think highly on our d because we watch them closely all the time and know that theyre better than previous years..amazing? dont know yet? horrible, good, great? we dont know yet

DownSouth49er
08-19-2008, 01:44 AM
That didn't give me anything. Again, you gave me a childish answer because you don't have one with facts or proof.

what are you talking about.....that statement i made basically was saying that you may see us thinking our defense will be good out of nowhere.....but for us niners fans, we know the moves that we have made in free agency and the draft over the past couple of years...so to us those pieces are coming together this year to possibly form a good defense....what's confusing or childish about that statement....you're just too fukking dumb to comprehend it

Baller1
08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
what are you talking about.....that statement i made basically was saying that you may see us thinking our defense will be good out of nowhere.....but for us niners fans, we know the moves that we have made in free agency and the draft over the past couple of years...so to us those pieces are coming together this year to possibly form a good defense....what's confusing or childish about that statement....you're just too fukking dumb to comprehend it

That statement is humorous. I'm dumb?! hahaha

Baller1
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
that was a hawk fan i believe that brought up the prediction baller..i replied on his thoughts...did i say amazing? no..us niner fans have high expectiations because we know the niners d is better than what they showed last year and how bad u think they are...stop trying to start something...dont bring up "trolling" either because all i have said in ur hawk forums is logical and intelligent information/opinions..

Start something? All I asked is why you guys think your defense is going to be so good, but all of you take it like an insult and start getting *****y.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
whats wrong with mock? You really need to have something WAAYY out of the convo in order to make fun, especially for a sig. You can easily use Mock in that sentence, so its not funny.

I've never heard that expression used in my entire life, and most people would probably agree with that. Prove me wrong and I'll leave it alone.

DownSouth49er
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
That statement is humorous. I'm dumb?! hahaha

so stupid, there was nothing wrong with that last line, except me spelling fukking with two k's to make sure it was displayed....you my friend are an azz, and an uneducated one at that

wonkman22
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM

MARK my words, are you happy mr.fucckking english professor. damn seafag fans take everything up the ***

showtym24
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
We should have a top 10 D this year. We lost bryant young and added justin smith, takeo spikes, and ManLaw, and iam thinking goldston and mcdonald will have breakout years. Our offense must be better tho.

showtym24
08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I notice seacock fans come in here just about every day and try to start **** pretty funny. They put all there energy on the hawks cuz they dont have a basketball team anymore, and when you think about it they really dont have a baseball team anymore either.

Thatruth32
08-19-2008, 02:21 PM

the niners have one of the best D last year if u really watch the games... but we had such a Bad O that our d was on the field alll game .. if our O can just control the ball and move the chains keep the d off the field i think we avged like 40 min a game on D thats crazy.... i really felt we had a solid d last year but then let all those guys gel one more year and added spikes and smith as 2 more startes... we are going to be really solid

seasun62
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
the niners have one of the best D last year if u really watch the games... but we had such a Bad O that our d was on the field alll game .. if our O can just control the ball and move the chains keep the d off the field i think we avged like 40 min a game on D thats crazy.... i really felt we had a solid d last year but then let all those guys gel one more year and added spikes and smith as 2 more startes... we are going to be really solid

I agree that the key to your defense is not going to lie solely with the changes you've made (all of which I expect to be good changes...but I wouldn't rely much on Spikes at this point...getting Lawson back will be huge). If O'Sullivan can manage to cut six to eight minutes out of the time your D is on the field then the team will be greatly improved.

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
dude like my boy said before, we've watched our team make some organizational moves that has put us in what we think is a great position for success on the field this year.

on the other hand, everyone in the nfl runs right through your defense, and so will we.

so do urself a favor and try to save some of the embarrasment. last year against u guys - we had a really poor showing. And that is probably why you think that this year wil be no different. but unlike your team, our team has had a great offseason, and we have a young defense that is showing signs of being ready to be incredibly productive this year.

when there are facts about our 09 D we will be sure to rub them in ur fukking face so even a dipsh*t like u can understand.

ps. ninernation - MARK my words ... we still love you brother!!

Go Niners!:clap:

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
dude like my boy said before, we've watched our team make some organizational moves that has put us in what we think is a great position for success on the field this year.

on the other hand, everyone in the nfl runs right through your defense, and so will we.

so do urself a favor and try to save some of the embarrasment. last year against u guys - we had a really poor showing. And that is probably why you think that this year wil be no different. but unlike your team, our team has had a great offseason, and we have a young defense that is showing signs of being ready to be incredibly productive this year.when there are facts about our 09 D we will be sure to rub them in ur fukking face so even a dipsh*t like u can understand.

:clap:

Baller1
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
MARK my words, are you happy mr.fucckking english professor. damn seafag fans take everything up the ***

:laugh2:

I'm not an english professor, I'm just educated.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

No... do you watch every single team, every game? Then you can't base comparisons off of watching just your team play.

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM

CO-SIGNER ON THAT!

Baller1
08-19-2008, 04:46 PM

so do urself a favor and try to save some of the embarrasment. last year against u guys - we had a really poor showing. And that is probably why you think that this year wil be no different. but unlike your team, our team has had a great offseason, and we have a young defense that is showing signs of being ready to be incredibly productive this year.

when there are facts about our 09 D we will be sure to rub them in ur fukking face so even a dipsh*t like u can understand.

Our team didn't have a good offseason, and you did?! How the **** do you figure...

Baller1
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM

HAHA. I'm the dipshit? Sorry, but I know my football, more than a lot of you. So, I advise you save yourself the embarrasment, because you're being the dipsh*t, who is making ludacris comments.

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
baller... how do you feel about the greater possibility of signing joe horn? serious question..

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Our team didn't have a good offseason, and you did?! How the **** do you figure...

Dude- Your biggest offseason move was aquiring Mike Wahle- WOW! Do you even know who that is?

showtym24
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
baller... how do you feel about the greater possibility of signing joe horn? serious question..

LMAO #1 wr joe horn

showtym24
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Dude- Your biggest offseason move was aquiring Mike Wahle- WOW! Do you even know who that is?

No you forgot the third string dallas rb lol

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Ooops- My bad :p

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 05:00 PM

in case he doesnt know..guard drafted by the packers most recently played with the panthers and is 31 years old..solid signing, we'll see if he can make good holes for jones

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 05:01 PM
ill be honest, their running game isnt the same since hutchinson has left..theyve been looking for that kind of guard to fill that hole since

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Ehhh... honestly, extremely risky. There's no doubt he's got talent, but he's old and he's got an ego. On top of that you already have an old receiver in Bruce. With all that said, it wouldn't be horrible considering he could provide some verteran presence and help out the young ones.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh, disregard the last post. I thought you meant for you guys. I don't want Joe Horn on the Seahawks. We already have a proven veteran in Engram, and we're stacked with players at WR. We're already stumped on who to cut between all of our Wr's and RB's. So, no, I don't want Horn.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Hmmm... he started for the first few years of his career, with a couple 1,000 yd seasons. I'd say you're not funny and a dumbass.

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh, disregard the last post. I thought you meant for you guys. I don't want Joe Horn on the Seahawks. We already have a proven veteran in Engram, and we're stacked with players at WR. We're already stumped on who to cut between all of our Wr's and RB's. So, no, I don't want Horn.

are u serious or being sarcastic?

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:12 PM

I didn't mean it like "stacked" with great players. Do you prefer "loaded" or "crowded". We have a lot of players already, and we don't need more receivers.

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

LMAO:jumpy:

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Wait, wait, hold the boat- I got it- Releasing Josh Brown- Now that was a good offseason move? And you lost him to the freakin Rams! Smart.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Wait, wait, hold the boat- I got it- Releasing Josh Brown- Now that was a good offseason move? And you lost him to the freakin Rams! Smart.

One move... ?! You're ridiculous.

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Baller where did you go?:cricket::cricket:
I know youre not watching basketball!

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Baller where did you go?:cricket::cricket:
I know youre not watching basketball!

?!

seasun62
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Releasing Josh Brown? He wasn't released, he chose to sign elsewhere...

But to your point, I think a lot of Seahawk fans are overlooking that loss and downgrading just how much it'll hurt. The only good thing about him going to the Rams is the only effect he'll have on any of their games is whether or not they get shut out or if they get a couple field goals.

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't mean it like "stacked" with great players. Do you prefer "loaded" or "crowded". We have a lot of players already, and we don't need more receivers.
well u said stacked, and loaded wouldnt work either..but crowded yes..im sure i dont know everything about whats going on with your wr core. but i am sure you guys could use one more..not because of talent but because of branch and engram hurt..i know u guys said u had some young guys that'll look good, but u could use another guy for depth..(joe horn..lol i dont really know but im not ruling it out) but u do have seneca wallace..i saw some times last year u guys using him at wr..

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
well u said stacked, and loaded wouldnt work either..but crowded yes..im sure i dont know everything about whats going on with your wr core. but i am sure you guys could use one more..not because of talent but because of branch and engram hurt..i know u guys said u had some young guys that'll look good, but u could use another guy for depth..(joe horn..lol i dont really know but im not ruling it out) but u do have seneca wallace..i saw some times last year u guys using him at wr..

But the problem is the amount of players we have at RB and WR. They're all showing promise, which is why we shouldn't add another player to the mix. The problem with Seneca is, we don't have enough faith in Charlie Frye yet, so we don't want to risk injuring Seneca.

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 05:32 PM
:laugh:hahaha look at the little girl get mad ...
HAHA. I'm the dipshit Sorry, but I know my football, more than a lot of you. So, I advise you save yourself the embarrasment, because you're being the dipsh*t, who is making ludacris comments.

damn sayin tru **** can spark sensitive feelings, well congrats buddy ur an official ****** ... cuz if you had something to come back with you would but you don't becuz ur team did nothin - ur new name is simple jack, (tropic thunder reference)

ok now go sign joe horn:laugh:

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Releasing Josh Brown? He wasn't released, he chose to sign elsewhere...

But to your point, I think a lot of Seahawk fans are overlooking that loss and downgrading just how much it'll hurt. The only good thing about him going to the Rams is the only effect he'll have on any of their games is whether or not they get shut out or if they get a couple field goals.

Yeah youre right he was not released, even worse they didn't make him a good enough offer to stay.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
hahaha look at the little girl get mad ...

damn sayin tru **** can spark sensitive feelings, well congrats buddy ur an official ****** ... cuz if you had something to come back with you would but you don't becuz ur team did nothin - ur new name should be simple jack!

ok

Honestly, I don't really care what you think. I'm a ***** because I don't take **** from people? You're really annoying, so how about you stop posting and find something else to do, because you have no clue what you're talking about.

seasun62
08-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Don't count on Wallace getting much WR time. Frye proved this past weekend that he's not ready to even be the #2 QB so Wallace won't be exposed to injury by playing WR (unfortunately, because he's fun to watch when he is out there). As for Joe Horn, I hate to agree, but I don't want him on the Hawks either. He's not an upgrade (or at least not enough of an upgrade) over what they currently have.

None of Seattle's current HEALTHY WR's is a proven commodity but I'd rather see them get a chance to develop than bring someone like Horn in.

Ben Obamanu - Pretty much the equivalent to Hackett and has had some playing time in the last year or so. Probably a career #3 or #4.

Courtney Taylor - Has had a great camp so far. Was pretty raw when Seattle drafted him but has always been high on their list for the future. Taylor was actually the reason that Seattle didn't fight to keep Hackett.

Jordan Kent - Extremely inexperienced (only 3.5 years of organized football) but looks like he could develop in to a solid player...in time. Might have to be rushed due to injuries but he's 6'4" and about 215# so he at least gives them someone that could help in the red zone.

Nate Burleson/Bobby Engram - Burleson will probably start at the beginning of the season but one of the younger guys listed above could push him early. Engram will be back....eventually.

Long shots to make the roster....Payne and Bumphus. Special teamers at best.

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Back to the point of offseason moves- Do you seriously think the Seahawks had a better offseason in terms of free agency aquisitions vs losses and the draft? Take a few moments and think about this before you answer.

wonkman22
08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
:laugh2:

I'm not an english professor, I'm just educated.

its called sarcasm you nerd fucckk...dumbazz:violin:

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't count on Wallace getting much WR time. Frye proved this past weekend that he's not ready to even be the #2 QB so Wallace won't be exposed to injury by playing WR (unfortunately, because he's fun to watch when he is out there). As for Joe Horn, I hate to agree, but I don't want him on the Hawks either. He's not an upgrade (or at least not enough of an upgrade) over what they currently have.

None of Seattle's current HEALTHY WR's is a proven commodity but I'd rather see them get a chance to develop than bring someone like Horn in.
Ben Obamanu - Pretty much the equivalent to Hackett and has had some playing time in the last year or so. Probably a career #3 or #4.

Courtney Taylor - Has had a great camp so far. Was pretty raw when Seattle drafted him but has always been high on their list for the future. Taylor was actually the reason that Seattle didn't fight to keep Hackett.

Jordan Kent - Extremely inexperienced (only 3.5 years of organized football) but looks like he could develop in to a solid player...in time. Might have to be rushed due to injuries but he's 6'4" and about 215# so he at least gives them someone that could help in the red zone.

Nate Burleson/Bobby Engram - Burleson will probably start at the beginning of the season but one of the younger guys listed above could push him early. Engram will be back....eventually.

Long shots to make the roster....Payne and Bumphus. Special teamers at best.

as would i if i was a hawk fan..i mean its not like your qb/oline are horrible..

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
You're really annoying, so how about you stop posting and find something else to do, because you have no clue what you're talking about.

yo dude i happen to talk a lot of smack yes, but i always bring it back to football, if you don't like it, how about not comin onto my turf talking **** about my team potna (gangster/tough guy - faces/poses/hand gestures/spit in your face u puto)

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 06:59 PM
you sadi it urself Baller...
I'm a *****

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
nice pic born frisco - i'll be ur witness u were the first to put ray mac on ur pic

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
nice pic born frisco - i'll be ur witness u were the first to put ray mac on ur pic

lol thats manny lawson..thats a pic from his years at nc state..i will say i debated on who to put up their..ray mac or manny..i chose manny because ive been loyal to him the longest..mac is in my sig now tho..

NorCalzimm
08-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Where did baller go?

His new name should be skeelo

I wish I was little bit taller,
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good
I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a '64 Impala

I'm just cracking myself up today- Holla

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
lol he'll be back later tonight..guarantee

Thatruth32
08-19-2008, 07:16 PM
No... do you watch every single team, every game? Then you can't base comparisons off of watching just your team play.

i never asked if u wanted all the games.... i just made a statment

showtym24
08-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Excuse him he has no life. He just likes to go on other teams forums and talk **** behind a keyboard.

bornFrisco49er
08-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Excuse him he has no life. He just likes to go on other teams forums and talk **** behind a keyboard.

there's a lot of them out there..

Baller1
08-19-2008, 07:44 PM
yo dude i happen to talk a lot of smack yes, but i always bring it back to football, if you don't like it, how about not comin onto my turf talking **** about my team potna (gangster/tough guy - faces/poses/hand gestures/spit in your face u puto)

What the hell are you talking about? Your team? Guess what, some other fans here actually converse about football, such as bornfrisco49er. You, however, just try to talk mess and aggravate people. Again, you're posts contain no intelligence whatsoever. This is getting way off topic, so stop making irrelevant posts. I'm leaving this alone now.

Baller1
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM

I'm sorry, did I anger you?

Baller1
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
as would i if i was a hawk fan..i mean its not like your qb/oline are horrible..

Exactly, as long as we have the West Coast Offense as our system, we don't need a superstar WR. Although, that'd be nice, haha...

Baller1
08-19-2008, 07:47 PM

Yes. I love it. I sit here all day everyday, posting, posting, posting...

KenTHEsfKING
08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
baller dude i already ended this and u seem to miss on my repeated jokes. so i gues that makes you a joke - and a good one at that - so thanks for all the laffs!! keep posting!!:laugh:

974life
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
The niners have a much improved D that will lead to more win's, no matter our offense.

wonkman22
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry, did I anger you?

no, but you made yourself look like an idiot

Baller1
08-19-2008, 10:05 PM
HAHA. This is great, instead of football, I have half of you 49er fans more focused on talking **** on me. Yet, I can't figure out why... So can we talk about football, becuase you've caused this thread to get wayyy off topic.

NorCalzimm
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
HAHA. This is great, instead of football, I have half of you 49er fans more focused on talking **** on me. Yet, I can't figure out why... So can we talk about football, becuase you've caused this thread to get wayyy off topic.

Yes, please go talk about football in the Seahawks forum

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM

wow this is funny. anyway, the defense was hurt last year and was on the field way too long in a game to show that they were actually good. However, Patrick Willis had over 170 tackles, Michael Lewis had over 100 tackles, and Nate Clements had close to 100 tackles....You add Takeo Spikes, who had more than 100 last year before he got injured, and Lawson coming back from injury who can cover, and we have good defense. "on paper," of course, because the offense has to produce first, so they can keep the defense fresh.

seasun62
08-20-2008, 01:32 PM
wow this is funny. anyway, the defense was hurt last year and was on the field way too long in a game to show that they were actually good. However, Patrick Willis had over 170 tackles, Michael Lewis had over 100 tackles, and Nate Clements had close to 100 tackles....You add Takeo Spikes, who had more than 100 last year before he got injured, and Lawson coming back from injury who can cover, and we have good defense. "on paper," of course, because the offense has to produce first, so they can keep the defense fresh.

Ninerfan, in a perfect world all of those guy's tackle totals drop by about 20%...that means your offense is doing a better job of keeping the D off the field. I don't think SF will ever see the real potential of that defense until the offense does a better job. The talent's definitely there, now they need some help from the other side of the ball.

Baller1
08-20-2008, 01:57 PM

I've never denied the fact that you're defense is solid with good talent. But, I've also said plenty of times, no matter how much you hate it, the offense is putrid. There's nothing you have done in the off season to make me think that will change. Sorry to be so blatant, but it's how I feel. And, frankly, it's how a lot of non 9er fans feel.

NorCalzimm
08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Baller- I thought the thread was about defense ranking? We know our offense was putrid last year- Hopefully that will change this year. It is how most 9er fans feel as well, but thanks for stating the obvious. Your overwhelming knowledge of the game just has me feeling so miniscule :p

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I've never denied the fact that you're defense is solid with good talent. But, I've also said plenty of times, no matter how much you hate it, the offense is putrid. There's nothing you have done in the off season to make me think that will change. Sorry to be so blatant, but it's how I feel. And, frankly, it's how a lot of non 9er fans feel.

Honestly, just getting Martz is an upgrade. A proven OC like Norv. When we had Norv we missed the West division by losing to the Cards twice, we then picked up Nate Clements, and swept them last year. Our real challenge in the west is the Seahawks, and i think we match up to you guys.

...And sorry to be so blatant, but just like our decade of SB rings came to and end, so will your streak of winning this division.

Baller1
08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Honestly, just getting Martz is an upgrade. A proven OC like Norv. When we had Norv we missed the West division by losing to the Cards twice, we then picked up Nate Clements, and swept them last year. Our real challenge in the west is the Seahawks, and i think we match up to you guys.

...And sorry to be so blatant, but just like our decade of SB rings came to and end, so will your streak of winning this division.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way you match up to us. Not yet. Our defense is better, our offense is better. There isn't much more to it.

bornFrisco49er
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way you match up to us. Not yet. Our defense is better, our offense is better. There isn't much more to it.

maybe not a "perfect" match up, but worthy of a good game IMO..we didnt show up last year against u guys i admit..but we play the hawks earlier enough to have a good game and "steal" one from u guys..if you guys lose your first game vs. the bills(good test for start of season vs a rising team, but i heard edwards is hurt) we COULD (lol didnt say we will) capitalize off of that.. our last game against the hawks is in week 8 and IMO thats still early in the season...

Baller1
08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
maybe not a "perfect" match up, but worthy of a good game IMO..we didnt show up last year against u guys i admit..but we play the hawks earlier enough to have a good game and "steal" one from u guys..if you guys lose your first game vs. the bills(good test for start of season vs a rising team, but i heard edwards is hurt) we COULD (lol didnt say we will) capitalize off of that.. our last game against the hawks is in week 8 and IMO thats still early in the season...

I'm not going to keep saying the same thing because it is just going to piss you guys off (I'd be getting annoyed), but your offense will not score on our defense. It's just not going to happen. I'll leave that alone for now though.

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm not going to keep saying the same thing because it is just going to piss you guys off (I'd be getting annoyed), but your offense will not score on our defense. It's just not going to happen. I'll leave that alone for now though.

Quote me: The 49ers offense will score a least two touchdowns when they play the Seahawks on week 3.

bornFrisco49er
08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

:eyebrow: is that a guarantee?

Baller1
08-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Quote me: The 49ers offense will score a least two touchdowns when they play the Seahawks on week 3.

It's possible, but not likely.

Baller1
08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
:eyebrow: is that a guarantee?

I meant to say the 49ers will not score enough to beat the Hawks.

bornFrisco49er
08-20-2008, 03:08 PM
lol..not enough now? u changed it..but its 2 late i quoted u already

Baller1
08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
lol..not enough now? u changed it..but its 2 late i quoted u already

It's fine. I probably would've done the same thing. I wouldn't care at all right now, but even if the 49ers get a field goal now, I'm going to look like a dumbass. haha

bornFrisco49er
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
It's fine. I probably would've done the same thing. I wouldn't care at all right now, but even if the 49ers get a field goal now, I'm going to look like a dumbass. haha

lol its ok man..we all have those moments..

seasun62
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM

niner, just for fun...I'll take that bet...Of course, you did say that the OFFENSE will score at least 2 td's in week 3. Special Teams and Defense do not count.

bornFrisco49er
08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
niner, just for fun...I'll take that bet...Of course, you did say that the OFFENSE will score at least 2 td's in week 3. Special Teams and Defense do not count.

lol now everyone is getting in on this stuff

seasun62
08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
lol now everyone is getting in on this stuff

Well, it beats the **** that everyone has been throwing back and fourth in the two forums. Personally, I just can't wait for the regular season to start and we'll see where both teams are. With a decent offense I think that the 9ers have a top rated D. Without solid clock management on O, they'll have the same issue as last year. Let's hope, for the sake of the division as a whole, that the SF Offense does enough to allow your D to play to it's potential.

As far as "taking the bet" I would base my confidence in Seattle's D on a couple of items:

Martz's offense takes a while to learn...even though JT and Bruce have experience with it.

Second...
O'Sullivan's not going to put the fear of God in to anyone until he proves he can be a legit starter in the NFL>

Baller1
08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
This is getting interesting now. haha

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 03:33 PM

thats what i said, not defense, not special teams.

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
since i want to keep this thread on-topic, i will also say that if healthy, our defense will not allow Matt, or any other seahawk QB, more than 200 yards in the air.

mac scootch
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Its usually baller and the Hawks fans that start trouble in here...but the Hawks got D. And they got rid of Alexander (And I think I got bashed for calling him soft a couple seasons ago.), so thats a huge upgrade in the run game. haha. Not sold on Jones as a feature back though.

ninerfan609
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Its usually baller and the Hawks fans that start trouble in here...but the Hawks got D. And they got rid of Alexander (And I think I got bashed for calling him soft a couple seasons ago.), so thats a huge upgrade in the run game. haha. Not sold on Jones as a feature back though.

So your back? you should post here more often. I just started again, after house buying and my first baby.

Anyway, no doubt on my mind that the Hawks have a great D, but like i said, i think our D can match up with theirs.

Baller1
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Yeah, It's always the Hawk fans... :rolleyes:

Anyway, no one is really sold on Jones as a feature back yet, but that's why he isn't. He's going to share carries, until he proves he can handle the load on his own.

NorCalzimm
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Anyway, no one is really sold on Jones as a feature back yet, but that's why he isn't. He's going to share carries, until he proves he can handle the load on his own.

I actually like Jones-Enough to even have him as a backup in my fantasy league

Baller1
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
I actually like Jones-Enough to even have him as a backup in my fantasy league

Yeah, it really just depends on how quickly he proves that he deserves to be getting the majority of the carries.

lincecum=future
08-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Thats one of the problems. Your twisting our words around. He said usually not always :rolleyes:

974life
08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
The 49ers defense are the cream of the crop in th NFC west, the rams are very old or very young, the cards have holes in their D Line and it looks like their LB core needs help to, the seahawks look to be close but they are old so, Go Niners!!!!!!

seasun62
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
The 49ers defense are the cream of the crop in th NFC west, the rams are very old or very young, the cards have holes in their D Line and it looks like their LB core needs help to, the seahawks look to be close but they are old so, Go Niners!!!!!!

The Hawks D is old? Not sure how you get that. JP is in his prime, Tatupu is still young enough not to know you occasionally need a designated driver, Hill is Tatupu's age, the CB's are all young, Kearney is older...but very replaceable, all of the DT's are young (and solid), the Safety's may be nearing the end of their prime...but they're safeties, depth at all positions is young.

I'll put another bet out there. I'll bet that the Seahawks are rated higher than the 9er's in run d, passing d and overall d when the season is over.

seasun62
08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
since i want to keep this thread on-topic, i will also say that if healthy, our defense will not allow Matt, or any other seahawk QB, more than 200 yards in the air.

I'll take that bet as well. I'll do you a small favor even (I know you didn't ask for one). I'll bet that, if healthy, Matt will throw for over 200 yards in at least one of the two games against SF. I'd say two but I don't want to take that chance that the Hawks get out to a big lead early and then just sit on the ball with the running game.:cheers:

Baller1
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Again, another ignorant 49er fan saying our defense is old. Our defense is better than yours, get over it.

NorCalzimm
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Again, another ignorant 49er fan saying our defense is old. Our defense is better than yours, get over it.

I think if the seahawks "D" played as many minutes the 9ers "D" last year you'd be singing a different tune.

Baller1
08-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I think if the seahawks "D" played as many minutes the 9ers "D" last year you'd be singing a different tune.

1. Our offense doesn't suck *** like yours.

2. Our defense would still be better than yours.

This is an honest question... Do you know how many starters we had in the pro-bowl on defense alone last season?! Don't give me the "pro-bowl=popularity contest" BS, because the Seahawks probably get the least publicity in the league. We actually have to earn our attention.

seasun62
08-20-2008, 11:38 PM

NorCal, you're right...no question. Without a decent offense a defense will suffer fatigue every game. Your changes on D will not have as significant effect as improved offensive production would.

mac scootch
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM

This is an honest question... Do you know how many starters we had in the pro-bowl on defense alone last season?! Don't give me the "pro-bowl=popularity contest" BS, because the Seahawks probably get the least publicity in the league. We actually have to earn our attention.

If our pass rush is consistent, then you might have to eat your words. Playing Justin Smith at OLB not DE to be a pass rusher. He also moves around the line so he could be on either side at any given play. Smith is good enough to get respect and probably command a double team. If the O line doesn't work together, our complicated blitz packages will confuse the heck out of them.

And Manny's back!

The Niners have the best DB's in the division...all offenses are lucky if Goldson doesn't start. And he probably won't.

Baller1
08-21-2008, 02:37 AM
If our pass rush is consistent, then you might have to eat your words. Playing Justin Smith at OLB not DE to be a pass rusher. He also moves around the line so he could be on either side at any given play. Smith is good enough to get respect and probably command a double team. If the O line doesn't work together, our complicated blitz packages will confuse the heck out of them.

And Manny's back!

The Niners have the best DB's in the division...all offenses are lucky if Goldson doesn't start. And he probably won't.

You mentioned three players, one whom may not start. That's proof enough to make me believe your defense will be better than ours? And, honestly, Clements is the only player off the top of my head that I can think of from your secondary.

DownSouth49er
08-21-2008, 04:35 AM
You mentioned three players, one whom may not start. That's proof enough to make me believe you defense will be better than hours. And, honestly, Clements is the only player off the top of my head that I can think of from your secondary.

So you only knowing one player from our secondary is basis for you thinking we don't have the best DB's in the west?

bornFrisco49er
08-21-2008, 04:56 AM
im sure he knows michael lewis and walt harris..i hope hes being sarcastic..i know the seahawks' secondary..deon grant trufant, josh wilson and kelly jennings..

Baller1
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
So you only knowing one player from our secondary is basis for you thinking we don't have the best DB's in the west?

Not at all, but scootch is claiming you have the best DB's in the West, when the only San Fran player from the secondary I can think of is Nate. Not that that is how it should be based, but usually I'll know the players on a secondary if it's a good one.

Baller1
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
im sure he knows michael lewis and walt harris..i hope hes being sarcastic..i know the seahawks' secondary..deon grant trufant, josh wilson and kelly jennings..

You're right, I do know both, when you mention them. But, I would've never thought of them on my own. And replace Josh Wilson with Brian Russell if you're aiming for the staters...

bartlett2266
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
im really excited about this D lets hope the offense can get them some rest

seasun62
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Pretty close. Wilson is the fifth or sixth DB...the other safety is Brian Russell....sorry, I guess that was redundant

NorCalzimm
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM

*I'm just trying to make this a fair comparison- considering we are supposed to be on topic about the "D" correct?
*So back to the "D". If your defense logged as many minutes as the 9er "D" did last year you would not even be on this thread stating this crap. It also comes down to leadership- Singletary and Tomsula command enough respect that our players would die before giving up. Not sure if the players would do that for other coaches around the league?
*My prediction- Hasselbutt will get knocked the _ _ _ _ out when they play the Niners and give up at least 1 int. before he gets knocked the _ _ _ _ out

bornFrisco49er
08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
You're right, I do know both, when you mention them. But, I would've never thought of them on my own. And replace Josh Wilson with Brian Russell if you're aiming for the staters...

well i wasnt aiming for starters, just guys i knew

974life
08-22-2008, 02:11 AM
The Hawks D is old? Not sure how you get that. JP is in his prime, Tatupu is still young enough not to know you occasionally need a designated driver, Hill is Tatupu's age, the CB's are all young, Kearney is older...but very replaceable, all of the DT's are young (and solid), the Safety's may be nearing the end of their prime...but they're safeties, depth at all positions is young.

I'll put another bet out there. I'll bet that the Seahawks are rated higher than the 9er's in run d, passing d and overall d when the season is over.

How do you want to make this bet happen? Ill take a sucker bet when I see one.

seasun62
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
How do you want to make this bet happen? Ill take a sucker bet when I see one.

Cool! Never had a bet in one of these forums so you name the deal and we'll go from there. :box:

KenTHEsfKING
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Cool! Never had a bet in one of these forums so you name the deal and we'll go from there. :box:

can i get in on this too?

seasun62
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
can i get in on this too?

Ken, name the bet....

:cheers:

Thatruth32
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Not at all, but scootch is claiming you have the best DB's in the West, when the only San Fran player from the secondary I can think of is Nate. Not that that is how it should be based, but usually I'll know the players on a secondary if it's a good one.

i havent even been readin all of these post.. but who cares ur a seahawks fan why dont u just post in there... i could see once in a while asking a question but i see more post from this guy than anybody... niner forum is for niner fans... go be a seacock somewere else :silly:

seasun62
08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
i havent even been readin all of these post.. but who cares ur a seahawks fan why dont u just post in there... i could see once in a while asking a question but i see more post from this guy than anybody... niner forum is for niner fans... go be a seacock somewere else :silly:

Truth, while I won't defend baller and some of his comments...drinking the coolaid in your own team's forum can get boring. If everyone is praising the same guys on the same team, what's the fun in that. It's pretty tough to find someone to debate with. And lets face it, why would anyone want to debate in the Cardinals or the Ram's forums? As they are every year...everyone's saying "this could be the Cardinals year....". I live in Phoenix but grew up in Seattle, outside of computer forums where everyone can be anonymous virtually every Card fan knows it's the same 'ol, same 'ol down here.

At least with the 9er fans we have something remotely developing in to a rivalry. We're both in the NW area of the country and in the same division. As a Hawks fan I hope you guys are improved and that there is a real division race this year. I'm sick of listening to fans across the country bagging on the NFC West.

Thatruth32
08-22-2008, 03:40 PM
^ i dig it .. to me its diffrent you are coming asking questions or just wanna pass time and shoot the shiiiit but seems like everytime i see a post of his its stiring up the pot... but i can see were u are coming from....

seasun62
08-22-2008, 03:54 PM
^ i dig it .. to me its diffrent you are coming asking questions or just wanna pass time and shoot the shiiiit but seems like everytime i see a post of his its stiring up the pot... but i can see were u are coming from....

I hear ya, there are definitely some idiots on both sides of this fence.

Magic12ball
08-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Niners D is fantastic on paper, but I dunno how well they will come together. I sure don't think they will be as good as our D. I have no idea what happened last night against Sproles; I pray and believe that it was a fluke, because that was utter horseshit. Please don't tell me you believe that our Passing D is bad. If you think that, put down the joint and look up some stats.

Least passing TDs allowed with 15. If we didn't give 4 freebies up to Atlanta, it would have been 11. No doubt there.

I would say Gore gets around 150 yards and a TD against our D in both games combined. He is not as good as you people say he is and he is wearing down.

NorCalzimm
08-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I would say Gore gets around 150 yards and a TD against our D in both games combined. He is not as good as you people say he is and he is wearing down.
*Did you bump your head?

Magic12ball
08-26-2008, 07:54 PM
If I remember right, Gore didn't do too well against us last year. Didn't he start fumbling too?

Your OL hasn't gotten any better. No new FB. No reason for Gore to be better.

Oh right, he was reborn as Baby Jesus over the offseason. My bad, I forgot.

Lincoln Logs
08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
If I remember right, Gore didn't do too well against us last year. Didn't he start fumbling too?

Your OL hasn't gotten any better. No new FB. No reason for Gore to be better.

Oh right, he was reborn as Baby Jesus over the offseason. My bad, I forgot.

We was 16-79 his first game, which comes out to a 5 yards per carry average. He also caught 3 balls fo 42 yards, but lost one fumble.

2nd game he was 13-72 for a 5.5 ypc avergage. No fumbles.

So yes, he still ripped up your d pretty bad, he just wasn't used as effectively by Jim Hostler because Hostler is a ****ing idiot. At least one of those games was also played when he was hurt.

We had SOOO many injuries to our OLine last year. Every starter except for Staley went down. But it was nearly the same oline from the year before when Gore almost reached 1700 yards.

This year, we've only lost Smiley, whose easily replaced, because Allen might come back to us. He might be a major blow if we loose him to retirement or another team, but he is very old as well. Our starting Oline can be very good, but that injury bug is starting to bite again, and we need much more depth.

Magic12ball
08-26-2008, 08:30 PM
First of all, I can sympathize about the injury bug. The Seahawks went from one of the best underrated WR cores in the league to looking at UDFAs and sixth rounders because of injury. Granted, all of our rookies are promising, but promising doesn't hold a candle to Deion Branch or Bobby Engram.

Second of all, Martz isn't much better. I can't exactly commend his use of Kevin Smith in Detroit. Not a Lions fan at all (With full sympathy to the poor bast_ards), but Detroit always seemed to go for the pass.

Third of all, O-line I know how you feel. I dunno how old Allen is, but there is no way he is much older than Jones, and all Hawks fans know the kind of blow our OL will take when he decides to call it a career.

I don't think Gore makes 1700 yards though. I think that year was a slight fluke; I would call it at about 1350.

Why does everybody think our rushing D is so bad anyways? Its not really. We got shredded against G-bay cause we were on ice. We stopped Portis cold. In fact, very few RBs crossed 100 last year against us.

THE NATION
08-26-2008, 09:34 PM
First of all, I can sympathize about the injury bug. The Seahawks went from one of the best underrated WR cores in the league to looking at UDFAs and sixth rounders because of injury. Granted, all of our rookies are promising, but promising doesn't hold a candle to Deion Branch or Bobby Engram.

Second of all, Martz isn't much better. I can't exactly commend his use of Kevin Smith in Detroit. Not a Lions fan at all (With full sympathy to the poor bast_ards), but Detroit always seemed to go for the pass.

Third of all, O-line I know how you feel. I dunno how old Allen is, but there is no way he is much older than Jones, and all Hawks fans know the kind of blow our OL will take when he decides to call it a career.

I don't think Gore makes 1700 yards though. I think that year was a slight fluke; I would call it at about 1350.

Why does everybody think our rushing D is so bad anyways? Its not really. We got shredded against G-bay cause we were on ice. We stopped Portis cold. In fact, very few RBs crossed 100 last year against us.

the last 9 years Martz teams have been top 10 in the NFL in passing yards and it will happen again. Gore is way better than Kevin Jones. The O line is pretty good and we have good depth. Get ready to get rolled. The niners will move the ball and the D is going to be top 10.

NinerNation
08-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Its funny how everyone is getting hot and bothered by the seattle fans coming in here. I think we all know how the games against them will turn out this year. Lets just let the games do the talking and after that they wont come in here anymore to talk ****.

TrialNError04
08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I was looking at some stats from last year

We were 22nd against the run, 22 against the pass and 25th in total yards.

I know we lost BY but we seem to have an improved pass rush which should help out our DB's.

Also I Think that our overall depth on D has improve as well.(DL and LB)

We have some very good player on D (J.Smith, Willis, Clements, M.Lewis, Lawson, Mcdonald looks good too)

So my prediction is we should be near the top 10 in total Defence!!

Honestly it really depends on the offense. I didnt think our defense was bad last season, but when your on the field the entire game because your offense is constantly going 3 and out, your going to tire and give up major yardage and points. If the offense does its job and plays in the middle of the pack, this defense has the makings to be very good (top 10). If the offense struggles again though, the defense will do exactly what they did last season, bottom half of the league when it deserved better.

Magic12ball
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Don't even bother giving Hawks crap about how ToP destroys defenses. All Hawks fans saw it against Pittsburgh. Any fan disregarding ToP is either joking or an idiot.

Like NinerNation said, the teams will do the talking. Lets see how our "retirement home offense" matches up to your "top ten defense." Its two and a half weeks away :)

I will eat crow if we get steamrolled. However, I gaurantee you will NOT walk into our house and steamroll us.

974life
08-26-2008, 10:33 PM
The Niners D Will get some more rest in between series that is if our offense can move the ball which right now looks very likley this will lead to the super D that we are capeble of. Go Niners!!!

THE NATION
08-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't even bother giving Hawks crap about how ToP destroys defenses. All Hawks fans saw it against Pittsburgh. Any fan disregarding ToP is either joking or an idiot.

Like NinerNation said, the teams will do the talking. Lets see how our "retirement home offense" matches up to your "top ten defense." Its two and a half weeks away :)

I will eat crow if we get steamrolled. However, I gaurantee you will NOT walk into our house and steamroll us.

We will beat you by 8 in your house.

Magic12ball
08-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Horse-****.

They all think that theres no way Qwest matters that much.... Look at what the Skins said before they got annihilated in our house. Trust me, in our house, we can give the Pats or Colts a fight for their money. Maybe you will take the away game. Maybe Gore will "shred" our defense in front of a crowd of red and gold. Not happening here in the PCNW. Theres a reason we usually go 7-1 or 8-0 at home.

*in case you hadn't noticed, only the Colts have won more home games than we have in the past few years.

THE NATION
08-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Horse-****.

They all think that theres no way Qwest matters that much.... Look at what the Skins said before they got annihilated in our house. Trust me, in our house, we can give the Pats or Colts a fight for their money. Maybe you will take the away game. Maybe Gore will "shred" our defense in front of a crowd of red and gold. Not happening here in the PCNW. Theres a reason we usually go 7-1 or 8-0 at home.

*in case you hadn't noticed, only the Colts have won more home games than we have in the past few years.

And the Colts have won a Super Bowl and so have the Pats.

Magic12ball
08-27-2008, 07:53 PM
So clearly, we are a SB team in our own house :)

Baller1
08-27-2008, 09:55 PM
We will beat you by 8 in your house.

Are you talking about points, or times sacked?

Magic12ball
08-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Lol!

leftymo
09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
After Week 1 --

10th Overall Defense
17th Against the Run
15th Against the Pass
21st in Points Allowed.

So technically speaking we are the 10th best defense in football.

leftymo
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
After Week 2...

Total Defense 19th Overall
Run Defense 23rd overall
Pass Defense 14th Overall
Points Allowed 27th Overall

Right now we have a below average defense, and pretty awful in points allowed stat.

Bad against the run is expected in a 3-4 defense, and especially in a nickel defense.

1hardcore
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
No pass rush whatsoever!

Baller1
09-16-2008, 11:24 PM
After Week 2...

Total Defense 19th Overall
Run Defense 23rd overall
Pass Defense 14th Overall
Points Allowed 27th Overall

Right now we have a below average defense, and pretty awful in points allowed stat.

Bad against the run is expected in a 3-4 defense, and especially in a nickel defense.

Well yeah, if you guys run with 5 DB's like you did against the Hawks, lack of run stop should be expected.

Forty9erfan
09-17-2008, 12:37 AM
HAHA. I'm the dipshit? Sorry, but I know my football, more than a lot of you. So, I advise you save yourself the embarrasment, because you're being the dipsh*t, who is making ludacris comments.

It Ok you lost all of their recivers so you resort to a cracked out Koren Robisonson.:confused:

Baller1
09-17-2008, 01:21 AM
It Ok you lost all of their recivers so you resort to a cracked out Koren Robisonson.:confused:

Ok? How long ago did I even post that and what does it have to do with that post?! :confused:

jbeezy
09-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Please stop the fighting.

bornFrisco49er
09-17-2008, 02:29 AM
yeah seriously guys

leftymo
09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
fighting isn't allowed on the boards, but healthy arguments or disagreements are welcomed. It adds flavor. Unlike the granola interviews done by KNBR on the 49er brass. A bunch of pansy questions, all sugar coated fluff for guys getting paid a lot of money.

leftymo
09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Nothing like a blow out to help our defensive statistics. But now we get challenged.

Overall Defense - 10th (tied with that team in texas)
Run Defense - 20th
Pass Defense - 7th
Points Allowed - 19th (tied with Cleveland)

Some dramatic improvements overall and in pass defense. Props for shutting down Williams & Johnson.

horry1ur
09-22-2008, 07:05 PM

:clap: nice to hear from a seahawks fan

NorCalzimm
09-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Posted by Leftymo:
The Bust Streak
2001 - Andre Carter
2002 - Mike Rumph
2003 - Kwame Harris
2004 - Rashaun Woods
2005 - Alex Smith
2006 - Vernon Davis
2008 - Kentwan Balmer???

and you wonder why they keep losing....

2001- Andre Carter:154 solo tackles, 32 sacks, and 12 pass deflections in 69 games. Yeah- He's terrible? But Eric Johnson did very well for us

2002-Rumph-I'll give ya that one. But don't forget about Eric Heitmann

2003-Harris- Enough said. ARNAZ BATTLE!

2004-Woods- BUST. Justin Smiley, Shawntae Spencer, Soapoaga, Andy Lee-PRO BOWLER, Keith Lewis

2005-Alex Smith- Too early to tell. BAAS. Some guy named FRANK GORE, Adam Snyder, Bajema,

2006-Vernon Davis- BUST? Not what I expected yet- But not a bust. LAWSON, MROB, Haralyson, Walker,Hudson

2007-Ooh I see you skipped 07- PATRICK WILLIS,Joe staley, the entire class has potential

Bottom line- Ur an idiot

bornFrisco49er
09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
thank you norcalzimm!!! im trying to explain to this guy in another thread..lol

NorCalzimm
09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
thank you norcalzimm!!! im trying to explain to this guy in another thread..lol

No problem-I hope you have a lot of time and patience

leftymo
09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Posted by Leftymo:

2001- Andre Carter:154 solo tackles, 32 sacks, and 12 pass deflections in 69 games. Yeah- He's terrible? But Eric Johnson did very well for us

2002-Rumph-I'll give ya that one. But don't forget about Eric Heitmann

2003-Harris- Enough said. ARNAZ BATTLE!

2004-Woods- BUST. Justin Smiley, Shawntae Spencer, Soapoaga, Andy Lee-PRO BOWLER, Keith Lewis

2005-Alex Smith- Too early to tell. BAAS. Some guy named FRANK GORE, Adam Snyder, Bajema,

2006-Vernon Davis- BUST? Not what I expected yet- But not a bust. LAWSON, MROB, Haralyson, Walker,Hudson

2007-Ooh I see you skipped 07- PATRICK WILLIS,Joe staley, the entire class has potential

Bottom line- Ur an idiot

You defend the busted picks by showing the other players in the draft?

Why don't you post the 49ers NFL record in those seasons and the number of pro-bowls those #1 picks went to...

Clearly you never took an argument writing course in college, b/c that was extremely weak. We might as well talk about the NBA draft. lol.

leftymo
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Top Current NFL TE's. (receptions)

Witten - 3rd round choice
Shockey - 14th overall selection
Gonzalez - 13th overall selection
Winslow - 6th overall selection

Those are the top 4, and 3 of them were top 1st round picks, just like VD. That's where he should be as a 1st rounder. If you want him to do what he's been doing, take him in the 6th round.

Its easy to defend players when they play for your team, but are you being objective when it comes to other players outperforming, drafted near or at the same location? Kyle Brady was a bust for the Jets. His numbers are probably closer to VD than Tony Gonzalez.

bornFrisco49er
09-22-2008, 10:52 PM
what about ben watson for the patriots, greg olson, jeremy stevens..u dont get it that different offenses have different gameplans and ways to utilize their players..ben watson is a solid TE for the patriots that blocks as well, doesnt mean he is a bust..jeremy stevens is resurging in Tampa..Greg olson is solid for Chicago..u cant blame VD for not being a pro bowl player if they dont give him looks..last year the o was horrible..give him a chance..geez..he has an OC this year that could give him a chance to get the ball..do i no for sure..no..

bornFrisco49er
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
if u want busts then how about charles rogers 2nd overall and mike williams 10th overall..theyre not even in the league anymore

leftymo
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
if u want busts then how about charles rogers 2nd overall and mike williams 10th overall..theyre not even in the league anymore

I agree. I'm not going to say Williams & Rogers aren't busts. They too aren't worth their draft status.

As for VD... when he does get the ball thrown his way he drops it. Or does just enough to get his hands on it. I'm going to wait for production from him, that's all. If you are truly better than your peers, you'll show it on the field and the coaches would be smart enough to find you.

ninerfan609
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
ok....back to the topic...the forty niners are ranked 9th in total defense, and 7th in pass defense so far this year.

WestCoastPhan
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
You guys are headed towards being a top 10 offense, and just need to sure up the run d to become a top 10 defense. Playing like that there's no reason why you guys can't be above .500, but it is early and anything can happen, tough streak of games coming up and i think you can more fairly judge the niners depending on how they play, not so much wins and losses.

bornFrisco49er
09-27-2008, 03:23 AM
ok....back to the topic...the forty niners are ranked 9th in total defense, and 7th in pass defense so far this year.

i know i saw that..very nice so far..hopefully we can sustain our position after the saints game despite their intimidating aerial assault..

contain REGGIE/BREES!

aquaman117
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
that's suprising to hear how well our D is ranked because i don't think they've played up to there potential yet, the pass D has been awesome but we need to stop the run more consistantly

FrumDaBay
09-28-2008, 04:00 AM
IT is WAY to early to classify VD as a bust.. first off his presence alone on the field has D's wondering what the hell to do.. just by having his speed out there pulls guys out of position and opens up room for the other WRs to get open... even if he drops some balls (which i know gets F'ing frustrating) just having him run his routs is key, plus he is a good blocker and only getting better at it.. FAR from a bust..... yet

leftymo
09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
After 4 weeks

Niners overall defense - 21st in the NFL
Niners against the run - 21st in the NFL
Niners against the pass - 19th in the NFL
Niners in points allowed - 17th in the NFL

A below average defense that now faces some decent offenses with Philly & NYG, and NE.

I hate being right all the time.

VD update. 4 catches in 4 games. When you are near the bottom among all TE's in football but are drafted 6th overall and get paid more than most TE's in football you are a bust. Don't hate my opinion, hate the definition.

leftymo
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
VD = a great athlete that plays football

not to be confused with a great football player.

Magic12ball
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you! Thats what I've been trying to say, but nobody seems to be getting it.

NorCalzimm
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Mike Nolan is a defensive coach correct? Thinking logically here: Now that we have Martz we rank 12th in total offense so far- Quantum leaps over last year. Given that Nolan doesn't have to worry about the offense anymore, shouldn't the defense be quantum leaps better then last year? We rank 22nd in total defense only 3 spots better than last year! Is it the scheme? We seem to have a very talented and experienced defense with the excpetion of a few players. WTF is going on?

DownSouth49er
10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Mike Nolan is a defensive coach correct? Thinking logically here: Now that we have Martz we rank 12th in total offense so far- Quantum leaps over last year. Given that Nolan doesn't have to worry about the offense anymore, shouldn't the defense be quantum leaps better then last year? We rank 22nd in total defense only 3 spots better than last year! Is it the scheme? We seem to have a very talented and experienced defense with the excpetion of a few players. WTF is going on?

what needs to happen is nolan needs to stop with the hybrid crap and run the base 3-4 because the players we have are best suited for that...keep manny on the field and blitz...no pressure is coming from the down lineman at all

THE NATION
10-01-2008, 04:10 PM

The 2 games that the D didn't look good were the games against the Seahawks and Saints. Thosr are the 2 games Nolan decided to use the "SUB" package on D with 5 or 6 DB's and 1 or 2 less LB's. We gave up over 30 in each game. We also didn't blitz much. In the Saints game we blitzed in the 1st Qtr and good things happened, but Nolan called the Blitz off after that. Against the Hawks we had no blitz. Even when we do blitz, its the same, he needs to send different guys from different sides of the field and keep the O guessing. I know that much, and I think Nolan should also know this, but he doesn't show it.

bartlett2266
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I dont think we have that NT that attracts double teams and frees up others something we really need along with another blitzing LB to run the 3-4. I know Nolan links the 3-4 but i think our personnel is better suited for a 4-3.
smith sopauga franklin harlson
lawson willis spikes

i think we should have 2 monters protecting the middle for willis to roam.
brian urlacher had great seasons with ted washington and keith traylor proctecting the middle for him

bornFrisco49er
10-02-2008, 02:52 AM
The 2 games that the D didn't look good were the games against the Seahawks and Saints. Thosr are the 2 games Nolan decided to use the "SUB" package on D with 5 or 6 DB's and 1 or 2 less LB's. We gave up over 30 in each game. We also didn't blitz much. In the Saints game we blitzed in the 1st Qtr and good things happened, but Nolan called the Blitz off after that. Against the Hawks we had no blitz. Even when we do blitz, its the same, he needs to send different guys from different sides of the field and keep the O guessing. I know that much, and I think Nolan should also know this, but he doesn't show it.

its not all nolan and we know that..manusky is the DC and makes decisions as well..but the players play the game and blitz or not, our safeties should not get killed on vertical routes twice in a game..goldson, m.lewis and mark roman were getting beat..two much zone coverages..and with a zone coverage and no blitz brees has all day..nate is better at press coverage and i dont know why we're not pressing him..we'll see if any new gameplans come out this week vs new england...if we get our butt kicked id be pissed..im hoping not and we need to "Throw the kitchen sink" at cassel just like porter did..hes no brady and we need 2 remember that

ninerfan609
10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I made this video on nfl.com: (im so proud of it)

http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/clip.aspx?key=6093F6D57EA54D98&ctx=date&type=image

leftymo
10-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Not sure if I put the rankings up after the NE game, but here it is...

21st in overall defense
23rd against the run
19th against the pass
22nd in points against

BELOW AVERAGE DEFENSE.

jsand3030
10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Im tired of excuses, this defense got too many last season. I dont car how long they were on the field last year, we saw the same thing- long drives down field for the opposing team and not stopping anyone on 3rd down. But hey, we didnt give up the "big play"! They are a blow average defense. They also have never gotten pressure on the opposing QB. Its time for this clown of a head coach who claims to be a good Defensive coach, but hasnt built anything but mediocrity, to get outta town and takes his buddies with him.

leftymo
10-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Mike Nolan has coached the niners against the eagles three times...

Philly is AVERAGING 40 points/game in those three contests! AVERAGING!!!

Defense my ars.