PDA

View Full Version : Ridnour's Thoughts On the Trade

Brew Crew
08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Luke Ridnour never had to make the move to Oklahoma.

The point guard’s agent, Lon Babby, called Ridnour at his suburban Seattle home and told him he might be traded.

“What team?” Ridnour wondered.

“Milwaukee,” his agent said.

“Perfect,” was Ridnour’s response.

The 27-year-old was seeking a fresh start after five seasons with the former Seattle SuperSonics franchise, which has moved to Oklahoma City for the 2008-’09 season. And the Milwaukee Bucks obliged by obtaining him in a six-player, three-team deal with Cleveland and Oklahoma City, with guard Mo Williams going to the Cavaliers and forward Desmond Mason heading to Oklahoma.

“Ever since I heard the news, I can’t tell you how excited I’ve been,” Ridnour said Friday as he was introduced at a Bradley Center news conference, flanked by coach Scott Skiles and general manager John Hammond.

“It’s a good system for me to play in, to play for a coach that was a point guard himself. I enjoyed it under Nate McMillan, and I’m going to enjoy it under Coach Skiles. It’s just his competitiveness and toughness; I’ll try to bring that to the court.”

Skiles said there were no secrets about what the 6-foot-2 Ridnour could bring to the Bucks.

“One way or another, we are going to be a much better defensive team,” Skiles said. “Right behind that, we want to be a good rebounding team, and we want to push the ball, in that order.

“That’s two out of three there, not that Luke can’t scrap around for some rebounds. The first person who receives that outlet pass, the decision they make right there is critical. He’s always been a very good decision-maker.

“We want to push that ball; we want to look at early offense. Then if we don’t get anything, settle into our offense.”

Ridnour learned valuable lessons under McMillan in the guard’s first two pro seasons, before McMillan moved on to become coach of the Portland Trail Blazers. The former Oregon guard was the SuperSonics’ starter at the point for three seasons (from 2004-’07) before a thigh injury troubled him for most of the first two months last season.

By the time Ridnour returned, Earl Watson already was entrenched as Seattle’s starting point guard. Ridnour appeared in 61 games and made five starts last season.

“Anytime you get injured, it’s never fun,” Ridnour said. “When you do get back, roles are kind of defined, and it makes it tough to really fit in again. I learned a lot from that season, but I’m ready to move on.”

Oklahoma drafted UCLA’s Russell Westbrook with the fourth overall pick in the June draft, and it still had Watson on the roster, so Ridnour was available in a deal.

New Bucks director of scouting Billy McKinney is a former executive with the SuperSonics and thinks Ridnour will prove to be a huge asset.

“The connection (the SuperSonics had) with Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen and Luke comes over here, with Michael Redd and Richard Jefferson,” McKinney said. “Andrew Bogut is going to get more touches inside, and that’s great for team chemistry.

“The other part of it is, Scott is going to know he has an extension of himself out on the floor. He’s going to have a guy who knows the offensive sets and knows who to get the ball to at the right time.”

Hammond said having a player who wants to prove himself was always positive, and he cited the improvement made by Chauncey Billups when he came to the Detroit Pistons.

The general manager said he was satisfied with his point guard trio of Ridnour, Tyronn Lue and second-year player Ramon Sessions.

“I think we have a good combination to make ourselves very good at the point guard position,” Hammond said. “You’ve got Luke, who is in the prime of his career at 27 years old. You’ve got the veteran backup in Ty Lue, who has been in almost every situation possible. He’s always been a great teammate, and he’s going to be supportive of Luke and Ramon.

“And with Ramon we have a good young piece who has value in this league and a piece we want to keep here long term.”

Jsonline-

This is exactly what we wanted to hear.

_Sn1P3r_
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Good things to hear if you're a Bucks fan.

Brooke
08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Now I like hearing stuff like this :)

salsa
08-17-2008, 10:11 PM
im so excited for thsi season

BaRRySandAmaN
08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
He is going to be a nice fit in that PG spot, where I have said they Needed a Pass first PG for the past 2 years. Finally they have Obtained a guy that will use Jefferson's high Flying to get the crowd going. Ridnour just needed a change of scenary. I think he will have a great year with the Bucks this year

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-17-2008, 11:04 PM
im guessing about 12.5 ppg with about 8.3 apg

salsa
08-17-2008, 11:47 PM
thats seriosly exactly what i was thinking. and thats like perfect and fine with me.

RJ24_bucks
08-18-2008, 12:15 AM
woah~ 12.5 ppg and 8.3 apg? lol isnt that a lil overrating? I was thinkin at most 11 ppg and like 7.5 apg either way, its some high apg were looking at... but idk.. I dont wanna assume anything, just cant wait for the season to start!

MoJay
08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
same here can't wait for the season also anxious to see what they will do with C-Vill I like him alot but wanna see what they do with him

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-18-2008, 03:08 PM
woah~ 12.5 ppg and 8.3 apg? lol isnt that a lil overrating? I was thinkin at most 11 ppg and like 7.5 apg either way, its some high apg were looking at... but idk.. I dont wanna assume anything, just cant wait for the season to start!

he's alot better of a shoter than given credit for and i say the 8 apg becasue redd rj and bogut i mean idk i think its going to be hard for every defense in the leauge to gaurd this team u cant double rj redd or bogut because there are so many more weapons than jus them now maybe i was over but idk im jus excited

ROY 2 MVP Braun
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
and players do wanna play for milwaukee
IN UR FACE AGENT QUERO

PhxGiant
08-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Looks like you guys are back in the playoffs IMO.

wissportsfan
08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
he's alot better of a shoter than given credit for and i say the 8 apg becasue redd rj and bogut i mean idk i think its going to be hard for every defense in the leauge to gaurd this team u cant double rj redd or bogut because there are so many more weapons than jus them now maybe i was over but idk im jus excited

This is very true. If your looking for a comparision to what Ridnour might bring to this team you almost have to look at his 05-07 stats because thats when he had Rashard and Allen. I would consider that very comparable to Redd and Jefferson. Ridnour now has a big man to pass to in Bogut so that can only help.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Hopefully Ridnour fits well for you guys, he seems like a classy guy. Not that Mo wasn't, but those are the kind of players you want.

chabodave22
08-20-2008, 02:38 AM

I like the addition of Ridnour, but i dont think he will put up that good of numbers. Im thinking around 10 ppg and around 6 assists. The only reason i say that is because we have sessions. Ramon will be the starter at some point, and that will take away from Ridnour. I do think he is a good addition though, but you can't keep a guy with the potential of sessions on the bench. They made this move to free up cap, and get a guy that can that can lead the way for Ramon. I do like the fact that Luke wants to be here and he will be a good addition to our team. I can't wait for the season to start.