PDA

View Full Version : Delonte West Updates

IndiansFan337
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Cavaliers restricted free agent Delonte West is not budging in his contract demands -- the Cavs have offered him $4 million a season, but West feels he is worth at least $5 million.
"The financial situation remains the same, and so does our position," said agent Aaron Goodwin. "Either offer Delonte a more favorable contract or he may opt to just sign his qualifying offer." If the Cavs wouldn't increase their offer before trading for Mo Williams, it's difficult to see why they would now. West might still be packaged in a sign-and-trade, but if he is re-signed his role will likely be backing up both guard positions.
Rotoworld.com

infamous
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Just sign him for 5 mil or S&T him, and get it over.

monster_mash
08-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Keep the offer at 4 mil and make him take the 1 yr tender. If a deal came to you that you can't pass up then s&t him.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't mind having him for one more year, he could have value on the trade market come deadline time too.

Sbank
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't get why he just doesn't sign one year 4 million dollars deal. It one less million but he could make more next year on the free agent market. If he can't feed his family with 4 million then that his problem.

infamous
08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't get why he just doesn't sign one year 4 million dollars deal. It one less million but he could make more next year on the free agent market. If he can't feed his family with 4 million then that his problem.
I think It's all about his pride now. You are right he should take the 4 mil 1 year offer.

Cavs_Fan24
08-17-2008, 02:45 PM
i really dont get why he wouldn't sign right now. It's not like teams are lining up to try and sign him right now anyways.

I say we wait this out til we can get a possible S&T deal going with another team or 2 to try and get the most value we can for him.

Sbank
08-17-2008, 03:33 PM
i really dont get why he wouldn't sign right now. It's not like teams are lining up to try and sign him right now anyways.

I say we wait this out til we can get a possible S&T deal going with another team or 2 to try and get the most value we can for him.

I think getting to sign a one deal would be better then working out a sign and trade right now. If we get him signed to one year deal then we could trade him at the deadline to get a real need for our team.

IndiansFan337
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
He can't be S&T'ed without his consent. He would have to sign the agreement to be traded.

I think It's all about his pride now. You are right he should take the 4 mil 1 year offer.
The one year tender is not for $4 million. That is how much a multi-year contract could be worth. I believe that the one year tender is for below $2.5 million, actually. This should be a no-brainer for West.

Cavs_Fan24
08-18-2008, 09:26 AM
He isnt gonna get much more then were offering him from any other team in the NBA.

If he's sooo desperate for money he should just go to Europe! :laugh:

Buckwheat
08-18-2008, 06:17 PM
This is really getting old.. Just sign!

EdTheRevelator
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
He sucks.

Cavs_Fan24
08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
he's not worth the money he wants, thats for sure.

batman8040
08-19-2008, 10:17 AM
West thinks he is worth more than he is.

Bwangster12
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Delonte West is a pretty good PG and with the lack of good PGs in the league, he may be worth 5 mil a year. He is extremely well rounded as a PG and can play SG in a pinch.

I mean I think Steve Blake is making 4 mil a year, Raymond Felton is making a lil over 3, Chucky Atkins is at about 3 mil a year...

Outside of MAYBE Felton, West is better than those guys.

Cavs_Fan24
08-19-2008, 06:42 PM
i still dont think many teams are willing to pay him $5 M

Sbank
08-19-2008, 09:26 PM
i still dont think many teams are willing to pay him $5 M

I doubt it too since no team really interested in signing him. I think we might see another hold out like we had last season with AV.

Reezy
08-20-2008, 12:03 AM
If Orlando had $5 million to offer, I'd give it to him.

Cavs_Fan24
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
The only team with the cap space to sign him, that's in need of a PG that i can think of, is Portland.

But i doubt that they want him.

IndiansFan337
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
The only team with the cap space to sign him, that's in need of a PG that i can think of, is Portland.

But i doubt that they want him.

I don't think he's any better than Steve Blake is right now, so they won't touch him. And they don't want to give role players bad long term contracts, hence them letting James Jones walk to Miami for that absurd 5 year contract from Pat Riley.

pdrudder
08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
The problem with west signing the one year qualifying offer from the cavs is simply that he will not be starting. That limits his ability to increase his market value as a free agent next year. With Mo and boobie around he would not get alot of playing time with the cavs. That puts him in a hard spot.I live in akron and am from ny, so I am a big fan of both the cavs and the knicks. I think west is a more than adequate pg. His energy and quickness are very desirable. I think a sign and trade is his best option and his agent is undoubtedly working on that scenario. I don't think the Knicks would make a deal involving him though without shedding a contract, so there is little hope for a dual fan like myself seeing that happen. I would bet west is not on the cavs roster come opening game though

Sbank
08-22-2008, 07:27 PM
The problem with west signing the one year qualifying offer from the cavs is simply that he will not be starting. That limits his ability to increase his market value as a free agent next year. With Mo and boobie around he would not get alot of playing time with the cavs. That puts him in a hard spot.I live in akron and am from ny, so I am a big fan of both the cavs and the knicks. I think west is a more than adequate pg. His energy and quickness are very desirable. I think a sign and trade is his best option and his agent is undoubtedly working on that scenario. I don't think the Knicks would make a deal involving him though without shedding a contract, so there is little hope for a dual fan like myself seeing that happen. I would bet west is not on the cavs roster come opening game though

I think West will be on the Cavaliers roster opening day if not he probable will hold out and we have the same situation we had with AV last year. I think he be back up point guard/shooting guard. I would bet the Cavaliers probable trade him sometime during the season.

Cavs_Fan24
08-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I think we just work out a S&T trade now and try and get a big man. Im sure there are teams that need a PG and have a big man that we could get in exchange.

ex.

Miami - Udonis Haslem (long shot)
Golden State - Al Harrington (also a long shot, but who knows)
New Jersey - Stromile Swift

So we do have options.
I think it'd be best to trade him now unless Ferry's planning on S&T him in the future near the deadline or mid-season to try and get a star player.

trout1627
08-22-2008, 08:14 PM

THat is a very astute observation. West wants a sign and trade. He will hurt his long term value as a backup to a young point guard like Mo. I can't think of any team looking for a starting point guard right now except maybe Miami, but even they are high on thier rookie draft pick. West would be wise ton go to someone like the Kinicks where he would back up Duhon who is pretty much an equal, so he could eventually beat him. But why would the Knicks want West?

EdTheRevelator
08-22-2008, 08:33 PM
But why would the Knicks want West?

Better question: why would anybody want him? He's not that good. I'm glad the Cavs decided to find a better option at the point.

IndiansFan337
08-23-2008, 02:17 AM
THat is a very astute observation. West wants a sign and trade. He will hurt his long term value as a backup to a young point guard like Mo. I can't think of any team looking for a starting point guard right now except maybe Miami, but even they are high on thier rookie draft pick. West would be wise ton go to someone like the Kinicks where he would back up Duhon who is pretty much an equal, so he could eventually beat him. But why would the Knicks want West?
We wouldn't agree to a S&T unless they'd part with a 1st rounder because we won't touch any of their players & those nasty contracts.

Better question: why would anybody want him? He's not that good. I'm glad the Cavs decided to find a better option at the point.
Teams surely want West. But not at his asking price or as a starter. And that's what the problem is. He thinks he is better than he really is. If he would have taken the Cavs offer for 5 years $20-22 million earlier this season then he would probably be our starting PG heading into this season, with the Mo Williams trade never being completed.

Cavs_Fan24
08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Teams surely want West. But not at his asking price or as a starter. And that's what the problem is. He thinks he is better than he really is. If he would have taken the Cavs offer for 5 years $20-22 million earlier this season then he would probably be our starting PG heading into this season, with the Mo Williams trade never being completed.

thank god he didnt, cuz now we got a a PG 3x better then he is.

IndiansFan337
08-25-2008, 11:23 AM
thank god he didnt, cuz now we got a a PG 3x better then he is.

I wouldn't go that far.

Don't be mislead by previous season's statistics with a different team, in a different offense, and in a different role than he will have on our squad.

Cavs_Fan24
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
yeh, sorry about the over-exagerratation. This whole Delonte holdout thing is getting kinda frustrating.

IndiansFan337
09-05-2008, 07:20 AM
West update

Agent Aaron Goodwin and Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry both said this week that the stalemate continues in contract talks with restricted free agent guard Delonte West. The sides are expected to meet sometime this week.

The Cavs are believed to be offering West about $4 million per season, similar to the deal Daniel Gibson signed earlier this summer. West is believed to be looking for something starting closer to $5.5 million.

West has the option of taking a one-year qualifying offer of $2.76 million by Sept. 30.
Ohio.com link (http://www.ohio.com/sports/27845514.html)

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Ohio.com link (http://www.ohio.com/sports/27845514.html)

Wow! Wake up Aaron Goodwin! You are only hurting your for years to come.

This holdout will prevent West to shine on any team he goes to, in my opinion.

I don't see him getting major minutes until late in the season. This will surely hurt his value for the next contract year. Especially if he is on a 1 year deal.

IndiansFan337
09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't see him getting major minutes until late in the season. This will surely hurt his value for the next contract year. Especially if he is on a 1 year deal.

He can't afford to take a 1 year contract now from the Cavs. That'd be foolish. He won't play enough to increase his value. If he planned to take it he should have before they looked into acquiring Mo Williams.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
He can't afford to take a 1 year contract now from the Cavs. That'd be foolish. He won't play enough to increase his value. If he planned to take it he should have before they looked into acquiring Mo Williams.

Yeah, but some team other then the Cavaliers may only want to give him a one year deal.

Sbank
09-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Well West is in a lose lose situation. One hand he could take a one year deal and pry he plays a lot, shows other teams he worth a more then a one year deal, and is worth the money. In the other hand if he signs the deal similar to Gibson then we have a hard time on upgrading our team. West probable be starting at sg if he signs a deal similar to Gibson. If he just signed the deal earlier in the off season he could be starting point guard.

IndiansFan337
09-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but some team other then the Cavaliers may only want to give him a one year deal.
We would then match.

Well West is in a lose lose situation. One hand he could take a one year deal and pry he plays a lot, shows other teams he worth a more then a one year deal, and is worth the money. In the other hand if he signs the deal similar to Gibson then we have a hard time on upgrading our team. West probable be starting at sg if he signs a deal similar to Gibson. If he just signed the deal earlier in the off season he could be starting point guard.
He's not going to start the season as our starting SG. He's waited too long. He's going to have to get back on the team & then hope for Wally/Pavlovic to struggle or get injured to get his PT back. That's exactly what happened to Pavlovic last year & he never was able to reclaim his starting position.

Sbank
09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
We would then match.

He's not going to start the season as our starting SG. He's waited too long. He's going to have to get back on the team & then hope for Wally/Pavlovic to struggle or get injured to get his PT back. That's exactly what happened to Pavlovic last year & he never was able to reclaim his starting position.

I know that West not going to be our starting SG. Pavlovic didn't play his best and prove he was worth starting when he came off the bench to play after he signed after the hold out. Pavlovic basically had his worst season ever in his NBA Career last year because of the hold out. If West doesn't hold out and he signs now he might have a shoot at starting guard but it probable won't happen though. West probable be a back up now this situation now. I wouldn't expect him to start for us any time during the season unless Mo gets injured.

$ NyC $
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
even if he doesn't start he is versatile enough 2 get solid playing time at the 2 guard positions...he's 6'4 and has a well rounded game...besides LeBron, West was the only person scoring vs. the Celtics

Sbank
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
even if he doesn't start he is versatile enough 2 get solid playing time at the 2 guard positions...he's 6'4 and has a well rounded game...besides LeBron, West was the only person scoring vs. the Celtics

Do you want to count Gibson before he got hurt and Z before they stopped going to him?
Yeah West and LeBron were the main scores but some people did get step up at times during the series.

IndiansFan337
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM

That was one series. Wally had 1 or 2 huge games during that series too. So let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Cavs_Fan24
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
it doesnt matter now cuz we dont need Delonte and he's obviously gonna go to Europe and sign some $5million 1-year deal or w.e, and come back to the NBA next year.

at least that's what i think. either that or we keep his rights and trade him later on.

BostonCs
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I would love to see him back in Boston as a backup, although I know that isn't gonna happen. He's a scrapper. He can pass and he can shoot when needed.

Sbank
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM
it doesnt matter now cuz we dont need Delonte and he's obviously gonna go to Europe and sign some $5million 1-year deal or w.e, and come back to the NBA next year.

at least that's what i think. either that or we keep his rights and trade him later on.
I doubt he goes to Europe league. I think it more likely he hold out like AV did last year. Some team will offer him a one year deal on the sheet and we match the offer for him.

I would love to see him back in Boston as a backup, although I know that isn't gonna happen. He's a scrapper. He can pass and he can shoot when needed.

I highly doubt he goes be back in Boston unless we get a first round pick for him which isn't going to happen. Only way he be back a Celtic if he signs there or gets traded there when he done gone off our team.

jdavis26
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
west is a fool like sasha and parmejian

Sbank
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
west is a fool like sasha and parmejian

you could make that argument but he much better player then both sasha and parmejian.