PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take before Portland is a legit championship contender?

JordansBulls
08-17-2008, 09:11 AM
How long will it take before Portland is a legit championship contender?

Could they surprise everyone this year and be in the mix as a title contender if Oden is a 20 and 10 player?

Tblaze
08-17-2008, 09:16 AM
No, this year portland will be fighting for a 6-8 seed with Phoenix, Denver, Clips, Mavs. I do think they will make the playoffs, it won't be a high seed though.

JordansBulls
08-17-2008, 09:22 AM
No one expected the Hornets last year to be that good, I'm wondering if Portland will be that team this year.

Z-ray21
08-17-2008, 09:31 AM
No one expected the Hornets last year to be that good, I'm wondering if Portland will be that team this year.

i tottally agree with you . the hornets had chris paul stepping up so did david west and chandler and peja. So if roy , oden, aldridge and the other players do the same i say they got 8th or 7th spot in the west but not contending for a championship yet

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I think starting in 3 years they will have a good chances at looking at titles if they all develop as we all think they will. Plus everyone has to stay healthy and on the same roster.

Mr. 3 Stacks
08-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Legit title contender, i would say 1-2 years, there is always that year where you just see a team click kinda like new orleans last years. Its hard to say if its this year because they are working in oden to the lineup, they can still make playoffs, i expect full blazer potential to be reached very soon, jusst dont let those egos get too big, remember its all about the money.....

Hellcrooner
08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Whenever they decide what young stars they keep and which ones they trade for a legit and Prime Allstar to lead the Team.

lavis
08-17-2008, 01:47 PM
100 years.

MiamiHeat
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
when kobe gets old :D
and Spurs slow down

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
they will make the playoffs but wont compete for a championship in about 2-3 years

Catfish1314
08-17-2008, 02:25 PM
and Spurs slow down

The Spurs have already slowed down.

It will hinge on Oden's progress. He's got the NBA body right now but in college he was really raw offensively. He got the majority of his points from offensive rebounds and then just taking it up strong, bruting his way through everyone to dunk it. With his size and body type, I think he can do that in this league eventually but not this year.

Roy's a budding superstar, Aldridge will be damn good (like Sheed). Bayless has star potential too so if Oden can be a 10-8 guy this year, Portland will be in the playoffs. Personally, I think they could be contenders as early as next season.

bball1217
08-17-2008, 02:40 PM
If Oden puts up 20/10/2 or 3 then yes this lineup would go deep in the playoffs, but I do not see them going deeper than the Western Conference Finals due to experience.

However I think Oden puts up around 15/8/3 in his rookie season, which would still be great but not good enough to get past the second round, maybe not even the first round due to experience again.

It also depends on the play of Bayless, Fernandez and maybe Batum, the rookies who would have to have great rookie seasons for the Blazers to go far.

But this lineup in about 2 or 3 years will be dangerous for a long time if they stay together.

Bayless/Fernandez/Rodriguez
Roy/Batum/Blake
Outlaw/Webster
Aldridge/Diogu
Oden/Frye

All those guys are under 25 except Blake.

Not this year, but they should be contenders for many years in about 2 or 3 years.

_Sn1P3r_
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
2-3 years. Once they get playoff experience maybe this year and next year, they'll be more mature during the playoffs, know what they are facing, and become contenders.

still1ballin
08-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd say in about 2 years they will be in serious contenders for the ship...after all the players develop and gel together. Scary team.

JordansBulls
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
and Spurs slow down

What about the Rockets and Hornets?

superkegger
08-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I think they won't be legit title contenders for at least another 3 years. And I'll tell you why.

First everything points to their inexperience, which they should. How many guys on that roster have played in a playoff game?

If they make the playoffs this year, which they could, they're likely to get bounced in the first round. You can point to NOH as much as you want for the example of inexerpience not meaning anything, but as much as I like Roy, CP3 is on another level. Plus Chandler, West, Peja and Mo Pete aren't inexperienced guys, where LA, Oden, Bayless etc...have no experience. Not just no playoff experience, but a few of the key pieces of the future of the Blazers have yet to take the floor for a single NBA game. When your starting pg and C have never played an nba game, chances are you won't be title contenders just yet.

So lets say what I've said comes true, they make the playoffs and get bounced. They'll obviously be a good team then, play well together and so on. I still don't think after this year if they make the playoffs though they'll be in the title mix.

I don't think there's really any kind of example to look to before that had so much young talent all at once, but i just can't see them playing 2-3 years together so young all around and then being title contenders. There are probably not any teams that got bounced in the first round one year that then went on to be champions the next year since the playoffs were expanded to 8 teams in each conference.

So imo, after these next two years, when all their young talent gets better, gets adjusted to the NBA, they really gell as a team with their entire starting 5 and bench solidified will the be true title contenders. But I do fully expect in 2010-2011 for them to be in the mix of who's going to be going deep in the playoffs.

BRADfromOZ
08-17-2008, 08:15 PM
3 or 4 seasons till they make the Western Confrence Finals. This year they'll playing in the Playoffs.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-17-2008, 08:22 PM
They May never contend, they have too much talent at each position and egos can become a burden sooner than later ( wich would not be new to them, since that happened in the first years of this century) and add that soon they will have to resign their players and some of them wont accept having a smaller role than they think they deserve.

It kinds of remind me of the Bulls some years ago, they where so promising and in the span of two three years they were destroyed.

JordansBulls
08-17-2008, 11:26 PM
It kinds of remind me of the Bulls some years ago, they where so promising and in the span of two three years they were destroyed.

Well that is completely different. Portland already has a player in Roy who is better than any of our players. They also have a 18/8 guy in Aldridge and now they have Oden who is a franchise center. The Bulls have been getting overrated for a while now.

GregOden#1
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
They May never contend, they have too much talent at each position and egos can become a burden sooner than later ( wich would not be new to them, since that happened in the first years of this century) and add that soon they will have to resign their players and some of them wont accept having a smaller role than they think they deserve.

Portland's drafted/traded all their guys based on their personality, they dont want a repeat of the Blazers saga. The only exception is Bayless because nobody expected him to end up on the Blazers but Bayless could end up being a very very good firestarter for the team.

$ NyC $
08-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll give them about 2 more years (not next season the season after)...ROY is already an all-star and by then Aldridge should have his game polished and will be a solid player...and then Oden...

plus when they went on their winning streak you could tell this young team has great chemistry together..

They're going 2 b great...plus they added Bayless..they're LOADED with great young talent

Nugget Tony
08-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Anything can happen.....if everything goes the way they plan then I would say in 2 to 5 years.....and they could be owning....

NYMetros
08-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I'll say after this season, then they will be legitimate contenders. They may even challenge for a playoff push this season.

BigEric
08-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Well the team has got a good chance to make it to the playoffs, and contend but nothing is ever promised. They could be full of busts or injury plagued players, not saying that they are but im not saying that they aren't. I like their chances in about 2 years.

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Well the team has got a good chance to make it to the playoffs, and contend but nothing is ever promised. They could be full of busts or injury plagued players, not saying that they are but im not saying that they aren't. I like their chances in about 2 years.

The injury bug could happen to any team.

Oefarmy2005
08-18-2008, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=superkegger;6321025] There are probably not any teams that got bounced in the first round one year that then went on to be champions the next year since the playoffs were expanded to 8 teams in each conference. QUOTE]

I was thinking the Celtics who went from being a 20 win team to champions, but othewise I agree.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 03:00 AM
The Blazers will probably take 4-5 years to become legitimate championship contenders. Their team is very young and centers take a while to develop especially after microfracture surgery. Greg Oden probably won't be putting up spectacular stats for another 3 years and then the team really needs to come into its own as far as experience and time playing together. Only then will they become championship contenders.

Jay22Redd
08-18-2008, 03:06 AM
Well right now they WILL be fighting for the 7th, 8th and maybe even 6th seed in the playoffs but it'll be about 2 to 3 years before they can be championship contenders.

bigmac8675
08-18-2008, 03:19 AM
I would also say 2-3 years. I think they will be in the playoffs as early as this year, but with their young team they won't really be a title contender for another 2-3 years.

Chronz
08-18-2008, 05:38 AM
Yea but Oden wont be a 20 10 guy his first year