PDA

View Full Version : NBA teams forbidden to contact Iranian center

AirJordanXVIII
08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
NBA teams seek clearance to sign Iranian

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports Aug 16, 12:26 pm

EDT BEIJING – As interest has grown in the NBA over signing 7-foot-2 Iranian Olympian Hamed Ehadadi, the league office has sent a letter to its 30 teams instructing that they are forbidden to even discuss a contract with Ehadadi, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

In the letter, which was sent Friday, NBA legal counsel wrote: “It has come to our attention that representatives of Hamed Ehadadi, an Iranian basketball player, may be contacting NBA teams to discuss the possibility of signing Mr. Ehadadi to an NBA player contract.

“We have been advised that a federal statue prohibits a person or organization in the United States from engaging in business dealings with Iranian nationals.”

The NBA is applying to the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control for a license that, “if granted,” the league said, would allow teams to negotiate with the 23-year-old Ehadadi. Until then, no franchise is allowed to do so.

Commissioner David Stern invited the Iranian national team to compete in July’s NBA summer league in Utah, allowing the team a pre-Olympics tune-up. When NBA teams started to show an interest in signing Ehadadi, Stern had league counsel begin the process of clearing a path through this complicated circumstance with the U.S. State Department.

After his most impressive game of these Olympics – 21 points and 16 rebounds in a 97-82 loss to Argentina on Saturday – Ehadadi, a center, said through an assistant coach, Mehran Hatami, “It is my dream to play in the NBA.”

When asked if he had been in contact with NBA teams, Ehadadi said, “two or three,” including the Memphis Grizzlies.

“It’s our pleasure for one player from Iran to one day play in the NBA,” Hatami said. “I am sure he will play there this season because he has played great (at the Olympics). He is a talented player. He is OK for beginning in the NBA. After practicing a few years, you will see that he will be one of the great players.”

League executives don’t exactly share Iran’s grand vision for Ehadadi. He’s considered a project – “Pretty limited,” one league executive said Saturday – but there has been intrigue with his developing offensive game and an ability to block shots. In Iran’s four losses in Pool B thus far, Ehadadi has averaged 16.5 points, 10 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

“He’s huge,” one NBA scouting director said. “You have to give him that.”

After going unselected in the 2004 NBA draft, Ehadadi became a free agent eligible to sign with any team. He has played with several clubs in the Iranian professional league, including Peyakan and Sanam. Ehadadi gathered some favorable reviews among several NBA scouts for his play with Iran in the summer league.

“The Iranian basketball federation supports him to play in the best situation for his basketball career,” Hatami said. “We would like for him to go to a place where he will play, not sit on the bench. That’s very important for our basketball – and also for him.”

If that’s the case, Iranian officials are likely to be disappointed if Ehadadi ever does get to the NBA. For now, politics make him wait to get that opportunity.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news;_ylt=AtpTdIatumTfo.qZSNZag5C8vLYF?slug=aw-nbairan081608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That's just how poor our relationship with the middle east is...

marlinsfan24
08-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Thats horrible and really unfair to this kid man. I hope they find a way for him to get into the league.

lavis
08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
That's sad.. But how hypocritical would it be to take one man from the nation US generally seems to hate for the benefit of a US team and league?

marlinsfan24
08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
That's sad.. But how hypocritical would it be to take one man from the nation US generally seems to hate for the benefit of a US team and league?

True, but isn't it hypocritical to also have Korean players in the MLB, another country we haven't gotten along with/

mosdef17
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I saw this guy play in Melbourne, Australia about a month back and I was sitting court side for it (Aus vs, Iran) and the guy can play. It has him and their point guard who carried them. 9 times out of 10 though the offense was run through Ehadidi

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
08-17-2008, 09:31 AM
True, but isn't it hypocritical to also have Korean players in the MLB, another country we haven't gotten along with/

im pretty sure they arent from north korea (because for the most part you arent allowed in or out of there) otherwise, the US gets along awesomely with SK since we liberated and built it. for the most part, its USA junior over here... soju!! asaaa!

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
08-17-2008, 09:35 AM
you shoulda' mentioned the butt-load of CUBAN (commies) there are in the mlb.. including alexi (cuban missile) ramirez who is complete awesomeness.... plus we dont get along with venezuela too graciously... but they got some kick *** in-fielders... but I digress to the mlb

MiamiHeat
08-17-2008, 10:37 AM
is he any good?

Yogi
08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
is he any good?

If teams are interested in him, I think he must be at least decent.

grega1976
08-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I say tough ****!! I don't want the guy here anyway. Iranian = Anti-American.. It's not just a few of them.. It's ALL OF THEM. The Iranian government has trained over 40,000 suicide bombers to target Americans and Brits.. The NBA "reaching out" to Iran is rediculous.. Irans foreign policy is to destroy Isreal and the US.. Oh and before everyone tells me how closed minded and wrong I am, I work in the intelligence field so I know a little about this.. **** this guy

grega1976
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
you shoulda' mentioned the butt-load of CUBAN (commies) there are in the mlb.. including alexi (cuban missile) ramirez who is complete awesomeness.... plus we dont get along with venezuela too graciously... but they got some kick *** in-fielders... but I digress to the mlb

the cubans that play in the US defect, leaving their family back in Cuba open to attack from their government.. they are given political assylum.. the average Venezuelan doesn't share the same views as Chavez about America (yet) they don't have the stated goal of eliminating America... I do however with MLB teams would spend less money and time developing Venezuelan and Dominican players and more time and money developing our inner city youth.. But that is another topic..

bw2893
08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
"I say tough ****!! I don't want the guy here anyway. Iranian = Anti-American.. It's not just a few of them.. It's ALL OF THEM. The Iranian government has trained over 40,000 suicide bombers to target Americans and Brits.. The NBA "reaching out" to Iran is rediculous.. Irans foreign policy is to destroy Isreal and the US.. Oh and before everyone tells me how closed minded and wrong I am, I work in the intelligence field so I know a little about this.. **** this guy"

I agree that the NBA should keep out of this and find something else to do. I also agree that there are MANY Iranians that hate the US and want us all dead. But ALL OF THEM? Are you serious. Well sorry bud, I know an Iranian national that has lived here for many years and he will not go visit Iran or even like talking about it becuase of how disgusted he is with what his country has become under their regime. So, your arguement is shot. But I still agree with the direction your going, I can't help but laugh though when you say you're not closed minded becuase you're in the intelligence sector. Well, you might want to update you're intelligence info., becuase the Iranian I know is ONE Iranian that doesn't hate us.

But again, the NBA needs to shut its mouth and just play ball, not politics.

theuuord
08-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I say tough ****!! I don't want the guy here anyway. Iranian = Anti-American.. It's not just a few of them.. It's ALL OF THEM. The Iranian government has trained over 40,000 suicide bombers to target Americans and Brits.. The NBA "reaching out" to Iran is rediculous.. Irans foreign policy is to destroy Isreal and the US.. Oh and before everyone tells me how closed minded and wrong I am, I work in the intelligence field so I know a little about this.. **** this guy

If you worked in the intelligence field you'd be smarter than to post about it on the internet, where your internet footprint is so easily traceable.

infamous
08-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Because they (nba counsel) think he is a spy or something LOL

grega1976
08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
If you worked in the intelligence field you'd be smarter than to post about it on the internet, where your internet footprint is so easily traceable.

why? it doesn't matter.. do you think people that work for NSA, CIA or DIA hide what they do? it would be easy to find anyone that works in the intellegence sector all you have to do is go to CIA headquarters and almost everyone coming out of the building works intelligence.. It's not some great secret to work intelligence, it's not like I'm a spy..

grega1976
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree that the NBA should keep out of this and find something else to do. I also agree that there are MANY Iranians that hate the US and want us all dead. But ALL OF THEM? Are you serious. Well sorry bud, I know an Iranian national that has lived here for many years and he will not go visit Iran or even like talking about it becuase of how disgusted he is with what his country has become under their regime. So, your arguement is shot. But I still agree with the direction your going, I can't help but laugh though when you say you're not closed minded becuase you're in the intelligence sector. Well, you might want to update you're intelligence info., becuase the Iranian I know is ONE Iranian that doesn't hate us.

But again, the NBA needs to shut its mouth and just play ball, not politics.

Ok I'll change it to MOST

Afridi786
08-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Most iranians dont give a ****, just like most americans dont give a ****. They just go about their lives and dont obsess about what people thousands of miles away r doing.

grega1976
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Most iranians dont give a ****, just like most americans dont give a ****. They just go about their lives and dont obsess about what people thousands of miles away r doing.

I hope you're not so blind that you believe that.. they hold weekly protests that are anti-american and anti-israeli. These protests are 10's of thousands strong where they burn american and isreali flags and chant to the effect that they want to kill all americans.. I hope you honestly are more aware of your world than this.. however this is completely off topic so I won't post anymore on this subject

Afridi786
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
10s of thousands isnt most of the population now is it? I hope ur not blind to believe that most iranians want to kill you.

grega1976
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
10s of thousands isnt most of the population now is it? I hope ur not blind to believe that most iranians want to kill you.

Unfortunately I am in the position of knowing what is really going on in the world because of my job. You will find out one day how badly they do want you dead.. 40,000 suicide bomber volunteers to attack US and Britain.. remember that when they do

Westbrook36
08-17-2008, 01:04 PM
is he any good?

I heard he was like Bedrins, Like lanky who has alittle bit of a Shot. :shrug:

grega1976
08-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I heard he was like Bedrins, Like lanky who has alittle bit of a Shot. :shrug:

if he is that good than he has alot of upside.. I'm sure like most international players he's fundamentaly sound, but wouldn't be a protypical C..

bogdanrom
08-17-2008, 01:14 PM

:bs:

bogdanrom
08-17-2008, 01:17 PM
^Kidding. But seriously not everyone there hates the US, and I bet he doesn't. But you do realize that the US gov't suplied a lot weapons, bomb and trained a lot of these soldiers in that area including Iran.

Reezy
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
:mad:

I cannot believe this. I was really hoping Orlando would have a shot at getting this guy. He posted 21 and 16 against Argentina. Plus, he had three blocks against Australia.

#24 Lakerland
08-17-2008, 01:56 PM
You're close minded and know nothing at all.You know nothing about the Iranian government. Saying you're in the intelligence field is just :bs: because if you where you'd actually know something. We have millions of Iranians in the US. Why haven't they attacked the US? Why aren't you dead? Why aren't they flaming Isreali or American flags? They can if they want, since it's a free country. You know nothing about Iranian history and just nothing about the country. I can go over pages and pages with you with facts and about Iranian history but I'm not going to waste my time.

If you where in the intelligence field, you would not waste your time with sport forums.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2008, 01:58 PM
MMMM how come that american bussinesmen who live in the Country of Freedom and blah blah blha can not negotiate a contract with anyone they want???????

How come they cant travel to any country they want?????

Are you sure you are so free????? I can go to Norht Korea any time i want and i can make bussiness with for example Persian Rug enterprises whenever i want.

#24 Lakerland
08-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I hope you're not so blind that you believe that.. they hold weekly protests that are anti-american and anti-israeli. These protests are 10's of thousands strong where they burn american and isreali flags and chant to the effect that they want to kill all americans.. I hope you honestly are more aware of your world than this.. however this is completely off topic so I won't post anymore on this subject
:laugh::laugh:

Gimme some of what your drinking.

#24 Lakerland
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately I am in the position of knowing what is really going on in the world because of my job. You will find out one day how badly they do want you dead.. 40,000 suicide bomber volunteers to attack US and Britain.. remember that when they do
You're in no position of knowing anything.Why are pulling **** out of your ***.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Maybe if a certain government wouldnt have them all days of the year under menace and trying to avoid that they use Nuclear ENERGY for construction and electricity , and maybe if that same government wouldnt be every day stating how bad they are and how horrible they are and how terrorist they are they would be not so angry at that Government.

Oh of course i dont think they have forgotten they used to be ruled by a Not democraticly elected Puppet backed up by that Government who used to go out smiling on the streets of teheran with his GOLD made Mercedes with Diamonds in the Wheels while half the people in the country were starving.

See that i always use the Word Govermente, because it is equally wrong to judge the Iranians for what their Fundamentalist and TERRIBLE governmet does than judgin all americans for what that Drunken Moron in the WHite house does just to keep his petrol company being profitable.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-17-2008, 02:10 PM
he can play and its not fair for him

infamous
08-17-2008, 02:16 PM
There must be a big reason behind this. Obviously the nba front office knows something that we don't know.

GspLAL
08-17-2008, 03:37 PM

A kid trying to get into the NBA is not gonna give a **** about all this crap, he doesnt have time for that. And I have family that live in Iran and they wanna gtfo of there asap so you're wrong.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Politics should be never be mixed with sports.

And all of this is weird, first because the guy is not that good, second, since when is Iran so important or such a terrible enemy for the USA.

I remember Volkov playing for the Hawks, back then in the 80s with Reagan in charge and Ronnie was 10 time more "republican" than Bush Jr, CCCP was back then a REAL trouble for Usa and yet there was no problem with the signing, so whats happening? I cant understand it.

grega1976
08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
You're close minded and know nothing at all.You know nothing about the Iranian government. Saying you're in the intelligence field is just :bs: because if you where you'd actually know something. We have millions of Iranians in the US. Why haven't they attacked the US? Why aren't you dead? Why aren't they flaming Isreali or American flags? They can if they want, since it's a free country. You know nothing about Iranian history and just nothing about the country. I can go over pages and pages with you with facts and about Iranian history but I'm not going to waste my time.

If you where in the intelligence field, you would not waste your time with sport forums.

You're right on both.. You know exactly what I do for a living, and there is no way people in the intel sector like sports...:rolleyes:

grega1976
08-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Politics should be never be mixed with sports.

And all of this is weird, first because the guy is not that good, second, since when is Iran so important or such a terrible enemy for the USA.

I remember Volkov playing for the Hawks, back then in the 80s with Reagan in charge and Ronnie was 10 time more "republican" than Bush Jr, CCCP was back then a REAL trouble for Usa and yet there was no problem with the signing, so whats happening? I cant understand it.

umm since the muslim extremist students over through the Shah of Iran and took all those hostages at the US Embassy in 1979.. The new governement was severly anti-American..

GspLAL
08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
You're right on both.. You know exactly what I do for a living, and there is no way people in the intel sector like sports...:rolleyes:

Well the sh1t youre saying is completely not true, saying that all Iranians are against US is crazy, my family AND cousins who live there hate the Iranian government and the condition theyre living in and want to come here to the US.

lakers4sho
08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
There must be a big reason behind this. Obviously the nba front office knows something that we don't know.

Oh yeah, Osama Bin Laden had a freakin' facelift and decided to play basketball :rolleyes:

stevefrancis
08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
wheres the guy that closes threads he leaves open a stupid topic like lakers sign josh powell but when losers start making politic sh1t comments on a thread thats off topic they leave it. if you guys are gonna blame an entire race and say all muslims are bad then does that mean all priest are molesters? does that mean all the people that go to a church to see a priest are molesters? go jerk off and talk about what the thread is about were just here to talk about basketball not world news.

BaRRySandAmaN
08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I find this a little bad for the Kid. I mean its not his fault that he is Iranian decent. I dont think that should matter anyways.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I didnt mean that i didnt know where did the hostility come from, what i meant is, come on its iran, they alongside all of the muslim countries of that zone + egypt werent able to invade Israel back in the day.

So why should USA care so much and Fear so much from them?

You could begin, win and end a war against them in 24 hours.

tonyd3b54
08-18-2008, 12:09 AM
ok how about we stop talking about politics and wat people on the other side of the world think of us... who the **** cares!!! if they hate us **** them... if they dont come on over ill hav a beer with ya and well watch the game together... the thing is we dont kno wats going on for sure... not all the iranians hate us not all of them like us... lets just leave it at that....

#24 Lakerland
08-18-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm Iranian, and proud of it. Am I proud of the government? no. I know what goes on in Iran much more than you do. I know what they do weekly, monthly and yearly.So stop the ********.

If you are in the intelligence field, it doesn't help your case because most of them are biased and don't know anything.

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2008, 02:36 AM

This is one of the funniest and most ignorant posts of all time. I am from Iran and know tons and tons of Iranians (many who still live there). None of them hate America and none of them have ever been trained to be suicide bombers. Actually they love America. My cousin who came to visit loved it here so much that he is going to be moving here to America (I mean he really really loved it here--he loves Julia Roberts and really wants to meet her). Everything you said about Iran wanting to destroy USA and Israel is mainly the media (Fox News) and their lies. The government over in Iran is not good (neither is many other governments), but that does not mean this individual should suffer. Many many people hate the American government and think the people in the government are bad, but they do not think that all Americans are bad. Why? Because the government does not represent all of the people. Many people disagree with the government. Just like in Iran. When the Iranian government does bad things, they do not line up like robots. They are people like Americans are people. They have their own individual opinions and do not agree with everything the government thinks or says. So, please, do not condemn a whole people and citizens because of a bad and unjust government.

Hellcrooner
08-18-2008, 03:40 AM
umm since the muslim extremist students over through the Shah of Iran and took all those hostages at the US Embassy in 1979.. The new governement was severly anti-American..

Oh yeah those dammned students, how could they turn their backs on the Sha who was a mixture of Ghandi, Dalai Lama and Mother Theresa....

chicubs377
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Well the sh1t youre saying is completely not true, saying that all Iranians are against US is crazy, my family AND cousins who live there hate the Iranian government and the condition theyre living in and want to come here to the US.

your right most iranians LOVEE the USA and are against the government..

chicubs377
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

iranian people hold anti governmental rallies all the time knowing the consequences are getting beaten and humiliated before then in public being hung...do you know how many college students rally and get hanged and die happily knowing they did it for the good of the Iranian citizens?Right now the government of Iran are ****ing the people and everyone would speak out against it if was a democratic government..IN IRAN IF YOU SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT YOU DIE!The people are helpless.Ahmedinejad is a bastard and 95% percent of the country believes that..They say lots of stuff about the horrible things the Iran government is doing but not one bit of how the people are suffering.Yea maybe 40 or 50 thousand people are for this fascist government style but in a country with a population of 70 million plus it doesn't count.

Your mind is completely brainwashed and it is a shame.

Mane
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I think that is the thing was good, then they shall get while the gettings good. Thats what i say anyways...

Iodine
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I think that is the thing was good, then they shall get while the gettings good. Thats what i say anyways...

You should write books

chicubs377
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM

:confused:

Breatnach
08-22-2008, 05:41 AM

I was really looking forward to this! :(

The problem with the freedom of speech is that you have to put up with a lot of :bs:

chicubs377
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
grega- you trying to infer that all Iranians hate Israel and the U.S is just stupid..in every country there are brainwashed people..

and by the way my mother was born and raised in iran and is now 47...she has had 2 main best friends all her life.
The first friend who is now so close to our family we refer to her as an aunt is a jew who's mother survived the holocaust and the second an israeli.

cowboys:nuggets
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
grega1976 shut the **** up u ***** just because he's a muslim he cant play in America theres alot of muslims in america and im one of them u dont see us doing nothin ***** if i know u i will beat yo *** thats for real *****

chicubs377
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey try not to get banned man^

I think there is a reason why he isn't posting in this thread anymore..he made a fool out of himself and he knows it.

Its not because he is muslim it's because he is iranian.US was just trying to do everything they could to hurt the iranian people without attacking them.

cowboys:nuggets
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
people from iran are muslims so dont get smart
me

chicubs377
08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
people from iran are muslims so dont get smart
me

your missing the point buddy.It wouldn't matter if he was muslim and not from iran.This is not about religion its all politics.It has nothing to do with being muslim or not.I'm sure the nba has its share of muslim players.. Just of the top of my head hedo turkoglu,mehmet okur,nazr mohammad..