PDA

View Full Version : Jose Calderon

amare#1
08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Is it just me or his Jose Calderon extremely talented and underrated? He may not be doing that well in the Olympics but he definitely brings his game in the NBA. Just quickly, last season in only 30 minutes per game he averaged 11.2pts, 2.9rebs, 8.3asts, 1.1stls with only 1.54 turnovers a game - making him the holder of one of the best assist to turnover ratios in the league. He also shoots great %s, especially for a guard - .519 fg%, .429 3pt% and .908 ft%. He maintained these stats last season while competing for minutes with TJ Ford for part of the season. Now that TJ has been shipped off to the Pacers and Calderon will also have Jermaine O'Neal to feed the ball to as well as Chris Bosh, the Spaniard should have an even better season. As pointed out by Mike Moreau of HoopsWorld, last season during February Jose was given 38 minutes per game and managed to produce 14.9ppg and 10.5apg. As the main point guard in Toronto next season he should hopefully receive similar minutes to this, and I personally hope he holds similar stats to what he did last season and people start to recognise his capabilities.
Just thought I'd post these stats up and see what everyone else thinks about Jose and his future...

Jay22Redd
08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I dont see anything special in his game

torontosports10
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I dont see anything special in his game

You must not watch him then cause he has potential to be a special player. That said i dont think he is under-rated no more because alot of ppl know of him now and give him credit. He should prove to be a top 3 pg in the Eastern conference this year and will battle Andre Miller to be backup pg on the East along with Billups

POZUNO
08-16-2008, 08:33 PM
The dude is a stud. Another name I think most people tend to overlook is Ramon Sessions. Both Jose and Sessions played well last season and should continue to do so.

GCOOKIE7
08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
he should get a ton more minutes than last year meaning way better stats
All star next year

tonyd3b54
08-16-2008, 08:52 PM
in only 30 mins? thats alot his mins will go up about 6 mins agame and to be honest i dont see much of an improvement teams will game plan to stop him now that they kno who he is, it think his assist may go up since oneal is in town but i think wat u saw this year is wat u get...

dont get me wrong hes a good player but ur blowing his abilities way out of proportion...my predicition is about 12-13ppg and 8-9 apg

FromDallas
08-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I would say that he's underrated. Only because he plays in Toronto though. Technically they are a huge market however they don't get near the national attention that teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Mavs, Suns, and Spurs (plus a few others). If they did Calderon would be much more highly regarded with NBA fans.

SeoulBeatz
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Calderon is a very good player with loads of potential.

He's not particularly great on the scoring end, but hes a fantastic distributor and from watching him i can tell that he will be a solid PG for years to come.

But he is now overrated by how much people are saying he's gonna be a star.

its no secret that the kids got talent anymore, but now it seems as if people on PSD think he's the second coming of steve nash.

people need to hold their horses and wait to see how he plays out.

yes he averaged a very good 13 ppg and 8+ apg in 30 minutes, but i dont see his minutes going up to anymore than 35-38.

so that should translate into one more assist and two more points.

I see him as a 15 and 9 player in the future, very solid, but he's not a game changer. he is a good core player, but no superstar by any means. He doesnt have the scoring capability of Nash, but thats not his game anyways.

but in my eyes he is now overrated because of Toronto fans blowing his game way out of proportion, like theyve never seen a point guard who averaged 8 apg before (which i dont think they have in their history, correct me if im wrong)

stevefrancis
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
yea he's a good pg scores good passer can hit the 3 if jo is healthy the raps have a good team and if that sessions guy isn't a fluke he can be good he was putting up oscar robertson numbers at the end of last year.

Storch
08-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Is it just me or his Jose Calderon extremely talented and underrated? He may not be doing that well in the Olympics but he definitely brings his game in the NBA. Just quickly, last season in only 30 minutes per game he averaged 11.2pts, 2.9rebs, 8.3asts, 1.1stls with only 1.54 turnovers a game - making him the holder of one of the best assist to turnover ratios in the league. He also shoots great %s, especially for a guard - .519 fg%, .429 3pt% and .908 ft%. He maintained these stats last season while competing for minutes with TJ Ford for part of the season. Now that TJ has been shipped off to the Pacers and Calderon will also have Jermaine O'Neal to feed the ball to as well as Chris Bosh, the Spaniard should have an even better season. As pointed out by Mike Moreau of HoopsWorld, last season during February Jose was given 38 minutes per game and managed to produce 14.9ppg and 10.5apg. As the main point guard in Toronto next season he should hopefully receive similar minutes to this, and I personally hope he holds similar stats to what he did last season and people start to recognise his capabilities.
Just thought I'd post these stats up and see what everyone else thinks about Jose and his future...

Your a calderon fan yet u contradicted urself with the first sentence. Thats why he's underrated, because he's not consistent.

Halladay
08-16-2008, 09:19 PM
in only 30 mins? thats alot his mins will go up about 6 mins agame and to be honest i dont see much of an improvement teams will game plan to stop him now that they kno who he is, it think his assist may go up since oneal is in town but i think wat u saw this year is wat u get...

dont get me wrong hes a good player but ur blowing his abilities way out of proportion...my predicition is about 12-13ppg and 8-9 apg

How so? This is based on what? Calderon was by far the most efficent PG in the NBA last season, he was number one in the league in assist to turnover ratio and he was the best PG in terms of shooting. Only 5 players in NBA history have every shot 50% FG 40% 3P% 90%FT (or better obviously) So, does that not make Calderon elite especially for a PG? He's one of the best guards in the league and got snubbed last year for an all-star selection. The guy is heading into his prime and his minutes are going to go up, tell me again how his abilities are being blown our of proportion?

bogdanrom
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
He's a very good point guard. He was underrated until Toronto fans starting saying he's the next Steve Nash, and that he is a top 5 PG in the league, and so on. He is a very good shooter and an excellent passer. But he has no defense, not even statistical defense. IMO he's eitehr the 3rd or the 4th best PG in the East, Arenas,Billups, Miller, Calderon.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Bad timing to speak about him since he had a bad game before of millions off people watching TV.

amare#1
08-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Your a calderon fan yet u contradicted urself with the first sentence. Thats why he's underrated, because he's not consistent.

He may have been been inconsistent last year, but that was mainly because of his up and down minutes with TJ Ford coming in and out. As I pointed out, when he does get solid minutes like in February he is very consistent. As for the Olympics comment... he's obviously not doing that well because Spain are giving Rubio some minutes to give him some experience. And of course I'm going to point out that he isn't having the best Olympic performance, because otherwise everyone is going to comment and complain about it.

amare#1
08-17-2008, 02:45 AM
The dude is a stud. Another name I think most people tend to overlook is Ramon Sessions. Both Jose and Sessions played well last season and should continue to do so.

Yeah so true about Sessions... he pulled out 24 assists in one of his firsts games in the league. At this rate he should be a future hall of famer!

bartlett2266
08-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Doc Rivers calls him a minny Steve Nash. Calderon at 27 is better then Nash was at that age. If Bosh and Oneil stay healthy this year Calderon will not be underatted anymore hell be a top 5 PG straight up