PDA

View Full Version : Packers 'Payoff' to Brett Favre Involved a Blog, Merchandise and Appearances

BrewCityBuck
08-16-2008, 01:48 PM
One of the major misconceptions about that rumored $20 million "payoff" the Packers made to Brett Favre was that it was simply just to keep him away from Green Bay.

Well, the did want Favre to kinda/sorta work for it.

The phrase "merchandising deal" was attached to it, but no one really new what that meant. Turns out, they wanted to turn Brett Favre from their QB to their green-and-gold goose off the field. That deal involved ha merchandise line, souvenirs and even a blog:
According to a draft of the agreement obtained by Sporting News Today and its sister publication, The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, the Packers' proposed 10-year deal for Favre included a line of clothing, merchandise and collectibles. The Packers Pro Shop would have become the exclusive distributor of autographed Favre memorabilia, and Favre would sign 300 items a year for the team's use.

Favre also would have been required to make 10 personal appearances each year -- including two private hunting or golfing trips -- and a blog would have been created for Favre on the team's Web site.

The Packers contend that they had been working on this deal since Favre originally retired and plan on offering to him again once Brett really does call it quits ... again ... for good.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/16/packers-payoff-to-brett-favre-involved-a-blog-merchandise-and/#cont

Not as much of a 'hush' deal as we thought.

dbroncos78087
08-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Well i think it sounds worse than it is, i mean i wouldnt expect them to pay him 2 million a year to do absolutely nothing. I could definitely see how he would prefer playing though.

hughest4
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Already posted in the Favre thread i think but its interesting either way. I never understood why the Packers would offer him this deal if he still wanted to play. 2 mil a year to sit on the sidelines and make appearances or 12 mil to play football??? However, i would like to see something like this happen when he retires

socalpkrbkr
08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Already posted in the Favre thread i think but its interesting either way. I never understood why the Packers would offer him this deal if he still wanted to play. 2 mil a year to sit on the sidelines and make appearances or 12 mil to play football??? However, i would like to see something like this happen when he retires

Yeah you take the 12 mill and play football.:D

servais77
08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
The Packers need Favre to be a part of the organization. Quite frankly they are pretty stale without him. As evidenced by smaller crowds at practice and Bus trips to Lambeau sales down across the state. They need to patch things up with Brett to get a portion of the fan base back.

socalpkrbkr
08-16-2008, 06:10 PM
The Packers need Favre to be a part of the organization. Quite frankly they are pretty stale without him. As evidenced by smaller crowds at practice and Bus trips to Lambeau sales down across the state. They need to patch things up with Brett to get a portion of the fan base back.

The Packers stale without Favre? Aw, no way. Different.... YES! They do need to patch things up with him I agree and I do believe at some point we will. It can't be fixed while he's still playing so we're just going to have to wait until he's done playing football. At that time I hope Brett decides to do this with the Packers. He truly is and will always be a Green Bay Packer.

bucksbeat
08-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Of course there's going to be some kind of financial deal for any team's legend to remain with the franchise.

The problem was, you knew he wasn't staying retired when you took the trip down to Mississippi to re-promote the idea, that had been on the table for him all along.

Under the circumstances it's something that came public that was less than the ideal direction of a front office.