PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio

rico
08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow. Anyone else seen this kid? Hes only 17 and holding his own against our all star USA team. He hasnt been great in the spain vs usa game, but solid for being 17!

They say when he comes to the NBA (if) he could go top 5 in the draft, perhaps #1.

Whats everyone elses take on this kid?

J-Relo
08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
He is definitely talented guy, of course it will be hard to him to play in the NBA, but i think he is TOP 3 guy in the draft...

_Sn1P3r_
08-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Very talented, good basketball IQ. I think he'll be a top 5 pick next year.

BALLER71
08-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Top3 pick IMO.
Very talented and intelligent.

jaydagreat
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
brandon jennings

Dirty Dirk41
08-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Hes was pretty damn good out there considering hes 17 and playing against the best players in the NBA on one team. He'll go top 3 in the draft and be a special player in the nba. a player that i was also excited to get to see was marc gasol. Ive heard alot of good things from some people on here but he isnt anything like his brother pau and to me hes just anoher euro bust. Maybe it was TEAM USA and its incredible defense, and in the NBA it wont be as tough. Rubio though is a nice young player

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't see the "very intelligent" that people are giving him. I mean I've only seen him play once or twice before these olympic games, but I've seen nothing great, or even noticable. I've seen him make the right pass and drive the lane when it is open. That's common from any PG in the olympics (obviously playing against C.Paul and J-Kidd will do that to you, but I'm talking about in every olympic game, not just this last one).

But when you factor age into it he's "intelligent". I'd take Brandon Jennings over him 7 out of 7 days, but that's just me.

R.Miller
08-16-2008, 12:14 PM
dont know if hes top 3, possibly top 10. still gotta see more of him

kvrnm
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
i wasnt very impressed, and how did he hold his own? they got there ***'s kicked

BTownTeamsRKing
08-16-2008, 12:18 PM
i wasnt very impressed, and how did he hold his own? they got there ***'s kicked

the next Dan Dickau. watch out NBA!

MiamiHeat
08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
He will def. be a solid PG in the future
and he started his professional career at age 14 :speechless:

Dirty Dirk41
08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
some of you are very wrong. dudes 17 years old. most 17 year old here in america are waiting for summer vacation to end to go back to school. This dudes in China trying to win gold for his country. He will def go top 3. Unless he just plays terrible from now til the draft. But i dont expect that. Rubio is a good player. Hell be better than Derrick Rose

Afridi786
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
^Easily, Rose is going to be a bust.

infamous
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I wasn't impressed by him at all with all the hype. I think he was trying to show off, he was trying to prove something. Then he got schooled by USA players. But he is just 17, he has a bright future up ahead, I don't know, I've only seen him played twice (only in the olympics), and IMO he is not yet ready for the nba. NBA has a lot tough and talented players.

Well lebron james was pretty good when he was 17. :D

Knowledge
08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't see the "very intelligent" that people are giving him. I mean I've only seen him play once or twice before these olympic games, but I've seen nothing great, or even noticable. I've seen him make the right pass and drive the lane when it is open. That's common from any PG in the olympics (obviously playing against C.Paul and J-Kidd will do that to you, but I'm talking about in every olympic game, not just this last one).

But when you factor age into it he's "intelligent". I'd take Brandon Jennings over him 7 out of 7 days, but that's just me.

I am not saying he is better than Brandon, but how many 17 year olds would actually know what pass/lane is the right one to attack against a team like the USA team. I isnt flashy or showing much, but what he does show is he can run a team of grown men against a team of grown without being to much of a liability. That is and of itself is impressive. He isnt NBA ready yet is all.

Chris Paul and Deron Williams couldnt have done that at 17.

Bg7getclutch
08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
^Easily, Rose is going to be a bust.

Get over it....The bulls picked Rose becasue they thought he was better for the team than Beasely. Give him some time. Chris paul and deron williams weren't amazing there rookie years.

BostonPothead
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
rookie year, softmore year...doesnt matter. rose will be a bust

Sports Illustrator
08-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I can definitely see the basketball IQ in him. Everytime Deron Williams or Chris Paul would try to trap him, it wouldn't work, he'd be sent to the foul line. He's going to be a natural PG who will be an NBA starter but he won't come into the league dominating right away like Chris Paul and Deron Williams did. Then again, Rubio is only 17 years old.

He didn't impress me today, but he did show some flashes of what he's made of. Its really tough to ask a 17 year old kid to dominate in a game against the best Point Guards in the world, Point Guard who he even idolizes. This is the biggest and toughest game that Rubio has ever played in his entire life. This game will serve to him as tremendous experience, he will learn from it and become a better player. Hey may not be like Chris Paul and Deron Williams in the NBA, but he can be solid.

BostonPothead
08-16-2008, 02:29 PM
i think he CAN be a dominating PG like CP3 or D-Will.. He's only 17. in 5 years he can be a top 5 pg...Will he??? who knows. but he has the skills, the tools and the IQ to be 1 of the best

Hellcrooner
08-16-2008, 02:34 PM
While most americans Pgs his age that have only competed in High School levels are sat in a cinema watching the joker ask Why so Serious, he is playing minutes against USA in the second most important National Teams Tourney in the world and he has been competing in the second best league for 3 years now.

He didn have a Disastrous game against the BEST current Pg in the best league, tell me what would have done some of those High schoolers against Paul?

As for Jennings, im eager to see if he gets ANY playing time AT ALL in Rome.

Mr. 3 Stacks
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
i have been watchin the first half, this kid is good but his decision making is off at times. Granted he is 17 but he has an open lay up and dishes it out to 3 land....im sure he is just waayy too nervous. His is playing it safe.

Afridi786
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Get over it....The bulls picked Rose becasue they thought he was better for the team than Beasely. Give him some time. Chris paul and deron williams weren't amazing there rookie years.

Chris Paul was.

m26555
08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I think he is a very overhyped prospect, to be honest with you. I know he's only 17, but I really don't see him being anything spectacular in the NBA. The Magic Johnson comparisons are absolutely ridiculous.

Also, I wouldn't exactly say he held his own against the US. He seemed a bit flustered out there at times and didn't seem very aggressive at all. Again, the kid is 17 years old, but let's remember that he is not much younger than Garnett, Kobe, LeBron, Jermaine O'Neal, and other high-schoolers were when they came into the league, and they were MUCH more NBA-ready than Rubio is.

It's gonna take quite a few years before Rubio becomes a quality player in this country.

Hellcrooner
08-16-2008, 02:56 PM
None of them played more than 15 minutes a game their first year while he is being analyzed as an starter.

m26555
08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
None of them played more than 15 minutes a game their first year while he is being analyzed as an starter.
That's not the point. They were all MUCH more ready for the every day grind of the NBA than he is.

Hellcrooner
08-16-2008, 02:58 PM
And we should consider too that when he is in nba he wont be facing Kidd, Paul and Deron on the same team he will fare with them and their RESERVEs.

and he will have plenty of game against "quality" starters as Ridnour, Watson, Duhon etc etc.

m26555
08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
By the way, Garnett and Kobe saw substantial playing time their rookie years (KG started 43 games), so I don't know what you are talking about..James I think is pretty obvious, so I won't even talk about his playing time..

Sports Illustrator
08-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I can definitely see him contending in the NBA and even at the All-Star level. I just don't see him at the same level as Magic Johnson, Deron Williams or Chris Paul though. I say this because I've seen a few of his games he's played in Spain.

I did expect him to play better today, but not that much better. This is basically a High School senior playing against the NBA superstars. I think some of you are right that he will be no Magic Johnson, but some of you are wrong in saying he is not as intelligent and has no basketball IQ.

If you guys really want to form an opinion of him, watch some of his games in Spain. You shouldn't judge him based on what you all have seen of him today against team USA.

Hawkeye15
08-16-2008, 03:16 PM
for his age, he is so far advanced over anything we have here, so don't bring Jennings or anyone else into the conversation. He would have DOMINATED our high school league last year. He is playing big minutes for a top pro team. He will be a top 5 pick and a very good NBA point. His ability to get into the passing lane was exceptional.

qwestion13
08-16-2008, 03:18 PM
None of us have seen him enough to really determine whether or not he is going to be a legit player in the league. The only thing we can base our predictions on is what a 17 year old kid has done in the OLYMPIC GAMES. And to say the least, he has impressed. If you wanted him to go out there when he came off the bench and dominate, you had too high of hopes. When he was out there, he seemed composed for the most part and not too intimidated by playing against the best players in the world.

I disagree with what m26555 says about him not being ready. The kid has been playing professional ball since the age of 14 and since then has been a high-profile figure in Spain. He has had the pressure of being a prodigy for nearly four years and has handled it all very well. Perhaps he's not as physically ready as other players were coming out of high school, but I would take his mental toughness over any one of them. And for a point guard, mental toughness is the hardest thing to acquire.

Hawkeye15
08-16-2008, 03:19 PM
By the way, Garnett and Kobe saw substantial playing time their rookie years (KG started 43 games), so I don't know what you are talking about..James I think is pretty obvious, so I won't even talk about his playing time..

Kobe didn't play much his first year. I think he only started 5-6 games his first two seasons combined. Rubio is a lot better than Kobe was at 17 I would imagine, because of the level of competition he has been subjected to at such a young age, but by no means am I saying he will be in Kobe's category, so nobody overreact to that statement, just responding to the comment

BravoKnights
08-16-2008, 03:59 PM
brandon jennings might be ton of talent, but the dude didnt qualify for university man, he mite have intellignece on the court but not being elligible for college says a lot, ricky rubio has a huge upside, hes smart, talented and like it was said before in the post hes 17 and competing for a gold medal, no pg in the nba can every say they did that

hockeypro68
08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm definitely interested to see how he continues to develop

Fayzon10
08-16-2008, 04:16 PM
If anyone can help me out I have a question about the International players, they obviously don't have to go to college for a year like our guys do but what is the procedure for them can they just come into the league at 18 if they want to?? Doesn't seem fair if they can.

MiamiHeat
08-16-2008, 04:37 PM
i think you gotta wait a year after u get out of high school
or be at least 18-19 not sure

OaklandsFinest
08-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Theres some scout who goes over and says "This Forgein kid is going to blow your mind! He's plays D, has X ray vizion, can shoot the lights out, and he's 6'6. Deffinatley the wave of the future." And every year this kid gets drafted way higher then he has any business going. Then he makes the team pay him, while he plays over seas for 2 years, comes over here and rides the pine somewhere. I'm tired of it! There were people before the draft saying "Take Darko over Lebron! I'm telling you this Darko kid is a can't miss." Or "Take Michael Olowakandi over Mike Bibby. He's 7ft tall, a beast." Yeah he may be 17 and he may be making a great first impression against a bunch of other forgein players. And maybe he gets a few points against us. But Kevin Garnett would have been doing that at 17 had he been playing in t he Olympics, same with LeBron, or Carmello. Fact is forgein basketball has made strides in the right direction, but they have ALONG way to go to catch USA in hoops.

As Point Guards in the draft go for next year.. He'll be behind Brandon Jennings for sure, and this guy you might have heard of named Ty Lawson.

Hellcrooner
08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Rubio is becoming 18 before the end of the year.

So he will be turning 19 in late 2009 so he is elligible, but i think he is going to wait until 2010 or 2011 to declare for the draft to gain even more experience, he wont risk jumping to soon and end up being benched, he wants to go being already considered a star and untouchable starter.

SwaggaIke
08-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I wasn't impressed by him. The best thing about him is his basketball i.q. He is only 17 and he looks to have a bright future. But he is undeserving of all the hype he's received at this point. He'll probably be a poor mans Nash w/ slightly better defense. But he also gambles a lot from behind.

still1ballin
08-16-2008, 07:30 PM
WOW 17 yrs old? I never knew that! That is crazy

Tom Stone
08-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I think it's a bit a early, to say he'll be top 3 hands down.....but he's talented for 17, and 6"4, so he might end up being 6"7 with crazy point gaurd skills, when he does enter the draft......Future Raptor mabey?

amare#1
08-16-2008, 07:53 PM
The kid is phenomenal... he has been called the best player in the world outside of the NBA at only 17 years of age... as well as being compared to Magic Johnson. Don't know how true that is but for a 17 year old to be labeled that, but he's got to be something special. The kid is doing well in the Olympics.. but he is much younger than everyone he's going against. He absolutely dominates anyone of his age... for example in the Fiba Europe Under16 Tournament in 2006 he led the tournament in points, rebounds, assists and steals... recorded two triple doubles and one quadruple double... and then in the final against Russia the kid had 51pts, 24rebs, 12asts and 7 steals. This tournament shows his dominance against kids of his own age who he may eventually have to compete with once he is in the NBA. I'd say he will definitely be a top 3 pick next year.

Jay22Redd
08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
He's pretty good, especially for his age. If and when he comes to the NBA, he's defenitely going to be a pretty talented player.

smearthebeard
08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!![/B] The only reason he is being hyped is because he is supposed to be the next WHITE HOPE. More like the next white hype! After watching today I saw a player who could pass but had no shot at all. He was slow, and was subject to being schooled over and over again. He is a UTUBE creation and will be slipping down the draft board.

Jay22Redd
08-16-2008, 08:25 PM
The kid is phenomenal... he has been called the best player in the world outside of the NBA at only 17 years of age... as well as being compared to Magic Johnson. Don't know how true that is but for a 17 year old to be labeled that, but he's got to be something special. The kid is doing well in the Olympics.. but he is much younger than everyone he's going against. He absolutely dominates anyone of his age... for example in the Fiba Europe Under16 Tournament in 2006 he led the tournament in points, rebounds, assists and steals... recorded two triple doubles and one quadruple double... and then in the final against Russia the kid had 51pts, 24rebs, 12asts and 7 steals. This tournament shows his dominance against kids of his own age who he may eventually have to compete with once he is in the NBA. I'd say he will definitely be a top 3 pick next year.

OMG This cant be in one game.:speechless::speechless::speechless:

m26555
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Kobe didn't play much his first year. I think he only started 5-6 games his first two seasons combined. Rubio is a lot better than Kobe was at 17 I would imagine, because of the level of competition he has been subjected to at such a young age, but by no means am I saying he will be in Kobe's category, so nobody overreact to that statement, just responding to the comment
I doubt that very much.

m26555
08-16-2008, 08:31 PM
None of us have seen him enough to really determine whether or not he is going to be a legit player in the league. The only thing we can base our predictions on is what a 17 year old kid has done in the OLYMPIC GAMES. And to say the least, he has impressed. If you wanted him to go out there when he came off the bench and dominate, you had too high of hopes. When he was out there, he seemed composed for the most part and not too intimidated by playing against the best players in the world.

I disagree with what m26555 says about him not being ready. The kid has been playing professional ball since the age of 14 and since then has been a high-profile figure in Spain. He has had the pressure of being a prodigy for nearly four years and has handled it all very well. Perhaps he's not as physically ready as other players were coming out of high school, but I would take his mental toughness over any one of them. And for a point guard, mental toughness is the hardest thing to acquire.
That statement is a little out there, don't you think? How do you know how mentally tough Garnett, Kobe, James, etc. were in high school? I WILL say, however, that judging by the way they all took the NBA by storm as teenagers, they must have been pretty damn tough...

m26555
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Theres some scout who goes over and says "This Forgein kid is going to blow your mind! He's plays D, has X ray vizion, can shoot the lights out, and he's 6'6. Deffinatley the wave of the future." And every year this kid gets drafted way higher then he has any business going. Then he makes the team pay him, while he plays over seas for 2 years, comes over here and rides the pine somewhere. I'm tired of it! There were people before the draft saying "Take Darko over Lebron! I'm telling you this Darko kid is a can't miss." Or "Take Michael Olowakandi over Mike Bibby. He's 7ft tall, a beast." Yeah he may be 17 and he may be making a great first impression against a bunch of other forgein players. And maybe he gets a few points against us. But Kevin Garnett would have been doing that at 17 had he been playing in t he Olympics, same with LeBron, or Carmello. Fact is forgein basketball has made strides in the right direction, but they have ALONG way to go to catch USA in hoops.

As Point Guards in the draft go for next year.. He'll be behind Brandon Jennings for sure, and this guy you might have heard of named Ty Lawson.
Great post. Seriously; what European players have actually panned out over the last several years?

SAVAGE CLAW
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Europeans that panned out?

Calderon,Parker,Peja,Dirk,Pau ,thats if we talk about being stars or almost stars, but if we are talking about good players and starter like player the list is looooooonngggggggg.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh and yes, that was Rubios stats in the Euro final against Russia among kids his age.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2008, 03:04 AM
i indeed watch him play almost every weekend, so i can give out my opinion.