PDA

View Full Version : Wade, D'Antoni, Colangelo compliment Melo's Olympic role

DenButsu
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Anthony goes from top scorer to top rebounder

"One summer Kobe (Bryant) wasn't here, the next summer Dwyane Wade wasn't there, so his numbers aren't going to be there," assistant coach Mike D'Antoni said. "His touches are less, so I wouldn't put a whole lot into the number aspect."

Anthony attempted only 15 shots in the first three games, sixth-most on the team and far too few for a scorer to find any consistent groove. However, he's leading the team with 5.3 rebounds per game while playing as a power forward, not his natural small forward spot.

"Rebounding's been big for him, he's getting in there and he's making things happen," Wade said. "Defensively the last couple of games he's really been coming on, and the four position is a very important position on this team and I think he understands that.

"And the one thing I like about him ... he's been the leading scorer the last two times we've played together and he's still not pressing about being the leading scorer. He wants the gold medal and he's made that very clear. And he'll do whatever it takes to get one, so he's doing all the dirty work, he's doing all the things you need to do."

Anthony scored eight points Thursday in a 92-69 victory against Greece, the U.S. team's toughest opponent yet. He added six rebounds and two steals, including one that led to LeBron James' dunk while the Americans were blowing open the game late in the second quarter.

USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said those types of hustle plays may help get Anthony's offense going.

"I think (Thursday) night was by far the best that he's been and that's what we need from him. He was pretty active, defensively, rebounding and really did a good job," Colangelo said. "He's been working hard and I think (Thursday) night was a little payoff for him."suntimes.com (http://stats.suntimes.com/olympics/story.asp?i=20080815064424293294408&ref=rec&tm=&src=DOLY)

F15Eagle
08-16-2008, 02:49 PM
The issue is not the number of shots, or points but his %. Is it good ? Power forwards generally shoot at high %. Is he locking down the opponent ?
Someone assess his game for me.