PDA

View Full Version : 6 years, 80 million for Iggy..... what's your opinion?

kelkath
08-15-2008, 09:16 PM
As a team included in the Atlantic Division, What your opinion about Philly paying Iggy huge salary?

NYstateofMinD
08-15-2008, 11:40 PM
This is whats wrong with Sports today, good players getting crazy money like this...Honestly he is worth to me about 50Mill/5 yrs -55mill. Unless he can show me he has a consistent jumpshot then I would give him around 60. That's just me.

Hawkeye15
08-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Philly didn't persue Brand for that $, to let their best player leave. This is about the next 4 years. Philly is possibly a top 5-6 teaw now, if Elton is healthy

tonyd3b54
08-15-2008, 11:50 PM
hes phillys main scorer he deserves to get paid...and its not like theyre paying him top scorer $$$...most top scorers make upwards 15 mil a year...but igoudala has the potential to be a top scorer in a few years so it could be a bargain down the road...

Joshtd1
08-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Think its over paid, the same way Deng was.

superkegger
08-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Think its over paid, the same way Deng was.

Agreed. Over paid now. The hope is though that he'll be underpaid in a few years though. (I know thats somewhat unfathomable to be getting that kind of money and be called underpaid, but yall know what I mean). But I don't think Iggy or Deng will ever rise to that class of player. IMO they both will be overpaid for the life of those contracts.

hyphy king 88
08-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Overpaid, yes, but you have to overpay to keep your franchise players now a days, sadly. None the less, hes going to be a great player for them.

Chronz
08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
I wouldnt give a contract like that out unless the player Im giving it to has insane potential (Tmac at 20) or if he raises his game substantially in the playoffs ...... Iggy fills neither of these needs but they cant afford to lose him. They could always trade him later.

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 12:54 AM
$10,561,500.00
$11,670,457.50
$12,779,415.00
$13,888,372.50
$14,997,330.00
$16,106,287.50

Breaks down to what his deal would be, and I don't see a problem wit that honestly. The last year is meaningless because even if he is trash (which he won't be), there are always rebuilding teams who'd LOVE a 16 million dollar expiring. I'm fine with giving Iguodala those amounts yearly, because he has shown the potential to be a 25-6-6 kinda guy, and with today's salaries those aren't crazy numbers by any means.

yojoe792
08-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Agreed. Over paid now. The hope is though that he'll be underpaid in a few years though. (I know thats somewhat unfathomable to be getting that kind of money and be called underpaid, but yall know what I mean). But I don't think Iggy or Deng will ever rise to that class of player. IMO they both will be overpaid for the life of those contracts.

I don't really think he's that comparable to Deng. Iguodola's a leader, the spark of the offense. Deng seems confused.

superkegger
08-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't really think he's that comparable to Deng. Iguodola's a leader, the spark of the offense. Deng seems confused.

I think they're very comparable, both about the same size play the same position, around the same age, about the same contract. They put up pretty similar numbers.

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I think they're very comparable, both about the same size play the same position, around the same age, about the same contract. They put up pretty similar numbers.

He meant leadership wise, not talent. At least I think that's what he meant

bogdanrom
Sixers had to this no matter how much money AI wanted unless he wanted over $100 million. If they didn't sign him the off season would be a disaster. It was a MUST sign for the Sixers. Does he deserve? Probably. We won't know until he plays. I still think he needs to improve his shot, but he is a very complete player.

Ph1lly Diehard
If we lost Iggy the Brand signing was useless. Iggy and his agent both knew that, and they took advantage of it.
That and the fact that Deng got payed 6 years/70 mil and Iggy is a better player then that they wanted more money.

Anyhow, I don't really have a problem with the deal. Either way if we signed him to a 70m deal we wouldn't have alot of money anyhow to spend in the upcoming years..

superkegger
08-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Iggy may be a better leader, but I he's also got a very good vet pg in miller who (granted I didn't get to see a lot of sixers games) is not only their floor general but their leader. And now hes got brand too. The bulls don't have a vet leader to look to, and they just expected Deng who is their best player to be their leader. Not that the best player on the team shouldn't be a leader, but often there's another guy on the team who is the leader.

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Iggy may be a better leader, but I he's also got a very good vet pg in miller who (granted I didn't get to see a lot of sixers games) is not only their floor general but their leader. And now hes got brand too. The bulls don't have a vet leader to look to, and they just expected Deng who is their best player to be their leader. Not that the best player on the team shouldn't be a leader, but often there's another guy on the team who is the leader.

Agreed, and Miller really was the floor general of the team but Iguodala was more of the vocal leader last year (maybe Brand will take over that role this year). Deng just doesn't look like that type of player/person. No knock on him

BarryIsInnocent
08-16-2008, 01:17 AM
The warriors got monta ellis for 6 years 66 mil i think..monta is better and younger than dre'

rapswin98
08-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Philly overpaid, but if thats what it takes to keep him then thats fine. They are still contending

SeoulBeatz
08-16-2008, 02:39 AM
as a philly fan, i agree, he was indeed overpaid.

but we needed him. he is a key part to our team, and his stats were pretty good last year.

20.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.8 apg, 2.2 spg, 0.7 bpg, 45% shooting, 33% 3 point

those are pretty good numbers for a 24 year old on a playoff team.

so yeah, it was worth it in my mind.

barreleffact
08-16-2008, 03:28 AM
they may have over paid deng and Iggy, but isnt this type of contract the going rate for players who are consistent and can break out any given night? its not a max deal, and iggy does need to show better offense but its not a terrible kwame tract tho

barreleffact
08-16-2008, 03:30 AM
The warriors got monta ellis for 6 years 66 mil i think..monta is better and younger than dre'

and sry bud. i disagree...id take iggy over monta ANYDAY....thats may be just me tho. but iggy can defend better, is bigger, more athletic, and can do pretty much everything except score and hadle better than monta. and monta cant even shoot the 3 either. dont get me wrong, monta is trying to be a star, but i dont see that happening either. once again, thats just me tho

dick butane
08-16-2008, 05:43 AM
That's a lot of money to pay the east coast Corey Maggette. He and Brand will team up to miss the playoffs for years to come. Good news Philly!

Tom81
08-16-2008, 06:11 AM
over paid,he is not evan a all-star player.

Chronz
08-16-2008, 06:25 AM
as a philly fan, i agree, he was indeed overpaid.

but we needed him. he is a key part to our team, and his stats were pretty good last year.

20.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.8 apg, 2.2 spg, 0.7 bpg, 45% shooting, 33% 3 point

those are pretty good numbers for a 24 year old on a playoff team.

so yeah, it was worth it in my mind.

What if he plays every playoffs the way he did this year?

Chronz
08-16-2008, 06:32 AM
$10,561,500.00
$11,670,457.50
$12,779,415.00
$13,888,372.50
$14,997,330.00
$16,106,287.50

Breaks down to what his deal would be, and I don't see a problem wit that honestly. The last year is meaningless because even if he is trash (which he won't be), there are always rebuilding teams who'd LOVE a 16 million dollar expiring. I'm fine with giving Iguodala those amounts yearly, because he has shown the potential to be a 25-6-6 kinda guy, and with today's salaries those aren't crazy numbers by any means.

I dont know if he can be that good but that doesnt seem like an unreasonable or untradeable contract.

yojoe792
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Well sort of. I meant that Iguodola is so much more important to his team than Deng is to the Bulls. Deng is like a Michael Redd, talented but does little for the well being of the team.

So I think Deng if more overpaid than Iguodola.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Chronz-What if he plays every playoffs the way he did this year?
(Sorry, quoted something else you said by accident)

He won't though..

Reason he did was because the Pistons chose to shut just HIM down..

Now there probably going to be doubling Brand which should create more open shots for Iggy, thus playing better in the playoffs..

The Brand signing is great because not only does it give us a low post presence, but EVERYONE benefits from him being on the floor.

Brand is also a type of player you can count on when the game is in the 4th and you need to score.

Skins4Life
08-16-2008, 11:38 AM
overpaid... just like every other free agent in the market this year... but honestly how do you give igudala (sorry if i spelled his name wrong) this much, the same way deng got overpaid by the bulls... I guess its for the sake of the future, but if igudala doesnt become a star player in the future, the GM will look like a dumbass....