PDA

View Full Version : 6 years, 80 million for Iggy , what's your take?

kelkath
08-15-2008, 09:12 PM
As a team included in the Atlantic Division, What your take about Philly paying Iggy huge salary?

star
08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
a great player ..... but thats an over-payment .... i dont know if he is franchise player calibre .... i see him as more of a really good second option .... when you pay a guy that much money and he is NOT lebron/kobe/mcgrady/ etc you really handicap your franchise .... i dont see iggy as a 24+ppg guy for the next 6 years ....

Bob_at_york
08-15-2008, 11:03 PM
that's the market value. If you wanted to keep him, you had to pay it.

Master P
08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
i dont understand market value. lets look at things this way. jose is a pg, the second most sought after position. he was nearly an all-star last season and was rewarded with 8 million per season. iggy was not in the all-star conversation, yet gets 12 millioin...at a position that is loaded with talent.

so yeah, overpaid...****, i thought maggette was overpaid.

Ramon Nivar
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Overpaid, but he is a very good player. Can play 2 positions very well while being able to score and defend from both of those positions.

_Sn1P3r_
08-15-2008, 11:46 PM
that's the market value. If you wanted to keep him, you had to pay it.

Yup.

Dragan
08-16-2008, 01:28 AM
good for him. the talent vacume on that team allowed him to get overpayed, still good for him.

Cortez
08-16-2008, 02:12 AM
whos going to pay him that much?

Bob_at_york
08-16-2008, 07:49 AM
i dont understand market value. lets look at things this way. jose is a pg, the second most sought after position. he was nearly an all-star last season and was rewarded with 8 million per season. iggy was not in the all-star conversation, yet gets 12 millioin...at a position that is loaded with talent.

so yeah, overpaid...****, i thought maggette was overpaid.

Jose doesn't have the "star power" that Iggy does. Iggy also is seen to have more potiential, whether that is right or not.

star
08-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Jose doesn't have the "star power" that Iggy does. Iggy also is seen to have more potiential, whether that is right or not.

is that a fact?

i think jose has as much star power ... do you not understand how big the latino community is in the states ... esp in LA, Tx, NY .... not to mention the overseas power

Bob_at_york
08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
is that a fact?

i think jose has as much star power ... do you not understand how big the latino community is in the states ... esp in LA, Tx, NY .... not to mention the overseas power

Jose definitely does not have as much star power. I also think you are over-simplicating the "latino community". I don't pretend to be an expert and I don't want to put words into people's mouths but I am not sure if people from South America care about a Spanish basketball player.

Tblaze
08-16-2008, 08:57 AM
he was their perfect fit, if they would've let him go it would've been a huge gap in their roster, If you're going for championship contention, you might aswell go for it with all means possible, and they really needed him.

star
08-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Jose definitely does not have as much star power. I also think you are over-simplicating the "latino community". I don't pretend to be an expert and I don't want to put words into people's mouths but I am not sure if people from South America care about a Spanish basketball player.

did you possibly mean "over-simplifying"

I have been to LA many times and many people are all about their spanish basketball players ... much like we are with steve nash...

Iggy ... well he may be popular on some levels but he definitely is NOT franchise player popular. Not as popular as VC or AI or even BOSH ... i see him as a REDD or Rashard LEWIS type guy ... great players, huge money (cause their team has been so bad for so long) but just not good enough to be in the teir 1 superstar category.

ramz.n
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM

i agree with you, not only that but Iggy is in Phili where expectations are high from the Iverson era..where basketball is televised everywhere in the U.S..Jose plays for Toronto the only Canadian team in the NBA and is rarely seen which gives him no hype whatsoever in the states.

Bob_at_york
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
did you possibly mean "over-simplifying"
No, that is what I meant to use. Pretty much means the same thing.

I have been to LA many times and many people are all about their spanish basketball players ... much like we are with steve nash...
Who are these people? Where are they from?

Iggy ... well he may be popular on some levels but he definitely is NOT franchise player popular. Not as popular as VC or AI or even BOSH ... i see him as a REDD or Rashard LEWIS type guy ... great players, huge money (cause their team has been so bad for so long) but just not good enough to be in the teir 1 superstar category.
Much like Redd and Lewis, he is right there. He is a star in this league and could end up being an allstar at some point. Players like that get paid.

dirtybird
08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Factoring in the contract, the Hawks got a way better deal with Smith (thanks to Memphis) than Philly got with Igoudala. I don't think that AI contract is ridiculous, but the Hawks definitely got the better deal.

argo
08-17-2008, 05:09 AM
philly had to do it, good move

star
08-17-2008, 10:24 AM
No, that is what I meant to use. Pretty much means the same thing.

Who are these people? Where are they from?

Much like Redd and Lewis, he is right there. He is a star in this league and could end up being an allstar at some point. Players like that get paid.

Really? "Simplicating" ... and you MEANT to use it? What language does that word belong to?

..."Maybe you should work on your spelling and people will take you more seriously" Bob at York

He may make the all-star game, but will not be a perennial all-star. Yes they do get paid, but that does not mean it is worth it. Yogi Stewart got paid, Kwame Brown got paid ..... but a better comparison is rashard lewis got max would you want him on your team for max?

star
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
philly had to do it, good move
Maybe they didn't have to do it. Maybe they could have traded him becuase other people may have over valued him

IversonIsKrazy
08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
a little overpaid for now. but in 2years from now, he'll b better, and that salary will b deserved

kanersen
08-17-2008, 05:41 PM
if iggy develops a consistant jumper, he'll be worth that much with everything else he brings on the floor

right now it is more or less a million overpay

Halladay
08-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah thats about his market value but at the same time it's alot of money to give someone who's not you're teams first option.

boston08champs
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
iggy is not worth 80 million.

LD V2.0
08-18-2008, 12:10 AM
As a team included in the Atlantic Division, What your take about Philly paying Iggy huge salary?

I think they were trapped. He's a nice complimentary player but he's not worth that kind of money. They couldn't afford to lose him though, so they gave him the money. Unless the young guys like Louis Williams continue to expand their game this club will be little more than a middle of the pack playoff team because they can't afford to add much more.

Bob_at_york
08-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Welcome back LD! :clap:

pebloemer
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Rashard Lewis: 17.238 million (hoopshype)
Michael Redd: 15.780 million (hoopshype)
Iguodala: 13.333 million (80/6)

Players making more than Iggy:

Ben Wallace, Lamar Odom, Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirilenko, Mike Bibby, Shawn Marion, Steve Francis, Shaq, Stephon Marbury.

A good comparison for market value may be Richard Jefferson. Jefferson makes about the same money and to me plays a comparable game.

Iguodala may be comparable to Redd and Lewis in regards to his game, but his contract is much less then either of those, so I don't see that as a great comparison.

Looking at market value, and some of the contracts out there, I don't think this contract is too bad for Philly. They may have slightly overpaid, but I don't think they significantly overpaid where is will strap them financially. There are much worse contracts out there and some teams carrying those contracts have still had success (ie. Odom with LA and Kirilenko with Utah).

reevanson
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
If this works out its good for philly, but if it doesnt they are screwed for many years to come!

The Wise 1
08-18-2008, 06:00 PM
If this works out its good for philly, but if it doesnt they are screwed for many years to come!

Cant you say that about every long term contract that is signed?

The guy is under the age of 25 and has shown the ability to play at a high level. I dont have a problem with the contract at all, like some have stated earlier, it was market value and thats what he got. Any guy as young as him who has shown that he can score at a high rate while being able to rebound and defend at a high level is going to get that much money. Not to mention he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

reevanson
08-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Cant you say that about every long term contract that is signed?

The guy is under the age of 25 and has shown the ability to play at a high level. I dont have a problem with the contract at all, like some have stated earlier, it was market value and thats what he got. Any guy as young as him who has shown that he can score at a high rate while being able to rebound and defend at a high level is going to get that much money. Not to mention he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

I know you could say that about any long term deal but they dont just have one they have 2 in Brand and Iggy. I dont really have a problem with this deal either but Iggy is still fairly unproven he does not seem like a leader, but they now have Brand for that. Like is said if it works out it will be great for Philly and they will contend for the top of the east.

boms-4
08-20-2008, 05:38 PM
good move for philly. Iggy is there only hope:D