PDA

View Full Version : SI - Ranking the Western Conference

IndyFan
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
We've already evaluated the Eastern Conference based on the offseason moves to this point. Now let's assess the West.

The West has been remarkably quiet so far -- at least among the top clubs. Other than the Rockets (who have acquired Ron Artest from the Kings), no elite team has really made a big move yet. It will be interesting to see if a top contender with tradable assets such as the Lakers or Jazz makes a deal to try to bolster its chances now or whether it stands pat.

At any rate, here's how we see the conference at the moment:

1. Lakers:
2. Rockets:
3. Hornets:
4. Jazz:
5. Spurs:
6. Mavericks:
7. Trail Blazers:
8. Suns:

9. Nuggets: After yet another first-round playoff ouster, it's no surprise that they might take steps to break it down and start over. GM Mark Warkentien seems to be paving the road for a big trade, perhaps next year. It's the only way to explain the giveaway trade of Marcus Camby to the Clippers while adding only role players Renaldo Balkman (trade with Knicks) and Chris (Birdman)Andersen (free agent). The Nuggets will still be competitive this season with Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Kenyon Martin, but they also might implode.

10. Clippers:
11. Warriors:
12. Kings:
13. Timberwolves:
14. Oklahoma City:
15. Grizzlies:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/15/west.rankings/index.html?eref=T1 ("")

:)

TheAnswer037108
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Definitely disagree, especially with Brandon Roy undergoing arthroscopic surgery. There's now way in hell, barring an internal collapse, that the Nuggets finish below the Blazers. Furthermore, I will go as far to say that at the VERY LEAST, with the Nuggets as presently constituted, they will have at least the 8th seed LOCKED UP.

Also, the Nuggets have a better squad then Phoenix and Dallas. Both Nash and Kidd are gonna be older and anyone that has seen Team USA play knows that Kidd is REALLY starting to show his age. Finally, the Spurs are an aging team and unless they add some youth I dont see them being any better this year. The Nuggets are poised to get the 8th spot and perhaps can even go up to the 5th or 4th spot, depending on well Utah plays. I'll agree that the Nuggets arent as good as the top 3.

TheAnswer037108
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
My rankings:
1. Lakers
2. Rockets
3. Hornets
4. Nuggets
5. Jazz
6. Spurs
7. Mavericks
8. Suns

That's an optimistic, yet still realistic, out look for how the standings will play out. I think the Clippers can make a big run for that 8th spot. So the Suns might be outta the dance.

Nugget Tony
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I can't really argue with those rankings none....

IversonIsKrazy
08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
lets b honest here, i c us at the 9th spot. all we did this season is replace camby w/ birdman. and replace najera with balkman. I dont c us making the playoffs. this is my rankings:

1. LAL
2. SAS
3. NOH
4. HOU
5. UTA
6. DAL
7. POR
8. PHO
9. DEN
10. LAC
11. GSW
12. SAC
13. MIN
14. MEM
15. OKC

liliverson819
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
theres no way that portland will make it ahead of us with brandon needing knee surgery all they really have now is two rookies essentially in bayless and oden running the show and then a average shooting guard in well actually i cant even remember his name and then a hit and miss forwards in aldridge and outlaw. theres no way thats better than ai melo and kenyon and plus our bench is alot better in my opinion.

08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
yeh but brandon roy will be able to play by the start of the seaon. but nuggets fan/iverson fan, i believe the highest spot nuggets will be able to achieve would be 8th, unless of course they push for a goo trade, preferably a starting point guard( Delonte west or Kirk), then i rekon we might beable to push further, anyway here is my rankings. (If we started with the team we have now)

1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Houston
4. Jazz
5. Pheonix
6. Dallas
7. Portland
8. Nuggets (iffy)

DenButsu
08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I really don't think we'll miss the playoffs, and I think we have as good a shot as Dallas, Phoenix, etc. for a 6th or 7th seed.

TheAnswer037108
08-16-2008, 01:36 AM
I really don't think we'll miss the playoffs, and I think we have as good a shot as Dallas, Phoenix, etc. for a 6th or 7th seed.

I agree with u. Ill go as far to say that we have a better squad than Dallas OR Phoenix.

But I hope we get Delonte/Livingston

SlowMo
08-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Nuggets are better than a number of those guys. They have some great pieces on the roster, and really could make a run at the 6-4 seeds. Then again, they could underachieve or get injured and miss the playoffs. The problem with the nuggs isn't that we don't have great players, but we don't have consistency. I thought we'd get it last year but we didn't... again. IF, the nuggets put effort into defence, and IF we use JR Smith and Steven Hunter enough, the nuggets really could push the Jazz (but probably not pass them).

I don't think our team is necessarily worse than last year. But it will be a very different team. If they practice to their strengths, and really work hard at team defense then they will be very good and fun to watch next year.

TheAnswer037108
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Nuggets are better than a number of those guys. They have some great pieces on the roster, and really could make a run at the 6-4 seeds. Then again, they could underachieve or get injured and miss the playoffs. The problem with the nuggs isn't that we don't have great players, but we don't have consistency. I thought we'd get it last year but we didn't... again. IF, the nuggets put effort into defence, and IF we use JR Smith and Steven Hunter enough, the nuggets really could push the Jazz (but probably not pass them).

I don't think our team is necessarily worse than last year. But it will be a very different team. If they practice to their strengths, and really work hard at team defense then they will be very good and fun to watch next year.

:clap:

Could not have said it better myself....in short, the players have to play