PDA

View Full Version : SI - Ranking the Western Conference

IndyFan
08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
We've already evaluated the Eastern Conference based on the offseason moves to this point. Now let's assess the West.

The West has been remarkably quiet so far -- at least among the top clubs. Other than the Rockets (who have acquired Ron Artest from the Kings), no elite team has really made a big move yet. It will be interesting to see if a top contender with tradable assets such as the Lakers or Jazz makes a deal to try to bolster its chances now or whether it stands pat.

At any rate, here's how we see the conference at the moment:

1. Lakers:
2. Rockets:
3. Hornets:
4. Jazz:
5. Spurs:

6. Mavericks: Mark Cuban's team has been surprisingly quiet, with the most buzz being generated by the trade rumors involving Josh Howard. Dallas did reacquire center DeSagana Diop (via free agency from the Nets) and took a flier on former Slam Dunk champion Gerald Green, who finished last season out of the league after the Rockets waived him in March. Of course, the Mavs' big change came on the bench after the season when Rick Carlisle was hired to replace Avery Johnson.

7. Trail Blazers:
8. Suns:
9. Nuggets:
10. Clippers:
11. Warriors:
12. Kings:
13. Timberwolves:
14. Oklahoma City:
15. Grizzlies:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/15/west.rankings/index.html?eref=T1 ("")

:)

Tha Truth
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't think this team has what it takes to make noise in the tough Western Conference.

Lone Maverick
08-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I can take solace in the fact that this time last year people said the same thing about the Lakers and Hornets and both clubs went on to have pretty OK seasons. Every year there are always a few teams that surprise everyone by having a good or even great year. Not saying that's what will happen in Dallas but a guy can hope.

FromDallas
08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I would swap the Mavs with the Blazers and I would agree.