PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Dream Team vs. 2008 Redeem Team

MoBASS
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Simple question: who would win a matchup between the Dream Team circa August 1992 vs. the Redeem Team circa August 2008?

Things to consider:

Dream Team

- greatest team ever assembled
- blew teams out by an average of 40+ points
- Jordan, Magic, Bird... ridiculous amounts of competitiveness, desire and pride

Redeem Team

- sports are all about evolution. As time passes, athletes naturally become more talented and athletic (faster and stronger)
- this team has practiced much more together than the Dream Team
- competing against a higher level of talent

Alright, think about it. 1 game, 40 minutes... who wins?

still1ballin
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Dream Team by a mile.

lakers4sho
08-15-2008, 02:10 PM
:sigh:

Some people just don't learn.

daleja424
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
This would be closer then people think...it really would. The only reason they won by 60 ppg back then was the inferior competition... I call it a draw... Its impossible to answer

Jay22Redd
08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Dream Team

Zefflin
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
It would come down to who had the better game for the day...KB or MJ.

MetsAllTheWay
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
dream team defintely

avsman05
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
dream team magic bird jordan over kobe bron wade any day

MoBASS
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Dream Team by a mile.

I think you're wrong here. Our team defense is better than theirs was because they never practiced it. That factored in with the fact that players now are superior physically and I think it's pretty close.

I think today's team would win.

superkegger
08-15-2008, 02:21 PM
For the 2008 team all but j kidd are in or entering their prime.

In my opinion its very close. But theres a couple things people don't remember about that 1992 team. They just see the names and forget where those guys where at that point in there career. Magic and Bird were in the twilight of their careers. Christian Laetner? Please. Chris Mullin was good, but meh, hes not all that great.

Though that frontcourt was beastly with Ewing, Robinson, Malone and Barkley.

It's really close to me. I think the overall collection of talent at the specific time in which they're playing the 2008 team is better. I think this team also has a better sense of team.

daleja424
08-15-2008, 02:21 PM
dream team magic bird jordan over kobe bron wade any day

excpt we are talking bird and magic at the end of their career vs. wade and bron approaching their primes...

Ph1lly Diehard
08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Dream Team. They had everyone you could imagine and they were all good playing together.
Not like this team isn't, but all of them had leadership and could take over the game.

THE MTL
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I think the game would be VERY CLOSE. Our guys actually played together longer and have the chemistry. The Dream Team had a ridiculous amount of talent, but they aint play nobody. The level of competition was horrible. The guys they played were like "Wow, Jordan just dunked on me. Its so cool". Nowadays its like, "Lebron just dunked on me, Imma return the favor."

JordansBulls
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Dream Team 1's lowest victory in exhibition and real play was 32 points. They won by an average of 43.8 ppg and they never called one timeout in the whole tournament.

Sixerlover
08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Magic vs Kidd
Jordan vs Wade
Bird vs Kobe
Barkley vs LeBron
Robinson vs Howard

the redeem team is a little too young right now, but I could see the matchup problems. Dwight is just as strong as Robinson was, LeBron is taller than Barkley and strong as an ox as well. Kobe + Wade would have very, very tough matchups, and Kidd would get owned. It would depend on how Kobe + Wade handle it.

JordansBulls
08-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Put it this way. The 1996 team is still better than the 2008 team

This was the 1996 Team.

John Stockton
Mitch Richmond
David Robinson
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen
Shaquille O'Neal
Reggie Miller
Hakeem Olajuwon
Karl Malone
Anfernee Hardaway
Grant Hill
Charles Barkley

they won by an average of 33 ppg.

superkegger
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Dream Team 1's lowest victory in exhibition and real play was 32 points. They won by an average of 43.8 ppg and they never called one timeout in the whole tournament.

yeah but in 92 how many foreign players were in the NBA? maybe 10... Now there's like 75. The international game is so much better now, and teams now play together for so much longer. We've seen 3 mvp's won by 2 international players. A ton of international NBA all stars. just looking at the margin of victory is very narrow minded.

JordansBulls
08-15-2008, 03:21 PM
yeah but in 92 how many foreign players were in the NBA? maybe 10... Now there's like 75. The international game is so much better now, and teams now play together for so much longer. We've seen 3 mvp's won by 2 international players. A ton of international NBA all stars. just looking at the margin of victory is very narrow minded.

Ever heard of Croatia and Lithuania in 1992? either of those teams are better than any team not named United States.

MoBASS
08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I think this could have been a lively and interesting thread had it not been moved to the NBA comparisons forum, which hardly anyone visits.

How about giving it some time on the NBA forum before moving it over?

It's a lot deeper than "Barkley vs. Garnett" or "best dunker ever".. it's about basketball and the evolution of the game.

still1ballin
08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I think you're wrong here. Our team defense is better than theirs was because they never practiced it. That factored in with the fact that players now are superior physically and I think it's pretty close.

I think today's team would win.

If the Redeem Team can't shoot their outside shots ( 3 point ) theres no chance they would beat the Dream Team.

bogdanrom
08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Right now, the Dream Team by a mile and a little more. Almost every guy on the Dream Team is better then their counterpart on the Redeem Team.
Magic>Kidd
MJ>Kobe
Bird>LBJ
Karl Malone>Boozer
Shaq>Dwight Howard
Stockton>CP3/Deron
David Robinson>Bosh
This team is very young though.

bogdanrom
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Just because teams did not have NBA players did not mean they weren't good. Look at Greece when they beat USA. I think they had only one player in the NBA, but they defeated a team that had everyone playing in the NBA. Basketball is more than just who has the most NBA players? I do agree with you that the international game is much better now, but teams like Yugoslavia, Croatia, and Lithunia were amazing back then.

stawka
08-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmm is this serious?!

Dream Team would **** on the Redeem Team. We're still in talks about all the if's and maybe's about this team - still not even sure if they can win it all

SAVAGE CLAW
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
MMM Lets give it a tought.

Stockton, Maximum nba assists in history.

Malone, second most prolific scorer ever.

Magic, 5 rings triple double record, second best at assist.

Larry Bird, best white player ever.

M Jordan, Greatest ever?.

Lets have on account another thing, the all time starting five would look something like this Magic,Jordan,Bird,Duncan and Chamberlain.

Thats a 3-0 for the dream team, and no Kobe has 0 chance to take Bird or Jordan out of that list.

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
The Dream Team was the best team ever assembled. Period

Max Power
08-16-2008, 12:41 AM
I think it would be close, but that would because the real Dream Teamers are pushing 50.

bogdanrom
08-16-2008, 01:16 AM

Lets have on account another thing, the all time starting five would look something like this Magic,Jordan,Bird,Duncan and Chamberlain.

Thats a 3-0 for the dream team, and no Kobe has 0 chance to take Bird or Jordan out of that list.

Chamberlain??????TD?????? What are you talking about??We are talking about the 92' team. At that time Chamberlain had been retired for 19 years and TD was 16 at the time. But yeah the Dream Team would punish the Redeem Team.

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Chamberlain??????TD?????? What are you talking about??We are talking about the 92' team. At that time Chamberlain had been retired for 19 years and TD was 16 at the time. But yeah the Dream Team would punish the Redeem Team.

He said that would be the all-time best players at their position on one team. Not the dream team, trying to prove that they had 3 of the best players for their positions EVER on one team.

bogdanrom
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
He said that would be the all-time best players at their position on one team. Not the dream team, trying to prove that they had 3 of the best players for their positions EVER on one team.

Oh my abd I didn't see the all time part. :o I feel pretty bad right now. :(

madiaz3
08-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Bird was 36 and Magic 34, are you guys seriously just reading the names and basing it off that? Lebron today would have a field day with Bird that old.

Kyle N.
08-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Simple question: who would win a matchup between the Dream Team circa August 1992 vs. the Redeem Team circa August 2008?

Things to consider:

Dream Team

- greatest team ever assembled
- blew teams out by an average of 40+ points
- Jordan, Magic, Bird... ridiculous amounts of competitiveness, desire and pride

Redeem Team

- sports are all about evolution. As time passes, athletes naturally become more talented and athletic (faster and stronger)
- this team has practiced much more together than the Dream Team
- competing against a higher level of talent

Alright, think about it. 1 game, 40 minutes... who wins?

You answered your question right there. It wouldn't be a blowout, but I'd say they'd win by 10-15.

_Sn1P3r_
08-16-2008, 06:16 PM
'Greatest team ever assembled'. I say '92 Dream Team wins.

laker1000
08-17-2008, 12:01 AM
1992 Dream Team

superkegger
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Just because teams did not have NBA players did not mean they weren't good. Look at Greece when they beat USA. I think they had only one player in the NBA, but they defeated a team that had everyone playing in the NBA. Basketball is more than just who has the most NBA players? I do agree with you that the international game is much better now, but teams like Yugoslavia, Croatia, and Lithunia were amazing back then.

Yeah, they were good, not amazing. And I think many of the teams today would beat them, like spain, argentina and the likes. They were good, but they werent on the level that some of the teams are today.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that the dream team is better.

Magic had been retired for a year. Bird would soon be out of the NBA. Stockton over Zeke at that point was a joke. No Nique. And Laetner, please.

And as good of a defender as Scottie was, I don't think he could even stop Bron. That frontcourt would take the current teams no doubt, but the depth and atheleticism of the Redeem team is too much even with MJ on the Dream team.

But either way, I like what Dan Wetzel (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=dw-dreamorredeem081808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) says when he states.

If anything, you could argue that while the 1992 version may remain the greatest team ever assembled and one that would be favored in a hypothetical matchup, no team has ever played the game at a higher level than the current U.S. team.

That I couldn't agree with more.

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, they were good, not amazing. And I think many of the teams today would beat them, like spain, argentina and the likes. They were good, but they werent on the level that some of the teams are today..

Croatia and Yugoslavia would beat any foreign team today.

cahawk
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Dream team would kill the 2008 team.
Lebron would be the 2008 teams only advantage.

Tom81
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM

S.J.Basketball
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Dream Team without question...anyone who thinks otherwise obviously isn't old enough to remember the original dream team. Hell...the 96 Dream Team would destroy them too! Shaq, Robinson and Olijuwan...nuff said...

AllTheWay
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM

But look at the evolution of the international players.

I say the Redeem team would win. Better defensively, more athletic. If their shots go down consistently, I say they would win.

JordansBulls
08-19-2008, 11:48 PM
But look at the evolution of the international players.

I say the Redeem team would win. Better defensively, more athletic. If their shots go down consistently, I say they would win.

Better what?

Robinson, Ewing alone in the frontcourt is better than this team has. Then in the backcourt you had Stockton, Jordan and Pippen

cahawk
08-20-2008, 03:13 AM
And the 92 Dream Team didn't have their player shooting the worst %, taking the most shots.
MJ not only fit in, he never made any attempt to take over or gunning up the most shots.

rico
08-20-2008, 05:29 AM
dream team is about untouchable as it gets really.

Zefflin
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Dream team would kill the 2008 team.
Lebron would be the 2008 teams only advantage.

That's just ******** to say. So Kobe, Flash, Dwight, Melo, Bosh, Dwill or CP3 wouldn't have any affect on the game?

I would love to watch this game but voting is just a matter of opinion. I can't decide.