PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Eastern Conference - SI

IndyFan
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Another look at the eastern conference. this one from marty burns of SI.

With the NBA in full summer mode, it's a good time to take a look at how teams stack up right now. First up is a snapshot of the Eastern Conference, followed by the West later this week.

It's extremely difficult to get a read on the East, especially the bottom half. Nearly every team that finished out of the playoffs last season looks improved, with no obvious doormats. The battle for the No. 8 spot could be very tight among a handful of teams.

Here's a look at how we see it at the moment, with the caveat that the view could change between now and the start of training camp in October:

1. Celtics:
2. Cavaliers:
3. Magic:

4. 76ers: They made perhaps the biggest splash in free agency, persuading Elton Brand to bolt the Clippers for a new life in Philadelphia. The two-time All-Star power forward gives them the low-post scorer they desperately needed. They also re-signed Louis Williams and added Kareem Rush to shore up their backcourt depth. Assuming they bring back Andre Iguodala, who reportedly is nearing a new deal to stay, the Sixers should take another big step in their dramatic rise.

5. Wizards:
6. Pistons:
7. Raptors:
8. Pacers:
9. Hawks:
10. Bobcats:
11. Heat:
12. Bucks:
13. Bulls:
14. Nets:
15. Knicks:

marty burns (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/13/east.rankings/1.html)

:)

BChydro86
08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
we are better than the cavs.

Shieldsz
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
agreed... no reason cavs should be that high AT ALL

Sixerlover
08-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Pistons aren't 6th, Cavs aren't 2nd

Ph1lly Diehard
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
All of that is so messed up..

Raps 7? I'm not a raptors fan by any means, but there better then that. I'd put them at #5 and put the Wiz at #7.

Pistons should be in the Cavs spot.

However, rankings don't matter. We will see when the season starts where all teams stand, and we will find out pretty fast.

FNM BOY
08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Most of these supposedly professional NBA Analyst and Writers prove to be nothing more than idiots with a degree(s)...I don't pay them much attention and most of the time they only state the obvious anyway.

MylesKong
08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
wtf Cavs 2!!? I would think there would be more typos while he's writing this with Lebron dick in his mouth...
Cavs are barely the 6th best squad in the East. Mo Williams will make them better I think...but not this good.

BChydro86
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
my theory is that they put the cavs at number 2 to generate interest because they have lebron james. they know the cavs arent the 2nd best team in the east (im not even sure that theyre top 6) but they have lebron so they want him as high up there as possible.

MylesKong
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I said. Lebron's the x factor or whatever...but 2nd? Geez's!!! Is it the job of every writer for any large conglomerate to eat Lebbie's nuts? If they are trying to create resentment, it's working. For me, LBJ is the guy I love to hate.

deadbodyman62
08-15-2008, 03:55 PM
those rankings are all screwed up.

AirJordanXVIII
08-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Why is everyone so high on the Cavs and Magic. The Magic are so overrated now because of Dwight.

BChydro86
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
magic are legit....except no one on that team can play any defense. except pietrus.

cavs are a joke....id put them 6th at best in the east. behind philly, boston, detroit, orlando, and toronto.

AirJordanXVIII
08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Boston
Detroit
Philly/Toronto/Magic
Cavs/Washington...

I put Cavs at the same level as Washington...

Philly, Toronto, and the Magic are all too close to pick apart.

BChydro86
08-15-2008, 11:34 PM
the cavs are better than washington.

theyve beaten them like 3 years in a row in the playoffs. gotta give the cavs the credit they deserve. it may not be much, but theyre better than the wiz.

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 12:39 AM
The Wiz aren't that great to me. They've been in the same position for the last 4 years it seems, yet people always want to have them winning their division or being a "contender" in the playoffs.

No Post Threat = No Conference Finals ) *unless someone with the last name James plays for you.

HipSlappyJoe
08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
cavs got mo and big z, those are championship players...

end sarcasm.

Iversonfan4life
08-16-2008, 11:02 AM
anybody else see lou will becoming the same type of player as mo but with better D

Shieldsz
08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
haha no. Lou has aspects Mo didn't have, and Mo did thiungs that Lou can never do.

Lou is more of a scoring PG anyway

Sixerlover
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Mo Will IS a scoring PG

Ph1lly Diehard
08-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Mo Williams definitally improves the Cavaliers, however, I still consider them the same level as the Wizards, possibly higher.

I see them as a #5 seed because of expierence, and because of Lebron James.

However, if James goes down, the Cavs go down.

BChydro86
08-16-2008, 03:21 PM
^^^thats a given.

but the cavs arent better than philly, toronto, boston, detroit, or orlando.

i really dont see any situation (barring injuries) where the cavs get into the top 5 in the east.

ryguy553
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Im hearing things like cavs are a joke, and their not even 6th. They were very close to beating the celtics and making the eastern conference finals last year am i missing something??? And they only added to that by acquiring mo williams a legitimate scorer at point guard to go along with their other young guards in gibson and west. Some people are crazy on here.

Iversonfan4life
08-16-2008, 04:21 PM
haha no. Lou has aspects Mo didn't have, and Mo did thiungs that Lou can never do.

Lou is more of a scoring PG anyway

wat? im pretty sure mo is a scoring point guard and wat can mo do that lou cant do?

PhillyLuver
08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Boston-Detroit-Orlando-Philly-Cavs-Raps-Washington-Heat

AirJordanXVIII
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I official think the Sixers/Raptors/Magic/Cavs are now way to hard to pick seed by seed.

BChydro86
08-17-2008, 09:57 PM
i think the sixers, magic, pistons, and raptors are too hard to pick seed by seed.

the cavs are easily at the bottom of that list.

Liney3506
08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
The Cavs can go anywhere from 3rd to out of the playoffs. If LeBron can carry that team, and even get just a little bit of help from his supporting cast, they could surprise.

boston08champs
08-17-2008, 11:41 PM
the cleveland cavaliers do not exist its lebron and company

txravis12
08-18-2008, 05:27 AM
the cleveland cavaliers do not exist its lebron and company

i thought they changed their name to Lebron and the Lebronettes??

DaddyCool
08-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Boston
Detroit
Philly/Toronto/Magic
Cavs/Washington...

I put Cavs at the same level as Washington...

Philly, Toronto, and the Magic are all too close to pick apart.

I don't think Toronto is up with Philly and Magic. I think Washington and Orlando should be switched. Washington when healthy has one of the most dominant big 3 in the East, I'd probably say right behind Boston. I think they'll manage to stay healthy this year and win the southwest. The magic lack no defense whatsoever. They have Pietrus and Dwight but the others on the team act like they've never even heard of the zone defense and shitz. Yea.... I guess this is what we will be posting from now to the new season since Iggy is basically resigned.

Lundbelievable
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't think Toronto is up with Philly and Magic. I think Washington and Orlando should be switched. Washington when healthy has one of the most dominant big 3 in the East, I'd probably say right behind Boston. I think they'll manage to stay healthy this year and win the southwest. The magic lack no defense whatsoever. They have Pietrus and Dwight but the others on the team act like they've never even heard of the zone defense and shitz. Yea.... I guess this is what we will be posting from now to the new season since Iggy is basically resigned.

It doesn't matter if you have 3 real good players on one team(remember the Wizards 10 yrs ago when they had Webber/Richmond, Juwan Howard and Rod Strickland? they were garbage together)

The Magic have a pretty nice big 3 themselves(and u can argue that its better than Washington's. Its gonna take like 50+ games to win the Southeast and I dont think the Wizards will get up that high. The most games you guys have won w/ a big 3 is like 45 or 47. And with the SE division( along w/ the whole Conference) a lot better, you think you can win 50 games? Lets be real.

And uh, lastly, if a team is centered on offense they can still be very successful(Phoenix, G.S., the Lakers, Denver, Utah(and the Magic) all averaged over 105 ppg last season and each of them (w/ the Xception of G.S.) won 50 games or more.

DaddyCool
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Uh, yea the Wizards can win 50 games if healthy. On the other hand, Orlando last year only won 52 games because they beat up on a weakened division. Washington lost Gilbert, Pat Riley was playing D-leaguers to tank the season, and the Bobcats are still the bocats. Atlanta improved but they sucked on the road. The Wizards are just better IMO when healthy. The health is a big question but if they pull it off they will be very tough to beat.

AirJordanXVIII
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I would not be suprised if the Wizards get the #4 seed. They have the talent. You guys can keep putting down Arenas, but he's one of the top scorers and is CLUUUUUUUUUUUUTCH. Jamison isnt your traditional power foward, but he puts up 20-10 and has three point range. Butler is serisouly underrated. Does everything well....

MylesKong
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Uh, yea the Wizards can win 50 games if healthy. On the other hand, Orlando last year only won 52 games because they beat up on a weakened division. Washington lost Gilbert, Pat Riley was playing D-leaguers to tank the season, and the Bobcats are still the bocats. Atlanta improved but they sucked on the road. The Wizards are just better IMO when healthy. The health is a big question but if they pull it off they will be very tough to beat.

You may have forgotten about a little spectacled gentlemen that will be coaching this team by the name of Larry Brown. Don't sleep on the Cats. I believe they are poised to make a strong push this season.

txravis12
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
bobcats are in the playoffs this year 8th seed

BChydro86
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
dont really see how the bobcats make it.

theyre not better than miami or the bulls. and the only team i can see falling out of the playoffs this year would be atlanta.

txravis12
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
the reason i think the bobcats make the playoffs is because of larry brown. hes on the kind of team he wants to coach. a young talented team with unlimited potential. he is known for his quick turnarounds of bad teams to put them in the playoffs. i think he will do it again.

BChydro86
08-18-2008, 07:46 PM
well....with no true center, and a streaky shooter like j-rich.

they are actually very limited on potential....outside of okafor, felton, and augustine, there really is no young potential on that team. i doubt they win more than 35 games this season.

larry brown is a great coach, but i cant seeing him taking that team into the playoffs. j-rich is good when he is on, but hes nothing special. okafor is a beast, but that team needs a 7-footer who can score so that okafor can play the 4.

ultimatley theyre not better than the bulls or the heat. and theyre prolly not as good as atlanta or indiana either.

PhillyPhanatic3
08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
id say the 4 seed is pretty accurate. i could see us anywhere between the 4 seed and the 6 seed. no way the sixers get lower than a 6 seed.

Sixerlover
08-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Who falls out of the playoffs for the Heat / Bobcats to make it in? I think that the teams will be the exact same, maybe different positions, but the same teams.

MylesKong
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Who falls out of the playoffs for the Heat / Bobcats to make it in? I think that the teams will be the exact same, maybe different positions, but the same teams.

Pistons. Yeah, I said it! You read it here first.

AirJordanXVIII
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I dont see why the Bobcats cant make it in as a #8 seed. What do you mean BChydro when they have limited potential? Okafor can still get an inside game to become a Dwight Howard like player, and Felton is a possible 20-8 guy in the future....

Okafor, Felton, J-Rich, G-Wall are one of the best foursomes.......

Birds215
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
does Adam Morrison not count as a good player for the Bobcats anymore?

MylesKong
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
does Adam Morrison not count as a good player for the Bobcats anymore?

He never was. At Gonzaga? Well, that's a different story...

Larry Brown tends to get the best out of his big men. With the contract Okie got I suspect ol' LB has a plan for the big man and I expect Okafur to have a breakout year to match his contract...if he can stay healthy. J-Rich is a premier 2, like it or not. Felton is a good point guard. I'm pretty sure we lose most of the games against them when he plays. I think the stat sheet filler, Gerald Wallace, can compete at the 4, atleast to the level of Josh Smith, Marion and somewhat like Jamison. They are missing a 3 but if Morrison can play they shouldn't be that bad. I just think they can be as good as ATL last season...****, look at what we competed with!

They might not make the top 8 in east, but it's not out of the question.

I think Det takes a huge dive this year...HUGE! Where can I put money on this?

Sixerlover
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
why is that by the way? I mean they had the 2nd best record in the NBA last year. You think they'd go from that to being out of the playoffs?

MylesKong
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Here are several of my reasons:

New coach.
Getting old.
Dumars is looking to break them up.
Tayshaun is playing in Beijing (no real off-season will wear on him).
Chauncey, to me, just doesn't look like he still has it.
Dumars is looking to the future, so getting a good draft pick this year may be more important than a successful season.

BChydro86
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I dont see why the Bobcats cant make it in as a #8 seed. What do you mean BChydro when they have limited potential? Okafor can still get an inside game to become a Dwight Howard like player, and Felton is a possible 20-8 guy in the future....

love felton and okafor...the rest of the team? Not so much. They literally have no bench. And j rich is only good when his shot is falling. wallace could have been a Bruce Bowen type defender, but he's become to focused on offense over the years.

I think the teams in the playoffs will be the same, except the bulls are gonna replace Atlanta at number 8

AirJordanXVIII
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Too focused on offense "over the years" ???

The guy had like 2 + steals and blocks per game two years ago. As a small foward. Dont bring up that stats or overrated stuff. This guy has good anticipation and great hands...

Lundbelievable
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Okafor will NEVER EVER be like Dwight. Seriously. EVER. Andrew Bogut will be better than Okafor. Okafor will never put up a 20-10 season. Ever.

And yea, those 4 seem nice on paper, but they just can't win games. Last year proved that. They aren't proven winners. Xpect 32-38 wins this season. No playoffs. Why?

B/C Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando and Washington will all still brutally dominate Charlotte. They could all sweep you either 3-0 or 4-0 And Miami, Indiana, Atlanta and Milwaukee aren't pushovers either. Its gonna take 37-40 games to get the 8th seed. Its a stretch to put Charlotte in their above the likes of Indiana and Atlanta.

MylesKong
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Okafor will NEVER EVER be like Dwight. Seriously. EVER. Andrew Bogut will be better than Okafor. Okafor will never put up a 20-10 season. Ever.

And yea, those 4 seem nice on paper, but they just can't win games. Last year proved that. They aren't proven winners. Xpect 32-38 wins this season. No playoffs

Sound logic in a redundant sort of way. Larry Brown has nothing to do with last year, dunny.

Iversonfan4life
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
no way the pistons dont make the playoffs. i think they have at least 2 more runs left in them

Sixerlover
08-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah I don't get that. You expect the Pistons to lose 20+ more games than last year? That's what they'll need to miss the playoffs.

Lundbelievable
08-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Sound logic in a redundant sort of way. Larry Brown has nothing to do with last year, dunny.

Doesn't matter. The East is still way too powerful for the Bobcats to make the playoffs. Heck, you could make the case that they could finish last in their division(yes, behind Orlando, Washington, Atlanta and Miami)
And Dunny? whatthehell?

Sixerlover
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I think they will finish last in that division. Too deep for them top to bottom

Googlyeyes101
08-24-2008, 11:15 PM
people shouldn't count the heat out with what appears to be the old D-Wade back...

Liney3506
08-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but they still don't have much to work with. Their interior is pretty bad, no PG. All they have is an unproven rookie, a SF who can't create his own shot, and D-Wade.

AirJordanXVIII
08-25-2008, 10:27 AM

And yea, those 4 seem nice on paper, but they just can't win games. Last year proved that. They aren't proven winners. Xpect 32-38 wins this season. No playoffs. Why?

B/C Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando and Washington will all still brutally dominate Charlotte. They could all sweep you either 3-0 or 4-0 And Miami, Indiana, Atlanta and Milwaukee aren't pushovers either. Its gonna take 37-40 games to get the 8th seed. Its a stretch to put Charlotte in their above the likes of Indiana and Atlanta.

??? Ever ??? He's been hovering around 15-10 his whole career. THe rebounds will be there. The points may come along as he develops a inside game. Saying he'll never is an ignorant comment.

Lundbelievable
08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
??? Ever ??? He's been hovering around 15-10 his whole career. THe rebounds will be there. The points may come along as he develops a inside game. Saying he'll never is an ignorant comment.

He'll never have the same impact being on the court as Dwight Howard has now. He may have averaged almost two blocks per game this season, but opposing guards still look to drive str8 to the paint whenever he happens to be there. Is this the same with Howard? Ehh, not so much...

However, referring to the Xpression "never say never", I guess it is possible that Bogut could reach and even Xceed Howard as a player. But I wouldn't bet on it.

BADizzleBoY
08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Who is comparing him to dwight? He is nothing like dwight, and yes eventually okafor will avg 20/10... he hasnt even begun to touch his prime yet, and wtf are you even talking about how guards drive on him in the lane, :confused:

AirJordanXVIII
08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Dwight Howard LIKE player. Never said he'd be a clone of him. A Dwight Howard like player is someone who grabs tons of boards, blocks shots and scores 20+.... I said like, because Okafor probably will never be that guy who gets 25 every other day.

Brotherly Love
08-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Okafor might not have the same impact as Howard in the NBA but he definitely can put up 20-10 seasons. Like one said the rebounds are there. Points will come.

Concerning Charlotte, I think they could be better than Atlanta this year coz the Hawks are one of the few teams who haven't made any significant move and lost a major player (Childress).

Hey Liney don't count out the Heat yet. They could go small in their lineup playing Marion PF or C and Beasley SF or PF. With the Olympic version of Wade, they just need a decent PG to create match ups problems.

MylesKong
08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Okafor might not have the same impact as Howard in the NBA but he definitely can put up 20-10 seasons. Like one said the rebounds are there. Points will come.

Concerning Charlotte, I think they could be better than Atlanta this year coz the Hawks are one of the few teams who haven't made any significant move and lost a major player (Childress).

Hey Liney don't count out the Heat yet. They could go small in their lineup playing Marion PF or C and Beasley SF or PF. With the Olympic version of Wade, they just need a decent PG to create match ups problems.

Does anyone here think Marion can play center? :cricket:
That's what I thought...

txravis12
08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Does anyone here think Marion can play center? :cricket:
That's what I thought...

what is the role of a center??? to stop the other center and pull down rebounds, correct?? how in the hell would a guy like dalembert play d on marion? or how bout perkins?? he would create HUGE mismatches.. that being said i don't think he could stop any of the above players either so basically it's a wash.
that being said it's highly unlikely that they play marion at center

Brotherly Love
08-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I remember in the past Garnett playing Center with the Wolves. Except the fact that he's more skilled than Marion in the post and offensively in general, they both are top athletes.

ps: MylesKong, FYI Marion played C wiith he suns in the past when they would go small. It was ither him, either Diaw. The fact is he was designed C in some games by D'Antoni even if he doesn't play like a typical one. What do u ask ur C mainly? Rebounds and Defense and the guy provided both. He ain't The Matrix for nuthin'

Lundbelievable
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I remember in the past Garnett playing Center with the Wolves. Except the fact that he's more skilled than Marion in the post and offensively in general, they both are top athletes.

ps: MylesKong, FYI Marion played C wiith he suns in the past when they would go small. It was ither him, either Diaw. The fact is he was designed C in some games by D'Antoni even if he doesn't play like a typical one. What do u ask ur C mainly? Rebounds and Defense and the guy provided both. He ain't The Matrix for nuthin'

Just checking but you HAVE to be talking about the year Stoudemire was injured. I didn't kno that. I learned something ;)

Sixerlover
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Marion wouldn't be able to guard anything. He wouldn't be able to stop SG/SF's from driving because he is the same height as them, and on the opposing side if he's not hitting his jumper he's useless because a zone stops any one on one BS they'd try with him at C

Not a good idea overall. P.S KG is 7'0 Marion is what 6'8 ? Big difference

AirJordanXVIII
08-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Call me freaking crazy, but I'm starting to like Okafor more than Howard

Rebounds - basically the same (not going on stats)

Points - Howard at 20 (Okafor at 15 so he can catch up)

Blocks - Basically the same

Post game - Def Howard

FG% - SLightly Howard

Anything thing else isnt really important if you a center...

Is Howard better than Okafor? Yes
Can Okafor catch up? Yes

People get caught way to much in Howard's 30-20 games... yes he's a monster, but Okafor is right there putting up 20-20.

MylesKong
08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
BL,
Reggie Evans played center at spots (being biggest Sixer on court) and I think Thad may have had spot minutes too when we went small. This doesn't mean they can play center. Centers, besides just playing D(too broad) and rebounding, intimidate opposing drivers and block shots from weakside, overall protect the basket. How's Marion protecting the basket? Plus, the Suns don't play D. He was in there to cause problems for the opposing C defensively.

AJ23,
Okafor spent 4 years at UConn. Howard came out of high school. Howard should be the one catching up. Howard is worlds overall. Imagine if Howard went to college for 4 years. He'd just be coming out. If Howard had no offense around him his number would be higher too.

Sixerlover
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Yep. And Dwight isn't as injury prone which is a huge plus.

This is honestly one of the times where I can say I was wrong personnel wise. I was laughing at the Dwight over Emeka pick in the '04 draft because I thought it was stupid :pity:

MylesKong
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Yep. And Dwight isn't as injury prone which is a huge plus.

This is honestly one of the times where I can say I was wrong personnel wise. I was laughing at the Dwight over Emeka pick in the '04 draft because I thought it was stupid :pity:

I didn't laugh, but I definitely thought Okie shoulda went first. Oh boy, was I wrong!

AirJordanXVIII
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Okafor and Dwight was a toss up for me back then.

MylesKong
08-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Seems like it still is based on what you wrote above. No?

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2008, 02:29 PM

honest to god, all i did that draft was pray that we picked Iggy and stay away from childress (i hated the fro, he just looks like a *****, great player, but a *****)

as soon as childress was off the board i remember dancin around the house... dont get me wrong, childress was a good role player in this league, but he aint iggy, i knew iggy was gonna be dope.

Sixerlover
08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah I remember that too. I didn't want Deng though, I wanted Iggy. And my mom was actually watching with me and was like "is he black?? How the **** do you pronounce his name?"

:laugh2:

Philly Gringo
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
honest to god, all i did that draft was pray that we picked Iggy and stay away from childress (i hated the fro, he just looks like a *****, great player, but a *****)

as soon as childress was off the board i remember dancin around the house... dont get me wrong, childress was a good role player in this league, but he aint iggy, i knew iggy was gonna be dope.

ANDRE IGUODALA CAN'T SHOOT!

Nothing personal but I think it's funny how much of an Iggy guy you were/are but your sig has the phrase "ANDRE IGUODALA CAN'T SHOOT - Here's the Proof!" Are you just being sarcastic? What am I missing here? LOL