PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Eastern Conference - SI

IndyFan
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Another look at the eastern conference. this one from marty burns of SI.

With the NBA in full summer mode, it's a good time to take a look at how teams stack up right now. First up is a snapshot of the Eastern Conference, followed by the West later this week.

It's extremely difficult to get a read on the East, especially the bottom half. Nearly every team that finished out of the playoffs last season looks improved, with no obvious doormats. The battle for the No. 8 spot could be very tight among a handful of teams.

Here's a look at how we see it at the moment, with the caveat that the view could change between now and the start of training camp in October:

1. Celtics:

2. Cavaliers: Even before Wednesday's acquisition of Mo Williams (via a trade with the Bucks), they would rank here simply because of LeBron James. He showed last year in the playoffs that he's good enough almost by himself to take the Celtics to seven games. Williams, acquired in a three-way deal that sent Joe Smith to Oklahoma City, should be a significant upgrade at the point. Plus, the Cavs are one of the NBA's toughest defensive teams under Mike Brown, and their core lineup -- shuffled by a major deal at last season's trade deadline - was starting to gel at the end of last season.

3. Magic:
4. 76ers:
5. Wizards:
6. Pistons:
7. Raptors:
8. Pacers:
9. Hawks:
10. Bobcats:
11. Heat:

12. Bucks: New GM John Hammond has made two big trades already, acquiring Richard Jefferson from the Nets (for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons) and Luke Ridnour from Oklahoma City (for Williams and Desmond Mason). Jefferson, along with new coach Scott Skiles, should help improve a woeful Bucks defense. Ridnour has potential as a distributor, and he comes with a better contract, but he's not much of a defender and he's not a scorer like Williams. With Jefferson, Michael Redd, Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva, Milwaukee apparently felt it already had enough firepower. The trick will be just how fast Skiles can implement his system, and whether there is enough bulk in the frontcourt.

13. Bulls:
14. Nets:
15. Knicks:

marty burns (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/13/east.rankings/1.html)

:)

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I am glad they think highly of us, I like to think we could be at number 2.

lovingTO
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Detroit at 6? Toronto at 7? Inddy over the bucks, hawks, or bobcats?

This writer is wack. I like cleveland, but I'll say they're a 4 seat at best. The east has become pretty tough overnight.

lovingTO
08-15-2008, 01:48 PM
and how could i forget about the heat & bulls.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Detroit at 6? Toronto at 7? Inddy over the bucks, hawks, or bobcats?

This writer is wack. I like cleveland, but I'll say they're a 4 seat at best. The east has become pretty tough overnight.

Detroit and Boston are the only two teams that will have a better record then Cleveland.

So obviously I don't think we are a 2 seed, but it's possible.

Indiana isn't as bad as people think, the Bucks and Hawks are borderline 8th seed just like the Pacers are. Bobcats aren't there yet.

Cavs_Fan24
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
i think it'll be something like this:
1-Boston
2-Cleveland (pending a mid-season aquisition)
3-76ers
4-Detroit
5-Toronto
6-Magic (i dont think Dwight Howard wont be enough for them to consistently win games this year)
7-Wizards
8-Indy, Charlotte, or Atlanta (prob. ATL)

EdTheRevelator
08-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I still don't think Cleveland will win more regular season games than Detroit, but I'm fully confident we can take them in a 7 game series.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-17-2008, 01:18 AM
I still don't think Cleveland will win more regular season games than Detroit, but I'm fully confident we can take them in a 7 game series.

I think this years series between Celtics and Cavaliers should be even better, especially considering we have at least one more trade up our sleeve to finalize the team for a few years.