PDA

View Full Version : Youk developing into a power hitter?

acecrusher06
08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Ever since the Manny trade, Youk has really stepped up his production and power. He's always been a good player with a good glove, solid bat, plate patience but now he's developing some serious power.

Do you guys think he can develop into a prototypical slugging first basemen?

IceMan360
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
U know what this actual crossed my mind LOL i remember after youk's first year I remember thinking wow he's a good hitter and he plays great "D" but he needs more power to be a regular corner infielder. Now he's just amazing, he hit monster blast plus has a high avarege. I see alot more allstar games for youk

sboyajian
08-15-2008, 11:20 AM
The bigger question is, can he keep it up and not sink into his post break slump.

papipapsmanny
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
he has always had he has just changed his approach at the plate a bit

Crucis
08-15-2008, 01:49 PM
U know what this actual crossed my mind LOL i remember after youk's first year I remember thinking wow he's a good hitter and he plays great "D" but he needs more power to be a regular corner infielder. Now he's just amazing, he hit monster blast plus has a high avarege. I see alot more allstar games for youk

It might get a little tougher for Youk to keep winning Gold Gloves if Texiera stays in the AL. Ditto for winning the starting 1B job for the ASG. Still, if he keeps this up, I'm sure that he'll see plenty of ASG's, even if it's as a non-starter... although given how many ASG starters the Sox often have, it is a bit tougher for Sox position players to get to the ASG as backups.

Regarless, your real point is spot on. Youk is going to be a star in this game for years to come, whether it's at 1B or 3B. And I suspect that given how great defender at 1B he's become, if he got switched to 3B full time, I think that his 3B defensive skills would improve as well.

kazzy4080
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
i love the YOUKA

but he seems to be developing into a power hitter, maybe he'll start having 30-35 home run years which would be sweet especially if he can keep batting in the 300s with an OBP close to 400

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I think the power is just a natural part of player development. He's always had some but he's now in the proverbial "hitter's prime".

I'd be careful about overplaying a hot streak, though. If you looked at the first 15 days in May he had almost identical numbers (more HR, fewer doubles).

The Intimidator
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Let's not confuse Youk for the second coming of Albert Pujols here. He has hit for more power, but as redsoxtober said, he is just hitting his prime as a hitter. He isn't by any means turning into a slugger. He'll most likely end up around 30 home runs, but I wouldn't look at Youk and say "Here's our cleanup hitter".

BRNXBOMBERS555
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Youkilis IMO is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball...now that Manny is gone...Youk is the one I do not want to see at the plate...he has always been a really tough out and now with his added power...very dangerous hitter...and IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT

The Intimidator
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
^^^You would rather see Papi at the plate than Youk?

captaintek33
08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Youkilis IMO is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball...now that Manny is gone...Youk is the one I do not want to see at the plate...he has always been a really tough out and now with his added power...very dangerous hitter...and IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT

That may be over stating it a bit. IMO, he's the third or fourth best hitter on the Red Sox! Ortiz and Bay are both better, and you can argue that Drew (boy, it hurt me to say that!) is better, too. A case could also be made for Lowell....

He's definitely improving his power numbers, but I would expect him to be a 23-28 HR per year guy for the next couple years, if that. Remember, Wade Boggs had one season when he hit, like 23 HRs, but (iirc) he never hit more than 20 any other year. Youk, IMO, is a Boggs-type hitter...

Still, it's nice to see him breaking out!

BRNXBOMBERS555
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
im telling you IMO that youk scares me more then ortiz...I know Ortiz is nutty against the yanks but late in the game I think Marte could do ok with Ortiz....Youk is tough on everyone...and I disagree about bay being better then youkilis ...but its just my thoughts...you guys see them more often then me

kazzy4080
08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
i put youk ahead of ortiz right now unless he keep up his numbers from his last 3 games

The Intimidator
08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
im telling you IMO that youk scares me more then ortiz...I know Ortiz is nutty against the yanks but late in the game I think Marte could do ok with Ortiz....Youk is tough on everyone...and I disagree about bay being better then youkilis ...but its just my thoughts...you guys see them more often then me

I know that Marte struck Papi out in that Saturday game back in July, but the guy is 0-2 with an 11.05 ERA with the Yankees. The Yankees signed Mike Myers in 2006 for the purpose of facing Ortiz, and Papi still took him deep. I think Papi could handle Marte, the way he's hitting right now, and the way Marte is pitching right now.

coltsfan11
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm watching Youkilis very closely because it's starting to look like he was staying under Manny's shadow. I like his swing a little better than Ramirez's actually. He takes quicker cuts at the ball, and doesn't always swing for the stands. He takes certain pitches and pitch counts under consideration and then chooses whether or not to go after a home run ball. He's definitely smarter than Manny that's for sure. I like the way he can hit anywhere that he wants to. I also like his stance at the plate for some reason. I know it sounds strange but to me I think it makes the pitcher be a little more careful throwing the ball up and in. But maybe that's just me. I would agree with the statement that Youkilis is developing into a better power hitter, not a known power hitter in the league but an average power hitter.

myersb68
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
>Youk, IMO, is a Boggs-type hitter...

Youk is nothing like Boggs, who was a slap hitter with occasional gap power and the one freaky season with 23 HR, which he never again approached.

Interestingly, Youk has changed his approach at the plate this year, adopting a more aggressive style. Last year he walked in 12.3% of his plate appearances, and struck out in 16.8%, numbers which were broadly in line with his career to date.

THIS year, however, his walk frequency is down by quite a lot (to 8.6%) and his K frequency is up a tick (to 17.5%). So he's become more aggressive looking for the pitch to hit. It's my guess that this is the source of a great deal of the added power. He's become a little less choosy and a little less worried about striking out, and he's hitting with greater authority as a result.

Dirty Dirk41
08-15-2008, 05:36 PM
i dont kno whats going on. Youk imo is not a power hitter. Hes just a flat out pure hitter with occaisonal power. Hope he can continue on this path. Hes been a FREAK. Our whole team is just on fire, Hope we can keep it going against the Jays.

BRNXBOMBERS555
08-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Im not saying that Ortiz is not a monster at the plate against the yankees...he has hit some big shots against us but youkilis is a much harder out...I dont know if there is a pitch that you cant get him out with...Ortiz just punishes pitchers who miss there target...Youk can hit your best pitch...thats all im saying...and Im not saying Marte is going to strike Ortiz out everytime...but you have to admit there first meeting was all Marte...Ortiz didnt even look close against him...I got all the respect in the world for Ortiz...Trust me...the guy is a great hitter...but youkilis just seems to be a pitchers nightmare IMO

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
^^ Wasn't that right around the time he came back from his injury? Because he just recently got back his timing against Texas...

BRNXBOMBERS555
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
^^ Wasn't that right around the time he came back from his injury? Because he just recently got back his timing against Texas...

Wow...lets just drop the Marte strikeout...the whole point was I think Youkilis is a tougher hitter to get out...for example you couldnt put a shift on a hitter like Youkilis like they do for Ortiz.

Red_Sox_89
08-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I love watchin Youk hit. He's a got a quick, live bat, and he's startin to learn how to use the green monster to his advantage

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Honestly hate watching him in the box, he fidgets, slides his hands up the bat, then down , he does jump rope, then arse bounces, he makes all kinds of faces and worst is he drips sweat like a water fountain...... but he hits the crap out of the ball.
He does more gyrations than a pole dancer.

API is the reason for his power and better stamina. He works at it. He is a bonifide tell'em he isnt good at it he proves you wrong type. (like pedy)

Watching him hit though, painful. More painful for pitchers though. :D
He is like Dicek is pitching.

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Ever since the Manny trade, Youk has really stepped up his production and power. He's always been a good player with a good glove, solid bat, plate patience but now he's developing some serious power.

No. I see him as being a 20-30 homerun guy tops.

DaaBoTownSox
08-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Honestly hate watching him in the box, he fidgets, slides his hands up the bat, then down , he does jump rope, then arse bounces, he makes all kinds of faces and worst is he drips sweat like a water fountain...... but he hits the crap out of the ball.
He does more gyrations than a pole dancer.

API is the reason for his power and better stamina. He works at it. He is a bonifide tell'em he isnt good at it he proves you wrong type. (like pedy)

Watching him hit though, painful. More painful for pitchers though. :D
He is like Dicek is pitching.

I love that explanation lol.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow...lets just drop the Marte strikeout...the whole point was I think Youkilis is a tougher hitter to get out...for example you couldnt put a shift on a hitter like Youkilis like they do for Ortiz.

Well, I do agree a bit on the part where Youk might be harder to get out, because Youk has a better eye and strikes out less. [Might be wrong on that but eh, I'm too lazy to look it up]

athlete9393
08-18-2008, 12:11 AM
:clap:

i like it, there lineup is perfect because each guy can do more than one thing?
1.drew power and leads off with good linedrive hitting
2.lowrie contact and has some speed while getting rbis faster than lugo
3.ortiz, clutch and power and can even bunt if you remember that,plus he is the meat in the order.
4.bay. power contact and has decent speed while giveng the top of the order some compliments.
5. youk. great on base percentage and can hit for power and contact, the only hting he lacks is speed.
6.pedroia, a green monster maniac he hits more balls off the green monster and even putx them over with some speed and has great contact, a double and single machine
7. ellsbury. great speed and contact and has shown a little power but should really continue speed and contact. sinlges are fine with him
8. v-tek. switch hits and brings leadership, he is fine as long as he doesn't try and do too much.
9. lowell-hits for pwer and a linedrive beast, he also comes through in the clutch and uses the monster very well. he is anohter double machine.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-18-2008, 03:39 PM
He's stepped up a lot in terms of each part of his game. He's gradually become a .300 BA with a high slugging and on base percentage. The power is just another perk of his continuing growth. I would love to see him hit 30 this year.