PDA

View Full Version : ejected red sox fan talk of the town

futureheisman
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Ejected Red Sox fan is talk of the town
Steve Buckley By Steve Buckley
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - Updated 18h ago

The Red Sox [team stats] are sticking with their story that they were justified in ejecting a 16-year-old Waltham teen from Fenway Park [map] Tuesday night for what they believe was interference with a ball hit to the center field bleachers by slugger David Ortiz [stats].

In the fifth inning of the Sox’ wild 19-17 victory against the Texas Rangers, Ortiz - who already had hit two home runs in the game - sent a shot to center. Steve Falzone, who was seated in the front row of Section 35, wound up with the ball after it had popped out of the glove of another fan who was seated nearby.

The other fan, 14-year-old Eli Norris of Hanover, agreed that he tried to glove the ball on top of the wall, but that it glanced off the side of his mitt, with Falzone getting it on the rebound.

But the umpiring crew working the game saw it differently. Believing a fan reached over the wall and grabbed the ball when it was still in play, Ortiz was credited with a fan-interference double. He wound up scoring on a home run by Kevin Youkilis [stats].

Once fan interference was called, Fenway Park security officials sought out Falzone and ejected him from the park. He was with two female friends, Alex Guelli and Olivia Creonte, both 16 and from Waltham.

A Red Sox official said Fenway Park security chief Charles Cellucci “saw the replay four times” and determined that Falzone had interfered with the play. The Sox official said Cellucci saw Falzone “reach for the ball with his glove.”

However, it was Norris, not Falzone, who had a glove. Norris was not ejected. Replays from NESN are inconclusive. The Red Sox said Cellucci was not available for comment.

While Falzone spent most of yesterday doing media interviews, his mother, Terry Falzone, was left to wonder why the Red Sox would toss a 16-year-old out to the street in the middle of a game.

“We’re all Red Sox fans right from the start,” she said. “That’s not going to change. And Steven said the security people treated him with respect. They even asked him if he had a ride home. But I’m very disappointed they they would put a 16-year-old out on Lansdowne Street.

“People are out there on the street drinking,” she said. “What if some drunk had said, ‘Oh, you’re the kid who caught that ball,’ and a fight had started? If some fan had beat him up out there on the street, we’d be having a different conversation right now. I don’t know why they couldn’t have had them wait in an office until I could pick them up.”

Members of the Falzone family contacted the Red Sox yesterday asking that they offer tickets to another game, but the request was denied.

“They called back and said if they did anything, it would undermine the umpires,” Steven Falzone said.

Terry Falzone, however, wasn’t satisfied.

“This is the first year we’ve let him go to Red Sox games with someone older being with him,” she said. “One of the girls’ cousins was supposed to pick them up. Tickets are really hard to get, and this was going to be a big night for them. And he gets thrown out of one of the most exciting games of the year.

“I saw it on TV,” she said. “I said, ‘Oh, my God, that’s my Steven.’ I finally got him on his cell phone, and I told him to stay there until I drove in and got them.”

With his ejection from Fenway Park having been reported in yesterday’s Herald, Falzone was busy hearing from Sox fans, friends and media types.

“My phone has been ringing off the hook,” he said. “I’ve had newspapers come to my house. I’ve done radio interviews. Everyone wants to know what happened.”

If the ball landed on top of the wall - as Norris, Falzone and other fans in Section 35 attest - Falzone and his friends were wrongly evicted from Fenway Park [map] because of an incorrect call by the umpires.

But even if the ball was in play, it’s likely Falzone was still wrongly ejected from the park. Both Falzone and Norris agree that it was Norris, wearing the glove, who had first contact with the ball. Falzone merely collected the rebound.

If nothing else, Falzone has a keepsake from his Fenway adventure - the ball hit by Ortiz.

“It’s something I’ll always cherish,” he said. “Someday, I’m going to get him to sign it for me.

I think this is pathenic why would you eject a 16 year old boy for trying to catch a line drive that was going out anyway. This is bad i hope more people complain

IceMan360
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
^^^i dont see why ur mad bro, the redsoxs are in the right. Ur not suppose to mess with a ball in play thats why its called fan interferance, lucky for the kid we won lol. The security even made sure he had a ride home so this is a non issue

ERLynx
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with Ice. If I had front row seats i would make sure to keep my hands inside the ride at all times just to make SURE i wasnt ejected.

Cronin
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
All I know is that should have been called a homerun..

redsox4life2434
08-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with Ice. If I had front row seats i would make sure to keep my hands inside the ride at all times just to make SURE i wasnt ejected.

i dont know...i dont think ejecting him was justified. That ball was inches away from being a homerun. They shouldnt of thrown him out. I would go for a ball coming right at me too.

Towelie
08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
It should of been a HR, there for how can it be fan interference? It's not like the kid did anything different than what anyone of us would of done. You see a ball coming at you and your natural reaction if to catch it.

futureheisman
08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
why would you eject a KID on that it was inches from being a homerun. This is a minor who idd this it is pathenic what the red sox did and derserve to be getting @#$% for this. i think this kid should get a full refund or a ticket to a future game.

acecrusher06
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
it was funny how he got kicked out lol

Dirty Dirk41
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM

.i would of done the same thing...Its a David Ortiz home run. Id be doing anything to get it. He shouldnt have been ejected

Padres Son
08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Between Steve Bartman, Jeffrey Meyer, and now this kid, I wouldn't touch the ball either.

NESports2004
08-15-2008, 01:42 PM
if it was gunna be a homerun then what did he do wrong?

I was pissed i have ortiz in my homerun league three from him woulda been awesome.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
^^ No need to call the dude a homo, assface. Between Steve Bartman, Jeffrey Meyer, and now this kid, I wouldn't touch the ball either.

:clap: It's not like the rules about fan interference are unknown. The obvious cases are pretty well publicized and the damn rules are announced before every game. The "KID" is less than 2 yrs from being a legal adult and I doubt very much he's incapable of understanding what was going on.

futureheisman
08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
The secruity staff looked at it 4 TIMES to determine if this kid should have been kicked out. It is totally wrong it was a homerun. They made a horrible decision to throw this kid out.

WilymoPena
08-15-2008, 10:20 PM
What is the Sox problem? they f'ed up give the kid a couple tix and a autographed bat and put all this behind you

gcoll
08-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Did he get to keep the ball?

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 08:46 AM
When you sit near a wall there are signs posted on every nook and cranny telling you not to interfere.

But then again with a ball coming at you it's hard to remember what that sign said. :D

BTownTeamsRKing
08-16-2008, 09:19 AM
u know somethin, i dont know why people have brains. they dont use them anyways, we just go by the letter of the rule. THINK OF HOW STUPID OF A REASON WHY YOU ARE RUINING THIS KID'S NIGHT.

honestly, this pisses me off. the ball was comming at him. its a natural thing to go after it.

there are a few reasons why i think ejecting him was so ****en stupid.

1. HE's a KID at a BALL GAME who reached for OMG, a BALL!!!! lucky for him, hes not gettiing the death penalty.

2. ok its fan inteference, so you telling me Ortiz would have been on 3rd if the kid didnt touch it??? NO WAY. the same result would have happened. imo i dont think it was HR anyways.

3. this reason really pisses me off. they dont want to make up for it bc it will UNDERMINE THE UMPIRE. the ump can F himself. who gives a damn about making him look bad? i certainly dont.

4. last, even if they want to follow this stupid ****en rule, THEY GOT THE WRONG KID!!!! so back to reason 3. they dont want undermine the umpire who made the WRONG decision. wow, just how stupid does that sound?

wow just unbeleivable how people think somethimes. does it truly make any sense to put this kid in the street alone bc of this and rob him of seeing the rest of the game.

im a Red Sox fan til the end, but wat a stupid stupid stupid move.

they should say F the umpire decision, (who got it WRONG) give the kid 2 behind homeplate tix and an autograph.

craven fiend
08-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Did anyone actually read the report? It seems as if very few people responding to it, did in fact read it.

The kid got the ball on the rebound from another fan's glove. So the other fan was the responsible party for the interference. If anyone should have been ejected, it should have been the guy with the glove.

And all the kid got out of this is his 15 minutes of fame and a ball that should have been an Ortiz HR.

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
They shouldn't be allowed to eject minors. Let them watch from somewhere else.
I thought it was overkill ....

Screw the umpires they mess up all the time do they get ejected? They made a mistake anyway and how WOULD they know the RS gave them some free seats.

please.....

Rules are meant to be broken.....

BTownTeamsRKing
08-16-2008, 09:47 AM
They shouldn't be allowed to eject minors. Let them watch from somewhere else.
I thought it was overkill ....

Screw the umpires they mess up all the time do they get ejected? They made a mistake anyway and how WOULD they know the RS gave them some free seats.

please.....

Rules are meant to be broken.....

some rules dont belong in existence. i thought wat seperated baseball from other sports is the amount of fan interaction in the game. anyway i pointed everything out nicely in my other post.

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 10:00 AM
some rules dont belong in existence. i thought wat seperated baseball from other sports is the amount of fan interaction in the game. anyway i pointed everything out nicely in my other post.

I agree with the rule , I've watched drunken fans reach out onto the field about a hundred times. But it should be a rule where they can use discretion.

Common sense.

Every situation is different. Fans do interfere at times hence the rule.

futureheisman
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree with the rule , I've watched drunken fans reach out onto the field about a hundred times. But it should be a rule where they can use discretion.

Common sense.

Every situation is different. Fans do interfere at times hence the rule.

exactly

futureheisman
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
minor shouldnt been ejected... You must 18 to be ejected bottom line. They shouldn't give him tickets behing home plate they should give him PLAYOFF TICKETS BEHIND HOMEPLATE. The red sox should be:o what they did was uncalled for.

chomaru
08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
honestly I think the mom is as much to blame, not that I think its a big deal for a 16 year old to be at a game without an adult or whatever but she is acting like fenway park is her personal daycare center...if the kid was breaking the rules at his local mall he would have been thrown out as well...

RedSoxtober
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
honestly I think the mom is as much to blame, not that I think its a big deal for a 16 year old to be at a game without an adult or whatever but she is acting like fenway park is her personal daycare center...if the kid was breaking the rules at his local mall he would have been thrown out as well...

Oh, please. Day care for a 16 yr old??? I used to jump on the train and go to Fenway all the time without my parents. The mom sounded more surprised to find out that it happened and then, naturally, defended her son.

I don't have a problem with the "kid" being kicked out. If he's old enough to drive then he's old enough to understand the rules of being at a game. I think the whole "kid" argument is stupid.

He was wrongly accused, though, and that's what sucks for him. The one who actually interfered should have gotten the boot, not the one who ended up with the ball.

lil'papi
08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh, please. Day care for a 16 yr old??? I used to jump on the train and go to Fenway all the time without my parents. The mom sounded more surprised to find out that it happened and then, naturally, defended her son.

I don't have a problem with the "kid" being kicked out. If he's old enough to drive then he's old enough to understand the rules of being at a game. I think the whole "kid" argument is stupid.

He was wrongly accused, though, and that's what sucks for him. The one who actually interfered should have gotten the boot, not the one who ended up with the ball.

Till it happens to one of yours. lol

Seriously, discretion would go a long way. They should have rules to follow and guidlines , if it's a minor. Also make sure they have a ride BEFORE throwing them streetside.

16 yrs old can certainly understand rules. Just to passify the umpires is plain ol wrong. Hence the replay for HR's coming into effect soon. So should they use replay for fan ejection?

Give'em some new ducats .....

Fenway is ONE expensive baby sitting service. She must be wealthy! :p

RedSoxtober
08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Till it happens to one of yours. lol

Seriously, discretion would go a long way. They should have rules to follow and guidlines , if it's a minor. Also make sure they have a ride BEFORE throwing them streetside.

16 yrs old can certainly understand rules. Just to passify the umpires is plain ol wrong. Hence the replay for HR's coming into effect soon. So should they use replay for fan ejection?

Give'em some new ducats .....

Fenway is ONE expensive baby sitting service. She must be wealthy! :p

I don't have any problem with the security guys using some discretion. What I completely reject is the idea that you don't apply the rules because the person who broke them is 16. He is not a "kid" as is annoying repeated in this thread and he should not skate because of it.

The guards could/should have used some discretion (reaching down over the edge of the wall is one thing...) and should have realized they nailed the wrong person. That I agree with.

Fribbles
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
The Red Sox made a mistake by throwing the kid out. The ball didn't look like it was going to get out but it was one of those type of hits that is just very close to call one way or the other. If that was me and there is a fly ball coming right at me like that was one, you bet your *** im trying to catch that, not for the sake of getting a ball, but for the sake that I don't want that thing to hit me in the face cuz im not allowed to reach 1 inch over the wall or I get kicked outta the game. Say the kid realized right before the ball came to him that he wasn't going to attempt to catch it cuz he didnt wanna be thrown out, then the ball bounces off the top of the wall and smacks the kid and instead of security kicking him out, there rushing him to a near by ambulance, or maybe it doesnt hit the top of the wall it just hits the kid...what do the Red Sox do then?

futureheisman
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
have the red sox responded to this

chomaru
08-18-2008, 05:26 PM

like I said, I dont have a problem with a 16 year old going to the game by himself....my point was that if he breaks the rules at another public place like a mall he would have been kicked out as well. When I said daycare it was just an expression of how parents dump kids (teens) off at public places while they go run errands etc...the mom was the one making the "kid" argument not me.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2008, 07:05 AM
like I said, I dont have a problem with a 16 year old going to the game by himself....my point was that if he breaks the rules at another public place like a mall he would have been kicked out as well. When I said daycare it was just an expression of how parents dump kids (teens) off at public places while they go run errands etc...the mom was the one making the "kid" argument not me.

My comment about the 'kid' argument was a response to the whole thread, not to your post in particular. As for the day care thing, I understand what you're saying I just don't see it applying here.

futureheisman
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Hav the red sox said anything about this

Petertherock
08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
minor shouldnt been ejected... You must 18 to be ejected bottom line. They shouldn't give him tickets behing home plate they should give him PLAYOFF TICKETS BEHIND HOMEPLATE. The red sox should be:o what they did was uncalled for.

Well, first of all there is no guarantee they are going to make the playoffs this year. Chicago/Minnesota are right on our rear end for the wild card and there is no way that we are going to catch Tampa Bay. So just to be on the safe side they should give the kid a ticket for the Yankees series right behind home plate.

They should give him a meet and greet with David Ortiz and give him a signed bat and let him get his ball signed.

I don't agree that minors shouldn't be ejected. If they do something wrong they should be ejected. I certainly wouldn't eject the kid in this situation especially since the kid that was ejected WASN'T EVEN THE KID THAT INTERFERED!!! That is if it was even interference in the first place which I don't think it was.

The Red Sox are in the wrong in this situation and they need to make it right.

futureheisman
08-19-2008, 06:55 PM
yes they do