PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Lineup

smarkow
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
"Leyland said after the game he will bat Magglio Ordonez third and Miguel Cabrera fourth in the order next year."

FINALLY. I actually like Cabrera in the 3 spot, but as i've said in another post, he's so slow, he won't be able to score from first on a double. Magglio will. So in that regard, Cabrera 4th is probalby better. I don't understand why it took Jim so long to make this move. Moving them up in the order also gives them potentially an extra at bat. Plus, i hated having Magglio lead off the 2nd innings when our guys go down 1-2-3. Though that may happen with Cabrera leading off the 2nd next year, Ordonez OBP is this year is .380, and previous years was .434, .350, .359.

"Leyland also said he believes Gary Sheffield will bounce back next season. "I think there's a lot left in him. I still believe he can be a big offensive force for us next year. Get through this year, workout during the winter time, and I think there's a lot of potential there still.""

....Ugh...really?

PJtheDJ
08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Smarkow, I understand the feeling about Sheffield. However, I will hold my judgment on him until he is fully healthy. I believe he still has some value....if healthy. That value might be best suited to ship him somewhere for some bullpen help. Right now, you might not get much in return. But if he gets healthy and goes on a tear, a team in a pennant run might just be willing to give up an arm for a bat. I would bet that he will not be back next year.

Bondomania
08-15-2008, 11:11 AM
as much as i hate it, but it would be nice for him to come in and hit the snot out of the ball in spring training, then shop him then.. I still think he is over-paid..

I like the move though, the 4th batter generally get 50 to 60 more AB's than the number 5 batter.. I like it though, because more times than i can remember Miggy is leading off the second because we get a walk from guillen or something like that, then maggs bounces into a DP or something.. which is frustrating, i think that if Miggy was batting cleanup all year, there is a good chance he could be challenging Hamilton for the rbi lead