PDA

View Full Version : What To Do About The Secondary

futureheisman
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
This secondary does look like @#$% and it dont see it getting any better. It makes me mad to see names like tyroone poole sign elsewhere that could have help us. jon lynch helps a lot i think we need some more help

Lito sheppard-givea 2nd and a future 4th and they will do it.

domique foxworth-a guy who i think would be good for us.

these are two guys that could really help and are better options than what we have. Right now we need to change our defense too more of a blitzing team.

griff141
08-16-2008, 06:32 AM
I think our secondary is going to be just fine with Harrison and Lynch providing they're hard hitting tactics in short yardage situations and Meriweather and Sanders coming in to handle the deep threats. Both Sanders and Meri have the speed to run step for step with most receivers. I think Fernando Bryant could surprise a few people from what I've seen of him during camp and Wheatley has had a solid pre-season. Ellis Hobbs concerns me but lets not forget he played injured all last season. All in all I think we will be a better than average group.

bagwell368
08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Get a grip brother!

Poole is without a doubt one of the worst Pats in uniform since BB got here, glad to see his sorry butt elsewhere.

With a healthy Seymour, and Wilfork ascending to ProBowl heights this year count on 5 offensive players to cover those 3 (Warren isn't too shabby either).

You have two potential Pro Bowlers on the outside, with the surprisingly effective and mature Crable backing them up.

You have the old stalwarts in the middle plus the Jet FA who will make a big impact AND Mayo.

So, all you need is zone coverage for 3.1 seconds out of 4 guys. With the Pats mascerating other teams with a a hugely effective ground game this year, with a few strikes here and there, it's going to be 3rd and long all year. So, pin the ears back on the front 7 and have at them!!

BTownTeamsRKing
08-16-2008, 09:29 AM
idk how ppl can say the secondary is bad.

Ellis Hobbs played injured last year and is actually ahead of Samuel in his development.

Meriweather is a 1st rd pick who saw more and more PT throughout last yr.

James Sanders, not to sold on him, but hes a good player. knows the system and slowly developing into a regular.

Bryant is the veteran CB who BB likes, but we really dk much about him.

Weatley and Wilhite are both rookies who could be good or bad. who knows.

Harrison and Lynch, i dont have to say much about them.

not to mention, we play A LOT of zone.

futureheisman
08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
blitz blitz blitz

MSG34
08-16-2008, 12:48 PM
find the fountain of youth

D-PHINSfan4life
08-16-2008, 01:44 PM
find the fountain of youth

While the strong safety position is really old all BB needs is them to be hard hitters they aren't expected to be ball hawks in this systems. But otherwise they are slowly getting younger but hopefully they aren't lacking on talent (although i wouldn't mind :))

pc4celts39
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Poole is without a doubt one of the worst Pats in uniform since BB got here, glad to see his sorry butt elsewhere.

Are you kidding??? Poole was nasty on the Pats, thats the only reason he is sticking around this long because he has had a long solid career. He was no Ty Law or Samuel but he was an above average cornerback and i believe we won a super bowl with him starting.

bagwell368
08-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Are you kidding??? Poole was nasty on the Pats, thats the only reason he is sticking around this long because he has had a long solid career. He was no Ty Law or Samuel but he was an above average cornerback and i believe we won a super bowl with him starting.

I stand by what I say, here is why:

Roto times notes on Poole:

Player Notes
August 13, 2008
Tyrone Poole has signed with the Broncos, according to The Sporting News. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Our View:The Broncos added him strictly for depth in the secondary, with starters Champ Bailey (hamstring) and Hamza Abdullah (groin) both out of action due to injuries.
July 27, 2008
Tyrone Poole was said to be in for a workout with the Broncos, according to the Rocky Mountain News. He was a member of the Broncos back in 2002, and last played in the NFL with Oakland in 2006.

Our View:He would be brought in strictly for depth if signed by Denver, and would not hold any fantasy value.
March 20, 2006
The Raiders signed Tyrone Poole to a two-year contract Monday to give them added depth in the secondary, according to the AP. Poole played the past three seasons with the Patriots but was limited to six games the last two years because of injuries.
March 16, 2006
The Patriots released Tyrone Poole on Thursday, according to the AP. He has played in only six games the last two years combined due to various injuries.
October 27, 2005
The Patriots placed Tyrone Poole on IR Thursday due to an ankle injury, according to the AP. Poole appeared in just one game this season.

From Bronco papers a few days ago:

Broncos Sign DB Tyrone Poole

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ― The Denver Broncos addressed their injury-riddled defensive secondary on Wednesday by signing 13th-year pro Tyrone Poole.

To make room, the Broncos released fourth-year cornerback Christian Morton.

Poole, who was cut by Houston last summer, has played for Oakland (2006), New England (2003-05), Denver (2002), Indianapolis (1998-2000) and Carolina (1995-97) since entering the NFL as a first-round draft pick by the Panthers in 1995 from Fort Valley State University.

Poole has 18 career interceptions, 121 pass breakups, nine forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries in 142 games, including 112 starts.

During his one season in Denver, Poole played in all 16 games, starting four times and collecting 51 tackles, 10 pass breakups and a forced fumble.

18 picks in 13 years? And how many teams has he played for? Six? This immortal who has 3 picks per team in his career stunk for the Pats, and he stinks now.

Go google the guy - the words injured and IR show up in over 95% of the hits on his name.

IceMan360
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
blitz blitz blitz

i like that idea

tonyd3b54
08-17-2008, 01:09 PM
i really hop ethe pats blitz ALOT we hav 2 of the fastest lb in the nfl in thomas and mayo, yes i said mayo...the guy is a speed demon...

pc4celts39
08-18-2008, 01:18 AM
18 picks in 13 years? And how many teams has he played for? Six? This immortal who has 3 picks per team in his career stunk for the Pats, and he stinks now.

Go google the guy - the words injured and IR show up in over 95% of the hits on his name.

check who started alongside ty law in superbowl 38, i dont think a team can win a superbowl with a guy who "stinks" starting at cornerback

mc6796
08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
It is obvious that the CBs, not the seconary, is the weakest part of the D. But the front seven is amazing, Seymor, Wilfork, Warren, and Vrabel, Mayo, Bruschi, Thomas. Bye far best and most versitile in the league. I think the addition of Lynch makes a big difference. If you had Lynch and Harison on the field at the same time the place to throw will be deep but the CB can give huge cushions, Ellis, to protect agianst the deep ball. I think this could be a record breaking D this year. Of course what the hell do I know, I could be completely wrong.

bagwell368
08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
check who started alongside ty law in superbowl 38, i dont think a team can win a superbowl with a guy who "stinks" starting at cornerback

Really.. you mean stinks compared to you or me? Or stinks compared to the other weak CB's the Pat have had in the other two SB wins?

He's not a HoF, he's not a pro bowler, he was never rated in the top 12 in any year, and he was hurt all the time.

What adjective do you want to put on it? How about sub standard, would that be better? Good

He still stinks.

nep2008
08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Who needs to worry about the secondary??

With a passrush full of probowlers... they wont go deep anyways.

Thomas
Vrable
Seymore
Wilfork
Warren

non pro, but styll good styll

Mayo
Bruschi
Jarvis Green - Best off-da-bench lineman in da nfl styll?
Hobson
Crable

Ya'll better watch out styll, might be down 2 games, but we still got dat ***** in da tank fo regular season styll. Y'all patriots hatas gonn get a rude awakening styll when dem pats lay an *** whoopin on yall during regular season styll.