PDA

View Full Version : Unknown rookie suddenly a popular quarterback

ChiCubs54
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Unknown rookie suddenly a popular quarterback

Bears practice ends the same way for Caleb Hanie every day. While other players walk back to the dorms, or sign three or four autographs and move on, he signs for the roped-off masses for at least half an hour.

“I’m just trying to soak it in,” Hanie said. “The fans want any player’s autograph who comes over there. I try to give back to the fans. If they can stand for two hours waiting for autographs, I can give them as many as I can.”

That’s a strange turn for Hanie. He became more popular as an undrafted, third-string rookie quarterback in Chicago than he was as the leader of his college team. There, he got some of the Rex Grossman treatment, as Colorado State lost 13 consecutive games during his sophomore and junior seasons.

“It wasn’t so much the fans as the media who made it hectic,” said Hanie, who ranks No. 5 all-time in the Mountain West Conference in touchdown passes (39) and No. 7 in passing yards (6,337). “I’m sure it wasn’t as intense as in the pros in some cities, but it was a hard time. But I got through it and learned a lot from it and had a great senior year.”

Hanie said many of the fans he signed for early in training camp didn’t even know who he was.

Source: RRstar.com

Bulldog76
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Another Hanie thread... OK... let's wait to see how many people line up and say...he needs to get reps with the first team...

Muttman73
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
In honor of current world events "nyet"

Cub_StuckinSTL
08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Another Hanie thread... OK... let's wait to see how many people line up and say...he needs to get reps with the first team...

dont start this again por favor

WES445
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
The most popular Bears QB has always been the one on the bench.

4cubs
08-15-2008, 01:02 PM
The most popular Bears QB has always been the one on the bench.Sad isn't it?

Perhaps if we ever get a real QB that situation will change.

cambovenzi
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Sad isn't it?

Perhaps if we ever get a real QB that situation will change.

a real QB?
blocking is necessary for a QB to look good.
i think grossman is a "real QB".

this ties into the draft thread.
ofcourse players will turn into busts if the team around them that ties into their performance is bad.

freaknasty23
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
well at least he is giving some john hancocks, caleb should be on the all-star team by end of season, not just starting.

stlfan544
08-15-2008, 01:33 PM
a real QB?
blocking is necessary for a QB to look good.
i think grossman is a "real QB".

this ties into the draft thread.
ofcourse players will turn into busts if the team around them that ties into their performance is bad.

I'm with you man, Rex has got pure natural talent at QB, he's improved on making reads and decisions in the drop back and has learned to step up in the pocket, which alot of us on here criticized him for not doing which is why he got sacked so much.

He worked on his footwork and worked to improve his speed, which is good and he had said that he will scramble if nothings that unlike in the past where he'd force something. He said this in an interview a couple of weeks ago don't remember where it was, but I do remember it as a video interview on comcast sportsnet sportsnight.

PTinfluence
08-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm with you man, Rex has got pure natural talent at QB, he's improved on making reads and decisions in the drop back and has learned to step up in the pocket, which alot of us on here criticized him for not doing which is why he got sacked so much.

He worked on his footwork and worked to improve his speed, which is good and he had said that he will scramble if nothings that unlike in the past where he'd force something. He said this in an interview a couple of weeks ago don't remember where it was, but I do remember it as a video interview on comcast sportsnet sportsnight.

Pure natural talent...? Are we watching the same games. I know you can throw out stats and say grossman has similar fumbles, int, passer rating to orton, but can anyone really say Grossman is talented without using an excuse like he needs to make better decisions. Isn't that half of what makes a quarterback TALENTED (aka slow, but with a big arm Payton Manning). I understand the get on the bandwagon thing and suffer one more year of horrible quarterback play with whoever is at the helm, but honestly I would LOVE to see a guy step up, out of nowhere to be a TALENT with good decision making. WhyTF not give this kid a chance, everyone passed up marques colston, everyone passed up tom brady, everyone passed up Richard Dent, all terrific players. I will NOT after one preseason game compare Hanie to any of these players, but hasn't it been long enough to Not be excited about the quarterback. That's why fans are reaching out because they have sat through bs at quarterback for 20 years.

WES445
08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Pure natural talent...? Are we watching the same games. I know you can throw out stats and say grossman has similar fumbles, int, passer rating to orton, but can anyone really say Grossman is talented without using an excuse like he needs to make better decisions. Isn't that half of what makes a quarterback TALENTED (aka slow, but with a big arm Payton Manning). I understand the get on the bandwagon thing and suffer one more year of horrible quarterback play with whoever is at the helm, but honestly I would LOVE to see a guy step up, out of nowhere to be a TALENT with good decision making. WhyTF not give this kid a chance, everyone passed up marques colston, everyone passed up tom brady, everyone passed up Richard Dent, all terrific players. I will NOT after one preseason game compare Hanie to any of these players, but hasn't it been long enough to Not be excited about the quarterback. That's why fans are reaching out because they have sat through bs at quarterback for 20 years.
agree. Give him a chance, so we can see what we got. Depending on the results, we can figure out how bad off we are at the QB position, or find hope at the position. I am sorry, Rex and Orton don't inspire me.

cambovenzi
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM

you cant seriously start hanie, an undrafted rookie QB.

you say grossman isnt talented?
great arm and accuracy, even downfield. very good touch passer too.
yeah decison making needed some work, but alot of it was from poor blocking and WRs.
ask orton or hanie(lol) to do the same thing, and they would struggle(even more) too.

im tryin not to turn everything into a rex thread.
so back on topic,
there is no way you can start a rookie, undrafted QB who had 1 OK preseason game against 3rd and 4th stringers.