PDA

View Full Version : Why do people say that the Pistons Team has been failing ...

JordansBulls
08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Why do people say that the Pistons Team has been failing when they have made at least the conference finals the last 6 years in 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2008 and making the NBA Finals in 2005 and winning the title in 2004?

I mean seriously I think any franchise would take that in any 6 year run especially if they didn't have 1 top 10 player in the league.

kvrnm
08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Why do people say that the Pistons Team has been failing when they have made at least the conference finals the last 6 years in 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2008 and making the NBA Finals in 2005 and winning the title in 2004?

I mean seriously I think any franchise would take that in any 6 year run especially if they didn't have 1 top 10 player in the league.

when u make it that far with a starting five as good as theres, u want to get the job done more then once

ugottabjoshinme
08-14-2008, 05:04 PM
with a veteran team like that success is measured in championships only

IceMan360
08-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Its really simple bro, there overhyped for a team that has only won one championship

zamudio_jorge
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
because they beat a team who win 3 championships in 4 years practically with the same players they have right now and they cant repeat.

is like the new jersey nets losing 2 finals in a row.

MoBASS
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Carmelo Anthony and what could have been with that 2nd pick...

m26555
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM

True, but don't forget that they arguably have four players who are among the top 50 (if not better) in the league.

bball1217
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, any other team would love that success, but now the Pistons should be expected to be Champions, nothing less.

Chronz
08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
They have been failing because theyve been under-achieving by losing to inferior teams. Every year someone on the Pistons choke and most of the time its more than 1 of them.

skyhibballpj87
08-14-2008, 07:40 PM
they say the team has been failing because everyone wants to win a championship and this team has been the same for like 5 years now and they only have one title in 04. ever since then they were knocked out by less experienced teams that they probably should have beaten. are they still good of course. but lately they have become that team that is either tooo confident or think that eventually they will be good. You dont know if the guys everynight are going to play their hearts out. i mean you know rip and chauncy are the best duo back court in the lg but you dont know if sheeds gonna give his all and how decently prince is gonna shoot. they are a good defensive team when they try. they have been caught though many times and after they have lost ben sadly they havent been the same team.

SwaggaIke
08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
The Pistons only lost to one inferior team and that was the Cleveland Cavaliers.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Yea this is a simple question... Why are the Pistons considered to be failing since theyre Championship?

They haven't won one since...

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
they have to win it all they are not like other teams

#1Mavericksfan
08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I think it hurt them when Ben Wallace left, he provided them with interior defense and blocking shots.

Goon.Weezy
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
the only reason they made it to the conference championships 6 straight times is because they are in the east

Lone Maverick
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
The Pistons only lost to one inferior team and that was the Cleveland Cavaliers.

I kinda think that in 05 when the Pistons lost to the Spurs, that the Heat had a better team, but then in 06 when the Heat won the Pistons were better, just my opinion.

The Pistons are harder to figure out than a rubix cube. Since losing to the Spurs they've had this alleged "chip" on their shoulders but haven't won anything. Hell even before that, they were all cast offs from other squads and wanted to prove people wrong about them and all that only netted them one ring. When they come up short, the next year all we hear is that they've learned from it, and will go all the way, and they lose yet again.

Anyways to answer the question. The sentiment is, that when you make it that far year in and year out you close the deal. Its like climbing Everest and then getting stopped 20 feet from the top. It just shouldn't happen.

SwaggaIke
08-14-2008, 10:20 PM
the only reason they made it to the conference championships 6 straight times is because they are in the east

Yea you're right. It's definitely not because they're one of the best teams of this century.

JordansBulls
08-14-2008, 11:27 PM

No, it's because they play defense.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-14-2008, 11:36 PM
well one reason why people say that is cause they think the pistons are falling short with there players, some of there players are getting old and some people just still dont see that the pistons could still have another chance of winning an nba championship cause people are mostly concentrating on the players age and chaunceys decision on if he wants to stay with the pistons for the rest of his career or stay for one more year, if the pistons dont win the championship next season chauncey billups will surely want a trade.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
well u know whats funny with the pistons in 04 they were only 54-28 and they still won the nba championship when u think of teams that win nba championships u think of the teams that win 60 or 65 games around that number in the nba season in 06 they had the best record they blew it in the confrence finals in 6 they were 64-18 and in 05 they were 54-28 again and they made it to the nba finals...

SwaggaIke
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I kinda think that in 05 when the Pistons lost to the Spurs, that the Heat had a better team, but then in 06 when the Heat won the Pistons were better, just my opinion.

The Pistons are harder to figure out than a rubix cube. Since losing to the Spurs they've had this alleged "chip" on their shoulders but haven't won anything. Hell even before that, they were all cast offs from other squads and wanted to prove people wrong about them and all that only netted them one ring. When they come up short, the next year all we hear is that they've learned from it, and will go all the way, and they lose yet again.

Anyways to answer the question. The sentiment is, that when you make it that far year in and year out you close the deal. Its like climbing Everest and then getting stopped 20 feet from the top. It just shouldn't happen.

I can't argue your opinion, but I will say this. I believe we were better than Detroit both years. But in '06 we had Jason Williams who was better than Damon Jones. Walker who played better in the playoffs than Eddie Jones. And we had more all around team depth (Posey, The Andersons, Payton, Doleac and Kapono). Not to mention the fact that the championship team was actually coached by Pat Riley.

Epic89
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
No, it's because they play defense.

:clap::clap:

Any way, between 2005, 2006, and 2007 they should have at least one championship.

I think it's hard to complain about 2005; they came as close as you can come without winning it all. And in 2008, they just ran into a team on a mission; the Celtics won the ECF, the Pistons didn't lose it.

06 and 07 are bona-fide failures though. It was them and then everyone else in 2006, and they were the redeem team in 2007 all year and then had that horrific collapse against Lebron James (note 'Lebron James', not 'Cleveland Cavaliers')

It's hard to call a team that won a 'ship a failure; that's one more than the Mavs, Suns, Pacers, Kings, or Nets can say they've won. But recent history has tainted their legacy to some degree.

But yet again, better the Atlanta Braves of the NBA than the Buffalo Bulls

superkegger
08-15-2008, 12:51 AM

with a veteran team like that success is measured in championships only

that's pretty much spot on.

To me there's a cycle teams should go through.

First you rebuild.

Then you're a playoff team. Hopefully making it to the second or conference finals.

Then you're a contender.

Then once you're a contender it's only about championships.

For the Pistons, once they won that championship, anything less was not a success. Sure they might of had a good year, lot of wins and ECF, but it fell short of the finals goal.

I wouldn't call it a failure necessarily, but I wouldn't call it a success.

Chronz
08-15-2008, 12:58 AM
I can't argue your opinion, but I will say this. I believe we were better than Detroit both years. But in '06 we had Jason Williams who was better than Damon Jones. Walker who played better in the playoffs than Eddie Jones. And we had more all around team depth (Posey, The Andersons, Payton, Doleac and Kapono). Not to mention the fact that the championship team was actually coached by Pat Riley.

All that is true, the team around Wade and Shaq was much improved, Pat knew he needed to provide the Heat with more fire power but he knew this because of Shaq's natural decline. So while the role players were better, you had a better Shaq in his first year in Miami when he was an MVP candidate. To me that matters more than having those upgrades. Injuries to Shaq and Wade really destroyed the teams chances at a title but I really believe they were the better team both years.

Kyle N.
08-15-2008, 02:05 AM
The Pistons win a championship and are usually one of the top teams in the league and people think they are a dissapointment. The Clippers are a bottom of the barrel team for a lot of years. They get Baron Davis and Marcus Camby. Now everybody thinks they are geniuses, easily in the playoffs, and are praising them for it.

Preuss-is-right
08-15-2008, 02:17 AM
If they win it this upcoming season then I would call them a very successful franchise. Right now they are among the elite but their window of opportunity is closing fast.

Knowledge
08-15-2008, 02:43 AM
they have the talent to win more than 1 championship, but i think the biggest reason they havent repeated is because they never replaced Ben Wallace's Defense when he was at the top of his game.

When they had both Sheed and Ben nobody really knew how to attack the paint because both played the weakside so well with block shots.

Jay22Redd
08-15-2008, 02:57 AM
They are a good team that had 6 chances to get to the finals and only went once. When you have the lineup that they had, all experienced veterans, you should go atleast made it past the ECF 3 or 4 times out of the 6. The worst one was when they lost to one player, Lebron James. I mean he scored what the last 28 points for the Cavs. They knew they were going to him and couldnt stop him.

LakerzDQ
08-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Carmelo Anthony and what could have been with that 2nd pick...

I think Chris Bosh would've been a better pick for their team. they only have 1 bigman now, with Rasheed Wallace. they have a decent SF with Tayshaun Prince.

PG-Chauncy Billups
SG-Richard Hamilton
SF-Tayshaun Prince
PF-Chris Bosh
C-Rasheed Wallace

that is a championship team.

Pistons could've won so many more championships if they'd used the pick well.

SwaggaIke
08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
All that is true, the team around Wade and Shaq was much improved, Pat knew he needed to provide the Heat with more fire power but he knew this because of Shaq's natural decline. So while the role players were better, you had a better Shaq in his first year in Miami when he was an MVP candidate. To me that matters more than having those upgrades. Injuries to Shaq and Wade really destroyed the teams chances at a title but I really believe they were the better team both years.

We most definitely had a better Shaq the first year. Even though Nash won, Shaquille was MVP of the league that year and i'll always believe that. You could go either way w/ it. Like you said, Shaq was on a natural decline. You could argue that his production as runner up in the MVP race was equal to the production of the role players Pat added around Shaq and Wade. It could be argued that we were better w/ the role players. It could be argued that in '05 it didn't really matter who was around Shaq and Wade, they were just that good. I loved both of those teams. People tend to forget that in 03-04 we took the 60 win Pacers to 6 games in the second round w/o Shaq. We won an Eastern Conference high 59 games in 04-05 and our entire starting lineup was ailing against Detroit in the conference finals w/ major injuries. Dwyane missed game 6 of that series which could have been the closer. Its all history now though. Both of those teams could have won titles. I wish they would have, but that's the way the chips fall. Some teams never get 1.

madiaz3
08-15-2008, 11:06 AM
The fans after a while get tired of ECF and want some chips, simple as that.

king4day
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Because they won the ring first. Then they have this string of ECF (and one final) apperances all ending in losses. If that's my team, I'm def content with how good my team is but I'm not happy that we couldn't do it at least one more time.
They remind me of the Braves of the 90's. Such a sick pitching staff but only one ring to show for it.

m26555
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I still think the Pistons should've beaten the Spurs in 2005..Had it not been for Robert Horry, they most likely would have.

JordansBulls
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I still think the Pistons should've beaten the Spurs in 2005..Had it not been for Robert Horry, they most likely would have.

They needed to win one of the first two in San Antonio. No way were they going to win games 6 and 7 on the road.

m26555
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
They needed to win one of the first two in San Antonio. No way were they going to win games 6 and 7 on the road.
If Horry doesn't hit that three, they're up 3-2 going to SA. That's why I said if it wasn't for Horry's heroics, the Pistons win that series.

23LBJCleBrowns
08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
there old.

slack_justin
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
if they could get a center they would be fine . maybe cheik samb will be the next thing for them. seriously he can rebound ,is a really good defender and can shoot. only reason he didnt play last year is he was only 190 lbs at 7 ft. now hes up 245. wishful thinking on my part