PDA

View Full Version : Coco must go

jayhawks34
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Couldn’t imagine how much better the sox would be right now if a deal had been made in the off season for Crisp. Gotta love his offense :eyebrow:

Tankjeep
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
every time he wraps his chin over his shoulder....i'm waitin' for him to pull a neck muscle.

sboyajian
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
well when you put it that way.. how could I possibly argue.... .....

cclipper44
08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Wasn't there some sort of rumor in the off-season about Crisp going to the White Sox and we would receive Carlos Quentin? I thought i remembered hearing that. If i am right, can you just imagine?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Wasn't there some sort of rumor in the off-season about Crisp going to the White Sox and we would receive Carlos Quentin? I thought i remembered hearing that. If i am right, can you just imagine?

:bang:

epgelinas
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Quentin didn't go to Chicago until pretty late in the offseason if im not mistaken. I can't see that Arizona would have wanted him.
You probably heard some tool with a wild imagination full of orgies and lop-sided trades for the home team. Great thought getting Quentin but get realistic... i would guess Arizona got pitching for Quentin or they wouldn't have made the trade. We probably could have gotten Quentin for Buchholz, imagine that!!!, he's hurt us a lot more than Coco has this season!!!

We cant have everything, but with everything that's happened around the Sox this year we have a great team with a very good shot at repeating!!!

jayhawks34
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

we would have a nice lead in the division

epgelinas
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
The trade took place in early Dec, so about mid offseason. And it was for a power hitting 1st base prospect who is 5 years younger. I still think this offseason is the time to ship off Buchholz, before he loses even more value like Hanson did. He's regressing and he looks more lost every outting!
Next years staff could be
Beckett
Lester
Dice-K
Masterson
Wakefield(or Someone we spend Manny's $20M less Bay's $7M!!! $13 Mil should land somewone decent.) Heck since this whole thread was based on a dream lets imagine we get Sabathia!!!!

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Couldn’t imagine how much better the sox would be right now if a deal had been made in the off season for Crisp. Gotta love his offense :eyebrow:

Just playing devil's advocate here... if Coco had been dealt we'd probably still be dealing with Manny. Huh?

Pretty simple. Coco had very little trade value over the winter. It was well known that we were going to try to move him (at least it was widely assumed) so no one was going to stand up and offer much. Worse, he'd been easily displaced by a rookie after not hitting for several weeks to close the season. We would not have gotten anything and whatever we'd have received would probably not have been an OFer.

Without Coco, Moss has to be the 4th OFer and we don't have an extra piece to make the LAD-PIT-BOS swap to unload our headaches for Bay.

futureheisman
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
coco looks awful at the plate right now. he is an automatic out right now and his defense hasnt been what it used to be. i think you should leave him on the bench a use him as defensive replacement. look at what we gave up for him in kelly shoppach he could been a future catcher but we had to make a deal that we got the worst of.

The Intimidator
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I will also play devil's advocate. Coco may be struggling offensively, but he provides good outfield depth. Aside from that error in the 19-17 game, he has played outstanding defense, and has given them great speed on the basepaths. Has he been the guy we thought we were getting when we traded Andy Marte for him? No. But it's not like Andy Marte has been setting the world on fire with Cleveland either (.185/.234/.280 with 3 hr and 10 rbi in 54 games). Plus, we know that Coco has been giving it his all whenever he has been in there, even though he's probably pissed that he isn't starting everyday. The bottom line is that he gives us more than people realize, and like redsoxtober said, without him we might still have Manny.

Osiagledknarf
08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I will also play devil's advocate. Coco may be struggling offensively, but he provides good outfield depth. Aside from that error in the 19-17 game, he has played outstanding defense, and has given them great speed on the basepaths. Has he been the guy we thought we were getting when we traded Andy Marte for him? No. But it's not like Andy Marte has been setting the world on fire with Cleveland either (.185/.234/.280 with 3 hr and 10 rbi in 54 games). Plus, we know that Coco has been giving it his all whenever he has been in there, even though he's probably pissed that he isn't starting everyday. The bottom line is that he gives us more than people realize, and like redsoxtober said, without him we might still have Manny.

Absolutely! I can't really add anything to that...perfectly said. It's tough to get better than Crisp as your 4th outfielder while staying realistic. Great defense, depth, and speed. It's really not that bad...plus he can dodge a left hook pretty well.

Vthockeydad
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Exactly. He is certainly not hitting like the Sox expected, but it is nice having him out defensively.

Jeremy5150
08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Leave Coco alone. He earned his stripes last year with that amazing catch in the WS. He is not hitting great, that's for sure. But hitting isn't everything all the time. Having someone who run full-blast into a wall in order to make an out is worth something too!!! Coco will risk injury to win a game. Would A-Rod???

NESports2004
08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Leave Coco alone. He earned his stripes last year with that amazing catch in the WS. He is not hitting great, that's for sure. But hitting isn't everything all the time. Having someone who run full-blast into a wall in order to make an out is worth something too!!! Coco will risk injury to win a game. Would A-Rod???

please dont compare the best player in the game/perennial all star/future hall of famer to Coco Crisp. Its just not right.

yaowowrocket11
08-15-2008, 12:19 AM

:laugh2:

The Red Sox would be 122-0 if they traded Coco. Because the 4th outfielder isn't playing well isn't affecting the team's overall play.

athlete9393
08-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Quentin didn't go to Chicago until pretty late in the offseason if im not mistaken. I can't see that Arizona would have wanted him.
You probably heard some tool with a wild imagination full of orgies and lop-sided trades for the home team. Great thought getting Quentin but get realistic... i would guess Arizona got pitching for Quentin or they wouldn't have made the trade. We probably could have gotten Quentin for Buchholz, imagine that!!!, he's hurt us a lot more than Coco has this season!!!

We cant have everything, but with everything that's happened around the Sox this year we have a great team with a very good shot at repeating!!!

Shock & Awe....
08-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Here's the article I think you're referring to:

http://mvn.com/mlb-redsox/2008/01/07/could-carlos-quentin-be-heading-to-the-red-sox/

Shock & Awe....
08-15-2008, 05:47 AM
I remember reading somewhere (I believe it was an article right off of the White Sox's website) that Theo dragged his feet on this deal because he didn't know how the Santana deal was going to work out. With Ellsbury being a potential trading piece for Santana, Coco was his back-up plan for center field. If Ellsbury had been traded, Coco would ave become infinitely more valuable to us...

gcoll
08-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here... if Coco had been dealt we'd probably still be dealing with Manny. Huh?

Pretty simple. Coco had very little trade value over the winter. It was well known that we were going to try to move him (at least it was widely assumed) so no one was going to stand up and offer much. Worse, he'd been easily displaced by a rookie after not hitting for several weeks to close the season. We would not have gotten anything and whatever we'd have received would probably not have been an OFer.

Without Coco, Moss has to be the 4th OFer and we don't have an extra piece to make the LAD-PIT-BOS swap to unload our headaches for Bay.

Nice. I see what you did there.

Also. I like Coco's speed off the bench, and his glove in the outfield.

If we get into a situation where we make the playoffs....and we need a SB off the bench. I'm gonna be glad we kept Coco.

sabrezealot
08-15-2008, 07:27 AM

I am not at all a proponent of trading Coco....it's a stupid idea. However, hindsight doesn't work the way you just made it out to be. There's no way to know that Boston wouldn't have gone after a Giles, or picked up Edmonds or any other possible outfielder who would fit a specific role.

lil'papi
08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Coco is better than Tek left handed? That's all I got.....

We win a few games our team looks peachy. We lose a few Coco, Tek, MDC, Cora and anyone not hitting .300 will fall off the bandwagon.

Lose, We should trade 'em all.
Win, They are all pieces of the puzzle.

Funny how that works.

Coco is a nice 4th OF'er this year, next year it probably will be someone else.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I am not at all a proponent of trading Coco....it's a stupid idea. However, hindsight doesn't work the way you just made it out to be. There's no way to know that Boston wouldn't have gone after a Giles, or picked up Edmonds or any other possible outfielder who would fit a specific role.

True, but you've basically made the same point that I was trying to make. Trading Coco last offseason does not necessarily get the Sox to the same place they are now. The assumption in the earlier post was that everything would be exactly the same.

futureheisman
08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
He Needs To Go

bagwell368
08-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Coco sucks, but Lugo sucks cubed.