PDA

View Full Version : Pats sign Lynch

ProPoster
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
John Lynch has been released by the Broncos. Should the Pats be interested in him? I think he would be a great addition. Thoughts?

nep2008
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, I agree aswell. Having him back there with harrison and sanders as a back up would be very cool

MilledgeGomez
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
I dunno he is old like Harrison and we need to get younger on defense

JetInPhilly
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
I think this would be a good move for you. He's a little on the seasoned side, but he's a great player, very smart, and can help out with the younger players. A 1 year contract could work out nicely here.

KingJamsI
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, I agree aswell. Having him back there with harrison and sanders as a back up would be very cool

As a backup to Rodney, sure... but he left Denver because he wasn't going to have an opportunity to win the starting job. I can't imagine he would sign somewhere else if he still wouldn't have that opportunity.

ProPoster
07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
maybe its just that he couldn't get the starting job on a mediocre team? I don't think he should have a problem being backup on a contending team.

bagwell368
07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I've been waiting for this for 3 years. It's time to sing the siren song of Seau. Immortality can be had for the vet minimum. If they use him for 18 plays a game it could be a big win for cheap.

magichatnumber9
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Nope! I don't think we need anymore more chiefs in the tribe. There is just right amount of vet to young ratio on that team. My only addition would be Ty Law. do you think Asante would have been the player he became with out Law and Poole, Nope, and we have two rookie corners, and lets face it I wouldn't want Rookies to have to get tutelage from Ellis Hobbs.

bagwell368
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Nope! I don't think we need anymore more chiefs in the tribe. There is just right amount of vet to young ratio on that team. My only addition would be Ty Law. do you think Asante would have been the player he became with out Law and Poole, Nope, and we have two rookie corners, and lets face it I wouldn't want Rookies to have to get tutelage from Ellis Hobbs.

why not both? Pats have more dough then most teams, and the undeniable rank of team to beat.....

Fribbles
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
As a backup to Rodney, sure... but he left Denver because he wasn't going to have an opportunity to win the starting job. I can't imagine he would sign somewhere else if he still wouldn't have that opportunity.

You're telling me you would start James Sanders over John Lynch?

A man who has proved nothing at the FS spot, only got the starting job cuz Meri was a rookie and Wilson just flat out sucks...Versus a proven veteran. If we had Seau at LB last year, I don't see why we dont bring in Lynch. Sign Ty Law as well and swap him in and out at CB with Meri (who could also swap with Lynch at FS) and Fernando Bryant and Johnathan Whilite... The veteran leadership in the Secondary with those two players and Rodney, id be a huge upgrade to our secondary and I would no longer question our secondary for this year

JetInPhilly
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM

A man who has proved nothing at the FS spot, only got the starting job cuz Meri was a rookie and Wilson just flat out sucks...Versus a proven veteran. If we had Seau at LB last year, I don't see why we dont bring in Lynch. Sign Ty Law as well and swap him in and out at CB with Meri (who could also swap with Lynch at FS) and Fernando Bryant and Johnathan Whilite... The veteran leadership in the Secondary with those two players and Rodney, id be a huge upgrade to our secondary and I would no longer question our secondary for this year

Has anyone heard anything about Ty Law lately? Last I heard, Cleveland said he was too high priced.

KingJamsI
08-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Its an X's and O's thing. I would take Lynch as a football player, but as a free safety who plays next to Rodney Harrison, you would have to play Sanders or Merriweather. Lynch and Harrison are both glorified linebackers, in fact A.D. and Mayo are probably faster than either. You cant expect to play pass defense with this duo as your last line of defense, ESPECIALLY without a lockdown corner who can run step for step with the Chad Johnsons and Terrell Owens' of the world. We would get torched.

BostonFan 53
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd be all for this. Having him could extend Harrison's career.

Shock & Awe....
08-01-2008, 07:27 PM
For the veteran minimum... why not? He'll bring depth and give BB more options for different packages. Imagine having a goalline defense with Rodney and Lynch. And it's only a matter of time before Rodney gets hurt and Lynch can step right in there. I like Lynch more than Ray Ventrone (who has been playing at WR all camp) or Dillard... If he's too old to be effective, we cut him and we don't lose anything.

kazzy4080
08-03-2008, 05:02 PM
i would love to see lynch on this team, help out our secondary, and maybe if we could ty law that be sick too

americaspasttim
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Lynch would be a nice addition. I think CB is more of a need then SS or FS, another player of Lynch's caliber def wouldn't hurt the secondary. He still has some left...

JerseyBrave
08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
We should definatly go after Lynch he can still play, and having a rotation of lynch and harrison would be great b/c they can rest alot more, and be more effective towards the end of the season. we would be very deep at the safety position, harrison, lynch, meriweather, tank, sanders.

Super.
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
i think it would boost the depleted secondary

Celts22
08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I would much rather sign him than Seau due to how much of a question mark our secondary is right now and we have the young guys who could fill in better than Seau.

Crickr
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
The Pats don't need him . They will be just fine .....wait and see

kazzy4080
08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
if the pats have the cap (i dont know how they r on cap) and arent in the hunting for another solid secondary piece (that would take away the cap space for lynch), i dont see why not

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/patriots_hostin.html

Lynch visited today...i think its likely he will sign. We have a good defense and he could help make it even better. We are a favorite to get to the superbowl. Come on board Lynch.

nep2008
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
The Patriots are hosting free agent John Lynch on Wednesday.

Lynch could immediately step into the linebacker/safety role the Pats had Tank Williams ticketed for. He wouldn't be a threat to start in New England.

hmm, this secondary is starting to shapen up

Anthony Flores
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
C'mon you guys have everyone how much Cap could you possibly have

bagwell368
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
The Pats don't need him . They will be just fine .....wait and see

They don't need a safety who is:

a. a HoF'er (and will beat Rodney there)

b. probably got more in the tank then Rodney as well.

The Pats lost golden opportunities to win the SB in '05 and '06 because they didn't spend every dime they could. That didn't happen lat year, and they had an amazing season.

I'm fine if Rodney and Lynch combine for 45 plays from scrimmage per game. And I would much rather have Lynch then Seau.

DieHardColtsfan
08-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Lynch is great and he would thrive in NE's system. Oh i hope you guys don't get him. Besides he has it out for Dallas Clark to. He already landed 2 hits on Clark that cost him a suspension and cash both times.

JerseyBrave
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
You guys have to remember the pats wanted lynch when he was free agent BB loves lynch, hopefully we sign him he would thrive in new england

kazzy4080
08-14-2008, 12:01 AM
i hope we can get him, he'll be a good influence and help out the defense. no one is gonna be able to run on us if we get him... however if a QB can get the throw off without getting sacked we're ****ed

griff141
08-14-2008, 01:01 AM
i hope we can get him, he'll be a good influence and help out the defense. no one is gonna be able to run on us if we get him... however if a QB can get the throw off without getting sacked we're ****ed

Not necessarily because Sanders and Meriweather can run step for step with most receivers and can cover well.

kbjohnson26
08-14-2008, 10:27 AM
According to Profootballtalk.com

Some more veteran presence and leadership.

nep2008
08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Profootballtalk.com is reporting the Patriots have signed S John Lynch.

Typical Patriots move. Lynch wants to play for a winner, and the Patriots will wrangle value out of the savvy veteran for 15-20 plays per game by exploiting his strengths and hiding his weaknesses. Lynch will likely take over the linebacker/safety role that Tank Williams was expected to fill.

Surprise, surprise........

Rotoworld says the same!

Get ready pats fan, cuz holy *****, we are goin for broke on this season and were gon kill every team in our path styll.You cannot blame the man for wanting to be a part of the greatest dynasty of the 21st century.

Everyone’s jealous. It’s natural.

tonyd3b54
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
lynch harrsion= amazing run stopping...but 0 pass coverage...love the signing tho

griff141
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey every NFL receiver you just got...... JACKED UP!!!

dbroncos78087
08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
lynch harrsion= amazing run stopping...but 0 pass coverage...love the signing tho

I like Lynch so take this as a joke please. But that will be the "dirtiest secondary of all-time".

bagwell368
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I like Lynch so take this as a joke please. But that will be the "dirtiest secondary of all-time".

I prefer to say the hardest hitting secondary of all time.... they will only play together on short yardage. Really it is both of them now == one of them four years ago, and that's good IMO.

Crickr
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Well I guess I eat my words lol. They did sign him . I have faith in BB and SP so hope he kicks some major arse this season.

tonyd3b54
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
just another category the pats will lead the league in...fines...

kazzy4080
08-14-2008, 03:37 PM

rumor is they r gonna carry sand in their hands during some plays and throw it into the receiver's eyes

anyway this is a great signing, no one will be able to run on the pats

JimmyMal450
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
i like this singing, now hopefully Seau will come back too.

Wake's Fastball
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM

I think George Atkinson and Jack Tatum have a pretty good hold on that title, though I suppose Harrison and Lynch could come close.

I wasn't too thrilled about the signing, but BB and Pioli clearly know what they're doing, so I'm not going to object.

ripjhb18
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey every NFL receiver you just got...... JACKED UP!!!

They may get beat in coverage but I dont think anyone will really wanna come over the middle with both of them right there.

Shaiza
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Lynch! I love him.

ERLynx
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Love it.

mcivermd21
08-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I like the signing. Due to the loss of Tank Williams, it is clear that with this signing, Bill has a set plan in his head and he needed Lynch to stick with his idea. It was said that Tank and his hardnose style of play was going to be used possibly 15-25 plays a game, if that was the case, this signing is bigger than we intisapate. Althought, Denver started to use him less, during pass protection, i think he will remain to be an effective player in key situations and Nickle packages. In other words, I approve this player.

IceMan360
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
really good sign

MSG34
08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
really good sign

:confused: Grandpa Lynch joins Grandma Harrison to complete the oldest safety tandem in the NFL

ZHawk1123
08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
:confused: Grandpa Lynch joins Grandma Harrison to complete the oldest safety tandem in the NFL

Good luck running and catching a pass over the middle on em... :eyebrow:

MSG34
08-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Good luck running and catching a pass over the middle on em... :eyebrow:

hey zhawk my buddy from last year LOL...i don't think you'll be quoting me anytime soon.

as far as the safeties go i'll admit those guys can hit but they sure are oldd and slow in pass coverage

Dirty Dirk41
08-16-2008, 12:29 AM
hey zhawk my buddy from last year LOL...i don't think you'll be quoting me anytime soon.

as far as the safeties go i'll admit those guys can hit but they sure are oldd and slow in pass coverage
CORRECT!! and thats exactly where Merriweather and Sanders come into play. Dont you worry about the Pats D. where not asking Lynch to come in here and be the focal point of this defense and play every down. He has experience, he'll be good for the young guys, and hes a football player. to say this is a bad signing is just foolish. without Lynch we are still super bowl contenders. He can only help

Cronin
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
:dance:

ChrisKatz001
08-28-2008, 01:20 AM
for pass coverage these guys are mediocre. but the presence they bring to have opposing teams be too scared to throw in the middle of the field is amazing. hit em hard lynch, thats what patriots football is. he will fit just fine here.

griff141
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Harrison and Lynch on the same field...... Here comes the BOOM!!!