PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' Roy to have arthroscopic surgery on left knee

Nets fan 93
08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Not sure it was posted or not... dont fee like looking:)

Greg Oden's finally looking ready. But the guy who will get him the ball is banged up.

The Portland Trail Blazers announced on Wednesday that guard Brandon Roy will have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Thursday. The operation will repair a tear in the meniscus that was revealed by MRI on Tuesday. Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts will perform the procedure at Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center in Vancouver, Wash., and a timetable for Roy's return will be established after surgery.

Oden, the top pick in last year's draft who missed all of the 2007-08 campaign after right knee surgery, worked out for the media on Tuesday.

The 7-footer from Ohio State showed no signs of problems in two-on-two work with teammates Steve Blake and Channing Frye and former Arkansas star Steven Hill, a 7-footer invited to practice with Portland. Oden isn't allowed to go five-on-five until next month.

"I'm feeling good," Oden said. "I do not have any pain or soreness in my knee."

Roy is part of a young nucleus for the up-and-coming Blazers. The 2006-07 Rookie of the Year has averaged 18.1 points, 5.0 assists and 4.6 rebounds over his two years in the league.

Roy helped the Blazers improve by 11 wins in his rookie year to a 32-50 mark, and even without Oden, Portland jumped up to 41 wins last season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3534265

still1ballin
08-14-2008, 12:57 AM
OUCH!....isn't that what amare had? hopefully he can bounce fromt this.

JIDsanity
08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
That suck's big time. How long is he out 4?

JIDsanity
08-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Hopefully not as long as Oden

Reezy
08-14-2008, 01:12 AM
WTF? Come on Blazers, stay healthy!

jetsfan28
08-14-2008, 01:13 AM

No, Amare had microfracture knee surgery. Much, much, much worse.

jgonboricua
08-14-2008, 01:17 AM
actually alot of teams were scared to draft roy because he had red flags on his knees....hopefully this isnt a sign of an injury prone career....but it think i remember something about his knees looking horrible when he went in for the workouts his freshman year...

KmB728
08-14-2008, 01:18 AM
so how long is he out for?

bogdanrom
08-14-2008, 01:30 AM
WOW! This sucks! Oden is healthy and looking good, Bayless was looking good. This team was taking shape then this happens. I hope it's not for a long time.

bball1217
08-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Do not worry, it is not supposed to last long.

According to wikipedia, an arthroscopic knee surgery takes about a week or two to fully recover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopy

Knee arthroscopy

Lateral meniscus located between thigh bone (femur, above) and shin bone (tibia, below). The tibial cartilage displays a fissure (tip of teaser instrument).
Knee arthroscopy has in many cases replaced the classic arthrotomy that was performed in the past. Today knee arthroscopy is commonly performed for treating meniscus injury, reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament and for cartilage microfracturing. Arthroscopy can also be performed just for diagnosing and checking of the knee; however, the latter use has been mainly replaced by magnetic resonance imaging.
During an average knee arthroscopy, a small fiberoptic camera (the endoscope) is inserted into the joint through a small incision, about 4 mm (1/8 inch) long. A special fluid is used to visualize the joint parts. More incisions might be performed in order to check other parts of the knee. Then other miniature instruments are used and the surgery is performed.
Recovery after a knee arthroscopy is significantly faster as compared to arthrotomy. Most patients can return home and walk using crutches the same or the next day after the surgery. Recovery time depends on the reason that surgery was needed and the patient's physical condition. Usually a patient can fully load his leg already within a couple of days and after a few weeks the joint function can fully recover. It is not uncommon for athletes who have an above average physical condition to return to normal athletic activities within a few weeks.
Arthroscopic surgeries of the knee are done for many reasons, but the usefulness of surgery for treating osteoarthritis is doubtful. A double-blind placebo-controlled study on arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2002.[2] In this three-group study, 180 military veterans with osteoarthritis of the knee were randomly assigned to receive arthroscopic débridement with lavage, just arthroscopic lavage, or a sham surgery, which made superficial incisions to the skin while pretending to do the surgery. For two years after the surgeries, patients reported their pain levels and were evaluated for joint motion. Neither the patients nor the independent evaluators knew which patients had received which surgery. The study reported, "At no point did either of the intervention groups report less pain or better function than the placebo group."[3] Because there is no confirmed usefulness for these surgeries, many agencies are reconsidering paying for a surgery which seems to create risks with no benefit.[4]

I hope that is right for you Blazers fans.

mcnasty54
08-14-2008, 01:53 AM
yea, a torn meniscus isn't as serious as Amare's

Hellcrooner
08-14-2008, 02:55 AM
bad news for him, im sorry for the blazers but id be an hypocrate if i said it does not make me a littke ( VERY VERY VERY LITTLE) Happy, since it means Rudy Fernadnez will get the chance to show his skills.

Surr there are some "happy" people on Bayless camp too...

ARMIN12NBA
08-14-2008, 02:58 AM

Amare Staudemire had microfracture surgery, which is considered the worst injury in the sports world. That is the same injury that Oden had and was out for a year.

Arthroscopic surgery is the same surgery that Andrew Bynum had about two months ago and a month ago, he was cleared to play and is currently looking amazing and is in amazing shape according to his personal trainer who said he is looking like a beast.

Blazer fans, do not worry. This is definitely not as serious as Oden's injury. This surgery is more along the lines of the surgery Andrew Bynum had recently.

#1Mavericksfan
08-14-2008, 03:17 AM
I hope this doesn't slow him down.

Flawless_KB24
08-14-2008, 03:32 AM
kobe had this two years ago in july i believe. he only missed 2 games.
like previously stated, dont worry guys

DenButsu
08-14-2008, 03:43 AM
That sucks, I hope he'll recover quickly so that the Blazers can be at full strength when they go on to prove that they're not the miraculous wunderteam everybody is making them out to be.

LAcowBOMBER
08-14-2008, 03:55 AM
That sucks, I hope he'll recover quickly so that the Blazers can be at full strength when they go on to prove that they're not the miraculous wunderteam everybody is making them out to be.
:clap::clap::clap:
Thank you for saying it so I don't have to

kylem4711
08-14-2008, 04:01 AM
this is terrible for roy.

good for the clips tho

MiamiHeat
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
if hes out for a long time,
bayless could play SG hes a scorer :D

_Sn1P3r_
08-14-2008, 09:15 AM
True. ^^ Then have Blake play PG.

king4day
08-14-2008, 09:50 AM

If it's the same thing, then he'll maybe miss a month of the season if even that much.
Since he's smaller and his job isn't to battle with the bigs, his recovery will prob be quicker too.

It's a shame this wasn't caught earlier. This coulda been done already.

Sixerlover
08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Bad injury. I hate to see good young players go down like that.

Sixerlover
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM

The talent is there Den, you cannot deny that. The results aren't there because they haven't played together yet (and now because of this still won't be at 100%), but you can see something special brewing.

DenButsu
08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
The talent is there Den, you cannot deny that. The results aren't there because they haven't played together yet (and now because of this still won't be at 100%), but you can see something special brewing.

I would never deny - and have never denied - that heaps of potential are there in that roster. But they're still young, unproven, and untested -- and in spite of that some people are calling them a 5th/6th seed, saying they'll beat out Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, GSW, etc.

All I'm saying is... well, slow down, folks. Let's see if they can actually make something of that potential on the court first before we start awarding them the NW division title or anything.

JordansBulls
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
As long as he isn't out long, he should be ok.

m26555
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Portland Trail Blazer guard Brandon Roy will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery to repair a tear in the meniscus of his left knee, the team announced.

A magnetic resonance imaging or MRI, taken Tuesday revealed the tear. Surgery is scheduled for Thursday.

Trail Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts will perform the surgery at Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center in Vancouver, Wash.

A timetable for Roy's return will be set following the surgery.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/blazers/2008-08-14-roy-surgery_N.htm?csp=34

GregOden#1
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
He will/will not be out long depending on the surgery. Recovery times can be anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 months with this type of surgery. I have yet to hear a timeframe but now that the surgery is done I heard that his recovery will be sooner rather than later and should be ready at the start of TC (not an official statement, I heard it on the radio).

lakers4sho
08-14-2008, 12:16 PM
If Roy has to miss a few games entering the season, I think Rudy Fernandez is more than capable of filling in that SG spot for him.

superkegger
08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
That really sucks. I'm not a blazers fan, but I love watching Roy play. Hope he comes back soon.

Cullksinikers
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Blazers and these knee injuries...........get better Roy.

superkegger
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Blazers and these knee injuries...........get better Roy.

yeah hopefully no one else there has knee problems. If that team stays healthy and lives up to their potential...yikes.

Chaudhry
08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
i have the same injury gonna get the same surgery... doctor said i'll be able to walk within 7-9 days and play sports within 6 weeks... im sure blazers have better doctors and physio... torn meniscus... from what my doctor told me... isn't a big deal...

superkegger
08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I would never deny - and have never denied - that heaps of potential are there in that roster. But they're still young, unproven, and untested -- and in spite of that some people are calling them a 5th/6th seed, saying they'll beat out Phoenix, Dallas, Denver, GSW, etc.

All I'm saying is... well, slow down, folks. Let's see if they can actually make something of that potential on the court first before we start awarding them the NW division title or anything.

I agree. If anything I think they'll be battling for the 8th spot. Regardless of the talent, like you said they still have to put it all together, and adding Oden will help, but they still have to work him into their game, as well as bayless. that's a very young team, and I don't see them taking a spot away from any of the top 7 (LAL,DAL,PHO,SAS,UTAH,NOH,HOU) But as far as the 8th spot goes, I think Denver losing camby was potentially a big loss, the clippers gaining baron but losing brand, and the warriors losing baron but addng maggette and the blazers being so young will make it another incredibly tight race in the western conference, maybe even more so than last year.

Dawson8
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
They are suppose to make the offical timetable available today. I read that they were looking to see if there was anything else with this injury. Regardless, KP is building a great team and they do have back ups. Roy probably is an injury prone player. I think that is why the blazers put a lot of time in getting Rudy and just in case he isn't as good as we all hope...........they drafted Bayless. The one guy in the draft everyone seems to think is another "Roy" type.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
actually alot of teams were scared to draft roy because he had red flags on his knees....hopefully this isnt a sign of an injury prone career....but it think i remember something about his knees looking horrible when he went in for the workouts his freshman year...

exactly right. That is why the Wolves traded him for Foye. And then Foye missed 60% of a season with his first basketball injury. I do think this is the year Foye emerges as a high level guard, hopefully Roy can heal up. This type of surgery has around a 6 week recovery time, so unless it turns into something worse, he should be ready to roll early training camp