PDA

View Full Version : Pauley called up... and immediately returned

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Quick call-up and send-down for David Pauley. He sat in the Sox bullpen tonight and was then sent back to Pawtucket and DH/1B/OF Jeff Bailey was recalled.

Don't know if this is the final move on this roster spot. The Sox might be scouring the waiver wire for another solution and perhaps a corner infielder who may protect them with Mike Lowell on the DL. Stay tuned.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Got sent down real quick. :p Can a mod change the title please?

Bailey up. Pauley down.

Tragedy
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Funny. Must be a bit frustrating, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting to be up long anyways.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I thought he might have been pretty useful for our Pen.

KmB728
08-14-2008, 12:14 AM
wow i was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the pen....

Crucis
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I think that Pauley was just an insurance policy, after last night's heavy usage of the bullpen.

It makes sense to have Bailey on the bench with Lowell on the DL.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-14-2008, 12:37 AM
I personally would have preferred Carter over Bailey...

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Funny. Must be a bit frustrating, but I'm sure he wasn't expecting to be up long anyways.

Remember Youkilis before he finally came up to stay?

I think that's pretty frustrating.

Wake's Fastball
08-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I think that Pauley was just an insurance policy, after last night's heavy usage of the bullpen.

It makes sense to have Bailey on the bench with Lowell on the DL.

Yep, though I'm a little surprised we didn't see Smith I guess.

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM

I think the emphasis is on the heavy usage here. Smith is basically a one inning guy and, with everyone working in Tuesday's football game, the Sox needed the insurance of covering several innings just in case. 'Course Lester is proving not to need that much help...

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Lester has been a BP cure. Nevermind the touchdown and two point conversion he got to work with.

Crucis
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I personally would have preferred Carter over Bailey...

Carter is on the DL, and besides, he's supposedly a terrible defensive player, which I suppose means that Bailey can't help but being better defensively.

Wasn't Smith sent down to AAA relatively recently (i.e. within the 10 or 15 day no recall period)?

Also, according to some article in the Herald, Pauley was called up to be the just-in-case long reliever, due to the bullpen wipeout in the first game of the Texas series. And I'm not sure that Smith would qualify as a long reliever, even if he was eligible to be recalled, which I think (though not certain) he isn't yet.

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Wasn't Smith sent down to AAA relatively recently (i.e. within the 10 or 15 day no recall period)?

Also, according to some article in the Herald, Pauley was called up to be the just-in-case long reliever, due to the bullpen wipeout in the first game of the Texas series. And I'm not sure that Smith would qualify as a long reliever, even if he was eligible to be recalled, which I think (though not certain) he isn't yet.

Good point -- Smith was optioned back to PAW just last week (8/6). However... the 10-day period does not matter if he is replacing a player injured after he was demoted.

Crucis
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Good point -- Smith was optioned back to PAW just last week (8/6). However... the 10-day period does not matter if he is replacing a player injured after he was demoted.

I thought that there was a provision to that exception that required the player being recalled in case of injury to play a position similar to the player injured, i.e. pitcher replacing a pitcher, or position player replacing a position player.

homie564
08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
why call up bailey over carter... makes no sense to me

Crucis
08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
why call up bailey over carter... makes no sense to me

As I wrote above, Carter is on the DL right now.

But also, as I understand it, Carter totally stinks defensively.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I thought that there was a provision to that exception that required the player being recalled in case of injury to play a position similar to the player injured, i.e. pitcher replacing a pitcher, or position player replacing a position player.

I don't believe so. They only have to replace the injured player on the roster. At any rate, the point is moot: Smith would have replaced Wakefield.