PDA

View Full Version : what if?

urban legend
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
so like everyone here i expect the raptors to be at least a 5 seed , at least to go deep in the second round and for bosh and oneil to have monster years

but what if that doesn't happen?

is colangelo gone, coach fired, oneil trade criticzied
trade talk about bosh?

what do you think

The Wise 1
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I definetly think BC will take a lot of heat if the Oneal trade backfires. If Oneal gets hurt and misses something along the lines of 40 games, I really dont see the Raptors making the playoffs. Also, If that happens, I see Mitchell being the fall guy.

Tom Stone
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
I see mitchell as the fall guy to, if any problems start up......But, if o'neal is fine, I don't see any problms on the horizon............On a compleate differnt topic, will solomon looks like a capable back up, and he is 30, I wonder how he feels about being 3ed string......I can't wait for preseason , so Roko and Will can show what they got.......back up roll might be earned there.

JermanJaysFan
08-13-2008, 06:14 PM
If: O'Neal is healthy, Bosh is healthy, Jose is healthy but the Raptors start out badly, it is see ya to Sam.

If: O'Neal is unhealthy, then BC gets criticized, but nothing happens to him. He is too much of a golden boy.

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
BC aint going anywhere, the O'neal trade is a lock either way to be a positive. Either O'neal Dominates and we make it deep in the playoffs, Or he plays bad and his 23 million suddenly becomes a very attractive salary to take on because it is an expiring contract the year Leborn, Wade, etc hit the open market. This trade worked both ways for us when it was made. I personally believe O'neal will have an unreal season, his surgery was minor and rehab is quite quick when you are an athlete, had the same procdedure done when I played university ball. It can actually increase your vertical jump....

superfio
08-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Actually, it applies to every single team during every single season.

"What If" the star acquisition performs below-par... I mean, its just the nature of the game.

What If ... Elton Brand falls short of expectations?
What If ... Shaq O'Neil never bounces back?
What If ... Dwane Wade doesn't recover fully?
What If ... Iversen falls off the map this year.

Remember in the past, we've seen...

What If ... Grant Hill / Penny Hardaway / Alonso Mourning never injured themselves so badly
What If ... Vince Carter never whines out before he quits his job

So what, life moves on and Raptors will find themselves another legitimate star to carry the team and lift the fans in 2010.

torontosports10
08-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Heres the ebst part about the JO trade as i have said time and time again. If he sucks and is hurt then we have a huge expiring in time for the 2010 off-season. That could be very benefictional to us if we can re-sing bosh befor ehe becomes a FA. If he becomes a FA it still helps us to sign him or someone else if he decides to leave. OR do you know how much a 20 million expiring contract would be worth going into 2010? Think of it this way. Kwame was a 10 million expiring and he netted the Lakeshow Pau Gasol..

That is why i loved this deal, either way its a win win

RapsFan4Life
08-14-2008, 08:14 AM
sam has a bunch of years on his contract thanks to coach of the year ... and there is no way bosh has a bad season .. wont happen the question is Jermains health and that is uncontrollable by bryan and i still think its a spotlight trade to begin with weather it works out or not .. i think come playoff time is when jermain will have to step up and if he plays like ***** against dwight howard or Kevin garnett or big Z .. then ill personally go to ACC and throw an egg at him

IversonIsKrazy
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
thats a big if

travesy3
08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
BC hasn't done anything to make me confident in what he is doing as the GM thus far. The only move that I like is the signing of Parker. He should be the fall guy, not Mitchell. Remember, it took him what, 7 years to make a respectable team in Phoenix? He is a very solid GM, but has made just as many bad moves as good IMO.

conway429
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
BC hasn't done anything to make me confident in what he is doing as the GM thus far. The only move that I like is the signing of Parker. He should be the fall guy, not Mitchell. Remember, it took him what, 7 years to make a respectable team in Phoenix? He is a very solid GM, but has made just as many bad moves as good IMO.

What are you talking about... Phoenix has missed the playoffs 2 times in the last 20 years.
Sure, that 29 win team in 03/04 was a rough year, but that team had Marbury, Amare, Joe Johnson, Marion, Barbosa, and really should have performed better. The Suns have been a solid franchise for a long time, they certainly weren't considered a pathetic team for 7 years...
I hope we lock up BC, I don't know who you think is going to come in and do any better... have you forgotten who we've had as GMs before? Did you prefer Babcock?

Phoenix Suns Year-by-Year (http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/records_phoenix_suns.htm)

GCOOKIE7
08-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a better question! What if Garbo never got injured?

star
08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
if the raps do not make it to the 2nd round both Sam and bc should be fired

conway429
08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
if the raps do not make it to the 2nd round both Sam and bc should be fired

baaahh, i dunno dude....
bc's only been here 2 years... do you guys remember the mess our team was when he took over? he made some nice, small changes, and we exceeded expectations by winning the division his first full year.
last year was a bit of a letdown, but still not disastrous... even if we get knocked out again first round, we should still hold on to him at least another year.
has he not put together a contender? i think we're looking pretty nice heading into the season, and what more do you want from him?
i can agree with replacing mitchell with someone better, but why BC?
only make significant changes like that when they can improve your team. we can get a better coach, but can we get much better of a GM? probably not.
dont make drastic changes just for the sake of mixing it up.

kanersen
08-15-2008, 08:01 AM
wow
2 playoffs in 2 years and there's already talk of firing the guy

robert_goulet
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
If our team is healthly almost anyone can coach us into the playoffs, if sam mitchell somehow messes that up, or gets out coached as bad as he did last year in the playoffs, he should definitly be gone. In my opinion sam mitchell is a horrible coach I could go into detail but you guys watched the games.

kanersen
08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
i was talking about bc not mitchell
yeah, i believe the only reason mitchell was saved last year was so he could be the sacrificial lamb this season

hades
08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I dont think BC will be fired solely for the oneil trade... even if it doesnt pan out.. SAM in the other hand will be GONE:

on a differet note.. i know in the past that ive always said kapono will be untradable till maybe dead line but now that BEN GORDON might be on the table.. im thinking how GORDON could fit in the new raptors style.

what will it take for the raps to trade for GORDON?

kanersen
08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
why would we even want ben gordon for what he's asking

gordon wants luol deng money

i dont want the raps to dish out 12 mill a year for an undersized chucker

to answer your question i'm pretty sure the bulls would take expirings for gordon, which means we'd have to give up parker to make it work

even outside the contract demands, thats too much to give up for my taste