PDA

View Full Version : 3 Team Deal Done-Bucks,Cavs, OKC

Jon0423
08-13-2008, 02:51 PM
From Ohio.com (http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/26919019.html)

An NBA executive said the Cavaliers, in a trade expected to be completed later today, finally have acquired a top-level point guard in executing a six-player, three-team deal.

The Milwaukee Bucks traded point guard Mo Williams to the Cavs in exchange for the expiring contracts of guard Damon Jones and forward Joe Smith. As part of the deal, the Bucks will receive Jones and Oklahoma City point guard Luke Ridnour. Oklahoma City acquires Smith and Bucks forward Desmond Mason. Oklahoma City also will send swingman Adrian Griffin to the Bucks.

Just saw it on SC cant i think this is what it was but not 100 percent but they said it has been done

Bucks Get:
Damon Jones
Luke Ridnour

Cavs Get:
Mo Williams

OKC Gets:
Joe Smith
Desmond Mason

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
3 team trade between the Bucks/CAVS/OKC

Just watching Sports Center they said the trade is pending

Cavs Get:
G-Mo Williams

Bucks Gets:
G-Damon Jones
G-Luke Ridnour
G/F-Adrian Griffin

OKC Gets
F-Joe Smith
F-Desmond Mason

Jay22Redd
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Lebron gets a good scorer in Mo, good deal.

AgentViet
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
The Bucks are crazy... Ridnour has a bad contract and is nowhere near Mo Will's talent level. Good trade by OKC dumping his contract and acquiring some expirings. Looks like LeBron is going to get some help, don't see enough PT for West and Gibson now though.

still1ballin
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Cavs just got a lot better.

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
mo williams isnt that great.

Jon0423
Interesting move on the bucks part i think. Maybe milwauke is trading for expirings to offer to chicago so skiles can have his man hinrich.

stevefrancis
so the cavs won't resign west unless he accepts less money.

oldenpolynice
08-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Terrible deal for the Bucks. Why the rush to get Mo out of town?

Maybe he's a headcase?

lakers4sho
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Cavs got a little better, still not enough to push them over the top.

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Terrible deal for the Bucks. Why the rush to get Mo out of town?

Maybe he's a headcase?

everyone keeps sayin terrible deal for bucks???? WHY

Mo Williams isnt that good. Is he the worst pg in the NBA not at all. But hes not the answer to Lebron needing help AT ALL.

still1ballin
08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
mo williams isnt that great.

Last season he averaged 17.2 pts and 6.4 assists a game, thats not bad for what they gave up.

fairandbalanced
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
It must be a lie..........can't see it anywhere!!!!

zamudio_jorge
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
4 years remaining in mo contract and they obviously want sessions as a starter, but if ridnour contract was 1 year remaining the trade is ok but its 2 years so the trade was not so good but not bad.

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
This is weird cuz Damon Jones was on First Take this morning

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Last season he averaged 17.2 pts and 6.4 assists a game, thats not bad for what they gave up.

i gurantee he wont average any where near that on the cavs in and important role.

Gmen824
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I knew the cavs were up too something this off-season.

NYKnickFanatic
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Yay, Cavs finally making moves!

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
It's a good deal for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and i think they are still planning on improving the PF Spot if Hickson didn't perform well in the Pre Season Games.

fairandbalanced
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
link?

Jon0423
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
The cavs need a 2nd tier PF or Center. Like what Ray Allen is for the Celtics.

Posbbily Trade for Zach Randolph? it will give them Ben wallace and Randoph for the PF postion-2 Completly diffrent players would be a good change up

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
link?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/26919019.html

This is a lopsided thread, but who cares this increases our chances to win 52 games next season.

Mo Williams > Eric Snow

Da_Great_White
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Okc Made Out Big Time In This Deal Picking Up Mason, Mason And Durant Should Be Some Fun

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
The cavs need a 2nd tier PF or Center. Like what Ray Allen is for the Celtics. cant really think of anyone that is avaible

How about getting Zach Randolph from the NY Knicks. Last season he averaged 17-10 in the regular season. He is not good defensively, but Mike Brown can teach him how to play defense in the regular season.

Jon0423
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
How about getting Zach Randolph from the NY Knicks. Last season he averaged 17-10 in the regular season. He is not good defensively, but Mike Brown can teach him how to play defense in the regular season.

Just edited that post before you posted yours, but yeah thats what i was thinkin

conejito
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Why would the Cavs make this deal when Smush Parker is still available?

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
This is weird cuz Damon Jones was on First Take this morning

Ya i saw that to and they were talking about the trade last year .

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Is Mo Williams going to start?

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Why would the Cavs make this deal when Smush Parker is still available?

I hope that was a joke.

Devils05
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Is Mo Williams going to start?If not why would they have traded for him?

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Mo Williams will start for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Daniel Gibson will play the role of a Steve Kerr a 3 points shooter, who will provide some decent scoring off the bench.

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 03:29 PM

He should who else do they have Boobie but, he is more of a 6th man. I don't think that they will resign west now.

infamous
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow, thanks for the the gift if it's true. My cavs will definitely improve. This is a great deal for the cavs without losing too much (but I will miss smith). And they still have the expiring contracts of wally and andy.

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I like it all the way around OKC gets the best part, they get like 10 million in expirings and a bad contract out of the way. Milwaukee gets to give Ramon Sessions more PT and potentionally be a very solid starting PG and Luke is a solid backup PG who expires in 2010. Cleveland gets a good PG for very cheap and he is a good scorer

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Just edited that post before you posted yours, but yeah thats what i was thinkin

Zach is pretty underrated because he played on some crappy teams in his NBA Career, but i think that he is a much better player than Anderson Varejao, and he is going to be a great Fit for the Cavs, who needs an scoring PF because Z and Big Ben were limited by the Celtics in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

TheShock45
08-13-2008, 03:33 PM
bucks are the only team that buys and sells at the same time

anyway they got screwed damon jones = worst player ever i hope he rots in milwaukee and has to play in iran next year

Lebron23
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow, thanks for the the gift if it's true. My cavs will definitely improve. This is a great deal for the cavs without losing too much (but I will miss smith). And they still have the expiring contracts of wally and andy.

Mo is the Cavaliers best PG since Terrell Brandon and Andre Miller. :)

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM

anyway they got screwed damon jones = worst player ever i hope he rots in milwaukee and has to play in iran next year

lol..illl agree Damon Jones sucks but he isnt the WORST player ever.

Delonte West played really really well for the Cavs an stepped it up in the playoffs. Mo Williams is far from the answer. Maybe the cavs wont sign West and he can come back to the C's and backup Rondo. he did like it here in Boston

LayZbone
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Whats the projected starting lineup?

Zeke
Big Ben
Lebron
Wally
Mo

?

infamous
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM

:laugh::laugh: Thanks for the laugh! :D

infamous
08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
It's up, and it's official! :clap:

MilwaukeeBAller
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
The Bucks dealt Mo Williams away because they feel like Ramon Sessions is the next Chris Paul. I just feel like they should have gotten more for Mo.

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Damon is an expiring tho

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, it seems the Cavs have found there second scorer. And they did so without giving up their largest expiring contract. This means we could be looking to make another deal during this season.

I like Mo Williams game in college & was surprised that he slid to the 2nd round.

Now we will see if he can mesh with LeBron & Z, and if he can play alongside Boobie at all.

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
wow this deal doesnt make much sense to me form teh bucks point of view.....

The cavs did get a lot better.. and mo williams is an above average pg.. pretty good pick up...

They now have west and Mo will, and boobie?

West played really well ast year in the playoffs.

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Whats the projected starting lineup?

Zeke
Big Ben
Lebron
Wally
Mo

?

Oh yeahhhhh Thats a championship team right there...You can pretty much guarantee a Wally injury aswell

Yogi
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Great, the Cavs traded their best inside player!

michaelb2254
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Joe Smith traded? No way

hyp21
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
sucks for damon. On first take spouting off at the mouth how he's the world's greatest shooter and he's there to teach LJ and Daniel Gibson to be better shooters....now he's in milwaukee.

*Superman*
08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
IMO it is a good deal for the Cavs, Smith and Jones for Williams. They are the winners.

weebs
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
cavs get a steal, an underrated player in mo williams. it's not enough to bring them to the top of the east, but it does address a really problematic position for them and you have to applaud them for not standing pat.

amazing deal for OKC - they get some much needed depth, an athletic defender in desmond mason as well as joe smith, who is another big body up front to help when Swift and Petro inevitably fail or fall to injury.

The Bucks get hosed. Ridnour is a terrible PG who doesn't play defense.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
wow this deal doesnt make much sense to me form teh bucks point of view.....

The cavs did get a lot better.. and mo williams is an above average pg.. pretty good pick up...

They now have west and Mo will, and boobie?

West played really well ast year in the playoffs.

West is still a F/A.

We might force him to take the 1 yr tender or sign someone else's offer sheet for us to match.

He won't want to return under the 1 yr tender, because his PT is surely to decrease with the acquisition of Mo Williams.

rapswin98
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
lebron needs more help in my opinion mo williams isn't enough

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
wow good addition, lebron gets help in scoring

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
In terms of talent the Cavs got the best end of the trade, easily.

But in terms of salary cap ramifications, they got the worst end of it.

But that's the trade off that we had to make in order to bring in a secondary scorer behind LeBron James.

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 04:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the Mo Williams Trade, What do the Cavs do, I say the Cavs do

Cleveland Gets:
Jamal Crawford
Zach Randolph

New York Gets:
Wally
Anderson Varejao
Sasha Pavlovic
2009 1st Round Pick

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the Mo Williams Trade, What do the Cavs do, I say the Cavs do

Cleveland Gets:
Jamal Crawford
Zach Randolph

New York Gets:
Wally
Anderson Varejao
Sasha Pavlovic
2009 1st Round Pick

They would have a good starting 5 But absolutely no bench at all

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Cavs Lineup
PG: Mo Williams
SG: Jamal Crawford
SF: Lebron James
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Big Z/Ben Wallace

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM

The Cavs still have the expiring contract of Wally & Anderson Varejao, who can opt out of his contract after this year. So they could still realistically make another big trade once the season begins.

infamous
08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Help is still coming (I hope). The cavs still have expiring contracts.

Baller1
08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm glad they traded Luke. I liked him, and now he can go try to get his career back on track elsewhere.

grega1976
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
mo will is way over rated.... he's a Mike James clone!!!!

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm glad they traded Luke. I liked him, and now he can go try to get his career back on track elsewhere.

I agree. He needed to get traded.

Ridnour was great a few years ago, but then lost his confidence. Hopefully this change of scenery can get him going again.

He's always among the league leaders in A/T ratio & steals. Along with Sessions, they should rack up a lot of assists playing alongside those other bigtime scorers.

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
mo will is way over rated.... he's a Mike James clone!!!!

people say mike james is god lol

rzrk12
08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I think it's funny reading this thread. I can tell from the posts that most here have not actually seen Mo Williams play (not that I blame them.)

Sure, he can score, but he is not a huge threat that is going to free up LeBron a whole lot. On a real team he'd probably be scoring 12-14 points per game, the Bucks were just so terrible that he was throwing up lots of garbage shots.

And as far as being a real point guard goes, he's about as shoot-first as you can get.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I think it's funny reading this thread. I can tell from the posts that most here have not actually seen Mo Williams play (not that I blame them.)

Sure, he can score, but he is not a huge threat that is going to free up LeBron a whole lot. On a real team he'd probably be scoring 12-14 points per game, the Bucks were just so terrible that he was throwing up lots of garbage shots.

And as far as being a real point guard goes, he's about as shoot-first as you can get.

We really are weak at SG.

So the Cavs may plan to re sign West as the PG & play Williams for stretches at SG. 12-14 ppg is more than any PG or SG averaged on our team last season, so that would be a welcome addition. I think he'll probably average around 15 ppg for the Cavs. He should get a lot of open 3 pointers.

sugarrayray
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
theres no way the bucks should have thrown d mase in too, they got ripped off soo bad, williams is better than ridnour and mason is better than jones, this is sooo stupid....and no picks either??? **** that trade

rzrk12
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh and I hope you aren't expecting him to play any defense because he's atrocious there.

bleedprple&gold
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Just when I thought the Bucks would be back in the playoffs, they pull off a stunt like this. Mo and Mason for Ridnour, Jones, and Griffin. They gave up the two best players in the trade for garbage. I guess they are trying to cut salary after acquiring Jefferson and giving Bogut a big extension. They must think Sessions is ready to be a starter...

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
They must think Sessions is ready to be a starter...

Or Ridnour is a better fit with their current team than Williams?

News flash: The Bucks weren't a good team last season. Simply adding Jefferson wasn't going to dramatically alter things. Switching up PG's might not have been the worst idea to mix things up.

rzrk12
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
I guess some people aren't getting what the Bucks were doing here so I will try to break it down for them.

Mo Williams has a bad, bad, bad, BAD contract that their former idiot GM Larry Harris signed him to. The Bucks just wanted to unload him, while securing a backup PG (Ramon Sessions will start this season as he looks to be a much truer PG than Mo was)

Desmond Mason is basically just a declining swingman who relies on his athleticism for his game. Wanted to dump his 1-year contract as well since he's on the verge of being practically useless and they can use the room to maybe pick up another piece.

It's simply a salary dumping trade that also frees up the starting PG position for Ramon Sessions.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
It's simply a salary dumping trade that also frees up the starting PG position for Ramon Sessions.

And Smith is a serviceable backup big man. I will miss him much more than Damon Jones.

Also, you could possibly trade one or two of these expiring contracts in a later trade to acquire draft picks from a team looking to cut salary this summer?

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I actually really like this deal for every team. Makes sense. Mo can score, and will help Lebron. The Bucks get some solid players, nothing great, but good return for Williams. I like Mason and think he could help the Oklahoma City (Enter Team Name here). Smith is a solid big man off the bench.

The funny thing is that Damon Jones was on first take, talking all good stuff about Lebron!

rzrk12
08-13-2008, 04:35 PM
And another thing people won't understand in this unless they are a Bucks fan is that even with the RJ trade and the "big three" of Mo/Redd/Jefferson we were probably looking, at best, at a 40-42 or 42-40 season where we sneak into the playoffs in the crappy eastern conference.

We're sick of that.

This trade tells me that the Bucks are tired of shoot-first non-defense playing PGs and want to build a legit contender in the long run. I'm glad Mo and his contract are gone and hope Hammond continues down this path. It would be nice for once to have a real playoff team and not a crappy one that sneaks into the first round and gets swept out by the Celtics or Pistons.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
The funny thing is that Damon Jones was on first take, talking all good stuff about Lebron!

LeBron & Jones are very tight. Although they are now on different teams I am sure that they will remain close friends & Jones will still have the utmost respect for James' abilities.

_Sn1P3r_
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
LeBron & Jones are very tight. Although they are now on different teams I am sure that they will remain close friends & Jones will still have the utmost respect for James' abilities.

Yup they will. I will miss their handshakes though now that they split up.

And by acquiring Mo, he and Wally will be the starting backcourt. Will the bench backcourt be West/Gibson and then move Pavlovic to SF?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM

How is a chucker?

He shot 48% from the field. and 38% from 3pt.

He played with Redd that guy shoots a ton, I think if he can average 17 with Redd he will average 20 with LeBron. LeBron can make players better while Redd doesn't really help players get better.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Yup they will. I will miss their handshakes though now that they split up.

And by acquiring Mo, he and Wally will be the starting backcourt. Will the bench backcourt be West/Gibson and then move Pavlovic to SF?

I am not sure West will be a Cav. I don't see him signing to be a backup. I think Wally will get trade and so will Andy maybe for a SG and a PF.

JAZZNC
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd say he's a pretty damn good PG. Much better than anything that the Cavs have got. He's really improved since coming into the NBA, he never did much for the Jazz and then he kinda blew up.

rzrk12
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I'd say he's a pretty damn good PG. Much better than anything that the Cavs have got. He's really improved since coming into the NBA, he never did much for the Jazz and then he kinda blew up.

He's not a good point guard. He's a good scorer which is what the Cavs want. But not a good point guard by any means.

if you don't believe me, you'll see for yourself this year.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
How is a chucker?

He shot 48% from the field. and 38% from 3pt.

He played with Redd that guy shoots a ton, I think if he can average 17 with Redd he will average 20 with LeBron. LeBron can make players better while Redd doesn't really help players get better.

He is a chucker.

But let's see if that can change in a winning atmosphere. He has never played on a winning NBA team before. Even when he was with Utah they weren't good.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
He is a chucker.

But let's see if that can change in a winning atmosphere. He has never played on a winning NBA team before. Even when he was with Utah they weren't good.

I think we need a guy not afraid to shoot. Everybody stands around watching LeBron do his thing. I am not sure if that's players fault or Brown's fault.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
He's not a good point guard. He's a good scorer which is what the Cavs want. But not a good point guard by any means.

if you don't believe me, you'll see for yourself this year.

The Cavs weren't necessarily desperate for a PG, with LeBron doing most of the facilitating anyway.

What we needed was another player who could create shots for himself and others. We had too many guys who can't create shots for themselves or others (Wallace, Smith, Jones, Wally, Varejao, Gibson).

Z can create for himself, but not others. West was mediocre at doing so, but he attempted to create for himself & others. LeBron was really the only one that could do it. And if someone can't do that to get the jump shooters the ball when they're open then they have no role at all (Wally, Gibson, Jones).

Williams will play off the ball much more often than he did in Milwaukee, with LeBron handling the rock often. Redd didn't have the best ballhandling skills, so Williams was stuck doing most of the ballhandling in Milwaukee.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Good trade on all sides

bleedprple&gold
08-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Mo Williams has a bad, bad, bad, BAD contract that their former idiot GM Larry Harris signed him to.

Ahhh...I did not know that. The owner or somebody should have stepped him and not let him sign Mo to $52 mil deal when he wasn't in their long term plans. They are lucky they were able to find a taker for his contract.

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Ahhh...I did not know that. The owner or somebody should have stepped him and not let him sign Mo to $52 mil deal when he wasn't in their long term plans.

Didn't Williams sign the $52 million offer sheet with Miami & then the Bucks simply matched it? :eyebrow:

IndiansFan337
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I guess this isn't quite official yet:

Mo Williams is headed for Cleveland in a three-team trade expected to be announced later tonight, according to NBA sources. Oklahoma City will acquire Desmond Mason from the Bucks and veteran forward Joe Smith from the Cleveland Cavaliers. Oklahoma City will send point guard Luke Ridnour and Adrian Griffin to Milwaukee. To complete the deal, Milwaukee will send point guard Mo Williams to Cleveland. The Cavs are also sending Damon Jones to the Bucks.
Both Smith and Mason have expiring contracts, which will give Oklahoma City more salary cap space next summer. Ridnour's contract comes off the books in two years, whereas Cleveland will owe Williams $43 million over the next five seasons. Contrary to most speculation, Delonte West was not involved in the deal, leaving him in restricted free agency -- and with a much smaller role on the Cavs, should he be re-signed. Williams' stats shouldn't change much, as he'll still look for scoring opportunities while splitting play-making duties with LeBron. Assuming it doesn't fall through in the next couple of hours, of course.
Rotoworld.com

superkegger
08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I like the deal for the Bucks. I know some people love mo williams, but I'm just not a fan. Ridnour used to be good, and even if he doesn't pan out for the bucks, he's far less expensive. And who knows, maybe he'll fit with what skiles does and having redd and rj and bogut around him might make him a better player. Either way though the bucks lose Williams contract which is clearly way too big, and the cavs now have 3 pgs. Not that they really lost anything of real value in this deal, but I'm not sold on Mo being the answer to their pg problems.

BRADfromOZ
08-13-2008, 05:56 PM
What were the bucks thinking? That is a bad deal for them. IMO Mo was better than any of their incoming players.

Rockets Fanatic
08-13-2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249059

Dirty Dirk41
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Cleveland still sucks. Wont win anything. Mo Williams is not what they need.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Cleveland still sucks. Wont win anything. Mo Williams is not what they need.

Williams is what the Cavaliers do need. What you said wasn't thinking logically obviously.

bleedprple&gold
08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Didn't Williams sign the $52 million offer sheet with Miami & then the Bucks simply matched it? :eyebrow:

Yes, I think you are right. But if that is the case they should have just let him walk instead of overpaying

Chronz
08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
What were the bucks thinking? That is a bad deal for them. IMO Mo was better than any of their incoming players.

Ever heard of addition by subtraction, Ridnour could end up being the better fit.

lakers4sho
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes, I think you are right. But if that is the case they should have just let him walk instead of overpaying

Well if they just let him walk they would've gotten nothing in return...