PDA

View Full Version : David Laurila interview with Lars Anderson

ThreeIfBaerga
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Really a great read, this kid is something else.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7940

bosox1899
08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
well its about time someone gives good intelligent answers and not the textbook answers most athletes give that are usually one line answers with no substance to it, Lars sounds like a very intelligent person, can't wait to see him in the majors someday, hopefully september :pray:

i am bob
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I've always like Lars. He's our future 1B/DH. I read an article about him similar to this and i really think he could excell in the Majors. :clap:

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Damn, he does sound very intelligent. I look forward to seeing him smash opposing pitchers in a few years.

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
for being 20 years of age...he's got a level head on him and i too look forward to seeing him respresent the sox eventually. another musician comes thru the doors.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Gammons, Theo and Lars jammin......

I love his responses especially about pushing kids into BB. I've seen that so many times it makes me sick. Parents using LL or BB to babysit their kids. Then they complain they aren't playing. Well maybe they need to be sure the kids even like it first. Sad really......

I can't imagine that same line of questioning for many players or get anywhere near those responses. RS draft some solid kids.

Tankjeep
08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Gammons, Theo and Lars jammin......

I love his responses especially about pushing kids into BB. I've seen that so many times it makes me sick. Parents using LL or BB to babysit their kids. Then they complain they aren't playing. Well maybe they need to be sure the kids even like it first. Sad really......

I can't imagine that same line of questioning for many players or get anywhere near those responses. RS draft some solid kids.

i agree, i coach soccer and the same can be said about that sport too. let the kids decide....if they dislike sports and want to become the next great scientist then so be it. too many parents have their own agendas and don't allow the kids to decide for themself.

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
^^^ I agree with the sentiment here, though I think it's worth "pushing" kids into things they sometimes might not otherwise try. I don't think that deciding your 5yr old is a future MLBer makes sense... I'm talking about getting them involved in things just for the experience. We have made our kids try a lot of different things and been surprised where they've caught on.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
^^^ I agree with the sentiment here, though I think it's worth "pushing" kids into things they sometimes might not otherwise try. I don't think that deciding your 5yr old is a future MLBer makes sense... I'm talking about getting them involved in things just for the experience. We have made our kids try a lot of different things and been surprised where they've caught on.

Two different things. I'm talking about kids who ALREADY know they hate it. Getting kids involved sure they have no clue at 5-6-7-8 yrs old.
My kids played every sport at one time or another but we never pushed they asked. As little kids they got enrolled. :D
After that try and stop them. But not all kids are like that some literally use sports as a babysitter. Or I should say parents do.....

Sports are great outlets no doubts and kids need to find niches. Once they like or do well at certain sports then the genie is hard to put back in the bottle.

Lars is a DEEP thinker. Imagine say a rapper answering those same questions. Man I could have fun with that one. :D

ThreeIfBaerga
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM

That's actually one of the things the Sox focus on. Even Buchholz, they questioned him mercilessly about the thing with the laptops. Being able to hold your own in Boston is something that has to be taken into account when projecting these kids at the MLB level.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Are you saying kids in Boston steal laptops? :D

ThreeIfBaerga
08-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Are you saying kids in Boston steal laptops? :D

Like pros. It's important to see if the kid can handle it, because there's plenty of money to be made on stolen laptops.

quiksilver2491
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Thats how my dad got me involved in little league, he never really pushed it on me but he just signed me up because every kid has to try things and the majority would never ask to play baseball at age 5, they are more interested in Power Rangers or whatever else is around now lol. At the time I really didn't care for baseball and I was a pretty bad little leaguer, and I pretty much couldn't care for playing baseball on an organized team until I grew up but by then I was far too old for little league.

So my Freshman year in High School I picked it up again, and this time I had a much more genuine love and passion for the game. So much so that I actually started at SS about half way into the season my freshman year after not playing for a good 6-7 years. Looking back on it im glad my dad signed me up for baseball, I only wish I would have been smart enough back then to cherish the oppurtunity.