PDA

View Full Version : Jose Calderon responds to Spanish controversy

JWalk126
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/jose-calderon-responds-to-spanish-controversy/)

I would like to share a story with you about something that happened with the Spanish National Team that someone interpreted incorrectly. It happened in the photo session where the Spanish National Team was introduced; one of our sponsors asked us to pose with a “wink” to our participation in Beijing, we made an oriental expression with our eyes. We thought it was something appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving. Never the less some of the European media did not see it this way.

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I will say I am with Jose on this, I dont think this was done with bad intentions..

RapsFan4Life
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
jose is a good man and so is the rest of the spanish team, to come out and say that it was all in good faith publicly while you are busy training and practicing is big, give the spainish a break ... i still think its funny

sep11ie
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I still think it was a shot. But **** it, China's ho ***** cut off our national anthem in the middle of it, so I think their slanted eyed ***** deserve it! USA USA

jimbobjarree
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
still a ******** thing to do....and Spaniards are known for their racism

FOBolous
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
yea i'm sure he doesn't understand the racism behind their actions. The Spanish are known for their stupidity and retardation regarding racism. To them...nothing is racist...To them, you can make fun and mock any race you want because it's just "fun and games."

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=ro-spain081308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Spanish sports is no stranger to racial controversy.

Luis Aragones, the head coach of Spain’s men’s soccer team, was overheard telling his player Jose Antonio Reyes to “tell that black (expletive) you are better than him” at a training session in 2004. Aragones was referring to Thierry Henry, a black player from France who was then a teammate of Reyes at English Premier League club Arsenal.

Aragones also struggled to understand what all the fuss was about, even as anti-racism groups seethed and soccer’s power brokers held their heads.

At a Formula One motor racing testing session this year, a group of Spanish fans believed to be supporting home driver Fernando Alonso were pictured with their faces covered with black paint. They wore T-shirts with the slogan “Hamilton’s Family,” a reference to Alonso’s world title rival Lewis Hamilton, a black Englishman.

Moreover, at an exhibition match in Madrid in 2004, several black members of the England men’s soccer team were subjected to monkey chants and whistles whenever they touched the ball.

the bolded part is espcially f-ed up. Yea i'm sure the monkey chants and whistles are "appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving" in Jose Calderon's words.

daleja424
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
yea i'm sure he doesn't understand the racism behind their actions. The Spanish are known for their stupidity and retardation regarding racism. To them...nothing is racist...To them, you can make fun and mock any race you want because it's just "fun and games."

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=ro-spain081308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

the bolded part is espcially f-ed up. Yea i'm sure the monkey chants and whistles are "appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving" in Jose Calderon's words.

ya...spain is effed up...

(btw...nice team usa sig)

94press
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
What is the sponsor doing there making that kind of comment with a photog taking photographs?

94press.com

Hellcrooner
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
The funny thing is the corporation they where doing the foto for advertisement IS ASIAN.

Fobolous, racism is everywhere, and Usa is not precisely a country where there isnt Racism,

I was denied the key to the WC in a gas station in Texas, does it make it all the Americans Racist?

Come on!!!!!

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I still think it was a shot. But **** it, China's ho ***** cut off our national anthem in the middle of it, so I think their slanted eyed ***** deserve it! USA USA

You took it way too far buddy..

daleja424
08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
The funny thing is the corporation they where doing the foto for advertisement IS ASIAN.

Fobolous, racism is everywhere, and Usa is not precisely a country where there isnt Racism,

I was denied the key to the WC in a gas station in Texas, does it make it all the Americans Racist?

Come on!!!!!

thats not cool... did you ask for the key to the WC tho...b/c no one in texas knows what a WC is... maybe they didnt understand? :confused:

Reezy
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
still a ******** thing to do....and Spaniards are known for their racism
*looks at jimbobjarree's screenname and avatar*

Riiight.

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
it was meant in a good way

sep11ie
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Come on!!!!!

They prob thought you were a dumb Mexican. I mean shoot, close enough.

24/7 All Day
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
it was meant in a good way

:laugh2: are u ********? OR ARE YOUR EYES SLANTED? can u see the image clearly?

how was that meant in a good way? an homage to china ?:rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
thats not cool... did you ask for the key to the WC tho...b/c no one in texas knows what a WC is... maybe they didnt understand? :confused:

I tried to go in, it was closed, i asked for them to open it and they said no because they only wanted americans to use it.

But the point here is.

I stayed for 30 + Days, hired a Car in NJ went driving all over the country to SFran down to L.A east to MIA and Up tp NJ again .

In all that span of time i only had 2 racist incidentes that one in texas and a bar tender not serving me in NY ( i was old enough) and the only otehr incident was a thug pointing me with a gun in NO.

Does it makes it all americans Racist or THugs?

NO.

So why generalize over what for example a single person as its the Soccers coach do?

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
:laugh2: are u ********? OR ARE YOUR EYES SLANTED? can u see the image clearly?

how was that meant in a good way? an homage to china ?:rolleyes:

lol it was calm down :cool:

daleja424
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I tried to go in, it was closed, i asked for them to open it and they said no because they only wanted americans to use it.

But the point here is.

I stayed for 30 + Days, hired a Car in NJ went driving all over the country to SFran down to L.A east to MIA and Up tp NJ again .

In all that span of time i only had 2 racist incidentes that one in texas and a bar tender not serving me in NY ( i was old enough) and the only otehr incident was a thug pointing me with a gun in NO.

Does it makes it all americans Racist or THugs?

NO.

So why generalize over what for example a single person as its the Soccers coach do?

I apologize on behalf of my country then... but thats not how most of are...

Hellcrooner
08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
i Know americans and america isnt like that, just imagine 30 days, you meet a lot of bartenders, restaurant chiefs, gas tenders, people in shops, hotel staff etc etc etc, y may have talked to 1000 persons in that span of time and only 3 of theme were morons.

If any of you stayed for 30 days here in spain you would come to similar conlusion.