PDA

View Full Version : Coach K: Melo "getting progressively better" - Melo aiming for rebound record

DenButsu
08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Anthony fuels U.S. cruise
With the Nuggets forward providing 12 points and a team-high six rebounds, the Americans rout Angola. Next up is a game vs. Greece.

Tuesday's game was also an opportunity for the Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony to actually contribute. Anthony, who struggled against China, made long-range jump shots and attacked the basket. He hit 4-of-6 shots, scored 12 points and grabbed a team-high six rebounds in nearly 21 minutes.

"I think Carmelo is getting progressively better," Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He's getting really in good game shape. He hasn't been shooting well. But today he didn't concentrate on shooting, he concentrated on rebounding. And then the shots came. We haven't shot the ball well from the outside since we've been here, but I believe we will. To see Carmelo come on like that, it's encouraging."

Yes, it was against Angola, a team Krzyzewski probably could have scored double figures against. But it was important for Anthony to get his confidence back.

"I told Coach before this tournament, I'm going to try to get the record 16 rebounds in one of these games," Anthony said. "I know I can score at any given time, but I'll leave the scoring up to Kobe (Bryant), LeBron (James) and Dwyane Wade he's playing fantastic right now. So if I can go out there and grab 16 rebounds, that's a whole lot better for the team than scoring 20, 25 points. That's my role, rebound and defend."denverpost
(http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10182401)

Melo, I don't think I've ever heard you say anything that sounded that spot on. Now go out there and back up those comments on the court, and you'll be putting smiles on the faces of a lot of Nuggets fans - and USA basketball fans.

C-Dub
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
he can do it, i think?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I think he can do it... He'll hafta hustle, box out, be agressive, stay active, and most importantly, he'll hafta WANT IT more than anyone. I think Melo is capable of this. Hopefully he gets it.

Nugget Tony
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
That would be cool...

IBleedPurple
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Maybe on the opposite side of the world he plays exactly opposite from here.

If this guy played D, rebounded, and PASSED, we could be a good team. Now a PG who can pass and play D.......

avsman05
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Good job Melo if you can rack up 16 boards against greece or spain that would be incredible.

Tian Tian Boy
08-13-2008, 09:35 PM
he can do it in the next games.. melo is so aggressive under the boards.. just a bit worried seeing him playing against bigger players. he rebounds and steals the ball..