PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 or Battier?

Chronz
08-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Word on the street is AK may be on the market, would you trade Battier for him. He could play PF next to Artest better than Battier could and is at his best when he can play help defense off of non-shooting bigmen.

goku
08-13-2008, 07:32 AM
ak47 suck and his contract is is huge

Manos
08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
If they were both making the same amount on the same length of contract I'd think about it. But Battier defends the 2 really well and I don't watch enough of Utah's games to know if AK can do the same, but I've always felt he's better at defending the 3/4 instead of 2/3. From what I have seen of his game I don't think that he could, and that is really where I think Battier's value is for us/McGrady. If we made the switch then Tracy would have to guard Kobe, Roy, Ginobili, etc...

{}
08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
...what ever happened to the salary cap? It'll take at least 10m per season to resign Artest, and then the rockets somehow find a way to add another max contract to the 2 they already have? And that isn't mentioning that 8 million per season contract that some fans think Landry is worth. ;)

TMAC94
08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
battiers 7 mil or whatever

to

ak47s 15 or whatever?

e

BenFrank
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd stick with Battier, AK not that good of a shooter, and like many have said his contract is a little healty, over-rated IMO battier will defend the 2's and 3's better and can spot up and knock down the open 3

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Word on the street is AK may be on the market, would you trade Battier for him. He could play PF next to Artest better than Battier could and is at his best when he can play help defense off of non-shooting bigmen.

He makes more than double than Battier.

prash
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Battier > AK47

nickymintz
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
AK47 is a good player but everyone in Houston hates him.
Everyone loves Battier.
AK47 is a cry baby, Battier never complains even when we had him come off the bench a few games last season.

Rox07
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Battier is better than Kirlienko.

Battier makes A LOT less money than him.

Battier doesn't cry when he doesn't get enough playing time.

Seems pretty obvious that Battier is the better choice.

sep11ie
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
AK47 is a good player but everyone in Houston hates him.
Everyone loves Battier.
AK47 is a cry baby, Battier never complains even when we had him come off the bench a few games last season.

Totally agree!

HouRealCoach
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
This would make us worse and Jazz better

rhino17
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I actually think overall talent wise, AK is the better player because he is more versatile offensively. That being said, he is a huge puss and I wouldnt want him on the team

bball1217
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
No thanks.

Plus salaries do not match.

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Battier is better than Kirlienko.

Battier makes A LOT less money than him.

Battier doesn't cry when he doesn't get enough playing time.

Seems pretty obvious that Battier is the better choice.

battier is not better.

Jay22Redd
08-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I honestly think Battier is a better all around player.

SC1211
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
AK is a better overall player, but Battier fits the team better with our defensive scheme. Plus the salary.

fukudome.ftw
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
AK def.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
If they were both making the same amount on the same length of contract I'd think about it. But Battier defends the 2 really well and I don't watch enough of Utah's games to know if AK can do the same, but I've always felt he's better at defending the 3/4 instead of 2/3. From what I have seen of his game I don't think that he could, and that is really where I think Battier's value is for us/McGrady. If we made the switch then Tracy would have to guard Kobe, Roy, Ginobili, etc...
AK cant guard the perimeter players the way Battier can but hes better at guarding 4's than Artest is. And if Battier is to get significant playing time it will be with Artest at the 4, with AK you can hound Kobe with Artest and AK can supply the help defense. The lack of shooting shouldnt be too much of an issue if hes playing the 4 spot, in fact he will spread the floor better than any of the Rockets current PF's.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
...what ever happened to the salary cap? It'll take at least 10m per season to resign Artest, and then the rockets somehow find a way to add another max contract to the 2 they already have? And that isn't mentioning that 8 million per season contract that some fans think Landry is worth. ;)
Isnt having a better team worth going over the salary cap?

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:23 PM
He makes more than double than Battier.

That should go without saying, Battier+FILLERS

It can be accomplished

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I honestly think Battier is a better all around player.

AK is the better passer, rebounder, and overall offensive threat. Different players but I dont see how Battier is even remotely close to AK

Chronz
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
This would make us worse and Jazz better
Yea the Jazz get better, they would have to get better in order to trade AK to the Rockets but I dont see why you think the Rockets get worse.

I actually think overall talent wise, AK is the better player because he is more versatile offensively. That being said, he is a huge puss and I wouldnt want him on the team
Yea I feel the same, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. But if the 4 position becomes a weakness then its obvious the Battier-Artest tandem isnt going to pan out I would consider this trade.

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
That should go without saying, Battier+FILLERS

It can be accomplished

But why pay the luxury tax for him? Right now you are right at roughly 69-70 million which is 1 million under the tax.

BRADfromOZ
08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Shane is the way to go for us. AK gets paid way too much for what he does.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
But why pay the luxury tax for him? Right now you are right at roughly 69-70 million which is 1 million under the tax.
I really dont concern myself with luxury tax stuff, Im sure there are moves that can be done to trim salary but even if it means being a few million over the tax threshold, winning a title should be of the utmost importance. With this crew its about a 3 year window so they need to act fast.

Still I would rather keep Battier until I see how he responds to his new role. He could have a career year.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Shane is the way to go for us. AK gets paid way too much for what he does.

Well that could be a result of his playing out of position, he hasnt been able to play the 4 full time since before Boozer showed up and hasnt had a truly great season since. If he returns to that level then hes not really overpaid.

fins08
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
With contracts, Battier, in playoffs AK47 keeps beatin us. We are better off with Scola at his normal-sized position and have Battier come off the bench.

t-mac1nukka
08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I really dont concern myself with luxury tax stuff, Im sure there are moves that can be done to trim salary but even if it means being a few million over the tax threshold, winning a title should be of the utmost importance. With this crew its about a 3 year window so they need to act fast.

Still I would rather keep Battier until I see how he responds to his new role. He could have a career year.

i normally dont disagree with your statements...but with this one i have to disagree. not from a fan point of view cause i do agree winning should be the main objective no matter the amount of money it takes, but we cant really say anything...its not our millions that will be spent in excess of the salary cap.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
i normally dont disagree with your statements...but with this one i have to disagree. not from a fan point of view cause i do agree winning should be the main objective no matter the amount of money it takes, but we cant really say anything...its not our millions that will be spent in excess of the salary cap.

What if I changed the question to, what team is better suited to win a championship, the team with Battier on it or the team with AK on it. Nothing about CAP and stuff, strictly basketball results.

Jay22Redd
08-13-2008, 10:08 PM
AK is the better passer, rebounder, and overall offensive threat. Different players but I dont see how Battier is even remotely close to AK

Id rather have Battier though.

RocketPowered
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Ak47 is a better rebounder, blocker, and theif than battier... but battier is the most annoying out of all the defenders and he hustles more...he has a better 3 than ak ... plus ak *****es or cries over minutes ?? Battier is all about the team and the win....Battier Will not ***** over minutes wherever he will go... he is a close 2nd or third as the best man defender in the league..behind another Rocketter Artest...So why contend with having the best # 1 and #2 defenders on the rockets and putting ak over battier.... Ak gets lit up by mac and i doubt having a jazz player in the locker room wil;l help us in the playoffs....Battier is better being on this team than Ak ever will...

Rhyming Rebel
08-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Battier > AK47

Exactly

Chronz
08-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Id rather have Battier though.

For this team you may be right

Rhyming Rebel
08-14-2008, 05:41 AM
I think we need to go to war with what we got

futureman
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
This trade would not work for the jazz because if they were to move AK they would have to do it straight up due to the jazz not having any open roster spots. You guys would have to give up too many players for AK and the jazz won't be able to take them.

Chronz
08-15-2008, 01:10 AM
This trade would not work for the jazz because if they were to move AK they would have to do it straight up due to the jazz not having any open roster spots. You guys would have to give up too many players for AK and the jazz won't be able to take them.
You dont have to have a set roster limit until the season starts

Besides youd be surprised how easy that is to get around, there are obvious instances of illegal wink-wink deals with trading and waiving. The Rockets are probably going to end up cutting everyone they get aside from Artest, dont be surprised if they end up resigning for the Kings afterwards.

Jay22Redd
08-15-2008, 03:25 AM

Even if he was available and was paid the same amount Battier was paid, i dont think Morey would go for AK47. By the way, that is a killer nickname

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
ill stick with battier