PDA

View Full Version : Update: Lowell placed on DL

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Mike Lowell struck out looking in the seventh inning, because there was nothing else he could do. He couldn't swing, having strained his right oblique during the at-bat.

"I took those two swings my last at-bat, the first one I felt like a little grab on my side, the second one I felt something a lot more significant," said Lowell, who then left the game. "The last pitch I kind of panicked, I didn't know what to do. I didn't think I could swing. I was kind of hoping he'd just flop a curveball or something. I've never had this happen to me before. It's just frustrating."

And now he's hoping that the injury isn't too bad. The Sox will give Lowell an MRI today to determine the severity of the injury, though oblique problems can often linger, especially in baseball players. After the game, Lowell could barely stand, his eyes and face wrinkled with what seemed like pain. He was deeply concerned about what today's MRI would bring.

"I can't really stand up really straight," he said. "I feel like keeping bent over feels a lot more comfortable. Getting up out of a chair isn't the greatest thing. I just hope I sleep good tonight."

Asked if he thought the disabled list would be a possibility, Lowell said, "I hope tomorrow I feel better. I'm just, I'm not sure.

"I'm kind of - I wouldn't say nervous about it - but I feel like I'm in uncharted waters. I'd like to avoid [the DL]."

The trainers, Lowell said, have told him to take it slowly, believing that rest will help his already ailing hip. Lowell has been suffering from a strained right hip flexor since the end of June, and spent time earlier this season on the disabled list with a sprained left thumb. But Lowell said that, with the injection he got a week ago, his hip had been improving.

"I don't see them as two totally different things, it's just too much of a coincidence," he said, of the hip and the oblique.

"Those two swings were weird. I tried to kind of bend over and grab it, and see if something would go away. But, I don't know, it's kind of getting progressively worse."

Source: Boston Globe

Have to disagree with Mikey here -- I think the oblique strain and hip flexor injury are probably related. Most likely he subtly changed the way he did a number things in small ways in order to work around the hip pain and the result was the oblique strain. As I said elsewhere my bet is that Lugo gets healthy very quickly, comes back to play short, and Lowrie covers 3B.

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Too bad he looked like he was coming out of his funk.

knittingmill
08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
i'd rather move youk to third and have casey play 1st and call up bailey or carter for an extra 1B.

bosox1899
08-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Source: Boston Globe

Have to disagree with Mikey here -- I think the oblique strain and hip flexor injury are probably related. Most likely he subtly changed the way he did a number things in small ways in order to work around the hip pain and the result was the oblique strain. As I said elsewhere my bet is that Lugo gets healthy very quickly, comes back to play short, and Lowrie covers 3B.

didn't mike say that he believed the two were related? Even so, the odds of it being related is pretty high since they seem to be in the same region of each other, if not then hes just got really bad luck

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Nothing to do with one another. Obliques are from rotation in his case swinging a bat. His hip he said never affected his AB's. I believe him. Running is his pain source.
I'd be worried If I was him these heal slower than molasses.
His hip is a spur. He had two awkward swings lastnight at outside pitches ...if we are lucky...two weeks.

Shaiza
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Lugo and Lowrie in the same lineup weakens our offense. We have no power threat at all. I like what someone said earlier about putting Casey in and bringing up Carter. It could work very well.

Tragedy
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Lugo and Lowrie in the same lineup weakens our offense. We have no power threat at all. I like what someone said earlier about putting Casey in and bringing up Carter. It could work very well.
Now, I'm not in favor of having Lugo/Lowrie in the lineup but rather Casey/Youkilis/Lowrie, but just because the two (Lugo/Lowrie) don't bring power doesn't mean they can't be good. We know we won't get much offensive production from Lugo, but Lowrie has proven himself as very valuable, even with the lack of longball ability.

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
no to lugo. i like the casey/youk/lowrie combination.

Cronin
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I think we could definitely use an Aubrey Huff type pickup if he does go on the DL, and keep Casey in the same role he has excelled in all season..

NESports2004
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I think we could definitely use an Aubrey Huff type pickup if he does go on the DL, and keep Casey in the same role he has excelled in all season..

id love Huff but i doubt it

i am bob
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
If he goes to the DL we get hurt bad in terms of power. But I don't wanna see Lugo up here though. Rather have Casey play 1B or Bring uop Carter so they can split time.

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm going to have to agree in that I'd much rather have Casey at 1B and Youk at 3B instead of Lugo in the lineup.

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Nothing to do with one another. Obliques are from rotation in his case swinging a bat. His hip he said never affected his AB's. I believe him. Running is his pain source.
I'd be worried If I was him these heal slower than molasses.
His hip is a spur. He had two awkward swings lastnight at outside pitches ...if we are lucky...two weeks.

Peter, what do you think about the Mike Lowell situation? Is a trip to the DL a real possibility with the oblique muscle?

Peter_Gammons
I was very worried about Lowell before he pulled the oblique b/c it was clear his hip was bothering him and his swing was mainly just with his arms, not his lower half. Maybe the best thing for Mike is to sit for a couple of weeks because he's one guy who never asks out of the lineup.

I hadn't noticed but if Gammons is right (and Mikey didn't do it consciously as I suspect) then the two could be quite related.

Card&Al
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
If he goes to the DL we get hurt bad in terms of power. But I don't wanna see Lugo up here though. Rather have Casey play 1B or Bring uop Carter so they can split time.

Carter is on the DL in Paw right now

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Lowell is on the DL:

Red Sox placed third baseman Mike Lowell on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique.
Lowell suffered the injury Tuesday night and was placed on the DL after undergoing an MRI exam Wednesday morning. Given the nature of oblique injuries he's far from a sure thing to return in 15 days, leaving the Red Sox with Kevin Youkilis at third base and Sean Casey at first base for at least the remainder of the month.

rotoworld

Tragedy
08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Figured he'd go on the DL.

We can win without him; We did it before this year. We just can't let Casey get hurt again.

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I think Casey will really excel in the starting role again. I love Lowell, and its a shame that he gets hurt now, but his bat is not that important in the lineup. Having an okay season, nothing more. I believe Casey can fill the hole quite well.

The Intimidator
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
David Pauley has been called up to take Lowell's roster spot.

source: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=3301719&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
He (lowell) said yesterday they are definately related. I assumed because he said the hip only affected his fielding and base running it had little effect, wrong again.
I watched the AB's yesterday again (dvr) he was NOT using his lower half as mentioned. He was reaching......two weeks to a month , for sure. Sucks.......

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I misread his earlier statement; clearly he thought the two were related once he got the injury.

I don't think it'll be that great a blow to the Sox honestly. Casey has been amazingly steady at the plate given his infrequent AB, and he's easily going to replace what injured-Lowell has given the Sox the last several weeks. And even if Casey gets hurt I think Bailey stands a good chance to hold his own as well.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Plus lowell had been funking. Youk's bat is better, and Casey is hitting better , defensively with his hip acting up Youk will be as good defensively probably better range.

Not much drop off unless Lowell is fully healthy.

Youk is tearing it up. Casey is a nice insurance policy.