PDA

View Full Version : Is Al Jefferson a good enough player to be a 2nd option?

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Is Al Jefferson a good enough player to be a 2nd option on a championship team?

The guy as the #1 option puts up 21/11 on 50% and is only 23.

How good would he be if he were the 2nd option behind someone like Lebron or Wade, etc.

Simply put, 2nd option referring to someone who is considered the 2nd best player on the team and not the focal point of the offense.

Westbrook36
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Same If with Lebron or Wade

lakers4sho
08-13-2008, 12:58 AM
He'd be a good 2nd option behind a superstar guard (Wade, Kobe).

Halladay
08-13-2008, 12:58 AM
He'd be a solid second option. Before he was traded to Boston I believed his offensive upside was limited but last year he proved just how good he could be. It was on a pretty bad team but nonetheless the numbers don't lie. He's definitely not a first option on a playoff team but If the Wolves develope the young core they're building then Jefferson will be a very potent low-post player. At the same time, I'm not sure how effective he could be in the 2-man game. I just havent seen him play enough.

bball1217
08-13-2008, 01:07 AM
He would probably get slighly worse numbers, but something like 19/12 with 1.5 to 2 BPG.

He averaged 16/11 as 2nd option behind Paul Pierce 2 years ago.

I think he is the franchise player for the Timberwolves and is going to keep on improving, he will probably get 22-24 PPG and 11-13 RPG with about 2 BPG for many years with them. (As #1 option of course)

Liney3506
08-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Al Jefferson is a borderline #1 player, so there shouldn't be any reason why he wouldn't be one of the best #2 options out there.

Chronz
08-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Yes people put too much stock into this 1st option, second option bullspit the truth is teams can have 2 number 1 options on a team or 4 number 2 options on a team depending on how it is you guys define the term, its all about possessions. How many you get and what you do with them, Al J could actually get more possessions if he was paired with a significant offensive threat just from the fact that teams wont be able to load up on him.

Also if a players per game averages drop people seem to think it means their numbers have fallen without failing to recognize any loss in quantity can be made up with quality.

BillyHoyle35
08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
he would be a awesome 2nd option as he is a legit 1st option. The year he averaged 16/11 behind pierce at the celtics was his 3rd year and first with decent court time and that is very handy 2nd option as it is.
Al Jefferson will get better and be a top notch player

Chronz
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
He would probably get slighly worse numbers, but something like 19/12 with 1.5 to 2 BPG.

He averaged 16/11 as 2nd option behind Paul Pierce 2 years ago.

I think he is the franchise player for the Timberwolves and is going to keep on improving, he will probably get 22-24 PPG and 11-13 RPG with about 2 BPG for many years with them. (As #1 option of course)

Why would his rebounds and blocks go down? What if that number 1 option is a horrible rebounder and defender?

Lakersfan2483
08-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Al Jefferson is an extremely talented big man, I think he would be great as a 2nd option behind Kobe, Wade, Lebron, T-Mac, any of the superstars in the league. I think Jefferson is a future all-star player.

dick butane
08-13-2008, 03:36 AM
It is a little soon for the T-wolves to trade their only bright spot who is a power forward... after trading their only bright spot who was a power forward.

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes people put too much stock into this 1st option, second option bullspit the truth is teams can have 2 number 1 options on a team or 4 number 2 options on a team depending on how it is you guys define the term, its all about possessions. How many you get and what you do with them, Al J could actually get more possessions if he was paired with a significant offensive threat just from the fact that teams wont be able to load up on him.

Also if a players per game averages drop people seem to think it means their numbers have fallen without failing to recognize any loss in quantity can be made up with quality.

2nd option as meant by not the focal point of the team or offense. The 2nd best player on the team.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Big Al Is A Beast!!!!!! They Only Knock On Him Is That He Dont Pass Out Of The Post....he Jus Hits The Defender Wit 42 Pump Fakes An Scores Lol

Rome
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Depends on the team really. Could put up better numbers or worse. Career year next season, with Bassy dishing him the ball! lol

BRADY4MVP
08-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I think he would be nasty with better talent around him, but who wouldnt?? He will continue to improve and become a solid nba all star. I loved him here in Boston, and still cheer for him in MINNY

RapsFan4Life
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
i think right now Al would clash with a super star, BUT in a couple years he will be one of the best roll players something like what KG is to peirce ... Al needs to work hard and keep fit and get rythem to his 16 footer and work on his already good post game, training with a guy like Timmy or KG would be HUGE for him ... just for the off season to get his footwork perfect ... he has potential to be a huge force ... even all star, but he can not do it by himself, he isnt a lebron to take over a game as a primary player, but as a secondary he will be great, esspecially if he plays with a good center .. no double team, i think he also needs to trust his shooters ... i say he would make a great fit on the bucks with redd and bogut

Weezy
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
He reminds me of a young Larry Johnson but yea of course he is a good 2nd option.

bball1217
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Why would his rebounds and blocks go down? What if that number 1 option is a horrible rebounder and defender?

I said his RBG and BPG would go UP and his PPG would go DOWN.

He averaged 21/11/1.5, I said he could average 19/12/2.

His numbers will not change that much, I don't see him getting 21/13/2.5 as a 2nd option. If anything, his numbers will go down slightly, not by much. He is not that great of a defender, he only got 1.5 BPG as a number one option last year, he is just big and long, not great defensive IQ.

It really depends on who the first option is.

phillychi009
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
He is going to be a great player he is already very good

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Right now, sure, he would be a great second option to a superstar. He is 23 though. Lets give him a year or two, he may turn into a constant all star fixture. I think he has the stuff to be the stud of a team in a couple of years.

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
i think right now Al would clash with a super star, BUT in a couple years he will be one of the best roll players something like what KG is to peirce ... Al needs to work hard and keep fit and get rythem to his 16 footer and work on his already good post game, training with a guy like Timmy or KG would be HUGE for him ... just for the off season to get his footwork perfect ... he has potential to be a huge force ... even all star, but he can not do it by himself, he isnt a lebron to take over a game as a primary player, but as a secondary he will be great, esspecially if he plays with a good center .. no double team, i think he also needs to trust his shooters ... i say he would make a great fit on the bucks with redd and bogut

Even Duncan needs someone to throw an entrance pass. Big men are dependant on good guards to show their dominance. Until the Wolves get consistently great play from someone on the perimeter, nobody will know how good he could be.

superkegger
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Depends on the team really. Could put up better numbers or worse. Career year next season, with Bassy dishing him the ball! lol

Bassy probably won't even start. I wish he would, but it'll probably be foye-miller-gomes-love-al jeff.

He reminds me of a young Larry Johnson but yea of course he is a good 2nd option.

Yeah, thats a good comparison. Though he doesn't have the range or ball handling that larry does. Al Jeff is a true post guy, and he has great touch.

I got to watch him a lot last year living in the TC. He's a beast. He has great touch, and while he does force some shots, he still shoots a pretty good percentage. I think if he were paired with a guard who is better than him, that would be a scary good combo.

RapsFan4Life
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Even Duncan needs someone to throw an entrance pass. Big men are dependant on good guards to show their dominance. Until the Wolves get consistently great play from someone on the perimeter, nobody will know how good he could be.

i definetly agree with that, but one he gets the ball he needs to make the right decision not just throw up shots ... i mean if the ball needs to be kicked out on a double team then kick the damn ball out, Al still has lots to learn and pretty much any guard in the nba even eric snow can throw the ball into the post ... if a guard cant make that pass then he should be sitting in the locker room

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
i definetly agree with that, but one he gets the ball he needs to make the right decision not just throw up shots ... i mean if the ball needs to be kicked out on a double team then kick the damn ball out, Al still has lots to learn and pretty much any guard in the nba even eric snow can throw the ball into the post ... if a guard cant make that pass then he should be sitting in the locker room

By no means was I comparing him to Duncan. But I do think Al could develop into a franchise player. But he was on a team last year, that had minimal permimeter help. When the double and triple teams stop coming, he will be unstoppable. He does need to learn how to pass more wisely, that is for sure. And he could stand to become better defensively.

Seventh King
08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Without a doubt; The man is a solid 2nd option.

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Wade and Jefferson crazy mix :D
and yes he will be good enough to be a 2nd option,
i think he would be a good 1st option too

BigEric
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Without a doubt.

NYC1213
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
hell yes hes a stud

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Wade and Jefferson crazy mix :D
and yes he will be good enough to be a 2nd option,
i think he would be a good 1st option too

You think he is good enough as the best player on the team to carry them to a championship?

zamudio_jorge
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
he is good enough to still be the first option and be a star.

JordansBulls
08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
So if you take off Big Z and Ben Wallace on Cleveland and put Al Jefferson would they be title contenders?

Or if you take off Marion and Beasley from Miami would they be title contenders?

Chronz
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I said his RBG and BPG would go UP and his PPG would go DOWN.

He averaged 21/11/1.5, I said he could average 19/12/2.

His numbers will not change that much, I don't see him getting 21/13/2.5 as a 2nd option. If anything, his numbers will go down slightly, not by much. He is not that great of a defender, he only got 1.5 BPG as a number one option last year, he is just big and long, not great defensive IQ.

It really depends on who the first option is.

Up down your really missing my point, how does having an offensive player in front of you affect your BPG or your rebounds. Of course it depends on the player but you dont know who that player is so assuming either one is abit foolish.

And I think his stats go up with the presence of another great offensive threat.

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
So if you take off Big Z and Ben Wallace on Cleveland and put Al Jefferson would they be title contenders?

Or if you take off Marion and Beasley from Miami would they be title contenders?

they would be much closer, but both teams have huge holes at the role player position, especially Miami.

Vinny642
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
He can play as the 1st option on some teams so I think he can play the 2nd greatly

HOZ THE KNICK
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
al is going to be a monster in this league all he needs is some help.......why they trade oj mayo?

thesparky33
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
You think he is good enough as the best player on the team to carry them to a championship?
I actually do, but not right now... so maybe that's not the answer you were looking for.

I think he's already established himself as a big offensive threat. I think behind Duncan, Yao, and probably Boozer, he already has the best low-post moves and footwork for a big man. He really reminds me a ton of Tim Duncan, which excites me a lot. His overall composure out there is similar, and he's an extremely hard worker... he's only going to get better.

Right now, I dont think he's ready to be a huge star player or lead a team to a title run, mostly because of his inexperience. Last year, I noticed him getting severely fatigued by the middle of March, mostly because he never was used that much ever before in his career, and never carried that big of a load.

You can probably take most of my comments lightly because I'm a homer, but I really am excited about this guy.

superkegger
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I actually do, but not right now... so maybe that's not the answer you were looking for.

I think he's already established himself as a big offensive threat. I think behind Duncan, Yao, and probably Boozer, he already has the best low-post moves and footwork for a big man. He really reminds me a ton of Tim Duncan, which excites me a lot. His overall composure out there is similar, and he's an extremely hard worker... he's only going to get better.

Right now, I dont think he's ready to be a huge star player or lead a team to a title run, mostly because of his inexperience. Last year, I noticed him getting severely fatigued by the middle of March, mostly because he never was used that much ever before in his career, and never carried that big of a load.

You can probably take most of my comments lightly because I'm a homer, but I really am excited about this guy.

I agree with what you said completely. You probably know better than anyone on these boards about the wolves.

I think in the years to come people will come to realize what a beast this guy is. With more talent there in minny this year Big Al won't be forced to carry so much of the load, and I think that will bode well for him and his numbers will look even better this year than last.

JIDsanity
08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
He's a first option in my opinion

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
al is going to be a monster in this league all he needs is some help.......why they trade oj mayo?

because why have a 6'4" combo guard when you already have Foye? And they get Love, the best passing big for a long time, who can knock down shots, get Mike Miller, a proven knock down shooter in his prime, and traded away 2 horrible deals. Pretty much a no brainer. Mayo will be a Ben Gordon type, nothing more

Hawkeye15
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
I agree with what you said completely. You probably know better than anyone on these boards about the wolves.

I think in the years to come people will come to realize what a beast this guy is. With more talent there in minny this year Big Al won't be forced to carry so much of the load, and I think that will bode well for him and his numbers will look even better this year than last.

Die hard Wolves fan here, grew up in Minny. I agree with what was posted. He has a ways to go, this was the first year a team handed him the reigns, and said, its your team. He did a great job for being a 22 year old at the time. When his passing ability gets better, and defense improves, and you surround him with shooters, and slashers, this guys is going to be a nightmare for other teams. He is already unstoppable if he catches within 8 feet of the basket and help doesn't come.

MiamiHeat
08-13-2008, 08:00 PM

you take off marion and put Jefferson
and get a good pg thats a championship team :D

Storch
08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
cavs should make a move for jefferson

*Superman*
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes he would

LMAO! One person voted no.

boeknows
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Yeah they give us James and we will give u Jefferson.

phillyphan4ever
08-13-2008, 11:59 PM
hell yes

Rhyming Rebel
08-14-2008, 04:10 AM
He reminds me of J. O'neal

HouRealCoach
08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
If they trust you to replace Garnett then U can

daleja424
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
wow... I have never seen such a lopsided poll... I wonder who voted no?

m26555
08-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Pretty soon he will be good enough to be a primary option..

KnicksorBust
08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
lol this may be the most legitimately lopsided poll i've ever seen on PSD. 61-1 !

Rob :pity: :laugh:

superkegger
08-14-2008, 02:03 PM

They have nothing the wolves want outside of lebron...

Kind of, but jermaine has a better j from the floor. Al Jeff really has no range, not yet anyway.

wow... I have never seen such a lopsided poll... I wonder who voted no?

Just click on the number 1 and it will tell you it was robdesign13

thesparky33
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Kind of, but jermaine has a better j from the floor. Al Jeff really has no range, not yet anyway.

He's got a decent mid range shot that he can hit when defenders dare him to shoot, but I expect him to get a very nice one quickly.

boeknows
08-15-2008, 12:23 AM

How so O'neal is injury prone and doesnt look like he is going hard all the time. 2 things Jefferson doesnt do.

hockeypro68
08-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Alright, who's the idiot that voted Al Jefferson was NOT good enough to be a second option??? :crazy:

lakers4sho
08-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Alright, who's the idiot that voted Al Jefferson was NOT good enough to be a second option??? :crazy:

robdesign13

IversonIsKrazy
08-15-2008, 12:37 AM
when he reaches his peak, hes going to b able to carry a team into playoffs, but not deep.

Z-ray21
08-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Al Jefferson Is The First Option On The Twolves Team Nd He Will Be A Very Potent Second Option 21/11 Speaks For Itself.

I Wanna See How Good The Twolves Will Be Next Season

Randy Foye
Mike Miller
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Al Jefferson ( They Are Making Him Play Like Amare On The Suns. They Are Not Centers)

LakerzDQ
08-15-2008, 06:43 AM
well, he's playing almost as good as a 1st option, so why not?

J-Relo
08-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Al Jefferson Is The First Option On The Twolves Team Nd He Will Be A Very Potent Second Option 21/11 Speaks For Itself.

I Wanna See How Good The Twolves Will Be Next Season

Randy Foye
Mike Miller
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Al Jefferson ( They Are Making Him Play Like Amare On The Suns. They Are Not Centers)

I really like what T-Wolves made this off-season and like they line-up now... It will really make troubles in WC, look out... :)

PS: PHX was making Amare play Center, but now he plays more PF, also it seems that is better for him...