PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield to Red Sox?

timotio3545
08-13-2008, 12:32 AM
With the Red Sox looking for some insurance down the stretch, I see them putting in a claim for Sheffield. With the bat he has, I could see him being a bat off the bench, as well as a back up to Drew and Bay. Although his fielding has gone down over the last couple years, he has been playing in Fenway quite often when he was with the Yankees and is familiar with the layout of the field, and that could benefit him in the field, even if he's lost a step or two.

Tragedy
08-13-2008, 12:34 AM
He sucks, and he's signed for big money through next year.

No thanks.

Wake's Fastball
08-13-2008, 12:36 AM
He's said he'd like to come here, and frankly I'd be interested in bringing him on board because he's the one MLB hitter that's always terrorized me when he's at the plate. However, the reason he's on the outs with Detroit is because he doesn't have a full-time starting spot, so it's difficult to imagine he'd want to take even less of a role in a crowded outfield here. Plus, like Tragedy said, he's still due alot of money.

timotio3545
08-13-2008, 12:41 AM
one thing to keep in mind though, is that after the 06 season, he wanted to come to boston. and now, he's on a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, and being 8.5 games out in their division, aren't looking like they'll make a push for the playoffs this year either. he didn't get a ring with the yankees, and wants one at the end of his career, which'll be soon. Put him in Boston, I think he'd happily play second-fiddle to our starters. Plus, Tito has an uncanny way of making everyone happy (albeit Manny, but he's a princess) and plays everybody. I think it may just work.

kazzy4080
08-13-2008, 12:51 AM
14 million next year? no thanks

DaaBoTownSox
08-13-2008, 01:18 AM
With the Red Sox looking for some insurance down the stretch, I see them putting in a claim for Sheffield. With the bat he has, I could see him being a bat off the bench, as well as a back up to Drew and Bay. Although his fielding has gone down over the last couple years, he has been playing in Fenway quite often when he was with the Yankees and is familiar with the layout of the field, and that could benefit him in the field, even if he's lost a step or two.

I don't see him fitting in, especially as a backup. His ego is too big to settle as a backup.

JimmyMal450
08-13-2008, 01:44 AM
The whole reason Sheffield is mad with his team is because he doesn't get enough playing time, so coming here where he'd be a back up wouldn't make much sense. Plus 14 million next year, no thanks...

D-Raw127
08-13-2008, 02:47 AM
I new it was only a matter of time before this thread started

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
we just got rid of one big ego with a big paycheck and now you want to sign another one?

lil'papi
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Detroit would have to eat that money first off and secondly he is coming into the same situation as mentioned. I wouldn't worry about his demeanor though. Papi and him would hit it off....

Maybe they'll take Lugo in return? And pay a portion of the deal say 5mil....per. :D

CELTICS4LYFE
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
i dont want him here......maybe 5 yrs ago but he is an *** now

m2j3
08-13-2008, 11:03 AM
He had a great game last night. He hit two homeruns. The Sox are going to be looking at him. Maybe he's their backup because they didn't get Giles? We'll see.

bagwell368
08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Too bad he can't play 3B... too bad it's not 4-5 years ago. Getting this guy would be a terrible move now, and will not happen unless Papi goes down. Then they will have to do it.

BrooklynBalla20
08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
pickup up sheffield would be a mad move. people complained about manny, and sheffield would be even more of a cancer. he complained about being a dh in Detroit saying that he felt like he wasnt even playing baseball. well in boston he wouldnt even be a dh, he would be a role player on the bench. hes not worth the money and hassle at his age.

Tankjeep
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
he reminds me of ricky henderson....

MikeyBeingMikey
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Gary Sheffield hates white people

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

yaowowrocket11
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
If Ortiz was out for the rest of the year, sure. But Ortiz is fine, and we have no spot for him.

Crucis
08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I just don't see it. Sheffield doesn't seem like the sort who would be happy as a bench player, after all that's largely what he's complaining about now with the Tigers. Heck, I read where he doesn't like being a DH.

He just doesn't seem like a good fit for the Red Sox.

DyNaMo45
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
WEEI reported the Sox are discussing it.

athlete9393
08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
He sucks, and he's signed for big money through next year.

No thanks.

i agree, injuries ruined him, they would be better off without him. i see the sox looking at aurilia, we just lost our thirdbaseman and he is a decent bat, i know that youk will probably move over, but he could still come in late in games.

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 12:48 AM
i agree, injuries ruined him, they would be better off without him. i see the sox looking at aurilia, we just lost our thirdbaseman and he is a decent bat, i know that youk will probably move over, but he could still come in late in games.

I heard the Rays are looking at him as well.

BoSoxGreen18
08-14-2008, 01:30 AM
For everyone concerned about money... i assure you the Red Sox are not, if they believe he can help them win a Championship... who knows, maybe snag him and toss coco on waivers if you think thats a good upgrade?

Tankjeep
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
^it's not the money that i'm worried about....it's the fact that he can be a cancer in the clubhouse.

DaaBoTownSox
08-14-2008, 06:42 AM
^it's not the money that i'm worried about....it's the fact that he can be a cancer in the clubhouse.

I'm worried about both.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
They need to discuss it because they will want to block the Rays. Same with Aurilia.
He loves Boston and he can get back at NYY there. I didn't know he hated white people, wow. That is good to know.....keep that in mind.

I wouldn't stress either way. He would certainly be nice behind Papi. As for the clubhouse please, we have vets he'd be fine. Coco might tantrum though losing playing time. Again tell Detroit our payment is you take Lugo.

BoSoxGreen18
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
In my eyes, regardless of whether you are having a bad season or not, there are feared hitters in the game. Sheffield happens to be one of those guys. Personally I think if we acquired Shef, Coco would be outta here and he would platoon LF and RF and be that frightening bat behind Ortiz.

As for being a cancer, I think he'd be alright... he likes Boston and we got enough character guys to counteract that. I think he'll be pleased playing any role on the Sox if we make the playoffs

Dirty Dirk41
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I Cant see Sheffield coming here. But im sure if we were to get em his contract wouldnt be an issue. Plus im sure we would have talked to Shef and let him know he'd be the 4th outfielder. hes not coming to boston

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
No thanks, good luck to you. Majorly past his prime and at this point while he can still hit, there's nothing he can do. Papi is at DH, and we only need someone to spot start at 1B. Loretta would be a better fit.

Greenmonster24
08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
If the team wants his bat I could see it. It would make our defense worse. We can go 2 ways with it. With Lowell on the DL put Youkalis at third and Ortiz at first base and Sheifield DH or maybe WIth Ellsbury hurt Drew could play center field and SHeifield at Right Field. I would make sure with other players that this is ok and make sure Sheifield doesn't complain about being a 10 man on the team lineup.

futureheisman
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
he played some 1st base for the yankees in the playoffs. i think he could add some pop and be a presense in the lineup. with mike lowell on the DL the red sox need to offense out of the 1st base position. However with the 14 million for next year for an againg player who is not who he used to be. I would not want this deal unless the red sox could get rid of lugo in this deal so it would be a salary dump for both teams. heres would be your lineup if this happened which i dont think it will.

RF:drew(which he will moved back down in the lineup.)
2B:peordia
DH:Ortiz
3B:youk
LF:Bay
1B:sceff
RF:Drew
CF:Ellsbury
SS:lowrie
C:Tec

I think that lineup would be deadly and it would add some depth. the only thing would be is what would you do when loweel comes back then it becomes questionable what sceff woul do.

The Intimidator
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Sheffield has nothing left...end of story. He may have been a roids guy too, which could, along with his age, explain his rapid decline.

homie564
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
ill pass we just got rid of a big egod prick why get another :shrug:

The Intimidator
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
^^^Amen brother. :D

futureheisman
08-14-2008, 04:50 PM
there is also a possiblity of ibanez who has just been put on waivers

homie564
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
there is also a possiblity of ibanez who has just been put on waivers

ibanez is a good player but see my post above

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
No thanks, good luck to you. Majorly past his prime and at this point while he can still hit, there's nothing he can do. Papi is at DH, and we only need someone to spot start at 1B. Loretta would be a better fit.

Loretta where did you hear that? I wish he never left. Super guy and dependable. I would be fine with him also. Nice infield addition although his range is shorter than devito.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Loretta where did you hear that? I wish he never left. Super guy and dependable. I would be fine with him also. Nice infield addition although his range is shorter than devito.

The Sox could also make a waiver deal for a corner infielder. While Sean Casey is a suitable replacement for Youkilis at first, the Sox may want more protection.

San Francisco Giants infielder Rich Aurilia is also drawing some interest from the Tampa Bay Rays. Because Boston is behind the Rays in the standings, it could block any move for a hitter to Tampa. The Rays have similar needs now with third baseman Evan Longoria on the disabled list with a fractured wrist. There aren't many third baseman out there. Another interesting name is former Red Sox Mark Loretta, currently with the Houston Astros.

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/14/with_lowell_out_youkilis_trades_places/)

Tragedy
08-15-2008, 09:42 AM
he played some 1st base for the yankees in the playoffs. i think he could add some pop and be a presense in the lineup. with mike lowell on the DL the red sox need to offense out of the 1st base position.
This would only make sense if Sheffield had success at 1B. The Yankees completely regretted putting him at the position.

ERLynx
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
all things considered, if we could somehow keep him happy, i think it would be fun. but it ain't gonna happen.

tc2deuce
08-15-2008, 02:12 PM
remember he was ready to be in Boston untill the Tigers scooped him.....he hates the Yankees and He wants revenge!..He his my favorite player b/c I have followed his career since he was a rookie and I would love to see him in my favorite team's uniform! but I do see the other side of the spectrum too!