PDA

View Full Version : Kansas locks Bill Self into long term deal

metsfreak
08-12-2008, 11:32 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Bill Self, the Kansas basketball coach who guided the Jayhawks to their first NCAA championship in 20 years, signed a 10-year, $30 million contract Wednesday.

The deal had been in the works since April, when Self’s Jayhawks came from nine points down in the final minutes to beat Memphis in a thrilling title game and he subsequently turned down an offer to return to Oklahoma State, his alma mater.

Kansas and Self, 45, said in April he had agreed to the deal while the details were worked on. Kansas also agreed to big raises for his staff as well as improvements on the school’s basketball facilities.

“This will take me to 55 if both parties want to continue, which hopefully will happen,” Self said in a phone interview with The Associated Press while playing golf at Pine Valley in New Jersey. “I like to think I’ll still want to keep coaching when I get to 55. But if we continue to do our job, this will get us close.”

This summer, Kansas opened a new $31 million football complex. Improvements to Allen Fieldhouse and other facilities, including basketball training rooms and locker rooms, are expected to be in the same neighborhood.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Aru.wB5Q0yZz2lZwu7THWl3evbYF?slug=ap-selfcontract&prov=ap&type=lgns