PDA

View Full Version : Spanish basketball team poses for offensive picture

JimmyMal450
08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Spain's Olympic basketball team posed for an advertisement prior to the Games which appears to show all its players slanting their eyes, a move that could offend its Olympic hosts in Beijing. The ads, for a Spanish courier company, appeared in the Spanish-language newspaper La Marca.

As the uproar over the picture has grown today, more information about the advertising shot has come to light. The New York Times reports that Spain's basketball team is sponsored by Li-Ning Footwear, a Chinese company founded by Li Ning, the final torchbearer who was hoisted along the top of Beijing National Stadium during the Olympic Opening Ceremony finale. The ad reportedly references the Spanish team recently extending their contract with the footwear giant for another four years.

The Spanish-language paper El Mundo has a piece debating whether the ad was racist that basically calls out the British press for trying to smear Spain's good name. But they miss the point. Whether the picture was made in good fun is irrelevant. It was a ridiculous idea that was bound to upset a lot of people.

Source:yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Spanish-basketball-team-poses-for-offensive-pict?urn=oly,100152)

To think that no one there had second thoughts about doing this. Doesn't make much sense.

Shaiza
08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
What a disgrace.

arkanian215
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Source:yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Spanish-basketball-team-poses-for-offensive-pict?urn=oly,100152)

To think that no one there had second thoughts about doing this. Doesn't make much sense.

isnt that what we did back in 1st grade? i hope they blinded themselves though.

CubsGirl
08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Haha, oh my god, what jackasses.

JDIsMyGod23
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess they were hanging with Luda at the Holidae Inn.

LAcowBOMBER
08-14-2008, 03:26 AM
They were talking about this on PTI and apparently J-Kidd said he feels if the USA did this they would be thrown out of the Olympics.

Hellcrooner
08-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Mmm someone suggesting that we are thrown out for this?

Fear much?

Come on!!! you should win the gold, no need to play dirty.

Anyway that photo is plain stupid and i hope the Public relatisnhsps manaager form both the national team and the comapny advertised have been fired.

LAcowBOMBER
08-14-2008, 04:27 AM
[QUOTE=Hellcrooner;6279713]Mmm someone suggesting that we are thrown out for this?

Fear much?

Come on!!! you should win the gold, no need to play dirty.
[QUOTE]

Hahahahahaha, afraid?! of Spain?!

Marc and Pau aren't gona be enough to get past the US, I'll be surprised even if it is close