PDA

View Full Version : Goalie Rotation

GoBruins17
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I guess we'll see how they look in preseason --- but I was thinking about how to split time with the goalies out of the gate.

I think we're going to see close to a 50/50 split for Oct/Nov/Beginning of December and we'll see who emerges dominant. The scale will tip toward the dominant goalie in the future months 60/40 and as it gets late in the season, if one goalie is clearly outplaying the other you could see 75/25 down the stretch. Hopefully they're both on their game all year and constantly competing for coveted playoff time.

At the start though, I say you give TIMMY the opener against Colorado for a couple reasons. After last year, you need to make the statement (to Fernandez among others) that he is still our guy until proven otherwise; and I want Manny to get game two against his old boys in MN. You know, give him all the adrenaline and incentive possible to perform in his 1st regular season start.

Then give Tim game 3 @ MTL: Familiarity against the despised Habs

Manny game 4 @ Ottawa: Balance

Tim game 5 vs Pitts: Comfort and Familiarity on the home ice amid all the energy and pressure to perform in the home opening game against the conference champ.

Manny game 6 @ Buffalo: So Tim doesn't go back-to-back

Thoughts? Excitement? Anything? :)

i am bob
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Timmy has to get the 1st few seeing as we've owe it to him after 3 nice years. Manny should get like the 4th or 5th start.

big bad b's
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
i dont think you should just GIVE the opening night to Timmy, I think they should play the pre-season as a battle, a fight for the number 1. Whoever has a better camp and pre-season wins the job. That might just be thinking, no secret i dont think Timmy is a valid number 1 goalie. I also wouldn't be surpirsed if one of them was traded during camp or at the start of the season, depending on the market and who (if anyone) is in need form a goalie.

GoBruins17
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
no secret i dont think Timmy is a valid number 1 goalie.

man oh man.....Thomas and Rodney Dangerfield would have got along famously. NO RESPECT! Even amid our two crap seasons after the lockout, he was a highlight of our team a lot of nights. Now he's coming off of his best season ever (4th in the NHL in Save Pct) and invites to the all star game and US National Team. But yea, I hear you, he's got a long way to go before someone can admit he can be a go-to-guy. **Waiting for someone to minimize his accomplishments and call it all a big fluke** :bang:

I also wouldn't be surpirsed if one of them was traded during camp or at the start of the season, depending on the market and who (if anyone) is in need form a goalie.

I WOULD!! Even if you hate the guy, you have to admit, when Manny went down early it really hurt the dynamic, flexibility and potential success of the team. The ability to not have to rely on a goalie going back to back nights, or just flat out taking a night off when he's not feeling in the zone or might have a cold -- we could have been 6th or 7th easy with a 2nd goalie all year (no offense, Auldy)

Not only that but no one will want Manny's cap for someone coming off injury and they aren't trading Thomas. Furthermore, dumping one of them means you have to call up Rask and let him rot on the bench instead of constant playing time in what will be an important sophomore campaign.

GreatOdinsRaven
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Thomas may have the early nod due to what's he has done the last couple years, but lets not forget that when healthy, Fernandez is top notch goalie. 2.50/.912 career numbers aren't too shabby, especially playing on a young Wild team for 6 of those years. If he can get back to what he was, he'd be head and shoulders over Thomas. I'm assuming niether player wants to be splitting time 50/50, or considered 1a/1b goaltender, so someone will get the nod coming out of camp.

blujaysrock
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Hows Rask doing for you guys?

GoBruins17
08-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Hows Rask doing for you guys?

I can't tell over the computer if this is sarcasm or not, so just in case it is -- I must say:

I don't know, how is Raycroft working out for YOU guys? Oh wait.... :eyebrow:

Yea, i'll take our 21 year old Finnish prospect who, with only one year of American Pro hockey under his belt, and 4-5 years from the typical goaltending "prime" is still widely regarded as a top-5 goaltending prospect in the league over your: didn't even make it a year and a half in the franchise sub .900% +3.00GAA end of that bargain....but thanks for the afterthought!! :crazy:

big bad b's
08-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Bruins 17 the message you left in response to my comment is to long to quote. But in regards to your message, I am not taking anything away from Timmy, he has played great for the B's the last 3 years, no doubt he's exceeded everyones expectations. My point and one of the reasons I dont like him, he makes the saves you don't expect him to make, but what about the ones he should make that he doesn't. Everyone has there opinions(sorry its late my spelling might be off) you think he is a legit number 1, i'm sure alot of people agree with you, I dont. I'm not sayin he sucks, I just don't like him as the everyday number 1, and just as there is people who agree with you, I know there are people who agree with me. Like I stated in my first response, in regards to the question you posted about goalie rotation, in my opinion it is not fair to throw timmy out as the number 1 for opening night. Is he the number 1 going into the pre-season? Absolutly. I just would not label him as the number 1 for opening night YET. If he earns it in the pre-season and out performs Manny in the pre-season, then give him the number 1. If there is no comparison and Timmy totally out performs Manny, I will personally send you a message saying you were right. My point is in my mind it is not fair to just give out the number 1 before training camp even starts. Let them battle and the best goalie wins.

GoBruins17
08-14-2008, 05:15 AM
My point and one of the reasons I dont like him, he makes the saves you don't expect him to make, but what about the ones he should make that he doesn't.

Hmm, I'm not sure. But it looks like at the end of the day he stopped a higher percentage of pucks than the majority of goalies in the NHL, so if that's the case I'm not too concerned on the how and why. If someone says "Pick between these two goalies....Goalie A makes 27 saves per 30 shots and goalie B makes 28 saves per 30.....But of the 2 goals allowed by goalie B we really feel he shoulda had some of those ... Who would you prefer to have on your roster? I think I still know my pick.

You think I am irrational for saying Tim is our go-to-guy before the season starts, but how can anyone deny that statement (yet) since nothing has changed on-ice since our last game? When you have two guys who have proved they can start, I would call it irrational to state that the pre-season is a good guage of who your gamer is when it starts counting. Remember how Alex Smith kept winning that starting QB job in San Francisco for his pre-season performances? That was always a reliable guage, eh?... :p

In fact, why are we making this out to be who has the edge NOW? That was never my original post. I even said:

"I guess we'll see how they look in preseason --- but I was thinking about how to split time with the goalies out of the gate. " *The first part meaning, unless of course one of them tanks in the early showings - so already acknowledging what you're trying to say.

"I think we're going to see close to a 50/50 split for Oct/Nov/Beginning of December and we'll see who emerges dominant. "

Out of the first 6 games, I gave them both 3. The whole "Timmys our guy until proven otherwise" business stems from everything I discussed earlier....and not only that but out of game 1 and game 2....I want Manny starting in Minn.

I was not trying to start the redudant "Is Thomas NHL starter material" crap -- Lets end this mess sooner than later!

Shaiza
08-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure. But it looks like at the end of the day he stopped a higher percentage of pucks than the majority of goalies in the NHL, so if that's the case I'm not too concerned on the how and why. If someone says "Pick between these two goalies....Goalie A makes 27 saves per 30 shots and goalie B makes 28 saves per 30.....But of the 2 goals allowed by goalie B we really feel he shoulda had some of those ... Who would you prefer to have on your roster? I think I still know my pick.

You think I am irrational for saying Tim is our go-to-guy before the season starts, but how can anyone deny that statement (yet) since nothing has changed on-ice since our last game? When you have two guys who have proved they can start, I would call it irrational to state that the pre-season is a good guage of who your gamer is when it starts counting. Remember how Alex Smith kept winning that starting QB job in San Francisco for his pre-season performances? That was always a reliable guage, eh?... :p

In fact, why are we making this out to be who has the edge NOW? That was never my original post. I even said:

"I guess we'll see how they look in preseason --- but I was thinking about how to split time with the goalies out of the gate. " *The first part meaning, unless of course one of them tanks in the early showings - so already acknowledging what you're trying to say.

"I think we're going to see close to a 50/50 split for Oct/Nov/Beginning of December and we'll see who emerges dominant. "

Out of the first 6 games, I gave them both 3. The whole "Timmys our guy until proven otherwise" business stems from everything I discussed earlier....and not only that but out of game 1 and game 2....I want Manny starting in Minn.

I was not trying to start the redudant "Is Thomas NHL starter material" crap -- Lets end this mess sooner than later!

Good post.
Honestly, I think this is one of those situations where it'll pan out by itself. There is no way it'll be taken care of before the season (unless an injury happens). This is the best thing for us, as I do believe that Rask needs another year in Providence.