PDA

View Full Version : Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers

Dark Donnie
08-12-2008, 06:54 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers and restricted free agent Andre Iguodala have agreed to a six-year, $80 million contract, league sources told ESPN.com.

Per ESPN

GspLAL
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Overpaid.

Sixerlover
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Iggy's agent got him PAID. Congrats to the agent :)

But at least he's on our team through his prime, I'm happy.

Brooke
08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Good news for the 76ers and their fans :)

rapswin98
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Sixers overpaid

rapswin98
08-12-2008, 07:02 PM
but good news for sixers

MiamiHeat
08-12-2008, 07:02 PM
wow a little overpaid,
but good for the 76rs :up:

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
overpaid big time, but with they weren't going to acquire Brand, then let Iggy walk, that would be like swimming in quicksand. But, in about 4-5 years, Philly will have a bloated contract problem. But that is a little bit down the road.

Rome
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Little overpaid but that's what you have to do to keep a star player sometime. Good for them.

jetsfan89
08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
great move for the sixers. look out eastern conference.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Overpaid, so what?

We have Elton Brand/Iggy/and Lou Williams locked up for 5+ years...

Not including Thaddeus is another 2 and we will sign him longterm after that, and if Andre Miller wants to resign..

Basically means we have 5 years to win a championship and after that we are going to be in trouble.

5 years of contending>a few bad seasons

Dirty Dirk41
08-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Deng got 6 years 71 million. That isnt bad for IGGY. plus you gotta pay iggy.

Dalembert
Brand
Young
Iggy
Miller

That lineup should go deep into the playoffs. Good signing for the sixers

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Overpaid, so what?

Not including Thaddeus is another 2 and we will sign him longterm after that, and if Andre Miller wants to resign..

Basically means we have 5 years to win a championship and after that we are going to be in trouble.

totally agree. Like I said, 5 years down the line, ugh, but the Celtics are gonna be in salary cap hell in 3, so there is your model

#1Mavericksfan
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I think he's worth it...I mean the guy was one of the main reasons the Sixers made the playoffs.

MiamiHeat
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Dalembert
Brand
Young
Iggy
Miller

yea if they wouldn't of the whole Brand coming to Philadelphia would of fail

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Dalembert
Brand
Young
Iggy
Miller

hopefully. I have never even been to Philly, but I like them. But, a bench, and role players is what wins you rings. Hopefully, they can add that over the next 2-3 seasons.

bball1217
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
That is a lot of money.

Congratulations Andre.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
hopefully. I have never even been to Philly, but I like them. But, a bench, and role players is what wins you rings. Hopefully, they can add that over the next 2-3 seasons.

We added Kareem Rush and Royal Ivey to the bench, two solid bench players.

Our only real weakness is a backup center..

BADizzleBoY
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
damn, but i am partying tonight

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
We added Kareem Rush and Royal Ivey to the bench, two solid bench players.

Our only real weakness is a backup center..

the fact that I have never heard of Royal Ivey makes him irrelevant. I follow bball every day of the year. They have bench and experience issues. I love Miller at point, underrated his whole career

zamudio_jorge
08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
wow too much good job for the agent and josh smith need fire his agent 5 for 58 by the way espn create a poll a few days ago is josh smith worth 58m and like a 55% say no O.o make a poll for iggy -.-

JAZZNC
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
That is tremendously overpaid. I can't believe the way things have been going. A guy who is by no means a number 1 option is getting paid that much. That's a freaking joke. He wasn't even an allstar last year and he gets that much money. He in no way shape or form deserves that kind of loot and the Sixers are completely ******** for giving him that much. He's done nothing other than get beat in the first round of the playoffs. Wow, he and Deng are ridiculously overpaid and this sends a message to players that all you have to do is wait and wait and pitch a little hissy fit and you'll get paid way more than you're worth. Not a good thing for the NBA as a whole.

I can't believe Philly fans are so happy about it. Let him go elsewhere if he wants that much money. You could get an actual go to guy for that much.

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Honestly, how much are Wolves fans loving the signing of Al Jefferson for 5 years, $60 million now?? He is better than pretty much every free agent signed this offseason, outside of Brand possibly, and makes reasonable money.

North Yorker
08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Congrats to the 76ers and AI. I'd say this team in 2010 will be very dangerous, and championship contenders. They should have all the pieces (3 pt shooting, good young bench, emergence of their young players on the roster right now ) by then and in 2010 will be when a lot of big name FAs will be on the move and will have to get used to playing with a different team. Team chemistry is under rated and while lots of teams will be adjusting with new players at that time, Philly's core would have been together 2 full seasons all ready.

Dirty Dirk41
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
the fact that I have never heard of Royal Ivey makes him irrelevant. I follow bball every day of the year. They have bench and experience issues. I love Miller at point, underrated his whole career

Their bench isnt the best but it is far from the worst

Willie Green and Reggie Evans started last year and actually played well. They will be solid coming in off the bench. Kareem Rush can shoot it. Louis Williams is CLEARLY the real deal.Marreese Speights is just a rookie, not sure if hell get playing time. Jason Smith is done for the year i believe so maybe Speights will get a shot to contribute. Ill agree they need a Backup C. BADLY.

JAZZNC
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Your first sentence proves that your second sentence is a complete load of ****. If you've never heard of Royal Ivey then you have no clue about basketball whatsoever. I'm an out of college working man who rarely even gets a chance to watch Sports Center and even I know who he is so your comments are irrelevant.

Sixerlover
08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
That is tremendously overpaid. I can't believe the way things have been going. A guy who is by no means a number 1 option is getting paid that much. That's a freaking joke. He wasn't even an allstar last year and he gets that much money. He in no way shape or form deserves that kind of loot and the Sixers are completely ******** for giving him that much. He's done nothing other than get beat in the first round of the playoffs. Wow, he and Deng are ridiculously overpaid and this sends a message to players that all you have to do is wait and wait and pitch a little hissy fit and you'll get paid way more than you're worth. Not a good thing for the NBA as a whole.

Seriously, it's not that important.

We needed to resign him for 4+ years because of his age, and his production level. We also needed to give him a contract because the Brand signing would be irrelevant if we didn't resign him. And for all we know there might not even be a salary cap in two years if Europe keeps this up, so the 13.3 isn't terrible for Iggy.

Also with players like Larry Hughes, Ben Wallace, Wally Z, Antoine Walker all getting traded in the past year or two with a simular yearly salary at the time of the trade, and much less production that Iguodala the contract is not untradable by any means if for some crazy reason he regresses. 20 - 5 - 5 with very good defense at 24 is fine by me though.

I can't believe Philly fans are so happy about it. Let him go elsewhere if he wants that much money. You could get an actual go to guy for that much.

Name one.

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Your first sentence proves that your second sentence is a complete load of ****. If you've never heard of Royal Ivey then you have no clue about basketball whatsoever. I'm an out of college working man who rarely even gets a chance to watch Sports Center and even I know who he is so your comments are irrelevant.

never heard of him. So what? I have followed basketball forever, just not Philly, which may be why. If you want to challenge me to basketball knowledge, go ahead. You won't be happy with the results.

Dirty Dirk41
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM

lol...ill agree i thought the same thing when i read the post i just didnt feel like mentioning it...haha. If you cover the game and watch daily you'd kno who royal ivey is.

Hawkeye15
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Their bench isnt the best but it is far from the worst

Willie Green and Reggie Evans started last year and actually played well. They will be solid coming in off the bench. Kareem Rush can shoot it. Louis Williams is CLEARLY the real deal.Marreese Speights is just a rookie, not sure if hell get playing time. Jason Smith is done for the year i believe so maybe Speights will get a shot to contribute. Ill agree they need a Backup C. BADLY.

I like Evans, Iowa rebounder. Rush is what he is, decent shooter. Williams, I have only seen play about 3 times, don't have much of an opinion on him. I am getting the NBA package this year, so I will catch up on them.

Dirty Dirk41
08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I like Evans, Iowa rebounder. Rush is what he is, decent shooter. Williams, I have only seen play about 3 times, don't have much of an opinion on him. I am getting the NBA package this year, so I will catch up on them.

Im not a philly fan. CELTICS die hard. but i stay current on everything nba. The sixers should be much improved from last year and they werent that bad last season.

JordansBulls
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Per ESPN

Wow!

Sixers did that so that they can compete for the next 4-5 years.

JAZZNC
08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Seriously, it's not that important.

We needed to resign him for 4+ years because of his age, and his production level. We also needed to give him a contract because the Brand signing would be irrelevant if we didn't resign him. And for all we know there might not even be a salary cap in two years if Europe keeps this up, so the 13.3 isn't terrible for Iggy.

Also with players like Larry Hughes, Ben Wallace, Wally Z, Antoine Walker all getting traded in the past year or two with a simular yearly salary at the time of the trade, and much less production that Iguodala the contract is not untradable by any means if for some crazy reason he regresses. 20 - 5 - 5 with very good defense at 24 is fine by me though.

Name one.

That's the thing though. He's not a 20-5-5 guy. I doubt his scoring numbers are even as high as they were this past season with an actual scoring option other than him on the team. He's a good energy guy who rebounds OK and plays decent D but he's soooo not worth that much money. Hell Brand is locked up for a while, why not spend all that money on Iggy and wait a couple years and actually make a push for a real star. That's just my opinion though.

Liney3506
08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
That's the thing though. He's not a 20-5-5 guy. I doubt his scoring numbers are even as high as they were this past season with an actual scoring option other than him on the team. He's a good energy guy who rebounds OK and plays decent D but he's soooo not worth that much money. Hell Brand is locked up for a while, why not spend all that money on Iggy and wait a couple years and actually make a push for a real star. That's just my opinion though.

Why waste these years with Brand? That's complete rubbish to say we should "wait until later". Iggy is a legit 20-5-5 guy, with excellent court vision, superb defending skills, and an improving shot. While yes, Brand now becomes the #1 option, I think Iggy has enough confidence in himself to become option 1b in the lineup.

Besides, we're going to be over the cap, so what does it matter if we're $2 million more over the cap than what we should be? You have to overpay in today's NBA, and that's a simple fact. The Sixers did just fine.

Westbrook36
08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Why waste these years with Brand? That's complete rubbish to say we should "wait until later". Iggy is a legit 20-5-5 guy, with excellent court vision, superb defending skills, and an improving shot. While yes, Brand now becomes the #1 option, I think Iggy has enough confidence in himself to become option 1b in the lineup.

Besides, we're going to be over the cap, so what does it matter if we're $2 million more over the cap than what we should be? You have to overpay in today's NBA, and that's a simple fact. The Sixers did just fine.

:clap:, He really is a 20-5-5 Guy. It's not like he was a Chucker and had to do everything, With Brand he can still get those numbers

Skins4Life
08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
overpaid... way overpaid... but then again who hasnt gotten their's in FA this year...

Liney3506
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
overpaid... way overpaid... but then again who hasnt gotten their's in FA this year...

What does it even matter? So he was overpaid by maybe, $2 million a season. Does it really make that big of a difference from year to year?

_Sn1P3r_
08-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Great signing. So what if he's a bit overpaid, the 76ers wanted him to stay.

Giantwarrior
08-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Sixers are digging themselves in a HOLE! 80 million for 6 years??? are you serious? I didnt even know they had that much money! im sorry, IGGY is a good average SG in the league, he's good not great... SG's are a dime a dozen. they would have been better off chasing shawn livingston, JR smith or ben gordon, maybe even a sign and trade. Im sorry 80mil for a guy that cant shoot that well? doesnt make sense...

Chronz
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
I dont understand why every team doesnt front load max deals like this

Liney3506
08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Sixers are digging themselves in a HOLE! 80 million for 6 years??? are you serious? I didnt even know they had that much money! im sorry, IGGY is a good average SG in the league, he's good not great... SG's are a dime a dozen. they would have been better off chasing shawn livingston, JR smith or ben gordon, maybe even a sign and trade. Im sorry 80mil for a guy that cant shoot that well? doesnt make sense...

Wow. You really don't watch basketball, do you? Iggy is miles better than any guy you just listed, especially one that does what he does.

Ph1lly Diehard
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow, I can't believe these comments at all..

Seriously..

We are going to be an INSTANT CONTENDER for another 5 years. 5 years. Playoffs guarenteed barring major injuries.

If you guys had any clue how hard it is being a diehard Philadelphia fan and not having a championship in 25 years then you would understand why we are happy.

A win now attitude.. Man.. We can't wait ANY LONGER! Sign Iggy now, he hasn't even reached his potential..

If we signed him to a lower deal.. lets say 6 years 70 and he overachieves then he could end up wanting a new contract..

5 years of winning like I said is well worth it in the end.. Every year we are contenders now for atleast 4 years, so I am happy as hell right now.

I'm tired of seeing the Pistons basically own us every year in the playoffs from what? 3 out of last 5 years? It's gotten rediculous, and I want a taste of a title NOW.

philsphan28
08-13-2008, 12:36 AM
I dont understand why every team doesnt front load max deals like this

probably the luxury tax. if we frontloaded the deal, we'd be in the luxury, but the luxury goes up every year and so does his salary. you are right though, he'd be much more tradeable four years from now if he made less then.

bogdanrom
08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
If it was less he won't sign. Good sign. Sixers HAD to do this.They still need at least one more piece to be really good. An outside shooter will be a good sign for them.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Sixers are one year away from being a monster.

Iverson still owes something to them.

Let his Contract Expire, sign for the Mle.

MIller,Iverson,Igoudala,Brand,Dalembert.

Thats something to fear.

JIDsanity
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Wow, I can't believe these comments at all..

Seriously..

We are going to be an INSTANT CONTENDER for another 5 years. 5 years. Playoffs guarenteed barring major injuries.

If you guys had any clue how hard it is being a diehard Philadelphia fan and not having a championship in 25 years then you would understand why we are happy.

A win now attitude.. Man.. We can't wait ANY LONGER! Sign Iggy now, he hasn't even reached his potential..

If we signed him to a lower deal.. lets say 6 years 70 and he overachieves then he could end up wanting a new contract..

5 years of winning like I said is well worth it in the end.. Every year we are contenders now for atleast 4 years, so I am happy as hell right now.

I'm tired of seeing the Pistons basically own us every year in the playoffs from what? 3 out of last 5 years? It's gotten rediculous, and I want a taste of a title NOW.

With a contract like that they better contend for the next 5 years, even if Andre Miller can't come back due to contract issues, or if he declines. Iggy better get like 20 pts, 7 reb, and 4 asst. on his bad nights. 80 mill?:pity:

Chronz
08-13-2008, 01:12 AM
probably the luxury tax. if we frontloaded the deal, we'd be in the luxury, but the luxury goes up every year and so does his salary. you are right though, he'd be much more tradeable four years from now if he made less then.

True, I figured they had enough room under the LT threshold

philsphan28
08-13-2008, 01:18 AM
True, I figured they had enough room under the LT threshold

I think we have a few million, but we still have a couple of league minimum guys to sign, so we're going to be really close to it once this offseason is over. good idea though. teams that aren't near the luxury should definitely do it for some of their players. guys make less in their primes than they do when they're washed up.

29$JerZ
08-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Overpaid IMO but he did help Philly make it to 7th seed so cheers to him

bigmac8675
08-13-2008, 01:34 AM
A little overpaid in my opinion. If it was say 6 years 65-70mil, then that would be better. But either way congrats to Andre and his agent. The sixers got themselves a nice little core of players.

kylem4711
08-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Overpaid, so what?

2008 Playoffs Statistics

PPG 13.2
RPG 4.80
APG 5.0

BRADfromOZ
08-13-2008, 03:16 AM
$80 million is a lot, that just means we won't ever see him in a Rockets uniform :(

Hellcrooner
08-13-2008, 03:31 AM
I like what tehy done, it reminds me a n awfull lot to the 04 pistons ,team plahy over stars.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
overpaid???? hell no!!!! how bout underrated!!!!! he got game!!!!!

BALLER71
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Overpaid, so what?

Ah yes...and who will pay for that, you?
Because all of those guys will make 10M+

JIDsanity
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
overpaid???? hell no!!!! how bout underrated!!!!! he got game!!!!!

:confused:

RapsFan4Life
08-13-2008, 11:49 AM
iggy is gunna be better and better, and right now he is pretty darn good, now with elton .. i think another great ball handeler they will be great condenders .... im happy for the 76ers, as long as this doesnt turn out to be another rashard lewis contract .. expensive and never ending ... iggy is sweet though, i rate them 2nd in the east .. 1 obviously my raptors << dont hate on me boston fans

Ph1lly Diehard
08-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Ah yes...and who will pay for that, you?
Because all of those guys will make 10M+

What, resigning Miller and Thaddeus?

If you don't think were resigning Thaddeus your out of your mind, because I guarentee you Stafanski does everything he can do get him back.

Miller might be a stretch, but for the right price he can be had back.

If we don't resign Miller, then we have Lou Williams to step in at PG, who we locked up for 5 years/25 mil which was a complete steal.

dougie5627
08-13-2008, 12:20 PM
if lou will got an extra million so he would get 5 years 30 million and iggy got 6 years 74 million no one would complain it all works out in the end as they keep the core for the same price. iggy loses a mill lou gains 1 dont make much diff if the team stays the same for 5 yrs

BALLER71
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
What, resigning Miller and Thaddeus?

If you don't think were resigning Thaddeus your out of your mind, because I guarentee you Stafanski does everything he can do get him back.

Miller might be a stretch, but for the right price he can be had back.

If we don't resign Miller, then we have Lou Williams to step in at PG, who we locked up for 5 years/25 mil which was a complete steal.

How about your bench?
Or do you expect everyone to get paid the vet minimum?