PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield put on waivers - ''several'' others too

DetTigers
08-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Sheffield was put on waivers today along with several other Tigers players not mentioned though. (Renteria, Robertson, Jones, Rodney?)

Who else was on that list do you think

mark1125
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Sheffield was put on waivers today along with several other Tigers players not mentioned though. (Renteria, Robertson, Jones, Rodney?)

Who else was on that list do you think

The names you mentioned most likely. Maybe not Rodney yet. Maybe Rogers too.

stanpapi
08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I think you guys have it pretty much covered, more or less a couple names. Did they wait too long to hold the garage sale, or did no one come? I don't know. If I was a GM on a contending team with holes to plug, I can't see taking a gamble on Sheff or Renteria, because I wouldn't want to have to pay 'em for next year, for one. And two, are they going to help anyway. Jones could be useful, but he was just hurt, and so I wouldn't want to deal with that. Same story more or less with Rodney. Maybe Robertson. At least he's healthy, youngish, and might do well with a change of scenery. All said, I think we're stuck with a fair number of guys we're not going to want.

mark1125
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
If we could unload one of those guys, I would be thrilled. Especially if we don't have to eat to much salary.

m2j3
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm sure someone will want Renteria. I know a few teams were looking at the deadline. There will be some deals made, especially with Sheffield. He's hit 2 homeruns tonight in what will probably be his last game as a Tiger.

stanpapi
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
...Just one more, you can trade him before the Wed. game. Hang on to him, and you might wait too long. Be prepared to eat a ton of dough, trade him now, and who cares what he does next? Only reason to keep him here is to see his 500th tater, and he'd probably leave us hanging on that, too. Someone might just jump in there now, make an impulse buy. Oh, please trade him tonight.

Epic89
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
The booing of Sheffield is absolutely nauseating and makes me ashamed (among many other reasons, albeit) to be a Tigers fan. The guy said nothing worth booing him over

MSK55
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Detroit fans will be Detroit fans. Booing a player that's making $13/$14 million a year to hit .220 and complain about playing time pales in comparison to some of the other sporting incidents the city has had.

The way I see it, Sheff--who I do like, by the way--is a representation of this year's team. They're getting a ton of money to do nothing. The fact that he's complaining gave fans an easy target for the blame, though one player's offensive slump doesn't translate to trailing by 8.5 games.

That being said, I'd like to see him go so the team can move on. He's not the player he used to be, and at this point, it would do both sides good to part ways.

tigers8406
08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
fans are stupid- we boo him yes but when he hits 2 homers we forget about the distractions he is causing.

he claims he can play everyday yet hits .220 every day, what an idiot. He knew he was a DH when he approved the trade to come here.

bballguy869
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Fans are not stupid. But we can hope that some GM out there is.

I was cheering when he hit those two home runs too, but I was far from forgetting the distraction he's causing.

I was cheering for the home runs b/c maybe, just maybe it could help us win that game (of course, we didnt, but thats beside the point), and more importantly I want him to hit out of his skull like he's a changed man for the next couple days so we can deal him to some unsuspecting sucker who actually thinks he's turning a corner, just like we've been duped into believing numerous times this season.

I'm simply hoping that his production out of spite will be his one way ticket out of Detroit. Then once he settles into his new team, he'll play like sh** again, just like we all know he will.

Bondomania
08-15-2008, 02:28 AM
no, the fans are smart.. the fans cheered a guy for doing what he was brought in here to do.. and they get irritated because they are spending their hard earned money to watch a guy making 12 mill to bat .220 with minimal power and a lack of clutch hitting for the most part.. Just because you like Gary Sheffield doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be boo'ed.. also he isn't getting boo'ed because of the comments, he is getting it based on his season's perfomance.. it has been happening since about mid-july