PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Team has horrible team photo

lovingTO
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
..probably not. But here is a picture of Calderon and team Spain making fun of the slanted eyes of the Chinese before the Olympic games.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/08/12/gasol-caught-in-offensive-photo/

blujaysrock
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
no there not they are just doing that because they are in china, think about it

Bob_at_york
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Since it is a weird promotional team picture, I think we can assume that none of the players are racist and if they are, this picture doesn't prove that they are but the line from the link is right:

Who is doing public relations for the team?

Fion
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
this wasnt really his personal decision but the marketing team.

Also, its kinda funny.

killersweet
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Totally unnecessary. I am not sure why the marketing team wanted something like this. Unwanted controversy! Especially with so many recent allegations against the Spaniards of racism.

mjt20mik
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah I agree. Wasn't too smart of a marketing scheme.

Tom Stone
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
This is nothing.....a joke

Musical Tempo
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Jose doesn't really have a choice its a photo shoot, and the publicity person, and photographer though it was a funny picture. Clearly not as funny as it appears, and a horrible marketing scheme. I wonder how they would take a photo shoots of Americans, steroid needles in their hands, Big Mac's, and a lot of hoey ladies. GOTTA LOVE THE USA:D

SAVAGE CLAW
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Question, if the olympics were in Canada and they posed dressed up as Montys would you be bottered?

R_Squared99
08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh plz, how many people have never done that once in their life. They are just having some fun.

Musical Tempo
08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Question, if the olympics were in Canada and they posed dressed up as Montys would you be bottered?

That would be pretty funny, to me.

Oh plz, how many people have never done that once in their life. They are just having some fun.

Its obviously intend to be a joke, however it also could be perceived as offense to others, and considering its a international event its a horrible jokes to make at that level of sports. Horrible marketing I have to say.

29$JerZ
08-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Bad Pr Move

raptors wiseguy
08-12-2008, 11:40 PM
the marketing team are probably idiots....why attempt something that has the chance to be controversial??

Halladay
08-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Pretty strange...you'd think how nowadays, how everyone is extremely sensitive and PC the PR guys would be smarter then this and I wonder if any of the basketball players even thought about what they were doing. Imagine if the Olympics were in Africa and they took a picture of them with sticking their lips out or something? people would freak out.

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I really dont like the title of this thread, it implies calderon is a racist, and I really dont think he is. Yes there is a quetsion mark but Calderon and racist should not go together at all in a sentence untill we learn more about this even... This is getting blown way out of the water here. Could a mod change the thread title!

Bob_at_york
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
I really dont like the title of this thread, it implies calderon is a racist, and I really dont think he is. Yes there is a quetsion mark but Calderon and racist should go together at all in a sentence untill we learn more about this even... This is getting blown way out of the water here. Could a mod change the thread title!

I figured the question mark defused any confusion, but if you don't think it does, I can fix it.

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I figured the question mark defused any confusion, but if you don't think it does, I can fix it.

Thanks bob, I would just like to get some more background on the entire situation before I even associate the word anywhere near our pg's name. I think the spanish national team and even calderon may need to expalin this in deeper detail. I will give jose the benefit of the doubt here I think.

JWalk126
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I would like to share a story with you about something that happened with the Spanish National Team that someone interpreted incorrectly. It happened in the photo session where the Spanish National Team was introduced; one of our sponsors asked us to pose with a “wink” to our participation in Beijing, we made an oriental expression with our eyes. We thought it was something appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving. Never the less some of the European media did not see it this way.

http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/jose-calderon-responds-to-spanish-controversy/

killersweet
08-13-2008, 11:02 AM

What kind of an ignorant comment is that? Whatever u do among your friends is one thing. But at an international level, you shouldn’t be pulling stupid stunts like that. You are representing your country in a foreign place. U don’t know how people would react to certain things. What is funny to you may not be funny to everyone!

Mile High Champ
08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
I will say I am with Jose on this, I dont think this was done with bad intentions..

Kianwe
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

I personally would feel offended, angry, constipated, hostile, and in the mood to write a nasty letter if I saw any national team making fun of Monty - he's a good guy...

However, if they were making fun of Mounties, I would cry a little bit, rocking in the fetal postition in a corner somewhere feeling sad and violated - wearing my Monty costume and sucking my thumb.

For real though, not racism, just insensitivity...

baileybwoy
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
'I swear, we didn't think making light of the aesthetic appearance of a whole race could be offensive, I mean, who would've seen it that way?'

I don't buy it. They messed up.

The Wise 1
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Lol, what were they thinking. 12 year olds would even know thats wrong.

Bob_at_york
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I was watching the game between China and Spain yesterday, I had forgotten about this. It explains why thye booed Spain so much.

Bob_at_york
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I didn't know that this story was getting so much press. Jason Kidd comments on it and the story also talks about what Stern should do:

Before long, Kidd considered the consequences had those giddy European faces been substituted with those of Team USA.

“We would’ve been already thrown out of the Olympics,” he told Yahoo! Sports. “At least, we wouldn’t have been able to come back to the U.S. …There would be suspensions.”

And for his European peers, well, Kidd suggested, “They won’t do anything to them. It’s a double standard.”

Gasol is too smart, too sophisticated, to have let this happen. After practice Wednesday, he suggested that he wasn’t troubled with the photo on the merits of longstanding racial implications as much as he thought it wasn’t funny. The sponsor pushed and pushed them to pose, he said. They broke him down.

“It was supposed to be a picture that inspired the Olympic spirit,” Gasol said

Gasol and Calderon aren’t just accountable to Spain on this Olympic stage but the global corporate entity that pays them more than $130 million in pro contracts. The NBA could’ve delivered a ready rebuke on Wednesday and there was none.

They’ll dock you $50,000 for ripping an incompetent official, but you can get a pass on an orchestrated racial slur? Gasol is kidding himself to say that he was pushed into it. Do you think Kobe Bryant would’ve been pressured to pose this way? LeBron James? Gasol is a serious, sensitive player with the prestige and clout for Spain to step up and say: Forget it, fellas. This isn’t happening. Only he didn’t.

The story continues and the writer believes Stern will do nothing but he suggests suspensions should be considered because:

As some suggest he’ll do, Stern can’t dismiss this as the business of a federation team. These are NBA players returning to NBA cities this year. Never mind the host country and millions of fans here, but consider the Asian-American season ticket holders in cosmopolitan cities such as Toronto and Los Angeles. One of the reasons the New Jersey Nets traded for Yi Jianlian was to market him to a large Asian-American base in Metropolitan New York.

Link: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news;_ylt=AtSYTHmhu37A04HcttZo.3PqbwM6?slug=aw-nbaspainphoto081308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

killersweet
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
It may be a joke to some people, but people can be sensitive to these things. When you are in a foreign land, you should always consult them when you are going to pull controversial stuff. The marketing team should have at least gotten some feedback from the Chinese officials. Why put your country’s players through unnecessary scrutiny?

ramz.n
08-16-2008, 10:28 AM
i personally think its funny...they are not even pulling they're eyes back, if you look closely it looks like they are just pointing at they're eyes..i dont see anything wrong with having a little fun.

reevanson
08-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Gimma a break, it was a joke! This world (I should say the western word) has become so damn sensitive. The funniest thing about this situation is that its not an issue with the asian countries one Hong Kong writer said on CBC that "we arent as sensitive as the rest of the word on these kind on things, its not really an issue with us, there wasnt really any need for an apoligy but if there is we accept it and lets move on and enjoy the olympic spirit." (I may have got his wording wrong a little but it is basically what he said) People burn american flags or canadian flags and noone bats an eye but if a couple of guys pulls their eyes back its an international incident! I do admit it wasnt the most tasteful thing but give it a bloody rest!

JWalk126
08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
my brother thought it was hilarious, the funniest thing he saw in a week.

I didnt think it was SO funny, but I didnt think it was such a terrible thing that was done.

ramz.n
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Gimma a break, it was a joke! This world (I should say the western word) has become so damn sensitive. The funniest thing about this situation is that its not an issue with the asian countries one Hong Kong writer said on CBC that "we arent as sensitive as the rest of the word on these kind on things, its not really an issue with us, there wasnt really any need for an apoligy but if there is we accept it and lets move on and enjoy the olympic spirit." (I may have got his wording wrong a little but it is basically what he said) People burn american flags or canadian flags and noone bats an eye but if a couple of guys pulls their eyes back its an international incident! I do admit it wasnt the most tasteful thing but give it a bloody rest!

normally when that happens..people are drunk and start brawls...i saw someone burn a vince carter jersey beside his car infront of the acc...i remember when everyone would die for his jersey and look at it now burnt on the ground..but people seem to move on..this case will be closed when the regular season starts.