PDA

View Full Version : Too Little, Too Late... but...

smarkow
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
... we're finally starting to see the Miguel Cabrera that we traded for. In the past month and a half, he is absolutely killing the ball. He's up to .298/24/90 after last night. Those are pretty good considering how pitiful he looked in the first month or so of the season. With the way he's hitting, he may even help Magglio win the batting title for a second year in a row (3rd place with .318. 1st place is .322).

And, for those that are b**ching about him playing 1B, his Fielding Percentage is .992 at 1B. I know, i know...we didn't trade for him so that he could play 1B. but ***** happens and that's where he's playing...and excelling.

Bwangster12
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Wait I am confused... what is the difference where Miguel Cabrera plays? You traded for his bat... not for his 3B glove. Isn't Carlos Guillen just about done anyway? He's 32, in his last year of a huge contract and not really hitting.

From the little I know about the Tigers roster/minors... let Guillen go or bring him back for a much smaller deal... and plug in a prospect at 3B.

smarkow
08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
First off, i was referring to numerous posts made by other people on this message board. Since i've never seen a post made by you, you've obviously never seen them. The issue some people have with him playing 1B is that the Tigers already had numerous people that could play 1B and moving Cabrera there caused a major logjam, and moved Guillen to 3B, where he is not really suited to play...though I thikn he's done a wonderful job after a rocky first 2 weeks.

All that said, Guillen is signed through 2011 @ about $12m per year. My opinion is that guillen is still a solid player. He's still batting in the .290s. I don't think he's our problem. The problem with the tigers has been pitching, both starting and relief, and speed.

Bwangster12
08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
My understanding is that logjams take place when you have many of the same type of log that you are trying to shove into a single spot. Since Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Guillen, Brandon Inge... (insert name here) are players at drastically different levels... I don't see a logjam.

Miguel Cabrera is a superstar... a young superstar. Players like that play and then u shove your existing lesser players around them.

Carlos Guillen was originally a short stop. He was moved to a different position because he started to decline/wear down with age. He is not a good enough hitter to play 1B. Yes, I understand hes hitting 290, but he has 9 homers and is making like 12 million?

stanpapi
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
...the team's flexibility. No one expected Cabrera to be a gold glover at 3B, just hold his own. And we needed him to do that because we have a bunch of guys we could have worked in at first. That sets off a chain reaction where now you have to hide other guys (Guillen, Thames, Larrish) in positions where they don't really fit. That's the problem. In moving Cabrera to 1B, now we have to hide guys we were already trying to hide at 1B. Makes for a whole lot of poor to average fielding.

I mean, great Cabrera's learning to play first, Guillen is okay at 3rd and Thames is not bad in LF. And so what, there's no where to play Larrish. You see the problem now? They should all be playing first. Last thing we needed was another no glove-big bat guy to play first. Having Cabrera play first makes a bunch of guys more or less redundant, and we still don't have a real 3B who can both hit and play his position properly. Dude, you trade for your needs, and a 1B is not what we required.

Sheffies Chef
08-13-2008, 03:52 AM
My understanding is that logjams take place when you have many of the same type of log that you are trying to shove into a single spot. Since Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Guillen, Brandon Inge... (insert name here) are players at drastically different levels... I don't see a logjam.

Miguel Cabrera is a superstar... a young superstar. Players like that play and then u shove your existing lesser players around them.

Carlos Guillen was originally a short stop. He was moved to a different position because he started to decline/wear down with age. He is not a good enough hitter to play 1B. Yes, I understand hes hitting 290, but he has 9 homers and is making like 12 million?

uhhh, that has nothing to do with it. his footwork at first was real Sh***y. he isn't the prototypical 1B because of size, the dude's small. cabrera was going to end up as the 1B anyway, it was just supposed to be in five years or so IMO. it doesn't matter if he is hitting 9 homers or 29 homers. he is still hitting at a .290 clip and knocking in runs. plus his defense has been very good for a guy with his third position in two years.

Carlos was never a homerun hitter, never. his high point was last year with 21 IIRC. he has always been a .300 hitter, who can knock in runs, steal a few bases, and have SOME pop in his bat. in his last three, fully healthy years, he's hit 60 taters.

20 in '04
19 in '06
21 in '07

In his last three, fully healthy years, he's knocked in 285 runs IIRC

98 in '04
85 in '06
102 in '07

In his last three, fully healthy years, he's hit a very good .311

.318 in '04
.320 in '06
.296 in '07

So in '04, Carlos had this line: .318/20/98

In '06, Carlos had this line: .320/19/85

In '07, Carlos had this line: .296/21/102

So far in '08, Carlos has this line: .284/9/53

Per espn.com, At the end of '08, Carlos should have around this line:
.284/13/75

Not that bad of numbers bro. He's hitting, just not like the prototypical third baseman which is usually .250-.300/25-40/80+

Fact is, with Thames, Ordonez, Granderson, Inge, and especially Big Cabby, we have more than enough power, each is capable of excedding their avg./hr/rbi line for their respective positions.

Guillen with no power, is no problem.

JackB
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Plus Guillen is a switch hitter.

stanpapi
08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Everything is humming along just fine.

MSK55
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Miguel Cabrera = just as awesome as advertised.

I was disappointed at the beginning of the season (why wouldn't I be?), but he has picked things up in a big, big way. Thanks to his recent offensive explosion, now I don't look like a fool when I sport my #24 jersey around town.