PDA

View Full Version : Brad Thompson or Jamie Garcia? You Decide '08.

BradJackson
08-12-2008, 02:47 AM
As you know, Carp will more than likely miss his next scheduled start on Friday. As given the circumstances we must decide between (most likely) Brad Thompson and Jamie Garcia. Who do you like? why and why not?

Brad Thompson

4W 2L 4.34ERA 19G 45.2IP 49H 22R 22ER 3HR 1HBP 16BB 26SO

Jamie Garcia
1W 1L 3.27ERA 6G 11.0IP 7H 4R 4ER 2HR 1HBP 4BB 7SO

I like Brad Thompson. He has much more starting experience. and though 49 hits in 45 innings pitched isn't the best stat in the world. His 22 earned runs in 45 innings pitched just seems a little more welcoming than 4 earned runs in 11 innings pitched. Though equally bad, i would still have to lean towards experience. His last couple of appearances have sucked though. and it would be fantastic experience for Garcia considering the thought of him being in the rotation next year.
i think Tony and Dave should flip a coin.

Make their own luck, if you will :p (Harvey Dent)

Vegasguy80
08-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I would rather Mitchel Boggs come back and start. And if that doesn't happen I would want Garcia to start. He has been fine for us. I like Thompson in long relief. Plus he has been giving up some hits lately.

rick66ankiel24
08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
i want garcia to make the start hes a young lefty that has a lot of potential.. i didnt think he was ready to start but two nights ago i saw him set down d lee, aramas and edmonds 1 2 3 in the 8th and id say thats pretty impressive

m2j3
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Brad Thompson, has some crazy stuff. He's a more experience pitcher than Garcia.

BearBird83
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Definitely start Garcia! It has been made obvious by tony and dave Babyface won't ever be a starter on this staff so might as well let a guy start who still has a shot at being in this rotation in the future. Not that I don't like thompson I would just rather see garcia.

Kyle man
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm sure it'll be Garcia. I'd rather have Wainwright start now. I think Carp will/needs to miss a couple more starts.

stlfan544
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Jaime Garcia would be the best bet for the fill in start he's pitched pretty well so far to this point.

Thompson is better off in the relief role, he's doing a decent job in the role, I would like to see Kyle McClellan as a starter but thats definitely probably not going to happen because of the success he's having as a reliever.

RiffRaff
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
IMO Thompson has earned it.

However, I think his long term role in St. Louis will and should be middle relief so it depends on what his future is within the organization. Want to trade him? Maybe a spot start will show case him a bit.

Anyway, I think I'm overanalyzing it a bit.

I would definetly be more excited to see Garcia, I think/hope he will be a succesful regular in the St. Louis starting five sooner rather than later.

timh9783
08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
A few weeks ago, I would have said Garcia for sure because the Reds were much more lefthanded. Now with Griffey and Dunn gone, I don't know that the righty/lefty matchups will matter all that much.

Anyone know who the Reds fare better against this year, righty or lefty? Im sure Tony will account for that.

SportsFan1988
08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Definitely Brad Thompson. He's pitched really well for us all year long, and IMO deserves the opportunity to start.

bpmd2k
08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Brad Thompson could be one of the worst pitchers I have seen outside of Franklin and Izzy's performances this year. I would never want a sinkerball pitcher who has no sink on the ball... babyface sucks, no way he should get to pitch...

adrew35
08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
imo i would want garcia to start because as of right now he has been looking good.

davewave
08-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I will go with Garcia first. If he gets rockd early pull him and put in Thompson. I wold like to see what some of the kids can do considering we will not catch the Cubs or Brewers. I am a huge Cardinal fan, but I don't think that we could beat either one of those teams in a 5 or 7 game series.They are a little more consistent than the Cardinals.

stlfan544
08-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Looks like it's going to be Brad Thompson on friday. Hopefully the kid can perform well and get the job done, while pitching a solid game.