PDA

View Full Version : Catching Prospects We May Trade For:

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't know why everyone is sold on Teagarden from the Texas organization. He is hitting .234 in in 53 games in AAA. He is only hitting .192 in his last 10 games. Kottaras is hitting .242 in 94 games in AAA this season and .300 in his last 10 games. I figure it still is the Red Sox front office so let's swing for the fences and go for our catcher of the future. Any production around .250 is an upgrade to Varitek right now and Tek can groom the kid to handle our rotation. I would like us to go after someone like Rob Johnson in Seattle's organization. Johnson is hitting .308 right now with 28 doubles and Seattle needs pitching. They also have Jeff Clement as their starting catcher at 24 and Johjima behind him. Thoughts?

NESports2004
08-12-2008, 12:28 AM
price would be to high for Johnson...i dont want to sell the farm for a catching prospect.

Kottaras IMO at least deserves a chance to show what he can do in the big leagues if he doesnt work out then you make a deal for someone.

Crucis
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Isn't the rap on Kottaras that his defense is subpar?

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Lowell Spinners have a catching prospect that IMHO going to be pretty good and rise really fast. His 2.0 seconds on his throws to 2b are incredible. He threw out two in his Fenway debut. Kid has an electric arm, hopefully his bat is good enough.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Tim%20Federowicz&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543148

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 07:59 AM
price would be to high for Johnson...i dont want to sell the farm for a catching prospect.

Kottaras IMO at least deserves a chance to show what he can do in the big leagues if he doesnt work out then you make a deal for someone.

First, can you suggest why the price would be too high? They've apparently settled on their catcher of the future and a very high priced backup. They don't need the catching unless they make a move. He's very expendable.

Second, when is the price "too high" if you're getting something that you lack at the highest levels of your organization? I think this is just an assertion based on his numbers.

Isn't the rap on Kottaras that his defense is subpar?

Yes. He converted to baseball from fast pitch softball (Canada, eh?) at 16 and has always been considered behind in both his defensive abilities generally and his game calling more specifically. IMO he won't ever make more than a passing backup if he even makes MLB.

I'm regularly stumped why people keep talking about Kottaras over Brown anyway. Brown has been known as a defensively minded catcher and is very solid behind the plate, but now he is even outproducing Kottaras at the plate: .278/.374/.842 vs .234/.349/.814

Lowell Spinners have a catching prospect that IMHO going to be pretty good and rise really fast. His 2.0 seconds on his throws to 2b are incredible. He threw out two in his Fenway debut. Kid has an electric arm, hopefully his bat is good enough.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Tim%20Federowicz&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543148

You're like a crack addict with those UNC boys. :p

Federowicz and Lavarnway were very good pickups in the draft this year. If the Sox can get through a couple of years with Tek and a short timer one of these guys could make an impact soon.

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 08:11 AM
They have the BEST program. I am NOT a carolina guy though. UCONN baby......
Except baseball. lol

I watched him play a few times the kid has lightning in his arm. AL catchers batting avg .256 overall , he can probably give us that at some point.
His defense is stifling. He would make Scioscia think twice.

They have a pitcher down there right now I'd LOVE to have. Matt Harvey!

knittingmill
08-12-2008, 08:53 AM
kottaras bats left and has 20 or more homers. his offense is very interesting if you want to get tek to bat only right-handed or pinch hit for him. isn't everybody still high on exposito?

Tragedy
08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Future Catcher = Matt Cooney, C, Lowell Spinners. :clap:

Nah, that's just a pipe dream. I went to the same high school with him.

How much longer will this thread last before we hear Salty's name?

acecrusher06
08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
salty..

homie564
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
dio u guys realize in single A we have ryan lavarnway ... hes unbelieveably hyped and has a great bat

SCOUTING REPORT (3/1): Lavarnway assembled one of the best seasons in the country as a sophomore at Yale, leading the nation with a .467 batting average and .873 slugging percentage. In the process, he set school records for average, home runs (14) and RBIs (55). His raw power wasn’t as readily apparent during the summer in the New England Collegiate League, but he routinely put on an impressive power display during batting practice and showed a good short stroke during games, though was prone to pulling balls and not using the whole field. He also showed excellent plate discipline, walking 32 times while hitting .313-3-22 overall. Not everyone is convinced Lavarnway’s future is behind the plate though, because he is somewhat crude mechanically and his feet and transfer are slow. But he receives balls easily and showed above-average arm strength at the beginning of the summer before tiring down the stretch. Lavarnway spent much of last spring in the outfield at Yale, but lacks the speed to play the position on an everyday basis. Scouts believe he just needs more time behind the plate to work out some of the wrinkles.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/draft/2008/Rounds/round6.aspx

ThreeIfBaerga
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Rob Johnson is crap, why would anyone want him? He's 24 and has a .714 career minor league OPS. He's minor league filler.

KingPapelbon
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM

I love how you see a NESN piece of a player, and suddenly everybody's an expert. Hilarious.

The future catcher, post Varitek, in my opinion is still Mark Wagner.

Towelie
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Wagner Konttras and exposito are all not going to be a future anything unless it's a future minor league lifers.

quiksilver2491
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
IDK why there is the perception on this forum that we can just replace Tek overnight with some catching prospect. I think we let Tek walk after this year and then get some stop gap catcher such as Gerald Laird until we can bring up someone like Lavarnway.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
IDK why there is the perception on this forum that we can just replace Tek overnight with some catching prospect. I think we let Tek walk after this year and then get some stop gap catcher such as Gerald Laird until we can bring up someone like Lavarnway.

I think the idea is to have Tek groom the new catcher.

Wake's Fastball
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm really still convinced Exposito could make an impact in the future. Lavarnway seems like a very legitimate prospect as well.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Two words PAUL LO DUCA :D

homie564
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm really still convinced Exposito could make an impact in the future. Lavarnway seems like a very legitimate prospect as well.

lol ive been mentioning lavarnway several times lol he seems like he could really be something special the guy wasjust drafted this year and is already with lowell is supposedly exppected to be ready for portland next year and possible by late august early september to be promoted to AAA at only age 22 he should be ready for the big leagues in 2 or 3 years

quiksilver2491
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I think the idea is to have Tek groom the new catcher.

I don't think that would be neccessary. His job isn't to teach young catchers, he gets paid to play baseball. The Sox might try to resign him for a 1-2 year deal because there aren't any other viable options at catcher, and even though he is represented by Scott Boras, I doubt any team values Tek as much as we do.

The Intimidator
08-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Quite simply, I think that the catching situation will solve itself. If none of the guys we have in the minors right now pan out, we will end up acquiring an established catcher down the line. For now, however, we need to learn to live with Varitek's slow bat. There are plenty of team who would love to have him around, because of his work with the pitching staff. Everyone acknowledges what he has done with the pitchers, but I don't think everyone quite comprehends how important he is. Our pitchers, with the exception of Buchholz maybe, feel comfortable with him, and he makes them better. 4 no-hitters (Nomo 2001, Lowe 2002, Buchholz 2007, Lester 2008) help to illustrate how good he is at calling a game. That is why they will re-sign Tek this off-season. He will probably bat ninth, but I'll take his leadership and defense any day.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
lol ive been mentioning lavarnway several times lol he seems like he could really be something special the guy wasjust drafted this year and is already with lowell is supposedly exppected to be ready for portland next year and possible by late august early september to be promoted to AAA at only age 22 he should be ready for the big leagues in 2 or 3 years

Where are you seeing he's "expected" to be in AA next year? Sounds pretty made up to me. He's behind Exposito, who is already in High-A and more than holding his own. Lowell is exactly where college players go when drafted, so it's not all that amazing that he's "already with Lowell". Catchers move slower than most position players because they have to learn to call a game.

He'll have to pass Federowicz (also "already with Lowell" and has more BB than K), Exposito, Wagner, Brown and Kottaras. They've got great catching depth all of the sudden, they just need to take the time to let them advance. I don't think there's a real need to go out of the organization for the catcher of the future, and it's not like Tek is the only guy in the world who knows how to prepare for a game. I'm sure the FO has some sort of system in place to teach these kids how to run a pitching staff.

lil'papi
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
^^ Well said and exactly! People way over estimate Tek's game calling and others ability , as if , they can't call a game. It comes down to feel and study.

One trend that is bothering more and more about Tek is he lets a giant amount of balls to slip out of his glove. You shouldn't be throwing to first on K's anywhere near as much as he does.
Not sure anyone else has noticed. Maybe it being a pet peeve I just notice it more. Not sure....

RedSoxtober
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Realistically, what are the Sox options next year in the catching department with Tek waning , Kottaras not really taking it to the next level and Cash basically as Wakes caddy?

Peter_Gammons
They've spent a half year looking for young catchers in other organizations so they are prepared should Varitek get a 3-or-4 year deal somewhere else. My guess is that they'll make a run at Jarod Salt. in Texas or Mike Napoli with the Angels, but they may have to forge some kind of platoon with someone like Brian Schneider and hope that the next couple of years they can develop a Mark Wagner or a Luis Exposito. Remember, the average production from the catching position per team as of this morning was a .251 ave. with 10 homers and 52 RBIs. The 2005 Jason Varitek is not going to be out there.

Source: Boston Globe

IMO Gammons is off base here. I don't see the Sox trying to land Salty and I don't think there is any way the Angels would do a deal with the Sox.

Towelie
08-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Cause some are hearing the Rangers like the other options they have over Salty.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Rangers will HAVE to part with some players to get pitching. I did notice salty catching lastnight. Show cased? I would send them Colon/Byrd this winter. :D They can live with less offense maybe throw in Lugo for Young? We can give them a pitching prospect too like Zink.

Rangers make sense. We got some pitching they got some catching.

How about hamilton for drew? while i'm rollin....

Towelie
08-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Bowden/Clay/Masterson for Salty could work.Giving them a MLB ready top prospect has gotta make it worth it for them.

RedSoxtober
08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Cause some are hearing the Rangers like the other options they have over Salty.

Which is exactly why the Sox would not be interested. To me it's not a matter of whether or not the Rangers would move him but whether or not he'd be worth the move. I don't think so.

lil'papi
08-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Bowden Clay and Masterson for Salty? hahahahahaha That's Theo while taking the call. hahahahahaha after he gets off the phone.

I prefer Laird. If we give up a bigtime prospect.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
DH: Are you comfortable at this point in your career with giving your catcher a lot of say in your pitch selection?
RL: Every catcher that I have worked with professionally has impressed me greatly with their game calling abilities. Somewhere along the line, someone mentioned that the catcher is just the suggestor and the pitcher is the one with the control. It is always the pitcher's final say with what gets thrown but I have really been impressed with the catchers, especially here. They keep detailed notebooks on hitters which I have the opportunity to look at prior to games. I give them considerable control as I don't really know the hitters here that well yet.

Just reinforcing my idea that it's not just Tek who can call a game. The organization has a plan people. . .

Crucis
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Bowden Clay and Masterson for Salty? hahahahahaha That's Theo while taking the call. hahahahahaha after he gets off the phone.

I think that he meant one of those three, not all three.

Towelie
08-14-2008, 10:02 PM

the / means "or", ******. Noticed how I said Prospect, not prospects.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM

I read it the same way Towelie. I thought by "one major league ready prospect" you meant only that one of the three prospects was ML ready.

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM

sorry there SFB's.....

I usually read your posts (with no insight whatsoever)quickly.

I also didnt know / meant "or" thank's for clairifying SFB's.

Towelie
08-16-2008, 09:58 AM
So when you see other post like, Hamilton, Kinsler, Murphy/Salty. it must mean all 4. Not Hamilton,Kinsler, Murphy or Salty.

lil'papi
08-16-2008, 10:04 AM
So if I said we should trade buchholz/lester/beckett for salty......thats means "or"?

you know what I'll move on.......

After re-reading your post I stand corrected. okay......

I want Laird not Salty anyway. But neither will happen.

Towelie
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Let me say this Texas is very smart with the trades and drafting of Catchers, they seem to be the only team really with a surplus of catching and should net them a very nice return.

futureheisman
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
max ramirez for michael bowden

Towelie
08-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Max Ramirez for Bowden we get taken to the cleaners. Teagarden would have to be for Bowden and even then I would have to wait and think about it. Ramirez isn't even a top 10 talent in a garbage Rangers system.

laxtonto
08-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Rameriz is easily a top 10 talent in the Rangers organization. Most of the major rankings have Ramirez falling in the 30-60 range in the top 100 next year if not lower....

As far as a garbage system... Texas has the better ranked system than Boston, especially with the graduation of Elsbury and buchholz and Lowrie.

Towelie
08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
:laugh:

baseball America disagrees:

1. Rays
2. Red Sox
3. Reds
4. Rangers
5. Yankees
6. Dodgers
7. Rockies
8. Braves
9. Nationals
10. Angels
11. Mariners
12. Padres
13. Cardinals
14. Marlins
15. Diamondbacks
16. Orioles
17. Mets
18. Twins
19. Indians
20. Cubs
21. Brewers
22. Phillies
23. Giants
24. Royals
25. Blue Jays
26. Pirates
27. A’s
28. White Sox
29. Tigers
30. Astros

Lets see who has Rameriz at top 10 and then top 30.

Baseball America doesn't. Rangers only have 5 prospects in the top 100. So he't not only not in the top 10, but not even in the top 100. However I wasn't correct in saying Rangers have a **** farm system, didn't realize in a year they've gotten tons better. Baseball Prospectus doesn't have Max in the top 100 either. Teagarden on the other hand is in top 10 and in both top 100.

laxtonto
08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Once again, all those rankings are 8 months old.. read the chat transcripts from throughout the season, or for that mattter BA hotlist for May 23rd, June 3rd, or July 3rd. There is a reason why he was on BA's Mid Season all-star team.

Ramirez's was not rated in Texas top 10 because BA didn't think he would stick at C, he has now proved otherwise. I guess there is a reason Texas has so many Catchers, their development program in that department is one of the tops in the MiLB. So far his biggest draw back is his game calling, but that comes with time.

And what part of next year did you not see?

Rameriz is easily a top 10 talent in the Rangers organization. Most of the major rankings have Ramirez falling in the 30-60 range in the top 100 next year if not lower....

As far as a garbage system... Texas has the better ranked system than Boston, especially with the graduation of Elsbury and buchholz and Lowrie.

Towelie
08-17-2008, 01:02 AM
He's in single A now so what makes you think if we even made a trade for him that he could catch for us next season?

Also you said he's easily a top 10 talent of Rangers, then show me a list now where he is a top 10. Cause BA, and BP both say he's not. Also didn't realize you have some sort of in with BA, and BP due to you know where he will fall next year.

athlete9393
08-17-2008, 01:51 AM

i hope he hits like he throws.

laxtonto
08-17-2008, 04:18 AM
He's in single A now so what makes you think if we even made a trade for him that he could catch for us next season?

Also you said he's easily a top 10 talent of Rangers, then show me a list now where he is a top 10. Cause BA, and BP both say he's not. Also didn't realize you have some sort of in with BA, and BP due to you know where he will fall next year.

Man, know what your talking about. Ramirez has played 13 games for the MLB club and is currently on the DL in AAA with a hip flexor injuryafter starting the season in AA. As far where he would fall, read the chat transcripts for BA or BP this year. Your making a fool of yourself.

lil'papi
08-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Man, know what your talking about. Ramirez has played 13 games for the MLB club and is currently on the DL in AAA with a hip flexor injuryafter starting the season in AA. As far where he would fall, read the chat transcripts for BA or BP this year. Your making a fool of yourself.

A guy after my own heart. :D

I'd take him too. Not sure who I might give up though. Texas looks to have the best opportunity for both teams.

We could use a youngster to come in behind Tek and completely take over for him the next yr. I just don't value catchers as high as some people do.

Towelie
08-17-2008, 10:51 AM

He's played 1 game in AAA, and the only reason he came up was cause of injury to Laird. Then he only played 69 games for AA, he's hardly what I would call MLB ready, he's barley green enough to play in AAA. I guess we will wait and see with him in the top 100 or top 10.

http://www.projectprospect.com/article/2007/07/05/top-10-catching-prospects-inseason

Oh, and check this out top 25 of non-top 100 players. So Aug 6th and he's still not a top 100.

http://www.projectprospect.com/article/2008/08/06/top-25-nontop-100-prospects

Towelie
08-17-2008, 11:01 AM
A guy after my own heart. :D

I'd take him too. Not sure who I might give up though. Texas looks to have the best opportunity for both teams.

We could use a youngster to come in behind Tek and completely take over for him the next yr. I just don't value catchers as high as some people do.

After your heart cause like you he's got no idea what he's talking about. Max isn't better than teagarden without a doubt even though everyone from BA, and BP agree with me, I guess I'm wrong cause some chat transcript say he's some good things about him, despite teagarden continuing to be the better prospect.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-17-2008, 11:49 AM
After your heart cause like you he's got no idea what he's talking about. Max isn't better than teagarden without a doubt even though everyone from BA, and BP agree with me, I guess I'm wrong cause some chat transcript say he's some good things about him, despite teagarden continuing to be the better prospect.

Ramirez would help the Sox more, simply because his bat is MLB ready. If they want someone who's likely to hit ~.230 at the major league level why not just hold onto their prospects and let Tek keep playing, at least they get to keep the continuity.

laxtonto
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe Ramirez is in AA because to start t he season Texas had Laird and Melhouse in the Majors, Salty and Teagarden in AAA...

That leaves Ramirez in AA...Where is it that hes in A ball?

To complain that a guy is in AA or saying that he is not ready just because of he is stuck behind 3 catchers that are better than anything in the Sox's system is short sighted.

The next question is where do you get it in your stick skull that i referenced Ramirez is better than Teagarden? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Teagarden's major drawback is that hes injury prone and their are questions about his ability to hit for enough average long term. Ramirez has questions regarding his receiving skills and game calling.

Going into the season Teagrden was ranked as a B+ and Ramirez a B by Sickels.

The problem is that like everyone else, you overvalue your own teams prospects and undervalue your opponents.

As far as the project prospect's list, that a list of all players not included in the top 100 of any publication before the season started. If hes 6th now, would common sense dictate that since well over 27 if the BA top 100 has graduated hes going to be in the top 100...

Read more than just the prospect lists, read the writeup from the people that write the prospect lists. It will help you look less of a fool when trying to determine value. Its like using a price list for components 8 moths old to determine a bid for a project. Prospects like, any commodity, have fluid value.

Towelie
08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe Ramirez is in AA because to start t he season Texas had Laird and Melhouse in the Majors, Salty and Teagarden in AAA...

That leaves Ramirez in AA...Where is it that hes in A ball?
Are you kidding me? Look at his stats, why would Texas put him anywhere else but A+ or AA? He hasn't ever been in AA other than in the texas system in this year! SO why the hell would Texas put him in AAA to start the season?

To complain that a guy is in AA or saying that he is not ready just because of he is stuck behind 3 catchers that are better than anything in the Sox's system is short sighted.

To say that the only reason why he's not in AAA is cause he's jammed is ********! Cause it's not true, it's cause prior to this year he was never in AA.

The next question is where do you get it in your stick skull that i referenced Ramirez is better than Teagarden? They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Teagarden's major drawback is that hes injury prone and their are questions about his ability to hit for enough average long term. Ramirez has questions regarding his receiving skills and game calling.

Going into the season Teagrden was ranked as a B+ and Ramirez a B by Sickels. You keep saying Ramirez, I don't know why cause Teagarden is a top 100 prospect, and if were giving up a top 100 prospect, I expect one back in return no matter the position. Max, has been hurt two times this season, and Max has had knee problems before. Teagarden on the other hand I don't believe is ready as well due to how little minor league time he's had.

The problem is that like everyone else, you overvalue your own teams prospects and undervalue your opponents.

As far as the project prospect's list, that a list of all players not included in the top 100 of any publication before the season started. If hes 6th now, would common sense dictate that since well over 27 if the BA top 100 has graduated hes going to be in the top 100...

Read more than just the prospect lists, read the writeup from the people that write the prospect lists. It will help you look less of a fool when trying to determine value. Its like using a price list for components 8 moths old to determine a bid for a project. Prospects like, any commodity, have fluid value.

Did you not look at the link? 25 not in the top 100 according to them. I read write up but take way to much time to look up unlike list that just give the facts.

I also don't value Boston prospects too high, I suggested Bowden/Masterson both were top 3 prospects with bowden being our best prospect. SO explain how I value the Red Sox prospects too much

The Intimidator
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Are you kidding me? Look at his stats, why would Texas put him anywhere else but A+ or AA? He hasn't ever been in AA other than in the texas system in this year! SO why the hell would Texas put him in AAA to start the season?

To say that the only reason why he's not in AAA is cause he's jammed is ********! Cause it's not true, it's cause prior to this year he was never in AA.
You keep saying Ramirez, I don't know why cause Teagarden is a top 100 prospect, and if were giving up a top 100 prospect, I expect one back in return no matter the position. Max, has been hurt two times this season, and Max has had knee problems before. Teagarden on the other hand I don't believe is ready as well due to how little minor league time he's had.

Did you not look at the link? 25 not in the top 100 according to them. I read write up but take way to much time to look up unlike list that just give the facts.

I also don't value Boston prospects too high, I suggested Bowden/Masterson both were top 3 prospects with bowden being our best prospect. SO explain how I value the Red Sox prospects too much

you don't overvalue them, that guy doesn't know what he's talkin about.

RedSoxtober
08-18-2008, 08:09 AM

You keep saying Ramirez, I don't know why cause Teagarden is a top 100 prospect, and if were giving up a top 100 prospect, I expect one back in return no matter the position. Max, has been hurt two times this season, and Max has had knee problems before. Teagarden on the other hand I don't believe is ready as well due to how little minor league time he's had.

Towelie you look like a fool. laxtonto knows the Rangers system a hell of a lot better than you and spends the kind of time looking at their prospects that you (sometimes) spend with ours. The argument that you're having would be a lot similar to someone on the outside saying, "Masterson? WTF? He's not in the top 100 why the hell would the Twins take him over Buchholz?" last winter. Folks inside the organization realized how high Masterson's ceiling was and that's why he got a shot early in the season. Same likely goes for the Rangers with Teagarden (the prospect talked about hear often... though I doubt you've really been following him either) and Ramirez.

Personally I'm not totally sold on either one but .230 would still outhit Tek...

lil'papi
08-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah, its everyone else. :rolleyes:

I love the personal attacks , name calling, when in fact it's you that has no clue.
You give no insight and argue about the most irrelevant things. Then argue about a listing thats literally old by scouting standards. Guys move up and down almost monthly in minor league BB. (player ranking evals)

Super talents move up so fast an online rating system is out dated two days later. Nevermind 8 months.

RedSoxtober
08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Cincinnati Reds catcher David Ross has drawn interest from the Red Sox and Phillies, reports Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports. Ross would battle with Kevin Cash for time as the Sox backup. Ross was released as the struggling Reds audition AAA catcher Ryan Hanigan, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Ross, 31, hit 17 homers in 311 ABs in 2007, and 21 homers in 247 ABs in 2006. He also owns a .390 OBP this season, despite hitting .231 with 3 homers (51 games of action).
Source: Boston Globe

yaowowrocket11
08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Damn, Ross sounds like a pretty good hitter.

laxtonto
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Career.310 OBP, considered a poor receiver and average to below average defensively behind the plate. Used to drive all my freinds that are Reds fans Crazy behind the dish. The guy does have pop though.

As a backup.I would all for it, as a starter, man there has to be better options

Wake's Fastball
08-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I can't help but think of Dougie when I see Ross' name. I've got to think if they bring him in and dump Cash that it's yet another sign that Wakefield might not be back this year.

RedSoxtober
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
I can't help but think of Dougie when I see Ross' name. I've got to think if they bring him in and dump Cash that it's yet another sign that Wakefield might not be back this year.

I view him only as insurance against a worst-case scenario.

futureheisman
09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
a repot ofn mlbtraderumors.com has the sox go after salty

The Intimidator
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
There's already a thread for that...